BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me once Kurtz became responsible for Chef's death, all bets are off. He's now responsible for the murder of a US serviceman, whether he personally did it or not. Up until then he was just mercilessly taking the fight to the enemy and accomplishing what all the brass would not. Killing an American would've made it easy for me, and that's how I would've handled it. No hesitation.

Oh... and "Redux" completely sucked.

View Quote

^this.  

AN is the only movie with Martin Sheen i ever really liked.  Was he good in anything else?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:00:06 AM EDT
[#2]
as soon as I arrived on the boat, I would have called in an Arc Light strike then turned the boat around and never even gotten off
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

...and surviving.
It's my dream....... it's my nightmare.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
“” on the edge.....
...of a straight razor......””

...and surviving.

How Do Snails Navigate Razor Blades Safely?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

^this.  

AN is the only movie with Martin Sheen i ever really liked.  Was he good in anything else?
View Quote

Good?  He made an impression on me in his first movie, "The Incident," in which he played a despicable, sadistic criminal.  It seemed to come so naturally to him.  So either it was great acting, or....

I can't say I enjoyed the movie or his character, but both were notable.  Painful to watch.  And another movie where if anyone had had CCW, it would have been a short movie.

The Incident (1967) MOVIE TRAILER - 50 YEAR ANNIVERSARY

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:15:02 PM EDT
[#5]
...."the will.....    to do that...... if I had 10 divisions of those men, our troubles here would be over very quickly."
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:15:37 PM EDT
[#6]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
“” on the edge.....
...of a straight razor......””

...and surviving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60vOrJsGYu0

Like and  ??
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:17:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Did I miss a scene, or was my Alzheimer's kicking in 30 years before I thought?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I probably wouldn't make it any farther up river after I got laid!

the Redux version (director's cut) added in a scene with the Bunnies and a scene in a French plantation
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I probably wouldn't make it any farther up river after I got laid!

He's referring to scene in the Redux abortion.

You didn't miss anything, trust me.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd be wearing this!
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:29:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Not going to fit up your ass.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

but intentionally not an easy read.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For anyone that hasn't, read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It's the book the movie is based off and is stupidly good. And short for you lazy bastards.

but intentionally not an easy read.

Most Conrad isn’t.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

^this.  

View Quote

I loved him in Wall Street.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:42:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For anyone that hasn't, read Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. It's the book the movie is based off and is stupidly good. And short for you lazy bastards.
View Quote

Free on kindle.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:46:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Like an errand boy.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#15]

The reissue of the Willard is like $3000...
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
With a fucking spear.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:10:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

^this.  

Martin Sheen was good in The Dead Zone - a Stephen King movie, IIRC.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:18:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Kurtz planned his death, Willard was the instrument.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you were Willard.  You had no choice.  You killed Kurtz or he had you killed.  That was the Colonels plan all along.

Chef was right.  Never leave the boat.

Kurtz planned his death, Willard was the instrument.

"Exterminate them all"

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#19]
For the people who say call in the airstrike, and turn around and leave, did you forget the massive amount of heavily armed followers of Kurtz?

I think they'd massacre you before you got the boat turned around.

The only reason they were restrained at arrival is because Kurtz told them not to kill Willard before they met.

And "never leaving the boat" wouldn't have helped Chef in the end, he was gonna be fodder.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:30:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Like an errand boy.
View Quote

sent by grocery clerks, to collect a bill
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:33:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
For the people who say call in the airstrike, and turn around and leave, did you forget the massive amount of heavily armed followers of Kurtz?

The only reason they were restrained at arrival is because Kurtz told them not to kill Willard before they met.

And "never leaving the boat" wouldn't have helped Chef in the end, he was gonna be fodder.
View Quote

It appears he was grabbed while ON the boat.  Last scene with him alive is on the boat, waking up and apparently going to the radio to call in the air strike.  

Maybe the line should be "Get off the fucking boat!"
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Chef wasn't ever really wired into his surroundings. Aware. He said so. Willard said he was wound too tight. He followed orders. Kurtz knew what Willard was going to have Chef do. The jungle spoke to everyone- but Chef.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

^this.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For me once Kurtz became responsible for Chef's death, all bets are off. He's now responsible for the murder of a US serviceman, whether he personally did it or not. Up until then he was just mercilessly taking the fight to the enemy and accomplishing what all the brass would not. Killing an American would've made it easy for me, and that's how I would've handled it. No hesitation.

Oh... and "Redux" completely sucked.

^this.  

He's just another professional Hollywood pretender- good at what he does but outside of his craft he really just needs to keep his fuckin' trap shut. And he talks… A LOT. If you look at interviews, he really seems like a total jack-ass in real life.

I remember as a kid I saw "The Final Countdown" which was pretty cool. He plays a reporter on a nuclear powered aircraft carrier that gets sucked back in time to potentially prevent Pearl Harbor. Aside from that he was pretty good in "The Departed" as Boston State PD's chief of undercover ops or something like that. He established himself to me as a typical loose-lipped liberal jerk-off pretty quick so I never gave a shit about his films… outside Apocalypse Now.

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If you're a Conrad fan, "Ad Astra" is another take on Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" as well.  "Darkness" is a symbolic journey into the mind of man, and as the story progresses things start to unravel, and get weirder and weirder. You are on a journey into insanity. If you notice in "Apocalypse Now" every time the boat stops things get more surreal, more bizarre. Same thing goes for Ad Astra. Every time Brad Pitt/"Roy McBride" stops along his journey out things get darker and more insane. Both destinations met with an expedition leader playing God just as in "Heart of Darkness." Both films were renditions of Conrad's novel, although "Apocalypse" was clearly much more effective.

View Quote

The book "The Valley" by John Renehan is similar in many ways
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
"Charging a man with murder in this place was like handing out speeding tickets in the Indy 500."
View Quote

Nothing like a piece of pussy, 'cept maybe the Indy 500!

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Chef wasn't ever really wired into his surroundings. Aware. He said so. Willard said he was wound too tight. He followed orders. Kurtz knew what Willard was going to have Chef do. The jungle spoke to everyone- but Chef.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chef "I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? Fuck! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here. So whaddya wanna do? I'll kill the fuck."
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:21:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I think the original script had Kurtz shooting a machinegun at attacking helicopters screaming, "I can feel the power in my loins!!!"

Milius was a weird dude.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:29:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, the original script had Kurtz, Willard & Co making a last stand as Kilgore's boys were assaulting the compound. I don't think any of those scenes ever got filmed. There is footage out there of early filming where Harvey Keitel was playing Willard. There was some kind of huge fallout on set and Coppola fired him but IIRC a significant number of scenes were shot. There somewhere out in the Googlesphere.

There's a film about the making of Apocalypse Now called "Hearts of Darkness" that illustrates what a complete disaster the production was. Filming literally almost killed Coppola and Sheen, and when the smoke cleared I think it took 5 years to make. It was an absolute logistical nightmare. If you're an "Apocalypse" fan it's required viewing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I would not kill Kurtz.

Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:20:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would not kill Kurtz.

View Quote

Go on.....
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:22:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I think the original script had Kurtz shooting a machinegun at attacking helicopters screaming, "I can feel the power in my loins!!!"

Milius was a weird dude.
View Quote

Sounds like that guy took on just a wee too much... spiral power.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I would not kill Kurtz.

View Quote

Captain Colby?
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 12:30:38 PM EDT
[#34]
The Roach knew who was in charge.

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top