Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#1]
No.

Get a a makita or Milwaukee

I have this drill in question and the Milwaukee 18v red.  The Milwaukee outperforms that drill in every regard, bar none (besides price).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Driver-2601-22/202016152#.UmV3jlDih8E

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#2]
what are you going to use it for?  

just general around the house stuff or serious screwing?  
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#3]
It's already been said.

Cordless drill means Milwaukee for heavy duty or Makita for light-medium utility.

Everything else is a waste of money.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's already been said.

Cordless drill means Milwaukee for heavy duty or Makita for light-medium utility.

Everything else is a waste of money.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:54:20 AM EDT
[#5]
It would be for just general around the house stuff. Hanging things, etc. I rarely ever need a drill. The most I needed one for was when I got a new office to work out of. The only drill I have right now is an old steel drill from the 60s or 70s or something. When it runs you can see the sparks shoot out the back of it (it was designed that way it seems).

I think it's time to get a cordless kind?
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Meh the Ryobi's should be fine the price is right, all my stuff is Bosch though and I've stuck with them since the batteries are all interchangeable. Their Lithium impact wrench is amazing, no hassles of having to have air.

ETA: I do like having corded drills around though for general purpose stuff. They're cheap, last forever, and even the cheap ones typically have more torque than you'll ever need :P
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
The brother in law got one of these last year at Christmas.  I've used it quite a bit around his house helping him with things, and for the price, I'm pretty impressed with it.  It has a lot of torque, it's lightweight (but doesn't feel flimsy or cheap) and the batteries hold a charge when left for weeks without being charged.  For light around the house use, I say FO!  

If you plan on driving a lot of screws, get the impact driver too.  Makes quick work of 3" deck screws and the like.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
would a 12 volt Makita be as good as this one? It looks like even a 12V Makita it 100 dollars. This is something I go years between using which is why I kept the super old corded one for so long.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
would a 12 volt Makita be as good as this one? It looks like even a 12V Makita it 100 dollars. This is something I go years between using which is why I kept the super old corded one for so long.
View Quote

I wouldn't get anything 12v.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#10]
I got Ryobi that is about 10 years old.  I've left it in the back of the truck a few times and once in the rain. It still works.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

It would be for just general around the house stuff. Hanging things, etc. I rarely ever need a drill. The most I needed one for was when I got a new office to work out of. The only drill I have right now is an old steel drill from the 60s or 70s or something. When it runs you can see the sparks shoot out the back of it (it was designed that way it seems).

View Quote

Harbor freight cordless drills are cheap enough you can buy several for the cost of a Ryobi. If you're just using it around the house the cheap ones will work just as well. Hell for the rplacement cost of a Ryobi or Makita battery you can have 2 brand new Harbor Freight drills, a new battery and a new charger.

My Harbor Freight cordless drill has enough torque to run the jacks on my RV. That says a lot.

I had Makita and Dewalt back when I was in the trades...and there's really not much difference other than price.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#12]
let me chime in again with a little more information.

My philosophy with tools is "buy once, cry once."  I use them a lot.  I use them hard at times.  I used a 3ft 3/8" bit to drill through landscaping timbers that were the depth of the bit with the milwaukee.  The ryoby drill wouldn't even spin the bit, even on low setting.

That being said, I have found the drill itself to be reliable in the fashion that it works when I put a battery in it and pull the trigger.  It will do general household chores as needed, but if you find that you need to drill something besides small holes in soft wood or things of that nature you will really really really want a better drill.

I cannot suggest strongly enough considering a better drill IF you think that you will ever need more from it than small holes in soft wood.  If your uses are as specified, the drill you are thinking of will do the job.  If you run into something more difficult, you are going to be buying one of the drills I suggested.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:21:43 AM EDT
[#14]
A cordless drill is really unnecessary if you rarely use it since the lithium batteries will degrade with age and become useless in 10 years or less.

Get a corded drill if you absolutely need a new toy.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A cordless drill is really unnecessary if you rarely use it since the lithium batteries will degrade with age and become useless in 10 years or less.

View Quote

I've always liked this idea. A corded drill with real power is lighter and lasts forever and never has dead batteries. I've owned Makita's and Riobi's and after a few years the batteries or chargers go dead. A quality extension cord and a quality corded drill is all I've used the last few years. I realize there are times your in a place away from the house you might want a battery operated drill, but for your home...corded.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:33:24 AM EDT
[#16]
I have that exact one.  Neighbor bought it for me, and I was surprised at it's quality.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:34:42 AM EDT
[#17]
Infrequent home use - I like the Home Depot Rigid units.  Lifetime warranty, so if the battery goes DOA next year when you need it, you can get it replaced.  I'm happy with my set.  Saved up gift cards from Christmas and birthday, and snagged a driver/drill combo.  Li-Ion batteries too.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:34:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm a big fan of Bosch.  But really, if you're not using it constantly, a cheaper drill would probably do just fine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#19]
If you're just doing occasional work around house you'll be fine. If you're a professional and plan on taking it to the job-site then no.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#20]
De Walt only way to go
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:56:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I was self employed and used a cordless drill every day, all day long. Bosch, Milwaukee, and Makita are all excellent brands...they are professional products. If you are a weekend type of guy/gal, you can get by with lesser brands. If you use them everyday, all day, you need to buy the best. I am retired now, and my cabinets have Milwaukee and Makita in them. I gave my Bosch to a friend because it is heavy, and it still works like it is brand new. Dewalt is a really good lesser brand.

I also agree, if you only use it every once in a while, get a Milwaukee corded drill. It will last you a life time, and it is FAR more powerful than any cordless drill.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Keep in mind when you buy a battery drill you are paying big for the convenience. Spend $80 to $whatever for a battery drill and every 3 or 5 years you will be dumping $80 to $100 into the deal for batterys and maybe a charger . Don't believe the Ridgid "lifetime" crap , read the fine print and it is a limited warranty.
With the Milwaukee you get 5 Years on the tool and 2 or 3 on the battery.

Spend the same $80 to $115 for a Milwaukee or Dewalt corded drill and you get twice the power and many years of use even if you are using it five days a week . The average homeowner will be giving it to somebody as they move into the old age home.

To answer the OP's question , the Ryobi isn't terrible at the sale price of $80 and the battery will fit lots of other stuff but live with the fact you will be tossing it in two or three years
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:58:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No.

Get a a makita or Milwaukee

I have this drill in question and the Milwaukee 18v red.  The Milwaukee outperforms that drill in every regard, bar none (besides price).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M18-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-1-2-in-Cordless-Compact-Drill-Driver-2601-22/202016152#.UmV3jlDih8E

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/1000/01/01ff7d0d-2f8a-4a68-875b-2611d893cda4_1000.jpg
View Quote

I use this Milwaukee drill in the pic at work.  Amazing fast charger.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I have the older ryobi (blue and yellow) drill. It's fine for around the house stuff. I would get something better if I built houses for a living.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

View Quote
I have that Ryobi.

It is fine for harry homeowner stuff.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I've always liked this idea. A corded drill with real power is lighter and lasts forever and never has dead batteries. I've owned Makita's and Riobi's and after a few years the batteries or chargers go dead. A quality extension cord and a quality corded drill is all I've used the last few years. I realize there are times your in a place away from the house you might want a battery operated drill, but for your home...corded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This...
http://www.amazon.com/Black-Decker-DR560-2-Inch-Driver/dp/B004I1QILC/

Cheap. Works great for anything I've thrown at it. The smaller 5.3A one is fine too, but I couldn't stand the non-keyed chuck since it would slip on round bits. Ended up replacing the chuck with a Jacobs and now the smaller one is my dedicated reloading drill for trimming brass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:17:55 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

I use my cordless drill more than any other tool I own, probably.  I can't imagine being restrained by a cord on it.

Mine is also over 15 years old and I still have the original batteries.  (DeWalt 18volt)  I've dropped ti from ladders and generally beat the hell out of it, and it's still going strong.

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:22:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Last year at Thanksgiving (HomeDepot) had that drill with the impact driver and another battery for $99.  So I would pass on the deal you are looking at.

I have been very happy with both.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 4:58:30 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View Quote
Then get an impact driver

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 5:05:49 PM EDT
[#32]
If you rarely use it get something with a cord.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top