User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:13:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tilly is what I use.
View Quote

Yeah, Tilley makes some nice ones.  I just ordered one recently.

http://www.tilley.com/us_en/men/hats/warm-weather
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:27:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I can totally see you in one of these as you flip back your cape whilst twirling your handlebar mustache and laughing at the widow Schwartz.

http://www.villagehatshop.com/photos/product/giant/4511390S60544/big-size-hats/deadman-top-hat.jpg

View Quote

i wore one of those to a ball last year.  it went well with the tailcoat and swagger stick.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I came here to post that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Outback hat  

I came here to post that.

Akubra makes some nice ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Ronnie Van Zant's hat called The Highroller, complete with rattlesnake band.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:14:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Boonie hat
View Quote

Yep.

ETA:  
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Are brimmed hats even legal in NY???

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:21:34 AM EDT
[#8]
My Father has a theory about hats and the American man. It used to be that every man had a hat and every man wanted a good hat. A good hat kept the sun out of your eyes, it kept the rain and snow off your head and from running down inside your coat, it kept you warmer in the winter and you took it off when entering a room or in the presence of a lady as gesture of respect for others and yourself. Another thing, nobody wore advertisements on their head. You where your own man not somebody hanging onto somebody else's fame. Kids wore sports caps. Men wore hats.

Then something changed in America. We stopped doing manly things. If the weather is bad we stay inside. If we are uncomfortable we give up. We couldn't care less about demonstrating respect for others or ourselves because deep down we only care about ourselves and our own comfort. We gave up hats that served a purpose in order to become walking advertisements highlighting somebody else's fame or accomplishment with caps. In a sense, American men are still kids wearing caps instead of men wearing hats.

Ever wonder why men today catch so much ridicule from others if they actually wear a good hat in public?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:25:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Only if the brim doesn't exceed the necessary length to cover the ears and doesn't have a shoulder thing that goes up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My Father has a theory about hats and the American man. It used to be that every man had a hat and every man wanted a good hat. A good hat kept the sun out of your eyes, it kept the rain and snow off your head and from running down inside your coat, it kept you warmer in the winter and you took it off when entering a room or in the presence of a lady as gesture of respect for others and yourself. Another thing, nobody wore advertisements on their head. You where your own man not somebody hanging onto somebody else's fame. Kids wore sports caps. Men wore hats.

Then something changed in America. We stopped doing manly things. If the weather is bad we stay inside. If we are uncomfortable we give up. We couldn't care less about demonstrating respect for others or ourselves because deep down we only care about ourselves and our own comfort. We gave up hats that served a purpose in order to become walking advertisements highlighting somebody else's fame or accomplishment with caps. In a sense, American men are still kids wearing caps instead of men wearing hats.

Ever wonder why men today catch so much ridicule from others if they actually wear a good hat in public?
View Quote

your father is a smart man.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Get one of those barrister wigs to wear under a tricorner hat.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Hey, you've reached old fart status. Why care what others think?

Seriously, for around the yard use, visit Tractor Supply or other farm supply stores. They have a wide selection, and they're not expensive so it it blows off and gets run over by a lawn mower or eaten by a goat, it's not a big loss.

Your wife is right to be concerned. My wife just had a big patch of cancerous skin removed from the side of her face. It's not something you want to go through.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Sure, but it works best if you also talk funny:

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What good is dodging melanoma if you end up catching AIDS diabetes?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

What good is dodging melanoma if you end up catching AIDS diabetes?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Upstate NY with a Pittsburgh hat?  That's asking for trouble.

Quoted:

Men wearing good hats don't get ridiculed.

Hipsters, atheists, and PUA/women haters get ridiculed for wearing ridiculous hats in public.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That's true.

As an old fart, who wears a (very good) western hat in New England, I get a hell of a lot of compliments, from both men and women.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Basements rarely see much sunlight.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:10:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Is that subnet?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:34:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Basements rarely see much sunlight.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Everybody be on the lookout for the Crimson Permanent Assurance.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:06:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Only if the brim doesn't exceed the necessary length to cover the ears and doesn't have a shoulder thing that goes up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Safe hat

High capacity assault hat

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#23]
panama is your best bet, IMO
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't think I can pull off a cowboy hat

View Quote
Well then you're fucked. Don't worry though, bros ruined them long ago

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Pickelhaube

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#26]

Kinky ass Germans putting a butt plug on a helmet.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 6:56:47 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Brim is too narrow for effective sun protection.

Fedora is a fashion statement, not a working hat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What, no love for the fedora?

You're probably confusing it with a trilby.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What, no love for the fedora?

You're right ............ I looked it up.

Posted for the edification of those who may be as ignorant as I was.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#30]
some men can make any hat look dorky.

I'd focus less on the hat.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Go bold or go home.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:50:59 PM EDT
[#32]

At some point I am going to buy a Pickelhaube, wear it to Walmart, and yell at people in a ridiculously bad German accent.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:59:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:25:12 PM EDT
[#35]

I got one of those as a xmas gift since I can't have a beard anymore and that sucker is warm!

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#36]
So what Tilley did you end up with, Aimless?

You know you're old enough to have one
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:35:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I got one of those as a xmas gift since I can't have a beard anymore and that sucker is warm!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't have a beard anymore?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At some point I am going to buy a Pickelhaube, wear it to Walmart, and yell at people in a ridiculously bad German accent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Before you do, send me an itemized list of your collection and I'll make you a fair bid.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 10:50:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Cant believe nobody's suggested this yet

Thanks EESmith
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:04:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
my wife is after me to be better about sun exposure. My poor mom had skin cancer.

I've gotten better about using sunblock since met her, but only in the summer and spring. Maybe I could get a sombrero or one of those big coolie hats made out of wicker

Unfortunately I don't think I can pull off a cowboy hat and can't wear a Boonie hat everywhere
View Quote

Why can't you wear a boonie hat everywhere?  Get a recon hat?  It's technically a Boonie but it has a shorter brim.  Slangvel makes some really nifty ones.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:22:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Has anybody mentioned a Real Deal Brazil hat yet?

A dyed and formed version, is what Woody Harrelson wore in Zombieland.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 11:45:34 PM EDT
[#42]

You know, he'd have to have a bag of sand bigger than his torso to get close to the weight of that idol.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#43]

My go to outdoor summer hat is a Shady Brady.   lightweight, breathable, keeps the sun off my melon.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Why can't you wear a boonie hat everywhere?  Get a recon hat?  It's technically a Boonie but it has a shorter brim.  Slangvel makes some really nifty ones.
http://oi55.tinypic.com/e9gi08.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
my wife is after me to be better about sun exposure. My poor mom had skin cancer.

I've gotten better about using sunblock since met her, but only in the summer and spring. Maybe I could get a sombrero or one of those big coolie hats made out of wicker

Unfortunately I don't think I can pull off a cowboy hat and can't wear a Boonie hat everywhere

http://oi55.tinypic.com/e9gi08.jpg

Shorter brim negates the whole purpose of his wearing a hat.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:59:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

My god man, what happened to your other leg?
View All Quotes

LIEUTENANT DAN YOU AINT GOT NO LEG.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:10:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I have an off-white Tilley hat I got on sale years ago for $25. I think it's kicking around in my closet. Kinda fedora-ish in shape and size. Nice hat. Works well. LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Seriously, if you manage to fuck up a Tilley hat, they'll replace it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:15:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Deerstalker hat.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:23:13 PM EDT
[#48]
You'll likely need several different hats for different styles of dress. Just like a ball cap looks weird in a suit, so does a fedora and a black t-shirt and a ring of hair under the mouth.

How do you typically dress?
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:27:52 PM EDT
[#49]
LRRP Boonie, my own design.  Has a rear sun veil, and snaps around your electronic hearing muffs for when the wife starts yapping.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:40:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
All the fashion conscious farmers around here sport these babies in the hay field.

http://agrisupply.cachefly.net/images/xl/40427.jpg

For court, I would go for this look.

http://i1308.photobucket.com/albums/s602/wayned58/Cool%20Reporter_zpscrm1nw9k.jpg

And for around town, nothing beats a good pith helmet.

View Quote

First image i thought of.

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top