Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#1]
This feels like it belongs in this thread.

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 10/20/2022 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AJE:

Those things are light years long.   The little spikes sticking off of the pillars are bigger than our solar system.
View Quote

That answers my question.  Bit makes e wonder:

How many such things are out there in our galaxy?  How common are they?  How close are the other ones?

What does a night sky look like there?  Are we in one of those clouds too?
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:25:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Are those all stars in our own galaxy? I know the pillars are in our galaxy, but are all the stars in the image also?
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:31:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ArGyLe64:

Yeah, I understand that but I was hoping to see more change than that after all this time. The universe is just way too big (that's a good thing though).
View Quote

It's not even a blink of they eye in the scale that we're seeing here. That thing will look more or less the same a million years from now.

Those are *stars* that formation is spitting out. Our brains literally can't visualize or imagine how large it is.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 11:42:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By brass:

I think the way I'd describe it would be "A roundish set of shape made from hexagons, with little bits in front of and behind it."

Though I haven't seen the stamps, that's the sort of image try slap on every article related.
View Quote

Probably easier for some to visualize it as a satellite TV dish antenna on top a camper.  They don't really need to know about the layers of insulating blankets or laptop film, whatever.  Except the dish antenna are polished metal mirrors
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:19:51 AM EDT
[#7]
holy shit the universe is unfathomably huge
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By midcap:
View Quote

That get you all hot and bothered?
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 10/21/2022 9:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Reminds me of these things.

Link Posted: 10/22/2022 5:16:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Faw7LnzXgAAwg_u?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Faw7Me4WAAMN1fE?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

This is an incredible image of Jupiter. All of these are. I want to hang them in my house.  I swear my wife is going to think I'm nuts.
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 11:31:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NwG:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I look up into the sky on a clear night, and like my brain just can't comprehend it
Link Posted: 10/22/2022 2:40:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#13]

I look up into the sky on a clear night, and like my brain just can't comprehend it
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File

THICC
Link Posted: 10/25/2022 10:14:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 10/28/2022 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#16]
We are so unbelievably small and insignificant.
Link Posted: 10/29/2022 1:44:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#17]
Link Posted: 11/15/2022 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 11/15/2022 4:05:48 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

so is webb ok?
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 12:28:10 AM EDT
[#20]

so is webb ok?
View Quote

Wouldn't seem to be all that rare if it got hit by one within its first few months.

I haven't seen anything recently about troubles with sticky wheels or bearings.  Any updates on that?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
More new discoveries that surprise astronomers, don't fit current theories very well.

In what James Webb Space Telescope researchers call a "whole new chapter in astronomy," the observatory has helped to locate two early galaxies, one of which may contain the most distant starlight ever seen.  In a tweet, the international team said the unexpectedly bright galaxies could fundamentally alter what is known about the very first stars.

"With Webb, we were amazed to find the most distant starlight that anyone had ever seen, just days after Webb released its first data," Rohan Naidu, of the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, told NASA of the more distant GLASS galaxy – referred to as GLASS-z12 – which is believed to date back to 350 million years after the big bang.

"While the distances of these early sources still need to be confirmed with spectroscopy, their extreme brightnesses are a real puzzle, challenging our understanding of galaxy formation," the University of Geneva's Pascal Oesch said.

https://www.foxnews.com/science/james-webb-space-telescope-researchers-uncover-early-galaxies-new-chapter-astronomy
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2022 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#23]
JWST discovered PHOTOCHEMISTRY in an exoplanet's atmosphere (this is a BIG deal) ft. Dr. Jake Taylor

Adorably energetic astrophysicist chick reporting that JWST has found evidence of photochemistry in exoplanet WASP-39b’s atmosphere:

Using three of its instruments, the JWST was able to observe light from the planet’s star as it filtered through WASP-39b’s atmosphere, a process known as transmission spectroscopy. This allowed a team of more than 300 astronomers to detect water, carbon monoxide, sodium, potassium and more in the planet’s atmosphere, in addition to the carbon dioxide. The gives the planet a similar composition to Saturn’s, although it has no detectable rings.

The team was also surprised to detect sulfur dioxide, which had appeared as a mysterious bump in early observation data. Its presence suggests that a photochemical reaction is taking place in the atmosphere as light from the star hits it, similarly to how the Sun produces ozone in Earth’s atmosphere. In WASP-39b’s case, light from its star, which is slightly smaller than the Sun, splits water in its atmosphere into hydrogen and hydroxide, which reacts with hydrogen sulfide to produce sulfur dioxide.

“These spectra are just exquisite in their detail, and reveal an additional way that the star affects the planet’s atmospheric composition, through photochemistry,” says Victoria Meadows, an astronomer at the University of Washington in Seattle.

“Photochemistry, because it is such an important process here on Earth, is probably an important process on other potentially habitable planets,” says Jacob Bean, an astronomer at the University of Chicago in Illinois and the observation team’s co-leader. Until now, “we’ve only been able to test our understanding of photochemistry in our Solar System. But planets around other stars give us access to completely different physical conditions.”
View Quote

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-022-03820-3
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#24]
There were a lot of cost overruns with JWST, and in the end, it cost $10-billion over 17 years.

Sounds expensive, but really, that's pretty cheap compared to the money we're throwing at things like Ukraine right now.

We should have built 5 of the damn things and launched them all up at once.
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 1:33:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/3/2022 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 11:48:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:
There were a lot of cost overruns with JWST, and in the end, it cost $10-billion over 17 years.

Sounds expensive, but really, that's pretty cheap compared to the money we're throwing at things like Ukraine right now.

View Quote

Yeah, but they’re also getting twice as much mission time than they expected (twenty years vs ten years) out of the thing because of how well the orbital insertion maneuver went.

We’re definitely getting our money’s worth out of this thing
Link Posted: 12/4/2022 12:23:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Laserjock] [#28]
1 of the cable arrays part of the assembly the tiny company I was with as a laserjock worked on. We engraved our names on and "added lightness"  you can say

Maybe some sexy green alien - female - will see my name up in space and ummm try to make contact if you know what I mean . . .

Link Posted: 12/4/2022 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Webb is representative of the NASA way of doing things. That way of doing things can be impressive but I believe that we are going to see some pretty dramatic changes soon with launch costs finally trending downward.

JWST's successor: The Carl Sagan Observatory - a 12 METRE optical telescope searching for exo-Earth

It would be interesting if the Carl Sagan Instrument is launched, but I don't expect it to be. With the new generation of launch vehicles on the drawing board I anticipate there will be changes to the design of future space telescopes. Instruments built to be a bit more rugged as opposed to having to shave every single possible gram of weight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 12:00:34 AM EDT
[#30]
any new pics ?
Link Posted: 1/21/2023 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Even if they make  it more rugged, they'll shave every excess gram of weight possible.  They'll be using less than ideal mirror surfaces now that the density/frequency of micro-meteors is known (if that is their reason and not blotting out something they don't want us to see )

I'm not so sure we'll learn more, though we've already learned that what was thought as 'known science' isn't correct since looking back so far (through time), they see more and more galaxies rather than the void before "big bang".  They haven't really dumped any new images of their super deep looking images have captured, other than the first one that says "this is supposed to be empty space right after Big Bang, but it is full of galaxies" so they're scratching their heads.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
Webb is representative of the NASA way of doing things. That way of doing things can be impressive but I believe that we are going to see some pretty dramatic changes soon with launch costs finally trending downward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIgQpXObjFI

It would be interesting if the Carl Sagan Instrument is launched, but I don't expect it to be. With the new generation of launch vehicles on the drawing board I anticipate there will be changes to the design of future space telescopes. Instruments built to be a bit more rugged as opposed to having to shave every single possible gram of weight.

Even if they make  it more rugged, they'll shave every excess gram of weight possible.  They'll be using less than ideal mirror surfaces now that the density/frequency of micro-meteors is known (if that is their reason and not blotting out something they don't want us to see )

I'm not so sure we'll learn more, though we've already learned that what was thought as 'known science' isn't correct since looking back so far (through time), they see more and more galaxies rather than the void before "big bang".  They haven't really dumped any new images of their super deep looking images have captured, other than the first one that says "this is supposed to be empty space right after Big Bang, but it is full of galaxies" so they're scratching their heads.

Exactly!

once I saw the Hubble deep field images after they were published, I had a strong feeling that if they ever built a telescope that could see much further, that this would be the case. I'm curious how they will change their interpretations based on all this new data.
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#33]
We contemplate eternity
Beneath the vast indifference of heaven

-Warren Zevon

Link Posted: 1/22/2023 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#34]
While I think they were trying to be "book smart" using a Lagrange Point for the telescope, I think they are finding that it is a garbage collection point more suited for a hardened space station which sucks.  I hope that their "aim it at nothing solution" works, but I think that will only help somewhat and it will have a much shorter life than planned
Link Posted: 1/22/2023 3:00:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By SparticleBrane:

View Quote

Our country has never been shy about throwing stupid money at war and death.

This project represents the end of OLD commie style projects and we are shifting toward getting more bang for our buck, science wise.

These will become cheaper and more plentiful now that our space market has shifted closer to capitalism.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Bump
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:21:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#37]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:41:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By 4q2:
any new pics ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 4:57:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brass] [#39]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#40]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgKXalFWIAIdI-6?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FgKXcgQXgAMCKLB?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#41]
while all of this is amazing, the absolute mind bending largeness of it all. I have had discussions that we are all in our own place.
relatively speaking
we cannot be at the absolute same space  from each other.
if you and i are having a conversation, each at 3 feet apart, and another hears that conversation at 3 feet 6 inches, for all involved it happened at ethe same time, but person 3 is behind.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:17:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Red_Label] [#42]
Large, mature galaxies discovered at the edge of the universe. Scientists in shock. Science NOT settled! REAL science is NEVER settled

Story
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:30:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Red_Label:
Large, mature galaxies discovered at the edge of the universe. Scientists in shock. Science NOT settled! REAL science is NEVER settled

Story
View Quote

Sounds like that date for the age of the universe just got tossed out the window
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:35:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: klinc] [#45]
Originally Posted By R_S:

Sounds like that date for the age of the universe just got tossed out the window
View All Quotes

Story

Saw a video from Michio Kaku yesterday and he pretty much said, "Yeah, textbooks will have to be rewritten now."

...but that's nothing new.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:43:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By klinc:

Saw a video from Michio Kaku yesterday and he pretty much said, "Yeah, textbooks will have to be rewritten now."

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By klinc:

Story

Yeah....The latest Cosmos with BSM had some cringe moments when it came to the age of the universe. The words "we know" was used a bit too much.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 3:52:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 12:52:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Had an opportunity to attend a NASA presentation on JWST at a local college. It was very glossy, but still interesting to hear it from an engineer who works at nearby Glenn.

The school's observatory was open after, which was a nice treat. I took my niece because she's expressed interest in the cosmos, and now she wants to be an astronomer. Unfortunately, we had scattered clouds tonight so there were only brief glimpses for the stars through the telescope.

Didn't learn anything groundbreaking about the JWST but it was special to see it amaze an 11 year old.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:36:18 AM EDT
[#49]

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 2:38:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top