Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2017 2:49:20 PM EDT
My  Deer D130 is 10 years old and it's time to upgrade and I'm currently looking at the S240 and X300. I own 10 acres but about 7 is woods so for the most part I mow around 3 give or take a little. I know the S series is fairly new and has some parts of the X series including the Kawasaki engine, K46 trans, and bulkier spindles. 

Which one would you choose?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Neither, for 3 acres you should get a ZTR with at least a 52-54" deck.

Look at the Hustler Raptor SD
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 2:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Neither, for 3 acres you should get a ZTR with at least a 52-54" deck.

Look at the Hustler Raptor SD
View Quote
No interest in a zero turn and I'm a JD owner. I'm in no hurry to get it down fast and enjoy mowing.

Thanks for the advise but see main post and thread title
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:03:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a CUT with a belly mower option, then you have something that will be handy on all 10 acres.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a CUT with a belly mower option, then you have something that will be handy on all 10 acres.
View Quote
Facepaml
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:06:10 PM EDT
[#5]
There is not a single good reason for buying new JD equipment.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Your 10 year old mower is 10 years old, huh?

I have an X300 and it's terrific, mows pretty fast and is maneuverable enough for me. 

Edit it's an X350
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:08:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Facepaml
View Quote

Well, lawn tractors are pretty much single use, and mostly junk.

A compact tractor will at least function as a tractor and hold up a few generations.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:09:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Your 10 year old mower is 10 years old, huh?

I have an X300 and it's terrific, mows pretty fast and is maneuverable enough for me. 
View Quote
It's so old I had to tell it twice
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:09:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a LA130 that I can't get the steering gear from stripping out. Not a fan.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:10:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A compact tractor will at least function as a tractor and hold up a few generations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Facepaml

Would you be mind blown if I told you I already had a small tractor which has exactly nothing to do with this thread?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1.  Love my 2210.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:11:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Get one a little nicer than the x300, mine is ok, but some of the other 3 series can have much nicer options and be a little heavier duty
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:12:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a LA130 that I can't get the steering gear from stripping out. Not a fan.
View Quote
Change the gear and the half pie plate together . The plate also has teeth that wear and many change the 10 dollar gear and wonder why it keeps getting ate up. 

BTW the S and X series uses much bulkier steering gears from what I have been told. I had to replace the plate and gear on 130 around the 7 year mark and both parts were like 50 bucks on Amazon.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:13:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get one a little nicer than the x300, mine is ok, but some of the other 3 series can have much nicer options and be a little heavier duty
View Quote
The 2017 one has a full digital display
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I wouldn't get anything smaller than an x500.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#16]
I edited my post I have an X350.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't even consider a lawn tractor.

ZTR. Much more enjoyable.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I edited my post I have an X350.
View Quote
The x330 is actually a little cheaper and has a bigger engine, I don't get it either.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I love my X570. comes with manual Locker in the back, just push big orange button and both wheels locked, Im surprised how often ive had to use this, esp on hilly terrain.

The only upgrade I did was to install LED lightbulbs. I pulled the deck for the winter and cleaned/painted it and had blades sharpened, This was the first year on this property and it had been neglected for years and years, so it was a rough year for the mower but it did great.

I mow about 6-7 acres.

In the picture below, it was the first time that field had been cut in probably 10 years, , it took awhile, going slow but I was able to cut it all down and now, I keep it cut 3-4"

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:30:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I love my X570. comes with manual Locker in the back, just push big orange button and both wheels locked, Im surprised how often ive had to use this, esp on hilly terrain.

The only upgrade I did was to install LED lightbulbs. I pulled the deck for the winter and cleaned/painted it and had blades sharpened, This was the first year on this property and it had been neglected for years and years, so it was a rough year for the mower but it did great.

I mow about 6-7 acres.

In the picture below, it was the first time that field had been cut in probably 10 years, , it took awhile, going slow but I was able to cut it all down and now, I keep it cut 3-4"
View Quote
What bulbs did you get? 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Mid 2000's LX289, GT, or GX series are still nice and hold their value well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:45:26 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I mow about 6-7 acres.

View Quote

10 years of no cutting = trees
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 3:57:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You want a K46 Diff? Check Husqvarna, Cub XT2, and then JD. When I was lawn tractor shopping last year, I really wanted to want a Deere but I just didn't see the value, so I bought the Husky GT52, and it's been great. The Hydro Gear "Fast" Differential moves the tractor at 7+ MPH and is rated for more torque than the TT K46.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#26]
LT155 here and pushing 20 years and yea will replace soon. The only advise I have is make sure it's a model made by JD, some cheaper ones aren't. Think the models you mention are made by JD

Also think my next one will have power steering.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:04:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I used to do a lot of acreage mowing (didn't apply for any of the federal jobs).

I don't have much experience with john deere but I will say this - if you mow any hills on that three acres that 42 inch deck on either option won't make incline mowing fun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
LT155 here and pushing 20 years and yea will replace soon. The only advise I have is make sure it's a model made by JD, some cheaper ones aren't. Think the models you mention are made by JD

Also think my next one will have power steering.
View Quote
The x series and s series are dealer only items and made by Deere and not like MTD. Power steering sounds fun. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to do a lot of acreage mowing (didn't apply for any of the federal jobs).

I don't have much experience with john deere but I will say this - if you mow any hills on that three acres that 42 inch deck on either option won't make incline mowing fun.
View Quote
Flat as a skinny girls chest 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You want a K46 Diff? Check Husqvarna, Cub XT2, and then JD. When I was lawn tractor shopping last year, I really wanted to want a Deere but I just didn't see the value, so I bought the Husky GT52, and it's been great. The Hydro Gear "Fast" Differential moves the tractor at 7+ MPH and is rated for more torque than the TT K46.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over a T40, sure do. 
Father in law got a Husqvarna, it was a piece of shit and besides I only buy Deere. 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:21:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Would you be mind blown if I told you I already had a small tractor which has exactly nothing to do with this thread?
View Quote

Sound like you should be finish mower shopping.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell no, that this is to loud and makes it hard to hear my earbuds while mowing slow 
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:35:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Find an old 455(diesel) or 445(injected gas).
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Over a T40, sure do. 
Father in law got a Husqvarna, it was a piece of shit and besides I only buy Deere. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Over a T40, sure do. 

What I meant was, look at other brands that offer the K46 differential, and then look at what you'll have to pay for a JD with a K46.  If you want Green, go for it. I just don't see the value unless you can find a good deal on used late model JD Compact or Garden tractor.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:39:56 PM EDT
[#35]
I have had an X534 for about 4 years now.  It has been problem free but it was also quite expensive.  It comes with 4 wheel power steering, power deck lift, and a differential lock.  I chose the 54" deck for it.  I "needed" the dif-lock for mowing on the side hills so i did not have to redistribute my weight to get traction.  I know nothing about the S series, but would not hesitate to buy an X series with the kawasaki engine.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#36]
I have the 2305 (stock photo)

Front loader, backhoe, 4' bush hog, underdeck mower, "Fransgard" timber winch, JD box rake, JD post hole drill, Landpride rockrake with scraper blade, Patu wood chipper and a 10KW generator.

Get a tool that does multi function!

We have 18 acres. Some pasture, some lawn, some woodland and several campsites in the works.
This puppy was 15K used & a couple years old. I had some of the attachments already. Sold some others as I didn't need 2 backhoes or 2 post hole drills. That took the edge off the 15K.

I live in eastern Maine so this is me snow removal tool as well as bringing in a wood box full and not having to lug it by the arm load up 5-6 steps to get it in the house..

Pay once, cry once, take care of it and it will take care of you.

Plus you can hire out and make some decent $$ in your spare time.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a X324, which has four-wheel steer and a 48" deck, that I bought new in 2009. My yard is barely 1/2 acre. All last season it was also used to cut my daughter's <2 acre yard, and total hours more than doubled over the previous 6 1/2 years. If I had 2-3 acres to cut regularly, I would not own anything smaller than the X500.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Parents have a John Deere 240 that is 25+ years old. I still mow with it, and my dad just can't let the thing go and uses it all the time. That said he bought a X590 in April, they live on 2 acres that is mostly flat but the mower does a great job.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:58:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I mow 3 acres in about 2 hours with an LX280, picked it up for $2k. 48" deck, plenty of power, east to work on. No complaints.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My  Deer D130 is 10 years old and it's time to upgrade and I'm currently looking at the S240 and X300. I own 10 acres but about 7 is woods so for the most part I mow around 3 give or take a little. I know the S series is fairly new and has some parts of the X series including the Kawasaki engine, K46 trans, and bulkier spindles. 

View Quote

Not really pertinant to OP's request but my old John Deere SB14 is the best mower I've ever owned.

Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Not really pertinant to OP's request but my old John Deere SB14 is the best mower I've ever owned.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Wvm7tJUzi7I/maxresdefault.jpg
View Quote
Uh.....I got nothing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top