Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2020 2:24:58 PM EDT
yes the picture is horrible, I cropped in as much as I could and from what my wife said, ir was the largest spider she has ever seen.   It is dead now and when I got home I only saw it ded. It was pretty big. I will say it was the largest spider I have seen in the US. it was about the circumference as my fist.
She just wants to know what kind it is and it's the 1st time she has seen one like this.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like an Orb Weaver.  Just a variant of coloration.

The leg arrangement is pretty definitive.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:30:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Yea, a dead one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:30:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Golden Orb Weaver.

Pet stores sometimes offer around $1500 for live specimens.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
^^^ yep

They're all over the place down here.
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Golden Orb Weaver.

View Quote

So how much for a dead one?

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Golden Orb Weaver.

View Quote

Holy shit, never mind about my comment above yours. That thing needs to be trapped and sold lol.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool spiders
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Golden Orb Weaver.

View Quote
I need the name of this pet store, I'm gonna be rich! Lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:37:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Some years in Texas with lots of rain, they will make these huge webs across trails.  Like every ten feet you would walk into their huge webs.  They would land on my shoulder and then jump off.  Some of them can be an inch across and more.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:38:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Ive seen these in fields before
Attachment Attached File

Made my skin crawl
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#12]
They are around here but I think some years there are more of them then others
Haven’t seen any on my back deck this year
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Pretty common garden spider.  They get big but are pretty harmless.  

The quote above about pet shops was a joke.  Some of you guys.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks I'll let her know to not kill any of the other others if they pop up. I have a deep fear of snakes and spiders, I was bit by both. but I am better around spiders since I see them and they just sit on the wall.  Other than a camel spider this was the largest one I have ever seen. There were no cool colors though it was all dark blacks and grays.  I know our family in Northport has killed black widows that were on their bricks by their garage.  I love living by the Gulf but I hate all the venomous stuff.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#15]
We’ve got them all over. Webs will damn near stop a pickup.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 2:55:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Ask him for his papers?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 3:09:51 PM EDT
[#18]

Can spiders not reach that price point? It wouldn’t surprise me with how crazy expensive some animals sell for.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can spiders not reach that price point? It wouldn't surprise me with how crazy expensive some animals sell for.
View Quote
Was joke.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:44:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Throw a grasshopper or cricket in the web and see just how fast they can wrap one up. It'll hit the web and the spider will just sit there. After the bug kicks his feet the first time, it'll be over in about three seconds.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Golden Orb Weaver.

He's not dead... he's just pining for the fjords.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Golden Orb Weaver.

View Quote

WHERE  I can make some serious money around here....I will see as many as 20 or 30 in the morning

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:00:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Those are fun when you drive your ATV through the web and the web wraps around your head. With the spider inside.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:16:15 PM EDT
[#24]
This guy looks friendly

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Those are fun when you drive your ATV through the web and the web wraps around your head. With the spider inside.
View Quote

Um yeah. Fuck that. Sometimes you get a pretty good sized spider brushing off vegetation while riding on trails. I’m not a fan.

But I’d rather it be non-deadly than the shit down south.
Mom lives in Arkansas and spiders don’t bother her. Hell. Nothing bothers her. She’s 83 and lives alone now that dads gone.
Sleeps tight with a Browning Superposed next to the bed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 8:40:49 PM EDT
[#26]
I kill most anything that crawls but orb spiders are cool as hell. Love watching them build their web every night and pack them up in the morning. We have a lot of different color variations around my place.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:05:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Y'all need some Fishing spiders to take care of them lil Orb Weavers.

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Golden Orb Weaver.

$1500, if you have a receipt.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Had one those bite me a couple of years ago; the little bastard - he jumped off the side of the house and bit me on the hand on the way down.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:32:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Prone him out and frisk him.You'll need lots of cuffs, though.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:36:55 PM EDT
[#31]
orb weaver of some type.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/orb-weaver-spiders-AdobeStock_90993797.jpg
View Quote

Went wild ricing with my girl. She is hot, but liberal and outdoorsy. Worst experience of my life. It combined camping which is totally fucking stupid, basically it is homelessness without the pocket change, with dragging a canoe through a bog.

Then for every pound of wild rice you get, you also knock a pound of spiders into the canoe with you. Many of them are the spiders in the OP.

The. Entire. Fucking. Canoe. Was. Spiders. Millions of them. Wolf spiders, golden orb, long legged skinny fuckers, small fuckers. Millions and millions of fucking SPIDERS.

She said to me today, "Let's go wild ricing next month!"
She and her three stupid hot cousins could be throwing a blow job contest at the same time that I got to judge and the answer is still no. Fuck that.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
yes the picture is horrible, I cropped in as much as I could and from what my wife said, ir was the largest spider she has ever seen.   It is dead now and when I got home I only saw it ded. It was pretty big. I will say it was the largest spider I have seen in the US. it was about the circumference as my fist.
She just wants to know what kind it is and it's the 1st time she has seen one like this.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/283746/DSC_1232_jpg-1548931.JPG
View Quote

Circumference or diameter?
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
She and her three stupid hot cousins could be throwing a blow job contest at the same time that I got to judge and the answer is still no. Fuck that.
View Quote

Let me know if you want me to stand in for you.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#35]
I think it is a snapping turtle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Tell him it's his choice, ID or a ride downtown.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#37]
OP, I called around, and most everyone said his name was "Sam".

Link Posted: 8/16/2020 11:47:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://www.farmersalmanac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/orb-weaver-spiders-AdobeStock_90993797.jpg
View Quote

When I was 14 or so I was tromping through the woods behind my grandma's place in east Texas and nearly walked right into one of those webs with the spider right in the center. Stopped with my face about a foot from the thing. The web must have been about 2-3 feet across.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:34:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Went wild ricing with my girl. She is hot, but liberal and outdoorsy. Worst experience of my life. It combined camping which is totally fucking stupid, basically it is homelessness without the pocket change, with dragging a canoe through a bog.

Then for every pound of wild rice you get, you also knock a pound of spiders into the canoe with you. Many of them are the spiders in the OP.

The. Entire. Fucking. Canoe. Was. Spiders. Millions of them. Wolf spiders, golden orb, long legged skinny fuckers, small fuckers. Millions and millions of fucking SPIDERS.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Nope.

Fuck spiders.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:48:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Lol, had my engineer from Philly send me a text about these today. He and his GF moved to SWLA last year to work at the refinery and wanted to know where they could hike locally. I sent him to
one of the state parks near the house, but warned him to carry a stick to wave in front of him when the trail narrowed because of these. Sure as shit, he sends me a pic of one today less than 15 mins into their hike.

They're pretty much harmless if you don't hurt yourself getting away from them. The webs are strong as hell and you normally can't see them until they're in your face. I think they're called golden orb weavers, but all the folks around here call them banana spiders. Their bite is just a slight pinch and leaves a welt like a mosquito, but harmless otherwise. Millions of the bastards in the river bottoms and swamps here in SWLA.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#41]
They have a disconcerting habit of shaking their web. (perpendicular to the plane of the web)

Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid and found my first one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top