Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They're like a pizza cutter.

All edge. No point.

View Quote

It's all so tiresome
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:38:48 AM EDT
[#2]
John Lennon, Tupac, Kurt Cobain, and a few others that are worshipped in death, would be considered washed-up mediocrity had they lived.
By now, most would have said or done something to get themselves canceled by the same choads that worship them.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Help
Hello Goodbye
Revolution
#9 Dream
I Am the Walrus
Norwegian Wood
Come Together
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
My Life
Eleanor Rigby
Day in the Life
Fool on the Hill
Hard Days Night
With a Little Help from my Friends
Lady Madonna
Penny Lane
Glass Onion

Yep.  They suck alright.  I'll take suck all day long.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:40:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Help
Hello Goodbye
Revolution
#9 Dream
I Am the Walrus
Norwegian Wood
Come Together
My Life
Eleanor Rigby
Day in the Life
Fool on the Hill
Hard Days Night
Lady Madonna
Penny Lane
Glass Onion

Yep.  They suck.  
View Quote

Shh, don't you know the current GD bandwagon is that the Beatles were no-talent hacks?  You'll be ostracized, bro.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:49:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the beetles sucked they got worse over time.

they "made it" in the us because they were different not because they were talented.
View Quote

You’re right, Critical Race Theory’s popularity here proves it.  It’s a shit theory (like the Beatles)… but “made it” here.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I went to a tribute band concert (Rain) one time and enjoyed the heck out of it. But not because of their later music, or their politics, for sure. At the end of the day they were just an early example of the boy band phenomena. They were hardly philosophers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
the beetles sucked they got worse over time.

they "made it" in the us because they were different not because they were talented.

I went to a tribute band concert (Rain) one time and enjoyed the heck out of it. But not because of their later music, or their politics, for sure. At the end of the day they were just an early example of the boy band phenomena. They were hardly philosophers.

Which bands/performers were philosophers?
What other boy band came close to their record sales…the Stones?

I think its easy to see who the Beatles were, working class brits who, if they weren’t murdered or died would still be playing and writing music like McCartney and Ringo.  
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We can be friends.

“Amazing song writer”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjF1bG5LUcs
View All Quotes

Only new Happy Birthday song of any consequence since…forever.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Shh, don't you know the current GD bandwagon is that the Beatles were no-talent hacks?  You'll be ostracized, bro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Help
Hello Goodbye
Revolution
#9 Dream
I Am the Walrus
Norwegian Wood
Come Together
My Life
Eleanor Rigby
Day in the Life
Fool on the Hill
Hard Days Night
Lady Madonna
Penny Lane
Glass Onion

Yep.  They suck.  

I love The Beatles' stuff (and Steely Dan) for that matter.

Click To View Spoiler

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What he did to his first wife Cynthia and son Julian was unforgivable.  He was an absolute piece of shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The author of this is a living treasure to our nation. I wish more people followed him:

https://spectator.org/john-lennon-no-model-to-emulate/

Stop the John Lennon worship, please. The guy was a fool, a wife beater, a hypocrite, a serial liar, a homewrecker, a drug abuser, and an awful father.
What he did to his first wife Cynthia and son Julian was unforgivable.  He was an absolute piece of shit.

He wrote a song about it.  Gettin Better.

I used to be cruel to my woman
I beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
Man I was mean but I'm changing my scene
And I'm doing the best that I can (Ooh)

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:00:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Watch Chuck Berry's eyes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZiPO9V_aQ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yoko broke up the band.

Watch Chuck Berry's eyes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgZiPO9V_aQ

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:02:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

John Lennon did not deserve to be shot in the face.

Far too quick.   John Lennon deserved to be gut shot and denied medical care until he died of sepsis 6-1/2 days later.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Far too quick.   John Lennon deserved to be gut shot and denied medical care until he died of sepsis 6-1/2 days later.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The author of this is a living treasure to our nation. I wish more people followed him:

https://spectator.org/john-lennon-no-model-to-emulate/

Stop the John Lennon worship, please. The guy was a fool, a wife beater, a hypocrite, a serial liar, a homewrecker, a drug abuser, and an awful father.
View Quote

Agree. There he was singing "imagine no possessions" from his multi-million dollar mansion.   I honestly do believe he may have been mentally ill, all the "phases" he went through.  Either that or drugs really did do a number on him.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Live and let die was great in concert.  My wife about crapped with the first pyrotechnics went off when we saw McCartney a few years ago.

For being in his lates 70’s he put on a great show.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:31:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Read about Lennon's constantly changing philosophies and beliefs in the Sixties.  Every one was embraced as an "absolute answer" until the next phase came along.  I suspect this would have been the same had he lived.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:34:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 11:43:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

John Lennon was not a commie. He played one for the public, but he was really a materialist and capitalist.  I had not heard that he was a fan of Reagan, but I get it.  I have read that friends and those close to him would tease him after he spent millions on houses, cars, property, clothes, etc.  They would say "Hey John, can you imagine no possessions?".  His reply would be something to the effect of "It was just a bloody song".   I am not saying he was a bit idealistic at some point, but certainly was not the last few years of his life.

So yes to a hypocrite, bad father, bad husband to first wife, and all around asswipe, but MDC did not kill a commie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

John Lennon was not a commie. He played one for the public, but he was really a materialist and capitalist.  I had not heard that he was a fan of Reagan, but I get it.  I have read that friends and those close to him would tease him after he spent millions on houses, cars, property, clothes, etc.  They would say "Hey John, can you imagine no possessions?".  His reply would be something to the effect of "It was just a bloody song".   I am not saying he was a bit idealistic at some point, but certainly was not the last few years of his life.

So yes to a hypocrite, bad father, bad husband to first wife, and all around asswipe, but MDC did not kill a commie.

georgecarlinitsabigclubandwerenotinit.gif
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:21:52 PM EDT
[#17]
i think that part of their success was that people were really getting tired of surfin' and hot rod songs...
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:26:21 PM EDT
[#18]
All generational differences --and music genres-- aside... NO musician or performer (or actor) is someone to emulate.

You can emulate their musical skill, their artistry, their technical mastery, but stop emulating them as personalities or cultural heroes or political spokespersons.

Almost without exception (and I say this as an artist) they are fucked-up people with lots of mental problems.

Maybe that's the price artists pay for creative genius (or idiotic delusions of grandeur).

But you don't want to be these people.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Help
Hello Goodbye
Revolution
#9 Dream
I Am the Walrus
Norwegian Wood
Come Together
My Life
Eleanor Rigby
Day in the Life
Fool on the Hill
Hard Days Night
Lady Madonna
Penny Lane
Glass Onion

Yep.  They suck alright.  I'll take suck all day long.
View Quote
I think Jon Lennon sucked. Everybody else in the band really just wanted to make bops, but he wanted to get political, and he was a goofy asshole for that. That ruined the band more than anything else. Everybody else in the band still put out good music afterward. He got shot.

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He didn't do anything that he deserved to die for, much less dying in pain from sepsis.

This fucking place

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He didn't do anything that he deserved to die for, much less dying in pain from sepsis.

This fucking place

Classy sort of lot some of them are, you know?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:04:54 PM EDT
[#21]

I thought McCartney’s stuff was pretty insipid. What was it Lennon called Ob-La-Di, “granny shit”?

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:32:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I thought McCartney’s stuff was pretty insipid. What was it Lennon called Ob-La-Di, “granny shit”?

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Meh, life goes on.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:49:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Meh, life goes on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, life goes on.

Niiiiice!

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Yoko broke up the band.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

no the beatles didn't change shit.

the marketing and counter culture propped them up because they were sort of unique in the USA. there are a ton of US musicians that were exponentially more talented that never got the nod for various reasons.  

their talent was mediocre at best, the music was pop level crap. they really were not even unique in their home country which is why they never peaked until they got here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Milli Vanilli didn't change the face of pop music, The Beatles did. It's almost impossible to overstate their impact. If I started listing the acts they influenced, I'd be here all day.
Not everyone likes the Beatles. Fine. There's lots of things that lots of people don't like. But to say they sucked, or they were just a boy band, is silly internet edgelord bullshit.

the marketing and counter culture propped them up because they were sort of unique in the USA. there are a ton of US musicians that were exponentially more talented that never got the nod for various reasons.  

their talent was mediocre at best, the music was pop level crap. they really were not even unique in their home country which is why they never peaked until they got here.

American pop music in the early 60's was becoming a manufactured and carefully manicured pre-fab teen idol  product a la Fabian, Paul Anka, etc.  The Beatles interrupted that, although the Wrecking Crew sort of continued the pre-fab, manufactured theme behind the scenes.  Most of the west coast bands like The Byrds, Paul Revere and the Raiders, and even the Beach Boys used studio musicians on the records even if the actual band did the touring.  The Monkees weren't the only "made up" band.  The Beatles at least authentically played their own instruments.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Milli Vanilli didn't change the face of pop music, The Beatles did. It's almost impossible to overstate their impact. If I started listing the acts they influenced, I'd be here all day.
Not everyone likes the Beatles. Fine. There's lots of things that lots of people don't like. But to say they sucked, or they were just a boy band, is silly internet edgelord bullshit.

You have no idea what you are talking about.  The Beatles had more influence on more people than almost any other musical entity, or at least are on the list of the top names.   The hordes of middle America white pre-pubescent teens were a "counter-culture"?  Really?  Their songs were their marketing.  Without those there would have been nothing.  All of those 'exponentially talented'  musicians you refer to have no bearing on anything.  In art as in life there are millions of participants of all stripes.  Some win, some lose, all to varying degrees.   You can segment out those who are known in pop-culture from the total if you wish and try to attribute various reasons for success or failure.  So what?   All of that is meaningless.    Contrary to your assertion they were unique both here and in their home country.  Did they have influences?  Of course, like all do.   The music ran the gamut from early 60's pop to late 60's early 70's drug addled spiritual exegeses.  You label all of that as 'pop-level crap', demonstrating a very one dimensional view.   You come across as having some agenda and wanting to angrily foist it on others, for what reason?  As mentioned above you of course can have whatever opinion you wish to have.

Look, I was never a Beatles fan - at most times they are not even on the list of anything I would like to listen to.  Some of their songs are exceptional pieces of musical art and inspirational (see my list of some of those a bit upstream) however I was exposed to music all of my life, play since age 5, write, arrange, compose, perform, listen, watch, study  and that experience confirms that every person, based on their own individuality has their own tastes so I leave all criticism of music right there where it belongs - up to the individual experiencing it to like or not like something, to become inspired or disgusted as is appropriate.  In the end I appreciate it all.  

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 2:51:00 PM EDT
[#28]
I have to agree with Lennon when it comes to this comment.

John Lennon "our society is run by insane people"
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Ed Sullivan Show
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Meh, life goes on.
View Quote

Paul? Is that you?
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yoko prolly did a great Don King crotch model/emulate...

View Quote

Well, there are photos out there...

Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:49:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:52:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
People need to stop elevating entertainers to anything more than they are, in general.

People, much of GD included, give way too much of a shit what our entertainers are doing or what they are saying than they deserve.
View Quote

Exactly. I've never understood the sheer insane amount on celebrity worship in this country.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have to agree with Lennon when it comes to this comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvqmGUZTCtU
View Quote

Everyone agrees with that. The question is why/how though.

I think our government is insanely big. Others think it’s insanely small. Those are two radically different things.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Exactly. I've never understood the sheer insane amount on celebrity worship in this country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People need to stop elevating entertainers to anything more than they are, in general.

People, much of GD included, give way too much of a shit what our entertainers are doing or what they are saying than they deserve.

This is entirely correct and it IS a serious problem in this country.  As to how it ever got that way, that's way beyond me, but I suppose it just evolved over decades starting with movie stars and then expanding to rock stars.

Their opinions on ANYTHING OTHER than their field of expertise (acting or music) are NO BETTER than anyone else's, barring any special training or education in the area they are spouting off about.

Yet for some reason, in this country today, we somehow think people like Oprah Winfrey are experts on every issue under the Sun, just because they are celebrities.

It's one of the reasons we are in the mess we are in, too.
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:41:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

No kidding.....Cardi B sells a shit load of musicrecordings....
View Quote

Fixed it...
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 5:59:41 PM EDT
[#37]
One of the greatest song writers, and most innovative musicians ever!  He gets a pass for ANY indiscretions, he's a BEATLE!
Link Posted: 3/20/2023 8:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
pied pipers leading a generation into drugs, stds, and eastern mysticism
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Derp.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I honestly don't think I've ever seen anyone suggest that Lennon was someone to emulate. I thought it was pretty much common knowledge that he was a huge dick.
View Quote

That was my general impression.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Which bands/performers were philosophers?
View Quote

I wasn't saying that other bands were philosophers. They're not. They're just entertainers, and they generally have terrible grasps of politics and human nature. And that's the point.
Link Posted: 3/21/2023 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top