Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/23/2016 12:29:47 PM EDT
Kids have been wanting a cat and the wife and I are considering it....however I have a 4 year old female boxer that I am not sure would agree.  I am not even sure she knows what a cat is.  I took her down to Petsmart to look at the rescue cats and she went a little ape over the full grown cat hissing at her but was very mellow looking at the kittens.  She sat and watch them through the glass.  

Can anyone provide their experiences with bringing a kitten into a dog only family?  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I would want the dog socialized with cats before I tried, or you are going to end up with that dog potentially shaking the cat to death and your kids watching...

Plus, in the store is very different from in the house that the dog "owns".

Boxers are great dogs but pretty high energy. Can't say that would give me a lot of confidence about the situation, it could easily hurt it on accident.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:32:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Only one way to find out, what’s the worse the can happen?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Just don't dump the cat in the house and assume everything will be fine.

Hold it, play with it, make the dog see it and he'll see it as part of the family.

Buuuut keep them relatively separate for a while.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#4]
If you're lucky, it will.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:34:56 PM EDT
[#5]
She'll be fine.  If she ever goes after it, you put her in her place.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
My money is on the cat
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:38:34 PM EDT
[#8]
My cat was 10wks old and no problems from my dogs they actually get beat up a lot by the cat
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:39:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My money is on the cat
View Quote

Yep. That dog won't even know what hit it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:41:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Only one way to find out, what’s the worse the can happen?
View Quote

This...Could make for LOLZ
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Our dogs did great with our rescue cat. Lab/pit and some kind of mutt. We put the cat in the guest bedroom for a few hours so the dogs could smell under the door, then brought them in one at a time to meet the cat. They play together and snuggle on the couch all the time now.

Actually the cat harasses the dogs more. He waits for them to come around a corner and ambushes them!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:43:51 PM EDT
[#12]
That dog looks friendly enough, cat would probably be fine. Find a way to socialize it with someone's cat before buying one though.

Attachment Attached File

My big dog loves cats and won't even chase them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#13]
i have 3 dogs and 3 cats.they all get along but the dogs all grew up around the cats.good luck .

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Our breed of peace mix was rescued as a puppy and has been around cats her entire life.  She's been great with them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
We brought a dog into our house with the cat. Cat hates the dog. The dog is totally petrified of the cat. Its pretty comical actually.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:46:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I have cats and a dog.

When my last dog died, the cat was about 7 or 8.  About a month later, I got a new dog from the pound.  I didn't know if he was OK with cats or not.  TBH, it didn't occur to me to wonder.  We never had an issue with them.

The cat died a couple years later.  I got two new cats (6mos. kittens,) from the pound and brought them home.  I put them in the back room, with the door closed.  They could sniff at each other from under the door.  After a day, I opened the door, and replaced it with a gate that the dog couldn't pass, but the cats could.  They could come out for introductions, and still get to a safe place if things got dicey.  Within 2 days, I realized the gate wasn't needed.

I've had at least three other dogs in the house that do not live with or near cats, and have never had an issue of fighting.  They get the hierarchy set pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:46:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I had an uncle who had a boxer and my cousin wanted a kitten.  They got her the cat and were afraid the boxer would eat it.  Instead the dog treated the cat like it was its puppy.  One of the funniest things I remember about visiting Mom's family was that boxer and how it treated that cat like the Warner Brothers cartoon about a bulldog/boxer taking car of a kitten.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Get a Savannah.  Problem solved.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#19]
If you add enough barbecue sauce on the cat, it might.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:52:00 PM EDT
[#20]
introduce the cat to the dog and give the dog a treat.
Keep doing this and the dog will associate being near the cat with getting treats.
The cat will soon be the dogs best friend.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:52:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Solid plan, she seems nice.  I assume she trains dogs or cats or something?  What kind of cat is that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:53:32 PM EDT
[#22]

I know both Holly and Dale (holly in that pic).

I've owned three of their cats.

A savannah is going to be way higher strung than any dog, lol.

Id personally start with a barn kitten, your dog will most likely adopt it as it's own.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:54:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Not necessarily.
I have a lady friend with a dog and four cats.
The cats take over his bed and he just puts up with it....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Solid plan, she seems nice.  I assume she trains dogs or cats or something?  What kind of cat is that?
View Quote

That's one of their older F5 Savannahs.  They breed Savannahs and...goats.  

Their sheep dogs and German shorthair are around cats all the time, and don't seem to mind.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#25]
completely depends on the dog and your family

how well behaved is your dog?    if your dog is a wild child more than likely the cat wont fair well

prey drive is not a indicator with dogs
our 3 dogs will run down squirrels and cats outside
2 inside cats and the dogs dont pay them any attention

always pay attention to your dog
if they get obsessed with the cat you need to remind them to knock it off
when the cat came home I just talked to our dogs
"leave that cat alone" "dont even look at that cat!"    its all in the tone
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:01:12 PM EDT
[#26]
My grandparents had 2 boxers that would kill anything that wasnt a dog except my grandpas chickens. Those that say a cat will hold its own have never seen a dog that wanted to do any more than play with the cat. Those dogs made quick work of anything sneaking around trying to snatch a chicken including some big wild tom cats.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:Kids want a cat.....Will my dog kill it?
View Quote

only if you are lucky.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Buy a male Maine coon cat.  My little guy is 9 months old and 12 pounds. His father is 22#s at a year and a half old. He has already chased dogs off of my property.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:05:58 PM EDT
[#29]
We're at the point in my house where the dog keeps trying to fuck the cat.

As in, proper fucked.

GSD/Golden mix with in-tact nuts @110# keeps pawing the cat to a spot between his front legs and starts on the humping.  He seems confused that his dick is about 18" away from the cat.  And that the cat is a male.

The cat just thinks the dog is playing with him, so he keeps running back to the dog.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#30]
There are so many different temperaments present in dogs that you cannot make general statements. You can speculate based on breed but even then there are still variations in temperaments within a breed.

It just depends on the individual dog.

My personal experience is that dogs do well with young, fearless kittens. The dog might be a little uncertain at first, but then the dog will readily accept them, play and protect. On the other hand, they will kill or injure a snotty, hissing older cat (or kitten) that lashes out at them.

With a lot of socialization I've seen a dog and snotty cat sort of get along, but the dogs have been very, very slow to give a snotty cat a second chance at being "friends" and I was always concerned the cat would end up dead.

I've never personally experienced it, but I've seen video where a cat was dominant in the household and the dog gave it lots of space.

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#31]
My Mom brought a cat home from school one day, and our dog was pretty friendly toward it. The cat barely tolerated the dog, but then again, he barely tolerated us as well.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:14:59 PM EDT
[#32]
We have a cat.  Rarely see the thing.  It hides upstairs.  Every now and then, I hear the dog getting after her, but she just has to jump up on something and is ok.  I think most cats will get away from aggressive dogs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#33]
OP, we recently got got a rescue dog.  FWIW, the dog and cat reached an understanding pretty quickly.  It worked out way better than I thought it would.  It might be different in your case, since the cat would be moving into the dog's turf.  Either way, the dog knows that you call the shots.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Shithead the cat and dumbass the dog get along fine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 1:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Yep. That dog won't even know what hit it.
View Quote

My cats lived with a pitbull for a few months. One swipe to its nose with their sharp claws showed who the dominant animals were
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for all the replies folks.  The boxer is pretty relaxed and I have not seen her go on the attack before with rabbits when she has come across them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My money is on the cat
View Quote

Mine too.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I LOL'd

Link Posted: 12/23/2016 4:55:52 PM EDT
[#39]
My English Bull terrier loves people, kids, animals. I've seen that dumb mfker sit in the middle of the back yard, surrounded by birds like fuking snow white, just staring at them maybe just a foot away.
But the second it sees a cat it becomes a heat seeking missile, open jaws and teeth ready to tear the poor cat to pieces.
Some dogs just hate cats. Some dont seem to care, others are even affraid of them.
FerFAL
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:14:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

My mom's 17lb cat needs extra big litter bin.  How big of one is needed for that?
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:34:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I had a male 5 year old Akita that killed two cats, one of them my neighbors. When I got married I had to train him to accept my wife's cat.

I'm sure this may upset some snowflakes but they have not owned a 125 lb Akita. I put the cat in a crate on the floor and every time the dog went to sniff the crate I would yell NO and smack the

back of his head. After he stopped going near the cat I would take his collar and pull him over to the crate and shake him by the neck and yell NO.

Pretty soon,he wanted nothing to do with that cat. When we decided to let the cat out of the crate we used a leash just in case. For a few weeks, whenever the cat walked into the room and the

dog got up, we would say his name firmly just to remind him.

This dog was a known cat killer. Training should be easier with other dogs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:38:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My mom's 17lb cat needs extra big litter bin.  How big of one is needed for that?
View Quote

Just cut down one of those gigantic Rubbermaid tubs.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#43]
We have two cats and one dog. The dog was first then my wife adopted two rescues maybe two months apart. The first rescue cat will beat the shit out of the dog if he gets too close and will randomly attack the dog for no reason. The other cat and the dog are best friends.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
My cat was 10wks old and no problems from my dogs they actually get beat up a lot by the cat
View Quote

When my cat (now 12) moved in as a small kitten in college (found her outside) she ended up running the show vs the dogs.

Dogs quickly learn that razor paws are no joke.

Miss Cleo owns the house and all people / animals.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:45:25 PM EDT
[#45]
My mom and dad had boxers and they got along famously with the cats that hung around the house.  If there was a problem, it was always with a cat that didn't like getting its butt sniffed.

ETA:  I had a border collie growing up and it got along with OUR cats and the cats that hung around (a farmhouse).  The neighbor cat however decided to pay a visit and my dig saw it from about 50 yards and bolted faster than I've ever seen a dog move.  In one motion he scooped the cat up sideways and snapped its neck in an instant then dropped it and came right back.  Was a real eye opener.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:47:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Introduce them carefully of course, but most of the time dogs and cats coexist nicely, especially single dogs.  I wouldn't be surprised if they actually end up bonding... bigger dogs often seem to be drawn to kittens.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#47]
After many attempts through trial and error I have learned it's better to hold the dog than the cat when you are introducing them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:09:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Just happened to me 5 minutes ago.  We had to put one dog down a couple weeks ago.  My wife has been wanting a cat for a while.  I got home from 10 hours of OT at work to a note that she went to the shelter to adopt a cat since.  

We still have a 4 year old Doberman, but we had a cat till he was 2.  This'll make Christmas even more of a pain in the ass than usual.  I almost hope he eats the fucker.  I'll report back with any fatalities.

On a side note, I'm not really a cat person, but I do get along with them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#49]
If it does, can I  hire your dog?

Fucking cat...
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a boxer that was raised with my kitten.  They were best friends and played fuck fuck games on the daily.  However the cat is a fucking devil.  This shit head goes into the trash and pulls shit out to eat, ripped open beef jerky packs from the top of the fridge, and eats weird human food like tortilla chips, peanut butter pretzels, grilled onions, crackers, cheez itz, gold fish, and much more.

Do not get a cat, my boxer ruined him.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top