Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:

Taiwan isn't China.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lexustech48:
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

I've been told here, repeatedly, that Chinese people cannot innovate, they can only copy.

Taiwan isn't China.

Mainland China is just communist occupied China.
Link Posted: Today 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Yea
.. I'd be curious what a detailed IRS audit comes up on that.  R&D has tax credit value. And before you know it, half of operations are "R&D".
Link Posted: Today 3:38:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By scrum:
It doesn't matter how much you spend if you don't retain the right brains to spend it on.  

Intel decided that they didn't need to retain certain people decades ago who were, and remain, critical to development and innovation, and they are still reaping the residuals of those failures.

At the bleeding edge, it is incredible how small a sliver of the population are truly capable of real innovations and breakthroughs (the stuff that is not political but simple binary success or failure) and that applies to ANY discipline - BUT when you apply that truth to a highly competitive field like chip tech and architecture that is entirely dependent upon generational advancement or becoming slowly extinct, retaining the right brains is the single biggest factor in survival.  When you ignore that truth for political policies and personal vendettas, or just to be cheap, and decide for "reasons" not to reward and retain those critical brains, you are on a road to nowhere.  

I personally know one of those brains who left Intel because he was told flat out he was not politically relevant anymore.  A guy with a crapload of patents and white papers, respected throughout the industry, and they not only let him go they practically pushed him out the door for political sociological reasons.  And it was no surprise that competitors practically had limos lined up waiting for him at the Intel exit doors (figuratively, not literally.)  One gave him a swath of stock options and a lab and a blank check of "whatever/whenever/whereever you want to do, go ahead and do" and shortly thereafter there was a series of architecture leapfrog events.
View Quote

Was it AMD?

This thread had me thinking about some of those key dudes, and I have read something similar - not that they were pushing them out the door (kind of sounds like DEI retardation) but rather they just let those key guys leave by not compensating them like they should.
Link Posted: Today 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm oversimplifying, but corporate bloat and bad bets, same as most corporate corpses. Look at what happened to RCA.
Link Posted: Today 6:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Josh] [#5]
Originally Posted By Neuraleanus:
It's easy to explain why Intel lags behind.  Software support.  Say you want to develop AI, say a LLM, the most widely used development stack is:

Keras --> Python --> Tensor Flow --> Cuda --> Nvidia GPUs

There are other neural network development packages besides Tensor Flow, but the idea is the same.

Want to use AMD?  No software.  Cuda programs are in C.  Intel does not even offer a GPU.
View Quote

https://www.amd.com/en/products/software/rocm.html
and
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/discrete-gpus/arc/edge.html

beg to differ.  
Link Posted: Today 6:48:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gator] [#6]
Originally Posted By Josh:

and
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/details/discrete-gpus/arc/edge.html

beg to differ.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Josh:
Originally Posted By Neuraleanus:
It's easy to explain why Intel lags behind.  Software support.  Say you want to develop AI, say a LLM, the most widely used development stack is:

Keras --> Python --> Tensor Flow --> Cuda --> Nvidia GPUs

There are other neural network development packages besides Tensor Flow, but the idea is the same.

Want to use AMD?  No software.  Cuda programs are in C.  Intel does not even offer a GPU.

and

beg to differ.  

True, but CUDA is way ahead of them.  But I do want to see AMD excel and give them solid competition.

For Intel, dunno if they'll stick with the GPUs, or drop them as they have a bad habit of doing that when they figure out they're not going to be the GPU market leader.
Link Posted: Today 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Gator:

True, but CUDA is way ahead of them.  But I do want to see AMD excel and give them solid competition.

For Intel, dunno if they'll stick with the GPUs, or drop them as they have a bad habit of doing that when they figure out they're not going to be the GPU market leader.
View Quote
It may have changed but intels interest in GPUs was power efficient onboard processing for laptops and low to moderate demand in desktops.

The silicon to train a model and run a model are two different things. Not sure they are entering that space.

look for Google and Amazon for that.
Link Posted: Today 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
Yea
.. I'd be curious what a detailed IRS audit comes up on that.  R&D has tax credit value. And before you know it, half of operations are "R&D".
View Quote

Amazon spends $70 billion a year on R&D.

Of course, their definition includes every possible expense incurred by Amazon.

Link Posted: Today 9:29:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File
Originally Posted By scrum:

Mainland China is just communist occupied China.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 9:46:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't know the reasons Intel has fallen behind in fabrication technology.   I'm sure its complicated and comes down to our braindead decisions to not put market protection in place all those years ago when Asia undercut us on anything and everything in order to grow their economies and industry.

I do know that we should do everything we can to nurture them back to being #1.

Taiwan and TSMC obviously used a militant slave labor force, highly subsidized, highly unregulated, and unfair business by basically undercutting everyone else because it didn't matter to them when they were never going to be allowed to fail no matter how much loss they would never admit to.

Now over the decades they have built up a knowledge base and workflow that Intel will not easily catch.

Our best strategy should be to get American companies to buy from American foundries, even if it means a struggle of being a generation behind.

Because then we can build up the knowledge and workflow and hopefully breakthroughs in technology to become the global leader.

It's clear Taiwan treats TSMC as a strategic treasure that they will not lose by their own actions.  They were never going to allow an American foundry to run smoothly.

Our country needs a serious wake up call and to start playing by the same rules that everyone else plays by.  We need to stop thinking that just throwing money at foreigners will get them to play by the rules we want.   Knowledge is power and any shortfalls we have in it,  we need to work harder and invest in.  Even if there is no immediate satisfaction or profit.  We need to be willing to subsidize industrys that other nations subsidize so that we can fulfill our countrys needs,  even if financially its a loss.  Thats what taxes should be for,  providing the things we need.  We need semiconductors,  and the best ones.  And for security reasons,  we need to make them domestically of our own design.  Period no compromise.

Link Posted: Today 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: Today 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Intel went woke, that's the reason that I took a buyout package.
If you were accused of harassment, you were guilty, took a package rather than risk getting fired because of some Karen.
Link Posted: Today 9:57:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zhukov] [#13]
Link Posted: Today 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#14]
The one upside to Intel is that their fabs aren’t within range of Chinese MLRS
Link Posted: 10/18/2024 12:22:28 AM EDT
[#15]
I saw first hand one of Intel's issues. When they did a layoff, diversity mattered more than knowledge and ability, so they lost a lot of their best workers.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top