Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
lol

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know several people who are "nurses", that flat do not have the mental capacity to flip whoopers at McDonalds.
View Quote

But they paid tens of thousands of dollars to the right people so it's ok.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Honestly I'm surprised they could pass the exam.  Almost impressive.

View Quote

NCLEX isn’t that hard
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

NCLEX isn’t that hard
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Honestly I'm surprised they could pass the exam.  Almost impressive.

NCLEX isn’t that hard

It's only a little about actual knowledge.  What it really does is to show that the test taker has the absolute minimal amount of good judgement and critical thinking skills to not get patients hurt or worse out of the gate.  I know some duds manage to slip through but that's true for pretty much anything else as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:52:50 PM EDT
[#5]
As long as the ending is happy I don't care
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 9:55:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That used to be an option and in many geographic areas, the only way. They turned out excellent bedside nurses. Hospitals used to have dorms for them built in. They lived and worked and learned at the hospital then got their diploma and RN in the end, after taking boards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they passed the boards and clinicals...who TF cares.

Nursing is so easy to be a RN you should be able to get that shit at the community college in two years. NP, maybe another year and 1 in the field.

Like seriously....

I’ve always thought nursing education, to the RN level, should be similar to an apprenticeship.

That used to be an option and in many geographic areas, the only way. They turned out excellent bedside nurses. Hospitals used to have dorms for them built in. They lived and worked and learned at the hospital then got their diploma and RN in the end, after taking boards.

3 year Diploma RNs were the best RNs. They went to strictly classes that related to nursing and didn't have all the elective crap that BSNs have to go through. They also had a crap ton of clinic experience by the time they graduated because they worked shifts as nurses aids while going to school. When they graduated they could step on the floor and perform with very little orientation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Diploma grad from a hospital based program. I came into the program as a Lpn so it shaved a few months off the program. We were required to have our prerequisite classes finished before the start of the program. I did most of mine while I was a laborer. We would have 1-2 days of theory then we would spend the rest of our time on the floors not only learning but providing free labor. I passed both of my nclex exams on the first go around but it not as simple as it seems. The tests are random questions and you can have a few of each up to many, even if you are passing with the minimum amount the program can have you do all of them. I believe 75 was minimum and 350 was max. It was nerve racking to say the least. Can anyone pass, sure if they are good test takers. I think the only reason I passed was because of the clinical skills I learned and not the theory.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:23:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Guess I'll have to dig out the ol diploma.  Again.  Not the first time this has happened.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 10:42:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As many passed the exam and started their careers its a testament that accredited education requirements prior to testing out is bullshit.  

Example:  Want to be a carpenter?  Gotta go for two years first.. wait you just want to be a apprentice like they use to do it?  Nope gotta pay to play.

Fuck all that.

View Quote

Or it’s a testament to the exam not being an accurate assessment of the skills and education required for an RN license.
Link Posted: 2/1/2023 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I know several people who are "nurses", that flat do not have the mental capacity to flip whoopers at McDonalds.
View Quote

My wife has worked with several of them
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sarcasm? Nursing school is one of the longest AIT’s in the military with one of the highest failout rates. The shit is NOT easy I know this from experience.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nursing is so easy to be a RN you should be able to get that shit at the community college in two years. NP, maybe another year and 1 in the field.

Like seriously....

Sarcasm? Nursing school is one of the longest AIT’s in the military with one of the highest failout rates. The shit is NOT easy I know this from experience.

LOL....I don't know what the hell ya'll doing to them nurses in the military but I went to college at the largest nursing school in the region and their shit wasn't hard. Maybe the hardest part was cleaning some old mans ass during clinicals.

They don't even take real organic chem, the Org Chem I took in HS was more indept than the Gen chem the BSN's take.

I was pre med BTW
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 12:32:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Looks like only 1/3 passed the exam after paying for a coach to teach them how to take the test.

10k for LPN

17k for RN

They went to states like NY that let you take the proctored test until you pass.

Sienna College had someone on the inside helping the scammers by selling the credentials of the school.

When you think of the ROI, it’s tempting to take this route. New RNs her are starting at 80k and experienced ones are easily six figures now.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:15:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Personally, the big issue is the demonstrated lack of moral turpitude. I would not want someone who has callus disregard for the profession and the law working where strict standards of care and professional ethics are necessary
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:19:45 AM EDT
[#16]
What's the breakdown in RN vs LPN/VN?

I know for RNs a diploma is only one step, there's still a state board exam to earn a license.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I know for RNs a diploma is only one step, there's still a state board exam to earn a license.
View Quote

VN? Vetenarian Nurse?
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#18]
If they passed the test either they know their shit or the test sucks
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It’s at a state appointed testing facility.  You have to provide ID, etc.  The test takes place on a computer, questions are randomly generated.  Phones are locked up.  There’s someone controlling entry to the testing room and cameras monitoring during.  Other people are simultaneously taking other state certification tests at the same time.

They offer NCLEX prep courses that are more about how to answer the question.  Most questions have multiple correctish answers, but the test taker has to prioritize which answer is the most correct.

There must be a way to cheat, but I’m not sure how.  The test is very hard, but the standard to pass must not be that bad.  MOST seem to pass it.  

The test itself is unusual in that it throttles the questions based on how the person is performing.  If the test seems super tough, with mostly multiple multiple (choose all that apply) it generally means your above the passing standard.
View Quote

The test usually measures minimal competence to make sure you're not a danger to the public.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:07:39 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/987687

Somebody’s going to jail…hopefully
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

VN? Vetenarian Nurse?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VN? Vetenarian Nurse?

Vocational Nurse
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

VN? Vetenarian Nurse?
View Quote

LPN/LVN

Licensed Practical Nurse/Licensed Vocational Nurse
Same thing, I think Texas and California use LVN, other states use LPN.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I didn’t learn much at all from my BSN degree

It was writing a bunch of papers in apa format on social justice shit like

“End of life pain management for opioid naïve Hawaiian native homosexuals”
View Quote

"Disparities in Health Care"
Just give them sidewalks in their food desert and magically everyone will exercise and eat right!
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:11:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Weird double tap
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:11:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Weird triple tap...
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
So?

If they passed the NCLEX, got hired, and then passed shadowing/training and final check offs for the hospital, then good on them.

No ER I worked at allowed a baby nurse to work on their own without thorough supervision and on the job skills vetting.

All this means is that nursing education is largely bullshit, and the vast majority of the important knowledge is from on the job experience.
View Quote

It's the ones that get hired at nursing homes that bother me.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:18:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Having taken the NCLEX and passed it in 66 questions, it wasn't exactly hard.  There are many different tools you can buy that look identical to the NCLEX to study with, one such as UWORLD.  Using UWORLD, you could easily study for a month and pass the exam.

School in and of itself did little to prepare me for clinical work. It laid some of the very core, baseline skills needed, but most of the stuff that even remotely prepared me was clinicals.  Most of my actual learning how to be a Nurse was on the job.

That said, anyone who skips all the bullshit I had to go through to get my degree can eat a bag of dicks.
View Quote

When did they neuter the test down to a 60 question minimum?
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

When did they neuter the test down to a 60 question minimum?
View Quote

During Covid they made it easier

New grads during that time were horrible, most had no actual clinical experience

They’re all travelers now lol
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hell, my doctor isn't really a doctor (PA).
View Quote

I prefer PAs and NPs to MDs.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:06:49 PM EDT
[#30]
BSN is nurses who are trying to make nursing an academic field… like the biology department or physics department or whatever. They push all this “research” and “evidence-based practice” in an effort to legitimize their stupid university programs. It’s them trying to distance themselves from nursing being considered a vocation and being done through hospital programs, which were often better than colleges. The only good thing about it is it does seem to help SOME nurses with critical thinking. Notice the emphasis on “some” in the previous sentence.

I found the NCLEX hard as fuck. I knew NONE of the answers right away. When it shut off at 75 questions (in 66 minutes), I felt like a total failure. I was like “damn, it only took them the minimum to know I’m a dumbass.” My buddy the week before had 265, which was the max at the time. But I passed.

I haven’t done a single bit of research or looked at anything “evidence-based” since I got out of school. I’m just trying to keep people alive & improve their condition.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It still is 2 years unless you get a BSN degree.  Just looked RN in 12 months
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like seriously....
It still is 2 years unless you get a BSN degree.  Just looked RN in 12 months
I'm in an ASN program right now. There are a years worth of prerequisites and the actual program is 2 years so it's more like 3 if that makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 10:17:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
BSN is nurses who are trying to make nursing an academic field… like the biology department or physics department or whatever. They push all this “research” and “evidence-based practice” in an effort to legitimize their stupid university programs. It’s them trying to distance themselves from nursing being considered a vocation and being done through hospital programs, which were often better than colleges. The only good thing about it is it does seem to help SOME nurses with critical thinking. Notice the emphasis on “some” in the previous sentence.

I found the NCLEX hard as fuck. I knew NONE of the answers right away. When it shut off at 75 questions (in 66 minutes), I felt like a total failure. I was like “damn, it only took them the minimum to know I’m a dumbass.” My buddy the week before had 265, which was the max at the time. But I passed.

I haven’t done a single bit of research or looked at anything “evidence-based” since I got out of school. I’m just trying to keep people alive & improve their condition.
View Quote

Quoted:
I'm in an ASN program right now. There are a years worth of prerequisites and the actual program is 2 years so it's more like 3 if that makes sense.
View Quote

You would think that it would be more advantageous for a nursing degree to be more of a technical certification, similar to an A&P, during which you are tested on stuff that you would actually do as a nurse. For example, my wife went through a dental assistant training program. All of the classroom stuff was on policies and procedures, equipment, so on and so forth. She then proceeded to the hands-on training which was shadowing a dental assistant. No "extra" bullshit like "unconscious bias against POC patients and how you can change", just "here's the practical knowledge that you need to know to be a dental assistant."
Link Posted: 2/4/2023 8:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

You would think that it would be more advantageous for a nursing degree to be more of a technical certification, similar to an A&P, during which you are tested on stuff that you would actually do as a nurse. For example, my wife went through a dental assistant training program. All of the classroom stuff was on policies and procedures, equipment, so on and so forth. She then proceeded to the hands-on training which was shadowing a dental assistant. No "extra" bullshit like "unconscious bias against POC patients and how you can change", just "here's the practical knowledge that you need to know to be a dental assistant."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nursing is my 3rd career; been a machinist and a sheet metal (HVAC) journeyman.
Nursing should absolutely be done via an apprenticeship program.

One of the issues with nursing is that there's so much variety within the field. An RN in a doc's office has a totally different job than an RN in a school who has a totally different job than an RN in an ED who has a very different job than an RN in an ICU  or on a med/surg floor (though there are a lot of skills that cross over from the floors to ED).

A lot of people, including my wife (10+ year ICU CCRN) make the comment that nursing school is worthless and you learn everything on the job, but usually those people worked as techs before they became an RN, and/or like her already have a medical background (she had a biology degree and worked as a CNA prior to nursing school).

I have a somewhat different perspective because I had zero patient care interaction outside of clinicals  prior to starting as a new grad in the ED (things that wouldn't have happened 10 years ago).

I think that some of the classroom learning is valuable (A&P,  micro bio, some of the nursing/medical theory), and I think everyone who is thinking about entering the field should work as a tech while in school if you can afford to (would have been a 50+% pay cut for me, which is why it didn't happen, but it would have been beneficial).

Our hospital system currently has an acute shortage of techs because the job fucking sucks, especially on the floors and in part because they're so short. One tech for 50+ patients isn't functional.
The BSN BS is just that. New grad BSNs are no better than new grad community college RNs, they just know more of the academic/bureaucratic bullshit that systems want for management positions, which is what they care about. No one in management gives a fuck about anyone on the floor; no one in management *actually* gives a fuck about patients.
Management just cares about numbers and metrics just like any corporate MBA fucktwat.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top