User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:29:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheRealBluedog:
All of the morons, edge lords, and just downright stupid motherfuckers who are saying that you are against capitalism if you support disallowing unfair competition don’t understand capitalism, and certainly don’t understand the history of our country. Ever heard of antitrust laws? Ever heard of unfair competition? Ever heard of crony capitalism?

Investing in residential real estate is the ultimate price fixing scheme. You invest in something, the price of which is entirely dependent upon supply, and you can actually drive up the value of your investment just by buying it In sufficiently large numbers. This should not be allowed.  If a stupid person wants to challenge me on this, you’ll have to do something to get my attention because I don’t have a lot of time to deal with morons today.
View Quote

I agree with this take.

Capitalism and "capitalism" are both dogshit religions, on par with Islam.  I'm an apostate from Capitalism.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
If it's a lucrative move then what's stopping you from buying into one of those funds?  Free market capital system is the best system.  
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Blackrock is the Devil
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:38:36 PM EDT
[#4]
That total ownership by investors number keeps getting thrown around like its important but I think it is spurious data.  Misleading.  Not every home is available at this specific instant so who cares how many of them in total investors own?  It is the purchasing of AVAILABLE homes that distorts the market.  Somewhat surprised no one has tried to pull the numbers for this... hopefully some of you guys can do better than I did.

It looks like the national average pre-pandemic peaked around 16-17%.  Then in 2022 hit above 20%.  Dipped as rates climbed but shows signs of recovering and climbing once again.

Attachment Attached File

There's a chart on the page that lists out some metros and you see some outliers like Miami where 31% are investors.

https://www.redfin.com/news/investor-home-purchases-q4-2023/

I would say investors making 20-30% of all home purchases in an area would massively distort the market.

Here's another black eye, with interest rates high, investors are targeting lower-priced homes and bought 26% of the available market at the end of last year.  I'd also say taking a quarter of "starter homes" off the market is going to massively distort it.

Everything turning into speculative investment bullshit is going to absolutely destroy the country.  I've long posted that all these forces nibbling away at the so-called "American Dream" are going to destroy it (if they haven't already) and people are going to start feeling hopeless.  That's the fertile soil for the seeds of communism to germinate in.  When people feel like they have an actual chance, the promises of communism are empty.  They can see people around them working hard and making their goals reality.  When they don't, that starter home jumped another 20% in price, that new/used truck put another $15k on the sticker, the grocery bill doubled again, while their annual salary got a 2% "thanks for trying fuck you" raise with the CEO crowing about record profits and a big cash bonus - that's a dark path to head down.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Findsman:
That total ownership by investors number keeps getting thrown around like its important but I think it is spurious data.  Misleading.  Not every home is available at this specific instant so who cares how many of them in total investors own?  It is the purchasing of AVAILABLE homes that distorts the market.  Somewhat surprised no one has tried to pull the numbers for this... hopefully some of you guys can do better than I did.

It looks like the national average pre-pandemic peaked around 16-17%.  Then in 2022 hit above 20%.  Dipped as rates climbed but shows signs of recovering and climbing once again.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/Investor-Market-Share-by-Metro-copy-2-10-3307107.JPG

There's a chart on the page that lists out some metros and you see some outliers like Miami where 31% are investors.

I would say investors making 20-30% of all home purchases in an area would massively distort the market.

Here's another black eye, with interest rates high, investors are targeting lower-priced homes and bought 26% of the available market at the end of last year.  I'd also say taking a quarter of "starter homes" off the market is going to massively distort it.

Everything turning into speculative investment bullshit is going to absolutely destroy the country.  I've long posted that all these forces nibbling away at the so-called "American Dream" are going to destroy it (if they haven't already) and people are going to start feeling hopeless.  That's the fertile soil for the seeds of communism to germinate in.  When people feel like they have an actual chance, the promises of communism are empty.  They can see people around them working hard and making their goals reality.  When they don't, that starter home jumped another 20% in price, that new/used truck put another $15k on the sticker, the grocery bill doubled again, while their annual salary got a 2% "thanks for trying fuck you" raise with the CEO crowing about record profits and a big cash bonus - that's a dark path to head down.
View Quote

If you want some insight into small time real estate investing listen to a couple episodes of the "bigger pockets" podcast and the BRRRR investing strategy. MANY people who can stomach the high risk involved have turned little money into owning hundreds of rental homes, or thousands of apartments. The ultimate goal being to turn these holdings into passive income by assembling a team of people to manage the units and acquire additional units until you are sitting on a Hawaiian beach.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Read many hours of bigger pockets

There is some good info there , bit it isn't the last word in RE investing
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:08:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/35747/Investor-Market-Share-by-Metro-copy-2-10-3307107.JPG

View Quote

It doesn't take much of a shift to substantially move the market as only a small percentage of homes sell annually.  If total investor ownership increases 1% in any given year, that could be a substantial percentage of all home sales that year.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:24:41 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

This. The total ownership number is a distraction.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:53:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#9]
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:
If it's a lucrative move then what's stopping you from buying into one of those funds?  Free market capital system is the best system.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jack-of-Hearts:

You think America runs on a free market economy? Wanna bet?

Attachment Attached File

I tried to make this point to _A previous member (hint, hint) over a decade back, & the only insight he could muster was that the nation will regret buying into communism. Such insight.

Let's just keep trashing our currency, compounding our debt, & facilitate corporate interests to corner markets in areas that allow Joe citizen to move up, all the whole wagging a finger at him for being disillusioned about his prospects under this market system we falsely call "free". What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:55:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CTYC313:

This. The total ownership number is a distraction.
View Quote

1.8M houses for sale in the US today  total stock 82M.
Page / 12
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top