Quoted:

yea but I'd not want to fire a 38 super in a light weight 2" snubbie
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Isn't there some weird law in a lot of South American countries where civilians can't own any military calibers... hence why there's a shitload of .380 stuff made down there? That would be my guess... but I have never seen a .380 revolver before today.

.380 vs 38 Super, big difference

yea but I'd not want to fire a 38 super in a light weight 2" snubbie

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:00:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
.380 is more of a man stopper than you think.
View Quote

It kills a lot more people than I would have ever guessed before I became involved in a business where you learn that kind of thing.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Gotta go here... I bet ya OP carry a Smith 500 as a CHL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm missing the dumb part. It's a small, concealable handgun with low recoil.

Gotta go here... I bet ya OP carry a Smith 500 as a CHL

Lol. I have a couple J frames chambered in .38 Special. I guess I don’t see the benefit of .380 over 9mm, but different strokes for different folks
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:15:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Definitely not the dumbest

That one is  a meh, I don't see a problem with it. I'd own a 9mm snubby so I don't have to buy ammo just for a .38 spc, why not .380.

This is dumbest:  https://stdgun.com/s333-thunderstruck/
View Quote

How is that not a machinegun?

More than one round per trigger pull.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That one is  a meh, I don't see a problem with it. I'd own a 9mm snubby so I don't have to buy ammo just for a .38 spc, why not .380.

I believe there’s some exemption based on caliber size if I recall correctly, but who the hell can keep it straight at this point?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not an actual Machine Gun?

Or not an ATF machine gun/shoelace/particular type of stock/open bolt semiauto, etc...

ETA: Rhetorical and not directed at you
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It beats a sternly delivered statement in a tense situation.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It beats a sternly delivered statement in a tense situation.
View Quote

That I can’t argue with
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:37:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it is because there are 2 separate chambers/barrels.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arsenal AF2011A1 is where it’s at for double barrels

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

s n i p

View Quote

Until the ATF faggots classify it as a machine gun
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I was never much impressed with any Taurus I have laid hands on.

I believe this is a 5 shot alloy gun . I would rather have a 5 shot alloy 38spl for the wider choice of different power levels. Light target loads (with close to 380 power), 38 standard loads and 38 +P if wanted.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:56:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#16]

There can only be One dumbest wheelgun...and it has two barrels and a double trigger.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 7:59:30 PM EDT
[#17]
yes
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Winner winner, chicken dinner.

I saw that the other day and thought "WHY Lord why?"
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Isn't there some weird law in a lot of South American countries where civilians can't own any military calibers... hence why there's a shitload of .380 stuff made down there? That would be my guess... but I have never seen a .380 revolver before today.
View Quote

.380ACP is a military round, its been used by military forces almost since it came out. Of course it was used in Europe mostly and not really since the end of WWII. But some countries would say, once used in the military, always a military.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Low power round out of that short ass barrel. Probably ok if your 3 feet away or shooting at a barn.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:15:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I would not trust my life with a Taurus.  Look at a parts diagram and compare the lockwork of a Taurus against that of a S&W.     S&W is superior.  Also, S&W has superior metallurgy.  Taurus transfer bars break regularly and while Taurus is aware of it, has not changed their metallurgy or heat treatment.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:30:08 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Until the ATF faggots classify it as a machine gun
View Quote

Probably the one thing that could happen that would make me want one
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Lot of hate for Taurus around here. I've had great luck with mine. I guess I've had my snub nosed Taurus 15  plus years. Always shoots great. Lots of rounds thru it. Nothing like shooting hot 357 through it. Shoots a flame out the barrel. Had my 4 inch 357 Taurus probably over 30 years. Does the same thing my Smith's, and Rugers do. I would prefer that revolver in .38 special.  I do love my Lcp, but its crazy small.
View Quote

My experience with Taurus was similar. Im 40+, I grew up with 22LR and shotguns. But I wanted a handgun. I lusted after the Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R when I was a teen.  When I was 20, paying everything on my own, I looked through the catalog of guns that used to be in the back of GUNZ magazine.  

I landed on a Davis 380 Auto, decent power and it was cheap.  Turns out my state has a prohibition on 'saturday night specials' but I spotted a used Taurus Model 66 - blued, 6 inch barrel 357 magnum $175.  I talked him down an entire $10 because the blueing was a tad cloudy.

The first 10 years that was my only handgun.  I put 10,000 rounds through that gun (mostly 38 special).  Still runs great but I shoot it a lot less.  Added a 22LR revolver also from Taurus as an understudy.  Works great too.

First Semi-auto I bought after than Taurus?  Ruger P95 - which gave me nothing but problems.  I had to return it to the factory.  I Sent back everything in the original box, they only sent the gun and 1 mag back.  Fuck you Ruger.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is it the revolver that's dumb or the people who fell for the .380 craze?
View Quote

Craze?

380 has been a great cartridge for 100 years.  It's only been the last 10 years that we've had readily available 9mms of roughly equivalent size
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Why does any type of Taurus firearm exist?  Pure junk for poor people.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 8:59:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Craze?

380 has been a great cartridge for 100 years.  It's only been the last 10 years that we've had readily available 9mms of roughly equivalent size
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Craze?

And apparently it's really popular because IIRC it was the first cartridge to experience a widespread shortage this time around.

Quoted:

My experience with Taurus was similar. Im 40+, I grew up with 22LR and shotguns. But I wanted a handgun. I lusted after the Ruger Single Six in 32 H&R when I was a teen.  When I was 20, paying everything on my own, I looked through the catalog of guns that used to be in the back of GUNZ magazine.  

I landed on a Davis 380 Auto, decent power and it was cheap.  Turns out my state has a prohibition on 'saturday night specials' but I spotted a used Taurus Model 66 - blued, 6 inch barrel 357 magnum $175.  I talked him down an entire $10 because the blueing was a tad cloudy.

The first 10 years that was my only handgun.  I put 10,000 rounds through that gun (mostly 38 special).  Still runs great but I shoot it a lot less.  Added a 22LR revolver also from Taurus as an understudy.  Works great too.

First Semi-auto I bought after than Taurus?  Ruger P95 - which gave me nothing but problems.  I had to return it to the factory.  I Sent back everything in the original box, they only sent the gun and 1 mag back.  Fuck you Ruger.

I learned early on that you don't send in anything that doesn't specifically need to be repaired. Worst case you keep your magazines, best case they send you new ones.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:00:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Hey, whatever works for you.

In 25 years of being in the training end of the gun industry, Taurus firearms have failed more than any other manufacturer that's come across my line (including Hi-Point, and that's no bullshit, either). However, when a student mentions that they're bringing a Taurus to one of my courses I tell them to bring a spare gun.

Taurus products are not high round count guns.

ETA: I rest my case. Crossposted from another thread... Taurus Handgun Explodes in Man's Face at Firing Range
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lot of hate for Taurus around here. I've had great luck with mine. Does the same thing my Smith's, and Rugers do. I would prefer that revolver in .38 special.  I do love my Lcp, but its crazy small.

In 25 years of being in the training end of the gun industry, Taurus firearms have failed more than any other manufacturer that's come across my line (including Hi-Point, and that's no bullshit, either). However, when a student mentions that they're bringing a Taurus to one of my courses I tell them to bring a spare gun.

ETA: I rest my case. Crossposted from another thread... Taurus Handgun Explodes in Man's Face at Firing Range

here's a glock that did the same.  Glocks are the worst gun.  I rest my case.

Your theory that Taurus fails more in your course MAY be on to something - but do you actually keep records of what handguns people bring, their ammo, and their gun failure rate?  If so that would be awesome.  And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they have one of the higher failure rates - but I still bet it's low.  I also bet there's a lot of budget guns that never make it to your course in enough numbers to be noticed.  Remember Hi Point isn't the only budget gun.  Taurus just happens to ride the balance between both budget enough and quality enough to get a lot of sales.

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#28]
It would make sense just to make it .38 Special, or 9mm... but some places a person can't own any caliber the military uses so if the .380 ACP is able to be used when .38 Special, 9mm, etc, etc,... then .380 ACP it is.

Live and let live.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lot of hate for Taurus around here. I've had great luck with mine. I guess I've had my snub nosed Taurus 15  plus years. Always shoots great. Lots of rounds thru it. Nothing like shooting hot 357 through it. Shoots a flame out the barrel. Had my 4 inch 357 Taurus probably over 30 years. Does the same thing my Smith's, and Rugers do. I would prefer that revolver in .38 special.  I do love my Lcp, but its crazy small.
View Quote

Let them hate. It keeps the price down. I love my 357 CIA. I picked another one up last month just like it for $250. Hell of a deal during covid
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#31]
I tried the trigger on 2 or 3 of those same 380 revolvers at an LGS when they first came out. All had atrocious triggers, like a a Ruger LCP v1, but even longer and way heavier and grittier.  Bleh!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 9:49:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Exactly. And since the 9mm aficionados have mathematically proven that due to modern science that all calibers are equal in power there really isn't any need for something bigger. 380 is at that perfect spot, big enough that the bullets are easy to handle without fumbling and dropping (a constant problem with 22), easy to spot if you do happen to drop one, and yet light enough not to weight you down.

A 380 revolver like this Taurus is a great choice for carry in bear country, or any situation where maximum reliability is more important than capacity. It is also a great choice for the elderly person who might have a problem manipulating the slide of a modern auto, while still desiring a weapon with incredible stopping power. It really is perfect.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:19:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's been a marginal cartridge for 100 years.  It's only in the last year that anybody has come up with a hollow point design that reliably expands at .380 velocities.  But it's compact, so people put up with the lower stopping power and carried them anyways (including me, my BUG is a .380).  But it's at the bottom of every stopping power chart for a reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Is it the revolver that's dumb or the people who fell for the .380 craze?

Craze?

It's been a marginal cartridge for 100 years.  It's only in the last year that anybody has come up with a hollow point design that reliably expands at .380 velocities.  But it's compact, so people put up with the lower stopping power and carried them anyways (including me, my BUG is a .380).  But it's at the bottom of every stopping power chart for a reason.

Kind of an interesting question is that if you were in Europe or another country that only used FMJ, if there would be any meaningful difference in stopping power between 9x19 FMJ and 9x17 FMJ.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:43:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Shot placement is key. .380 aka 9mm Kurtz. Walther PPK of James Bond fame fired them.
View Quote

I think 007 carried a PPK .32 ACP/7.65 mm Browning

James Bond gets his Walther PPK

Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone willing to get shot with a .380, PM me for deets.
View Quote

That isn't a good argument, I don't want to be shot with a 22 short either. But would not choose to CCW one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

.32 ACP?

.25 ACP?

Those .22 mag "self defense" revolvers ?

Is "stopping power" quantified by its Taylor Knockout value?
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
.380 is more of a man stopper than you think.
View Quote

With modern ammo, yes.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:02:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I would not trust my life with a Taurus S&W.  Look at a parts diagram and compare the lockwork of a Taurus S&W against that of a S&W Ruger. S&W Ruger is superior.  Also, S&W Ruger has superior metallurgy.  Taurus S&W transfer bars break regularly and while Taurus S&W is aware of it, has not changed their metallurgy or heat treatment.
View Quote

Fixt! Kinda, I don't know how to cross out words. Also I don't own any Smith revolvers.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:25:09 AM EDT
[#39]
S&W made a gun within the last 20 years that was based on the N frame 627 in .357. It was a light weight frame with a rail for a flashlight. It was called the M&P R8 and is an affront to all that is classic about older Smiths.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:30:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Ammo commonality at its finest.
View Quote

380 is garbage. Expensive, less efficient and limited

I know I always want to spend more money on less power with a shitty bullet selection
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:33:08 AM EDT
[#41]
That's not a Chiappa Rhino
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 1:45:47 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:46:05 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/a771e580adfb81bad39b2bbc3a4e15f5-1.jpg

Your theory that Taurus fails more in your course MAY be on to something - but do you actually keep records of what handguns people bring, their ammo, and their gun failure rate?  If so that would be awesome.  And it wouldn't surprise me to learn that they have one of the higher failure rates - but I still bet it's low.  I also bet there's a lot of budget guns that never make it to your course in enough numbers to be noticed.  Remember Hi Point isn't the only budget gun.  Taurus just happens to ride the balance between both budget enough and quality enough to get a lot of sales.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lot of hate for Taurus around here. I've had great luck with mine. Does the same thing my Smith's, and Rugers do. I would prefer that revolver in .38 special.  I do love my Lcp, but its crazy small.

https://cdn0.wideopenspaces.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/a771e580adfb81bad39b2bbc3a4e15f5-1.jpg

Yes, I do I keep records regarding my students (just ask anyone here in this forum that I've trained). I also have them sign their qual targets and I keep their targets in individual file folders along with anything notable that might have come up during their training. I also fail students if they are unsafe but I will never fail a student if their gun fails. They either have to produce another gun and all related kit or come back and get in a future class.  

I haven't seen Taurus failures in the thousands or anything like that but if a gun fails, more often than not it's a Taurus; and that includes sights falling off, magazine failures, ammunition feeding issues, and fit and finish issues that prohibit proper functioning. Anything that can happen to ANY gun has and can happen to other manufacturers but more often than not it's a Taurus. I'm not attacking Taurus because I don't like the company, I'm just mentioning what I've experienced.

The old Model 85 revolvers were decent guns and IMO the only really good gun Taurus ever made was the PT92AF series. I have one and somewhere between 8,000 and 10,000 rounds while doing routine maintenance I noticed a crack under the barrel where it meets the chamber. I sent it back and Taurus made good on it but that crack could have led to a catastrophic failure.

As I said in a previous post, they are not high round count guns (at least in my opinion they're not).

The old barrel of my PT92AF.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Yes. I prefer a 9mm version.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:41:03 AM EDT
[#45]
So you guys really don't like that Thunderstruck thing?  
Huh.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:45:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Huh.
View Quote

If it looked more normal and didn't cost $400 I might get one just for fun.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:47:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I'm missing the dumb part. It's a small, concealable handgun with low recoil.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#48]
Anyone else wish they made something like the Medusa again?
Designed as a SHTF weapon it's use of pretty much any 9mm/.38 caliber ammo would be a Godsend today, something like 35 different calibers.
Phillips & Rodgers M47 Medusa: Multicaliber Revolver for a Nonexistent Apocalypse
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
S&W made a gun within the last 20 years that was based on the N frame 627 in .357. It was a light weight frame with a rail for a flashlight. It was called the M&P R8 and is an affront to all that is classic about older Smiths.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/3003/170292_01_lg_1_jpg-1707901.JPG
View Quote

Is there any cylinder gap at all? I wouldn't want to put my hand that far forward to turn on a light.
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Huh.
View Quote

Did you watch the Inrange match I posted?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top