User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:34:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This will not please the Houthis.

This could be Biden's obamas Gulf of Tonkin.

(but, I know what you meant.)
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:50:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I got a warning for typing that once.

That said...
View Quote

It's difficult to keep up with the rules and various interpretations these days, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:12:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Well once Lebanon kicks off it will really be a party.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:28:47 AM EDT
[#4]
I just hope both sides have a good time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 5:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What a laughably poor use of tax dollars time and equipment. How long before they're evacuating them aboard and bringing them to your town South Carolina?

How about we do the needful instead. Bring all the munitions from the boats and give them to Israel and tell them have 24hrs to use them all or...... they have to pay us!?!?! Bet we'd see some real action then.
View Quote

72 hours, but I like your style...
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 6:25:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Thats gonna put a dent in potatoes popularity numbers.  ??
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Israel's not taking Lebanon without help. I would suspect that we'll at least provide air support, but we'll see how things develop.
View Quote
The IAF is the best part of the IDF.  The first eagle kills were IAF and I'm not sure how many of its 104 kills are Israeli....but a bunch.  They seem pretty handy with their F35s too.     I could see huckin some Tlams at air defenses maybe, providing ISR from our group in the med.

The only goal that makes sense here is to bomb themselves a buffer zone. I don't think they stand a chance of achieving much more than that.

So it's probably appropriate to question the wisdom of all of this but after Oct 7...I understand the desire to have a buffer.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The problem is, which side will FJB take?  After all, the polling is close in Michigan.
View Quote

Go long RTX?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 8:25:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you shitting me?  Look, I hate FJB as much as any true American, but even FJB has repeatedly stood by Israel in their fight against Hamas and Hezbollah.  It’s okay to agree with dems when they are making a proper decision.  You don’t have to say the sky is red with polka dots just because they say it is blue.  

America supports Israel and for good reason.  I don’t have to like FJB to agree.  The loony leftists are obsessed with radical Islam - the very one who would throw them off tall buildings first.  Why?  Nobody knows, but at least their stupidity has not changed policy on US - Israel relations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is, which side will FJB take?  After all, the polling is close in Michigan.

Are you shitting me?  Look, I hate FJB as much as any true American, but even FJB has repeatedly stood by Israel in their fight against Hamas and Hezbollah.  It’s okay to agree with dems when they are making a proper decision.  You don’t have to say the sky is red with polka dots just because they say it is blue.  

America supports Israel and for good reason.  I don’t have to like FJB to agree.  The loony leftists are obsessed with radical Islam - the very one who would throw them off tall buildings first.  Why?  Nobody knows, but at least their stupidity has not changed policy on US - Israel relations.

Who do you think is funding Iran and thus Hezbollah?
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:11:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It's weird how quiet the media have been about the escalation on the Lebanon border. Last year both sides were being careful to avoid escalation but that line-treading has gradually broken down and an invasion is inevitable now. The northern part of Israel is now uninhabitable due to the threat from Hezbollah, and Israel cannot accept that. They will push Hezbollah back and create a buffer zone. They will be trying to signal to Iran that they are not going to destroy Hezbollah so the Iranians don't feel the need to "use it or lose it" vis-à-vis their massive Hezbollah ballistic missile stocks.
View Quote

The destruction will not be limited to southern Lebanon or northern Israel.  Both sides have the means and motive to seriously damage the other.  Lebanon is, currently, for all intents and purposes a failed state--no president, run by a warlord ( Nasrallah) and his army (Hezbollah), and full of religious and ethnic groups that hate each other.  If Israel destroys Lebanon who knows what will come of it, but it won't be good for anyone.

Assuming both sides keep the fight contained to south of the Litani and Israel kicks Hezbollah out--then what?  

Who is going to occupy that part of Lebanon to keep it demilitarized?  The UN?  Not likely, they've been around since 1978 with no success whatsoever and have cooperated with Hezbollah.  Israel?  Their MoD is saying a military occupation of Gaza, which seems more likely every day, will require 4 divisions and $5 billion a year on top of current defense spending. Committing 4 divisions to Gaza without reducing forces elsewhere will require extending military service time for conscripts from 2 to 4 years.

Will the US under the world class security team of Lloyd and General Charley Brown put troops in to keep both sides separated?  Let's hope not, occupation is a terrible idea even with good leaders.  

Israel can't occupy the zone.  Even if it could, the lessons of the last Lebanon buffer zone would be quickly relearned.  This time they won't even have the luxury of working with a junior partner like the South Lebanon Army (SLA).  Everyone saw what happened to them--asked to do the really crappy jobs from 1985-2000 then abandoned in Ehud Barak's every man for himself withdrawal.

Hezbollah has more and better tunnels than Hamas, fighters who have shot and been shot at for years, and the advantage of fighting on their home turf.  They have hundreds of thousands of rockets/missiles, many of which can hit Israel from north of the Litani.

Iran will ignore any assurances that Hezbollah won't be destroyed--they aren't idiots like our current rulers.  They will not stand idly by and watch 42 years and the billions of dollars they spent go up in smoke.

The threatened invasion has all the hallmarks of a major fiasco.  I for one hope it can be avoided.

If you have $6 burning a hole in your pocket and a Kindle, consider buying this book:Israel's Struggle with Hezbollah: A War Without End.  If you have Kindle Unlimited it's free.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:16:28 AM EDT
[#11]
We need to declare war on China, Russia, NK, and Iran and get the party started.  It's coming anyway.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:18:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
We need to declare war on China, Russia, NK, and Iran and get the party started.  It's coming anyway.
View Quote

While we have the most ability, we ain’t ready to skin that smoke wagon.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While we have the most ability, we ain't ready to skin that smoke wagon.
View Quote
Yeah a new cold war is preferable to an actual shooting war
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:42:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

"The enemy gets a vote" goes the saying.  Lots of people, beyond just Ukraine's borders, didn't want Russia to invade it.  China could invade Taiwan tomorrow, two weeks from now, or two years from now, and no one may be able to stop them.  

Quoted:

It's coming anyway.......
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

"The enemy gets a vote" goes the saying.  Lots of people, beyond just Ukraine's borders, didn't want Russia to invade it.  China could invade Taiwan tomorrow, two weeks from now, or two years from now, and no one may be able to stop them.  

It's coming anyway.......
View Quote
True.

I was sure putin was bluffing just because there was no upside even if he won.  Same is true for china/Taiwan. They could take Taiwan in a week and still end up worse off.

But that doesn't mean they won't.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:16:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's all related at this point so ...

View Quote
Always was. The war in Israel was started by Irans people at the behest of the Russkies trying to take heat off Ukraine.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As long as Americans are not dying . Knock yourselves out.
View Quote

This

-and-

Kill everyone.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

True but I don't want the potato in office with the current military "leadership" we have now when it does kick off. More importantly our industrial base that is needed to support large scale military conflicts is being decimated daily by the left. We don't have any ramp up ability now. We will not make many base materials here because they are dirty or dangerous, hell we can't smelt lead any longer because we transferred that industry to China. We give up all these things to our enemies or other unreliable 3rd world countries.
Getting say Trump in office for 4 yrs would not fix all these thngs since even 4 yrs of Dems in the WH takes a decade to undo but it would be better than now.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 9:21:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There has to be a better no-nuke means to clear the hez out of the area.

An invasion is costly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kill em all
There has to be a better no-nuke means to clear the hez out of the area.

An invasion is costly

Non persistent chemicals
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

This

-and-

Kill everyone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This

-and-

Kill everyone.

The funny thing is if Americans STARTED dying at the hands of others you’d have a large segment of “True American Patriots” here freak out and want to run, hide, surrender, or “de-escalate” to “just save one life” instead of starting to cut throats.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

The funny thing is if Americans STARTED dying at the hands of others you’d have a large segment of “True American Patriots” here freak out and want to run, hide, surrender, or “de-escalate” to “just save one life” instead of starting to cut throats.
View Quote

Or they would straight up join them..
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Hezbollah supposedly has 150,000 missiles.  It would be a completely different level of war.  Even the involvement of one or two carrier groups would likely be insufficient to counter that kind of barrage. And the US missile stock/production is in a very poor position to be able to resupply our ships and support Israel in such a scenario.
Hopefully the Chinese won't try to make a move should it happen.
Link Posted: 6/23/2024 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sure I'm assuming you are going to enlist and do your part?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:02:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:03:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 3:18:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Kill em all
View Quote

Are you from Buenos Aires?
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 5:19:07 AM EDT
[#29]

https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/marine-barracks-1983-attack-02-ap-rc-171023.jpg

Lebanon,....a 1983 walk down memory lane. ^^^

-----------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombings

Operating under the peacetime rules of engagement, MNF peacekeepers – primarily U.S. and French forces – used minimum use of force as possible in order to avoid compromising their neutral status.[31]

Until October 23, 1983, there were ten guidelines issued for each U.S. marine member of the MNF:

When on post, mobile or foot patrol, keep loaded magazine in weapon, bolt closed, weapon on safe, no round in the chamber.

Do not chamber a round unless instructed to do so by a commissioned officer unless you must act in immediate self-defense where deadly force is authorized.

Keep ammo for crew-served weapons readily available but not loaded in the weapon. Weapons will be on safe at all times.

Call local forces to assist in self-defense effort. Notify headquarters.
Use only minimum degree of force to accomplish any mission.
Stop the use of force when it is no longer needed to accomplish the mission.
If you receive effective hostile fire, direct your fire at the source. If possible, use friendly snipers.
Respect civilian property; do not attack it unless absolutely necessary to protect friendly forces.
Protect innocent civilians from harm.
Respect and protect recognized medical agencies such as Red Cross, Red Crescent, etc.
The perimeter guards at the U.S. Marine headquarters on the morning of October 23, 1983, were in full compliance with rules 1–3 and were unable to shoot fast enough to disable or stop the bomber (see Bombings: Sunday, October 23, 1983 below).[32]
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/marine-barracks-1983-attack-03-ap-rc-171023_16x9_992.jpg?w=1600
https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/marines-barracks-1983-attack-ap-rc-171023.jpg
https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/marine-barracks-1983-attack-02-ap-rc-171023.jpg
https://s.abcnews.com/images/International/marine-barracks-1983-attack-05-ap-rc-171023.jpg

Lebanon,....a 1983 walk down memory lane. ^^^

-----------------

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Beirut_barracks_bombings

Operating under the peacetime rules of engagement, MNF peacekeepers   primarily U.S. and French forces   used minimum use of force as possible in order to avoid compromising their neutral status.[31]

Until October 23, 1983, there were ten guidelines issued for each U.S. marine member of the MNF:

When on post, mobile or foot patrol, keep loaded magazine in weapon, bolt closed, weapon on safe, no round in the chamber.

Do not chamber a round unless instructed to do so by a commissioned officer unless you must act in immediate self-defense where deadly force is authorized.

Keep ammo for crew-served weapons readily available but not loaded in the weapon. Weapons will be on safe at all times.

Call local forces to assist in self-defense effort. Notify headquarters.
Use only minimum degree of force to accomplish any mission.
Stop the use of force when it is no longer needed to accomplish the mission.
If you receive effective hostile fire, direct your fire at the source. If possible, use friendly snipers.
Respect civilian property; do not attack it unless absolutely necessary to protect friendly forces.
Protect innocent civilians from harm.
Respect and protect recognized medical agencies such as Red Cross, Red Crescent, etc.
The perimeter guards at the U.S. Marine headquarters on the morning of October 23, 1983, were in full compliance with rules 1 3 and were unable to shoot fast enough to disable or stop the bomber (see Bombings: Sunday, October 23, 1983 below).[32]
View Quote
Yeah, the Corps still owes Iran for that one.

If we are bent on playing neocon regime change games...no one deserves more richly than the mullahs.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hezbollah supposedly has 150,000 missiles.  It would be a completely different level of war.  Even the involvement of one or two carrier groups would likely be insufficient to counter that kind of barrage. And the US missile stock/production is in a very poor position to be able to resupply our ships and support Israel in such a scenario.
Hopefully the Chinese won't try to make a move should it happen.
View Quote

There were statements made by Israel about using "unprecedented weapons" in Lebanon in the event of full-scale conflict with Hezbollah.

Hezbollah certainly has enough rockets to deplete Israel's defenses.

I would assume that Israel will warn loudly and up front that any nation or group which threatens the viability of the nation of Israel will find its own viability addressed.

I would assume that Israel will not wait until Hezbollah has finished laying waste to the country.

I would guess that they will act early, as soon as it is clear that the gloves are off, against both Hezbollah and Iran.

It's going to be an interesting month.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Charley Brown is right; I'm surprised, but it was bound to happen sometime.  

Israel isn't invading anytime soon.  There will be call ups of the reserves, and that will likely be the first big tip-off.  Given the potential for serious attacks on Israeli cities and towns, we'll probably see some activity with the Home Front Command and local authorities.  The UN troops currently in south Lebanon might be told to get out of the way as well, but that's not a given.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

There were statements made by Israel about using "unprecedented weapons" in Lebanon in the event of full-scale conflict with Hezbollah.

Hezbollah certainly has enough rockets to deplete Israel's defenses.

I would assume that Israel will warn loudly and up front that any nation or group which threatens the viability of the nation of Israel will find its own viability addressed.

I would assume that Israel will not wait until Hezbollah has finished laying waste to the country.

I would guess that they will act early, as soon as it is clear that the gloves are off, against both Hezbollah and Iran.

It's going to be an interesting month.
View Quote
Existential threat is the only use case for unprecedented weapons,  At least among the sane.

I see no path forward where Israel allows Iran to deploy nuclear weapons, because those fuckers arent sane. There wasn't much chance of that already but 7 Oct certainly hardened that resolve to an absolute.  Israel will die in the fight before they just accept a nuclear Iran IMO.  They will try every thing they can think of to get the US involved first but push to shove they'll do the heavy lifting.

I can't blame them on either count, unless they stage false flag attacks or something to drag us in. Then fuck those guys.
Link Posted: 6/24/2024 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

The precision munitions could be used to target the enemy positions launching the rockets? Maybe take out the personnel launching them?
View Quote

This.
I'm just a redneck guessing here but I have to think that Hez is using shoot and scoot ?
If you want until you observe rocket fire and then strike the launch site...is that even doing anything?
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Articles, info on Hezbollah's tunnels

Short Youtube videos on Hezbollah's tunnels
Alma Center Exposes: Hezbollah's "Land of Tunnels"

Sarit on the Road: EP9 Back to Hezbollah's cross-border attack tunnel!

Forbes article from Jan 2024:  Gaza’s Vexing Tunnel Network Pales Beside Hezbollah’s Land Of Tunnels.  Link

Highpoints
The web [of tunnels] of staging centers and connectors is hundreds of kilometers long, well exceeding the scope of the Hamas tunnels in Gaza Beeri estimates. His 2021 paper posited a 45-kilometer “attack tunnel” in south Lebanon and featured a map depicting its route.

...identified both attack tunnels and tactical tunnels, some of which the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) discovered and destroyed in Operation Northern Shield in January 2019. The tactical tunnels are located close to villages and provide underground cover from which Hezbollah terrorists can quickly emerge to fire at targets of opportunity, rearm from subterranean weapons stores and re-emerge.i

Tunnels which provide access to and across the Lebanon-Israel border (not unlike the Hamas tunnel near the Erez border crossing into Israel) are interspersed with what Berri maintains are explosive tunnels - dug for the purpose of concealing mass explosives, ready to be detonated when the IDF maneuvers on the ground above inside Lebanon.

...the origins of the Hezbollah tunnel network go back to the 1980s...[the network's ] scale and sophistication are an order of magnitude greater than what has been found in the Gaza Strip.

“This is a huge project that spreads all over Lebanon and contains different types of tunnels..yhe difficulty of neutralizing it will be very high, at least as much as the difficulty of neutralizing the tunnels in the Gaza Strip.”

Among the notable aspects.  is North Korea’s connection with construction of the tunnel network which dates back to active cooperation with and expert advice to Hezbollah beginning in the 1990s.

The tunnels almost certainly house a good portion of Hezbollah’s stock of precision-guided missiles, located on northern Israel’s doorstep. Their launch site pads or openings for mobile truck launchers are difficult to detect from the air.
View Quote

Entire article below
Hezbollah has a network of tunnels beneath southern Lebanon that amounts to “hundreds of kilometers” according to an Israeli thinktank.

Tal Beeri, director of research, at the Alma Research and Education Center (a northern Israel-based organization which focuses on the security challenges along Israel’s Lebanon border) told The Times of Israel earlier this week that Alma has determined that Hezbollah has a veritable “Land of Tunnels” under southern Lebanon which is larger and more sophisticated that its Gaza counterpart.

Beeri and his colleagues used open-source intelligence research to quantify the scope and character of the subterranean network. In a 2021 paper Beeri revealed that he found a “map of polygons” overlaid on southern Lebanon online, apparently posted by someone connected with the tunnel network.

“The map is marked, by an unknown party,” Beeri wrote, “with polygons [circles] indicating 36 geographic regions, towns and villages.”

He told The Times that Alma researchers suspect the polygons mark Hezbollah’s staging centers as part of a defense plan against an Israeli invasion of Lebanon.

“Each local staging center [‘defense’] possesses a network of local underground tunnels. Between all these centers, an infrastructure of regional tunnels was built, interconnected [with] them.”

The web of staging centers and connectors is hundreds of kilometers long, well exceeding the scope of the Hamas tunnels in Gaza Beeri estimates. His 2021 paper posited a 45-kilometer “attack tunnel” in south Lebanon and featured a map depicting its route.

This too, was found on the internet. Someone had marked the route Beeri explained and his team reverse-engineered the likely course of the tunnel.

“We found additional materials, including footage of pickup trucks inside a tunnel with various connecting branches,” he said in The Times article.

“That particular video we decided not to publish initially, because we didn’t have definitive proof that it was filmed in a tunnel in Lebanon. We thought it was possible that somebody was deliberately trying to mislead us. Nonetheless, in the wake of several checks that we did, including looking at the vegetation, the kinds of vehicles and the route, we think it’s extremely likely that this is inside Lebanon.”

Beeri identified both attack tunnels and tactical tunnels, some of which the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) discovered and destroyed in Operation Northern Shield in January 2019. The tactical tunnels are located close to villages and provide underground cover from which Hezbollah terrorists can quickly emerge to fire at targets of opportunity, rearm from subterranean weapons stores and re-emerge.

Tunnels which provide access to and across the Lebanon-Israel border (not unlike the Hamas tunnel near the Erez border crossing into Israel) are interspersed with what Berri maintains are explosive tunnels - dug for the purpose of concealing mass explosives, ready to be detonated when the IDF maneuvers on the ground above inside Lebanon.

Among the notable aspects of Beeri’s research is North Korea’s connection with construction of the tunnel network which dates back to active cooperation with and expert advice to Hezbollah beginning in the 1990s. As The Times observed, “North Korea has historic expertise in the digging of tunnels in mountainous and rocky areas.”

Hezbollah subsequently set up Shiite-owned companies to undertake “civilian infrastructure” projects in southern Lebanon in the 2000s. These built many additional tunnels according to the Alma research.

In addition to a variety of stores, the tunnels almost certainly house a good portion of Hezbollah’s stock of precision-guided missiles, located on northern Israel’s doorstep. Their launch site pads or openings for mobile truck launchers are difficult to detect from the air.

An added note from the Alma research is that one of the private companies mentioned above (the Mustafa Commercial and Contracting Company) apparently interacted with the United Nations Development Program as a civil construction contractor.

I queried the United Nations, specifically the United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). about its knowledge of the Hezbollah tunnel network. I asked how long the organization has known of the tunnels’ existence, if it has any knowledge whether the tunnels run underneath civilian infrastructure (hospitals, schools).

I also asked whether UNIFIL knows if any of the tunnels run beneath its own compounds in southern Lebanon, adding a question as to whether it has observed Hezbollah activity near tunnel entrances or whether it has witnessed Hezbollah-launched strikes from tunnels

UNIFIL has not yet offered responses. But a series of questions to the Alma Research and Education Center were answered. In an email, Henry Zaher, Alma’s logistics coordinator, told me that the presence of the tunnels in Lebanon became public knowledge in Israel with the discovery of six Hezbollah attack tunnels in December 2018 by the IDF.

Zaher said that the origins of the Hezbollah tunnel network go back to the 1980s, pre-dating the Gaza tunnels. He also repeated Beeri’s assertion that its scale and sophistication are an order of magnitude greater than what has been found in the Gaza Strip.

“This is a huge project that spreads all over Lebanon and contains different types of tunnels,” Zaher affirmed. “The difficulty of neutralizing it will be very high, at least as much as the difficulty of neutralizing the tunnels in the Gaza Strip.”

The international community he opined has been less aware of the presence and construction of the tunnel network despite intelligence suggesting it. He also contends that the United Nations has actively ignored the construction and presence of the Hezbollah tunnels.

“Unfortunately, the United Nations is not interested in this despite the clear involvement of the North Koreans in the project,” Zaher said via email.

“And even the Hezbollah company that is responsible for their construction ‘Jahd Al Bana’ appears on the United Nations website under the entry as a provider of social services in Asia... UNIFIL did not even conduct a tour of the tunnel entrances on the Lebanese side that were discovered by Israel in December 2018.”

As Israel faces multiple fronts in addition to its military engagement with Hamas, the threat of the “Land of Tunnels” in southern Lebanon may emerge as a more obvious lever for Hamas to further harass Israeli forces and possibly, to avenge the killing of Hamas deputy leader, Saleh al-Arouri, in Beirut.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Direct link to PDF of the Alma Center's report on Hezbollah's tunnels.  PDF WILL DOWNLOAD
Link Posted: 6/25/2024 7:10:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:36:44 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The precision munitions could be used to target the enemy positions launching the rockets? Maybe take out the personnel launching them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The potato will have them just hang around and shoot $10 million dollar smart missiles at $10 thousand dollar dumb rockets.

Um, that’s kind of what those ships were designed to do.  I am missing the part where we have any assets that just shoot cheap, inexpensive munitions.  Aside from B52’s carpet binning with 500 lb unguided bombs, most of what we have is precision munitions.

This.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#38]
During first gulf war in '91 we could not stop saddam from launching scud missiles into our bases and saudi.  Even with total air supremacy and satellite recce they would still pop up from hiding with their launchers and have a go.  Some of them did real damage, like the one that hit hit the troops sleeping in the warehouse.   The point is that they can hide their launchers underground , and they are hard to deal with.
Link Posted: 6/26/2024 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
During first gulf war in '91 we could not stop saddam from launching scud missiles into our bases and saudi.  Even with total air supremacy and satellite recce they would still pop up from hiding with their launchers and have a go.  Some of them did real damage, like the one that hit hit the troops sleeping in the warehouse.   The point is that they can hide their launchers underground , and they are hard to deal with.
View Quote

The Iraqi missiles were liquid fueled, most of Hezbollah's use solid fuel, so no opportunity to get them while they are gassing up before launch.
Link Posted: 6/27/2024 3:01:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 8:53:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Israel has killed another senior Hezbollah commander today. Hezbollah responded to a similar incident last month with 3 days of attacks with missiles, drones, and anti-tank weapons.

The Saudi news outlet Al-Hadath reports that the Hezbollah commander killed in the Israeli strike in Tyre was Abu Ali Nasser, the head of the terror group's Aziz unit, one of three regional divisions in south Lebanon

The unit is responsible for the eastern district on the Israel-Lebanon border.
View Quote

Picture from today's strike in Tyre that killed Abu Ali Nasser
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:02:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

The destruction will not be limited to southern Lebanon or northern Israel.  Both sides have the means and motive to seriously damage the other.  Lebanon is, currently, for all intents and purposes a failed state--no president, run by a warlord ( Nasrallah) and his army (Hezbollah), and full of religious and ethnic groups that hate each other.  If Israel destroys Lebanon who knows what will come of it, but it won't be good for anyone.

Assuming both sides keep the fight contained to south of the Litani and Israel kicks Hezbollah out--then what?  

Who is going to occupy that part of Lebanon to keep it demilitarized?  The UN?  Not likely, they've been around since 1978 with no success whatsoever and have cooperated with Hezbollah.  Israel?  Their MoD is saying a military occupation of Gaza, which seems more likely every day, will require 4 divisions and $5 billion a year on top of current defense spending. Committing 4 divisions to Gaza without reducing forces elsewhere will require extending military service time for conscripts from 2 to 4 years.

Will the US under the world class security team of Lloyd and General Charley Brown put troops in to keep both sides separated?  Let's hope not, occupation is a terrible idea even with good leaders.  

Israel can't occupy the zone.  Even if it could, the lessons of the last Lebanon buffer zone would be quickly relearned.  This time they won't even have the luxury of working with a junior partner like the South Lebanon Army (SLA).  Everyone saw what happened to them--asked to do the really crappy jobs from 1985-2000 then abandoned in Ehud Barak's every man for himself withdrawal.

Hezbollah has more and better tunnels than Hamas, fighters who have shot and been shot at for years, and the advantage of fighting on their home turf.  They have hundreds of thousands of rockets/missiles, many of which can hit Israel from north of the Litani.

Iran will ignore any assurances that Hezbollah won't be destroyed--they aren't idiots like our current rulers.  They will not stand idly by and watch 42 years and the billions of dollars they spent go up in smoke.

The threatened invasion has all the hallmarks of a major fiasco.  I for one hope it can be avoided.

If you have $6 burning a hole in your pocket and a Kindle, consider buying this book:Israel's Struggle with Hezbollah: A War Without End.  If you have Kindle Unlimited it's free.
View Quote
Excellent post.

Hezbollah is in a whole different league than Hamas.  It took Israel 9 months to suppress Hamas enough to pacify Gaza; it will take even longer for them to take out Hezbollah -- and that's if everything goes right for the IDF.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
True.

I was sure putin was bluffing just because there was no upside even if he won.  Same is true for china/Taiwan. They could take Taiwan in a week and still end up worse off.

But that doesn't mean they won't.
View Quote
That's why I've never believed China will invade Taiwan; the benefits of the invasion would be outweighed by the costs.

But you never discount the fact that nations do things not because they are in their best interests, but because they can do them.  China might want to send a message to everyone that they are the Big Dog in the world now.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:12:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That's why I've never believed China will invade Taiwan; the benefits of the invasion would be outweighed by the costs.

But you never discount the fact that nations do things not because they are in their best interests, but because they can do them.  China might want to send a message to everyone that they are the Big Dog in the world now.
View Quote
Yeah just because we don't see the motivation doesn't mean there isn't one.  Xi may see threats or situations that we simply don't see or understand.  A huge part of the cold war was trying to see the world through Soviet eyes, we got it wrong as often as right, and so did they.

A situation can be far more dangerous than we appreciate simply due to misunderstanding.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly

Let Israel be Israel get out of her way
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top