Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2019 9:36:09 PM EDT
I'm thinking that the shit that Willis did in the movie is not possible in modern elevators. Does anyone work for OTIS that can confirm?
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Like shoot the steel cable holding the counter weight?  That act alone is near impossible just to splice steel with 3 rounds of 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:41:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Did a little bit of commercial HVAC, looked at a fan in an older elevator shaft once.

To the best of my knowledge there are roof hatches on the cars, they are bolted closed from the outside/top though.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:42:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Sometimes you can get through the top if you take apart the ceiling.  Most of the time they lower the car and open the doors to get on top.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like shoot the steel cable holding the counter weight?  That act alone is near impossible just to splice steel with 3 rounds of 9mm.
View Quote
Yeah, no one is shooting through cables or ridding counter weights. You certainly could throw a CRT monitor down the shaft if so inclined.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You could prob. punch your way out the top of the cab if you are determined, esp. newer elevs they are very tinny. Yes tinny not tiny. But once you do the ride is over. An old timer once told me If you cant lay down in the elevator(too full) dont get on the elevator. I work On elevs for a living.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Pick up the phone and or push the button and call for help...

Most you can pry the door open and escape, you may be in between floors...

Make's me think of Final Destination

Final Destination 2 - Nora Carpenter's Death
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:09:30 PM EDT
[#7]
You have no cables if it’s hydraulic lift so no shooting cables, but I think hydros are limited to 5ish? Stops. The hatch on top is for rescue workers to open from the outside so not getting out easily.  Then you have the auto brakes which would kick in if you planned to drop it. Basically I’d need a well stocked toolbox with a couple of decent power tools and about 3 hours to recreate his shenanigans.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Not me ,but my security goat would kick ass
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:13:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Resident Evil 2002 - Elevator Scene
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#11]
The top is bolted on from the outside.  Half a dozen people got stuck in an elevator at my work about 5 years back.  Can’t remember who did it but took them a few hours to get the lid off for them to crawl out.
Link Posted: 7/13/2019 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#12]
IME, when I  was in college 30 years ago and the elevators were probably about ten years old, you could just push sideways on the inner doors.
The doors would open and the elevator would stop moving.
Flip a couple of latches and you could open the outer doors and climb out, or walk out if you happened to be at a floor instead of between floors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top