Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:52:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have to be a grade A cunt to tell some guys in kayaks they can't fish "your" side of the river.
View Quote
There may be a reason for his cunty-ness, such as obnoxious city folk cutting across his property to get to the river, or stopping on his bank to take a dump or leave their trash, or just deciding to pull out and camp there without his permission.  I would bet all three have happened at least once to this guy.

Everyone is tolerant of seemingly "innocent" behavior until it happens on their property.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:54:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are rainbow trout doing in hot ass Georgia?
View Quote

North Georgia Appalachian mountains.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've caught some gorgeous 20+ inchers around Helen. I highly recommend Unicoi Outfitters if you'd like to try fly fishing for 'em.

One thing I found about GA is that most of the good fishing is in privately owned waters.
View Quote
That's why it's good fishing:  It's not open to every Orvis clone who shows up, ignores take limits and size restrictions, and doesn't know how to release a fish without causing harm.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

what your missing

the term "navigable stream" means a stream which is capable of transporting boats loaded with freight in the regular course of trade either for the whole or a part of the year. (quoted from Hattari's post above)
View Quote

Here in Oregon, it also includes rivers and streams that you were able to float timber down, even if you had to wait for the waters to rise in the winter.

A lot of mills were built right on the river, and the logs were floated to them rather than hauled by truck.

Log drivers back in those days must have been absolutely crazy!

Attachment Attached File

One last note... I think our waterway rights extend to the high water mark, not low water, iirc.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Screen name?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:15:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I own some land that has 1800 feet on the Dan River. It would never occur to me to yell at someone on the river. I believe the survey shows the bank as the property line. Never really gave it much thought. Mike
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lot's of trout in the mountains, Ted Turner owns a big stretch of river N of here and they zealously keep people away because he has huuuuge trout there.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

100%

There's a dispute about this going on in Virginia right now. In Virginia you can can float and generally get out of your boat as long as you don't leave the shore. No one owns the river bottom. The exception is some of the ancient King's grant land, which may grant control over the river.

I understand it may be the same in Louisiana.

Here in Florida you can wade and do whatever. The exception as I understand it is man-made canals which may belong wholly to an HOA.
View Quote

Man made canals can belong to an adjoining land owner, an HOA, or even the developer who developed the neighborhood.

There is some submerged land in Florida that was severed from state ownership despite having been sovereign, and there is some Spanish land grants that include submerged lands.

We are a hotbed of this type of issue, particularly in and around St Augustine
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
I am aware of both parties in this dispute. I think fishing guy is legally wrong here, but that doesn't mean the law is right or good. In cases where the law is wrong and bad, I tend to ignore it.

They posted the flint when some big landowner bought both sides for shoal bass fishery. It's kind of a mess. I don't want shot at, so I avoid it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I fish for smallmouth out of Kayaks religiously...Tournaments and open fishing days all the time.

Never had anyone harass me for fishing their docks.
In fact last summer had a guy on the far side of the lake start yelling at me about something so I paddled over. He asked what I was fishing for and then freaked out telling me the smallies spawn under his deck. He literally told me I HAD to see if I could catch a few underneath his feet, boat and dock...
I did, released them as well and the dude was tickled. Yelled for me to have a great day waving as he walked back up to his house.

Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on the state.

MT land ownership is only to the high water mark.

CO land ownership extends to riverbed, you can float and fish, but can't anchor.

I pissed off a trout ranch on the Rio Grand River in CO. I caught a fish while floating, but with rapids coming up I needed time to deal with the fish before I went through the rapids. I put my foot down to deal with the fish and some due on a side by side and gun came out of no where. Threw fish back and floated on down.

In MT I'd tell him to fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Was Deliverence filmed in Georgia? Just saying!
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't care about state laws, low tide level A ok as far as I'm concerned, unless I'm drowning and need immediate relief.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
In MN, there is no claim on fish, but you can't go up to the shore (75?') and just drop anchor and fish.

I know the first 50' from shore is considered private, but all boats who are in distress can pull up and seek help. Even private Marina's have to provide access in an emergency.

But, that was a bit of a shitshow ... The land owner was obviously trying to get their attention.

We had to deal with idiots using our dock and handed their lic number to the dnr and LEO. (Of course the LEO being a dipstick had no clue what to do). DNR sent a warning and never saw the tresspassers again.
View Quote

That's not the case. You can fish right up to the shore, just cannot land on the shore. And do not touch a private dock, as that would be trespassing.  All surface water in MN is considered public property as long as there is public access.

A lot of lake associations have their own BS rules as well as most of those lakes do not have public access and they have their special HOA style rules. And the first 25' of land from shore is controlled by the DNR. They have height and setback rule and laws. Not all lake or rivers are the same, if there is no public access you just need written permission from a lake shore lot to access the lake. And You can only build on 25% of the lot size for lakeshore lots.

I grew up on WBL and learned all about it as my dad still lives on the lake and now my brother and I manage the property. If you want to so much as plant a new tree within 25' of the shore you need to get a permit through the DNR.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/waters/watermgmt_section/shoreland/property-owners.html#:~:text=The%20state%20shoreland%20rules%20establish%20that%20all%20structures%20in%20residential,height%20allowed%20on%20your%20property

As noted above, ALL surface water is open for public use as long as there is public access.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a slew of youtube videos of fishermen being hassled by folks for fishing docks, canals, etc.. by douchbag homeowners that think they own the world.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 11:59:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

@CDPhD

There are a few videos on YouTube of just that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes for a fun conversation at private marinas.

Marina - "You're on private property!"

Boater - "No - I'm on public water."

Marina - "This is a private marina.  I'm calling the cops!"

Boater - "Please do!"

@CDPhD

The videos of kids getting screamed at for shore fishing in a HOA behind their house always gets me.

There is a video out there of a guy taking golf balls and hitting in their direction pissed me off.

Not the video I was thinking about, but here is a guy getting golf balls lobbed at him.

Almost HIT BY GOLF BALL While Fishing
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This from the state that tried to steal our delicious Tennessee water. Jackasses.
View Quote
And our Choo Choo.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
An employee of mine wrote watershed management law in North GA up until 18 months ago. That’s his area,

The land owner owns half the river (if property line) or all of it if it goes through his.

Kayaker was trespassing.
View Quote

Most landowners own land to the middle of roads on their border but you are not trespassing by travelling on that road. Hopefully someone will find that SCOTUS case about navigability that was previously mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:19:51 AM EDT
[#20]
In NH, all streams belong to the state.   You can fish any brook anywhere as long as you remain in the stream (standing or floating) and not on the land.   Land has to be posted every 200' to keep you off the land, either to or from the water.
Some landowners are just dicks.   Some hunters and fishermen are also dicks and brought things on everyone with their poor behavior.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:34:29 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:01:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mostly just waiting to die, they half survive in the mountains, but only a few places have successful reproduction in the wild. Guess I'm half glad they keep stocking them since they're tasty, but isn't the most successful program. Supposedly even if temperature isn't a problem, there isn't enough calcium in the water due the whole clay thing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:02:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What kind of miserable asshole would live along a river and spend his time yelling at people floating down the river?  

View Quote

There's a youtube channel dealing with motorized bicycles, and the guy has a video where (if my memory isn't off) a woman gets onto him for riding on a dirt road that happens to run behind her backyard.  The woman doesn't want anyone passing behind her place, so she hoses that section of the dirt road down to make it muddy, thinking it will convince people to stop using that road, but it probably makes it more attractive to some people (and makes more noise for her, when they power through the mud).

Crazy people (at least some of them) like to tell other people what they can and cannot do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:19:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
River laws are fucked up.  About 10 years ago I was duck hunting out of a boat on the Ohio river with some friends.  Farmer walks down to the bank and tells us we can't hunt there and to get off his land.  We yelled back you don't own this river and he leaves, about an hour later he comes back with a game warden.  Game warden tells us the farmer owns the bottom of the river, to the state line close to the Ohio bank and to pull up our anchor and decoys.  He said we can float hunt but can't anchor.  He also said if the river floods and rise into his fields we could hunt those fields as long as we are floating along with the river.  That surprised the fuck out me.
View Quote

From what I've heard, that's how Tennessee Wildlife Resources views it.  Floating through private property is OK, but touching the bank or bottom can be considered trespassing, if the property owner doesn't want you there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:23:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Most landowners own land to the middle of roads on their border but you are not trespassing by travelling on that road. Hopefully someone will find that SCOTUS case about navigability that was previously mentioned.
View Quote
The only road I have ever owned to the middle was a private driveway that part of my land and part of the neighbor's were given to provide an easement for access to a landlocked property. I have never owned to the middle of a public road.

Its actually always been the opposite, at least for me. I have owned to the road, but the town or county has a five or ten foot easement for utilities or maintenance purposes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:28:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

b. The rights of the owner of lands which are adjacent to navigable streams extend to the low-water mark in the bed of the stream.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2020/title-44/chapter-8/section-44-8-5/
View Quote

How many streams have a low and high tide water level?
Streams are fed by surface runoff and springs, neither of which would result in high or low tides. Around here many "streams" run entirely dry in the summer
Named " Creeks" in my area on the other hand flow year round; which is ironic, given that "creek" is more synonymous to "stream" in volume of water flow  than to "river".
Maybe people in some parts of the country are calling a "river" which flows into the ocean and so has a low or high tide a "stream".
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:31:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In Georgia the landowner owns the fishing and hunting rights including in rivers and creeks that are non navigable. Non navigable means it couldn’t support commercial trade back in the 1800’s

Multiple Georgia Supreme Court cases on this.
View Quote

Sounds like something that's ripe for an updating, given the relatively small draft of small pleasure boats, kayaks etc that would make a lot of waterways a "navigable" body of water with no commercial application.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:31:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@CDPhD

View Quote

Not surprising.  One guy I worked with is a big bass fisherman (large and smallmouth).  He will hit some of the empty slips and walls by the marinas in Erie, making sure to avoid occupied spots and boat traffic.  It's about 50/50 that someone yells at him, and threatens to call cops (he's actually a cop, himself).

I get that they're paying to be there, and it probably weird to have random people pull up and fish, but they're paying to dock and use the clubhouse.  It's like the people who complain when someone parks on the public street in "their" spot in front of their house.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:31:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Ohio- Can float but can’t touch bottom or banks.
View Quote

We need that changed IMO.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:35:30 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL water laws are COC.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:52:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Been there, done that.  Had a landowner come out with a rifle, then had the local Sheriff waiting for me at the take out on public land.  He had his deputy Barney threaten us for about 10 minutes, including basically saying they did not want to follow the State law, it was their county.  I happened to be kayaking with an assistant State AG, he kept a copy of the State Attorney Generals ruling on the topic in his car.  We knew the worse that would happen is we would get locked up for a few hours.  There was at least a question to the streams navigability - but it was well within the limits that day of what the state defined as navigable (streams do not need to be navigable every day, what matters is the cut bank).  One thing on our side is mineral royalty laws in Texas.  The state owns the mineral rights within the cut bank.  They can not keep us out without giving up millions in royalty income.  The stream we were on was only navigable a few weeks every few years.  But the cut bank was definitely present.

So we went out of our way to obey every fucking letter of the law.  We were assaulted with a deadly weapon and harassed by the county sheriff.  He got to tell the land owner he was on his side - to make sure he would get the votes in the next election.  Meanwhile I was well aware his district attorney had gotten a nice slap down from the state about 2 weeks earlier over this same bullshit.  Damn the rains made for a great spring of paddling that year.

Another trip - different river, different county.  We had the county judge taking photo's of us with a huge ass telephoto lens so he could be using it as evidence.  That trip I was paddling with one of the local State game wardens.  He warned us the judge was an asshole, to not get out of our kayaks within sight of the judges house, not to touch the bank, etc...  None of which was law - we could have gotten out, walked on the bank, etc... under the Texas law regarding the right of downstream passage.  We could have walking in the stream as well, as landowners in that part of the state don't own the land under the water.  It was just easier to slide by while knowing the fuck did not care about the law - because he believed he was the law.  At least he did not pull a rifle on us.  Once again, the problem was the river in front of his house, while probably there most of the time, was not always deep enough to paddle.  It was possibly the most beautiful place I ever paddled (and why the game warden asked to do the trip with us.  There was an issue with legal access - we got around that by putting in at the game warden's house. Most any other paddler would have had to trespass access that river (and the judge would have had his case).  FWIW this was the Blanco River (a popular river in Texas)

That said, also had a rifle pulled on me while I was fishing from a boat.  Sure I was fishing near the bank - that is where the fish were.  But I was not within 1/2 mile of any man made structure on that bank.  I was not even tied up to the bank or anchored by it.  Bastard just thought he owned the whole GD river.  At least on this one there was no question that was not true, as I was in a fucking lake and used a public boat ramp about 1/2 mile away to gain access.  Sadly, the land owner happened to have a pasture next to one of the best fishing spots - so I guess he got a LOT of boat traffic.  I miss that spot - but the damn blew and it is now dry.  FWIW, this was the Guadalupe River (a major recreational river in Texas, I suspect it gets more traffic than any other river-due to tubing).
---
Texas law defines navigable waterways based on the width of the cut bank.  It is absurdly small amount - 50' I think.  Cut banks are often hundreds of feet away from where the water level is.  That said, we have 2 different rules depending on the dead of the property.  If the property was deeded before Texas Independence - we have have one set of laws IIRC Spanish Land Grant laws - you can float because the state owns the water, but can not touch the banks or the bottom - this consists of a very small number of waterways (I think less than 1/2 dozen, and I can only think of one offhand that people paddle - the Devils River (abet it is supposed to be one of the most beautiful paddles in the state), mostly in western Texas.  The rest of the state, the land under the water and within the cut bank is ok to walk on (it is kind of state property that the land owner has an easement to).  Sucks some for land owners, but that law is probably 150 years old.

Paddling the Devils River is a royal pain in the ass - and I have never really attempted it.  The state has a park on both sides of the part paddled, but one of them is not open to the public.  You have request permission, and a park officer will unlock the gates and escort you to the water.  I think as part of the permission, you have to prove you have access to either private property, or the Nature Conservancies camp site (it is a 2 day paddle).  I suspect they also have a usage limit in issuing the permits both at the parks and at the Nature Conservancy site.  Then you can take out as usual at the end.  I suspect the land owners are informed of every group that legally launches - so they not only will report illegal groups, but make sure you don't even step foot out of your boat to take a piss.  Added to the fun, you better make sure the water levels are high enough that you NEVER have to portage.

Link Posted: 2/19/2023 1:55:27 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The only road I have ever owned to the middle was a private driveway that part of my land and part of the neighbor's were given to provide an easement for access to a landlocked property. I have never owned to the middle of a public road.

Its actually always been the opposite, at least for me. I have owned to the road, but the town or county has a five or ten foot easement for utilities or maintenance purposes.
View Quote

Note the term "easement". that is your land but they have legal access.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:34:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My point was that, in my experiences, I have always owned up to the middle of a privately owned road, but only to the edge of a public road. I am guessing that ownership concerning roads can vary as greatly as waterways.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#35]
In Michigan it’s the high water mark, which means you can walk all the way around a lake along the beach or along a river. It’s nice. Most property owners know that, but naturally you get the rare guy like the cranks in this video.  

There’s an old guy up on Elk Lake that spends all summer yelling at everyone that walks by, even if they are in the water and 10 feet out from the beach. He’s had the le explained to him countless times so he obviously knows, but he persists. Who knew how many thousands of people he has wasted time yelling at. Crazy. A few years back as were transiting by on foot in the water we came across a bunch of broken glass in the water in front of his place - we’re pretty sure he’s tossing broken bottles out there. Stunningly gorgeous lake and the guy is tossing broken glass into it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:26:56 AM EDT
[#36]
There was some crazy lady who yelled at some guy fishing near her dock in Sebastion.  They made it a event.

Joyces dock

Fish Joyce's dock event

Joyce's Dock Inaugural Fishing Tournament by Drone!! Fishing Joyce's Dock
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:37:58 AM EDT
[#37]
I had a moron yelling at me because I was fishing his shoreline. I’m in a boat on a public lake.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#38]
A few years ago, a landowner in Missouri got in to a fight with floaters on the Meramec.  Landowner pulled out a gun and shot one dead on the gravel bar.  Around here people go on "float trips" and get absolutely shit hammered, leave trash and shit all over peoples property.  Where the floating occurs is very rural.  Every weekend in the summer, thousands of Citiots flock there and have little respect for the land/river.  

https://fox2now.com/news/one-dead-following-float-trip-fight/
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 10:55:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
There was some crazy lady who yelled at some guy fishing near her dock in Sebastion.  They made it a event.

Joyces dock

Fish Joyce's dock event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clI2EoHrjDA
View Quote

That is too funny!  I couldn't imagine getting upset at people paddling or boating or fishing along my land.  People are insane.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:24:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
A few years ago, a landowner in Missouri got in to a fight with floaters on the Meramec.  Landowner pulled out a gun and shot one dead on the gravel bar.  Around here people go on "float trips" and get absolutely shit hammered, leave trash and shit all over peoples property.  Where the floating occurs is very rural.  Every weekend in the summer, thousands of Citiots flock there and have little respect for the land/river.  

https://fox2now.com/news/one-dead-following-float-trip-fight/
View Quote

Around here on our local river, there are several places that historically have allowed access for kayakers, fishermen and boaters.

But, what usually happens is, bubba bass boaters and partiers think that "access" means "I can do as I please" and do as you said...leave trash everywhere and mess up the place.

Then, the people who allowed access just to be a good neighbor have to shut it down because people are morons.

I never understood the mentality of, "I'm on someone else's property; let's trash it."
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This here river don't go nowhere near Aintry.

Fuck the commercial cargo boat only law. In Texas, if you can float on it, its navagable. River tubing, canoing and kayaking is big business here.

I was even told there is like a ten foot public easment on the shoreline on lakes and rivers.  That doesn't mean getting on a private shoreline and playing Beach Blanket Bingo or even fishing but more if you're in a boat and break down or have an emergency you can get on land.
View Quote

In Texas the river or creek has to be officially “deemed navigable”, not just meet the definition of average 30 feet between banks. A ton of creeks meet this definition but haven’t been officially studied by the state, therefore it can be considered private property until that happens, so it’s a grey area that can only be settled in court basically, in the meantime it can erupt to a battle than neither side needs to engage in, best handled amicably.

To complicate matters the Spanish land grants considered waterways private which the state going back to the Republic recognized. These videos are usually people looking for a fight for more views. I don’t agree with the a hole landowners harassing sportsman and people enjoying nature, but there are also a lot of asswipes who trash up a river and try to sue landowners if they slip and fall on the banks.

My thought is creeks and rivers are a life source and something humans and all animals are attracted to, if you don’t like people coming and going, don’t own land on a popular waterway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:39:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Used to deal with crazy fucks like that in FL fishing canals around docks. Homeowners losing this shit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 11:55:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I wonder what is considered the low water mark? Could a GA landowner say: "We had a two year drought in 1967-68...the river was a trickle down the center...that is the low water mark." or is low water where the river's edge is at that time?  Still confusing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2020 Georgia Code
Title 44 - Property
Chapter 8 - Water Rights
§ 44-8-5. Rights of Adjoining Landowners in Navigable Streams

a. Universal Citation: GA Code § 44-8-5 (2020)
As used in this chapter, the term "navigable stream" means a stream which is capable of transporting boats loaded with freight in the regular course of trade either for the whole or a part of the year. The mere rafting of timber or the transporting of wood in small boats shall not make a stream navigable.

b. The rights of the owner of lands which are adjacent to navigable streams extend to the low-water mark in the bed of the stream.

https://law.justia.com/codes/georgia/2020/title-44/chapter-8/section-44-8-5/

I wonder what is considered the low water mark? Could a GA landowner say: "We had a two year drought in 1967-68...the river was a trickle down the center...that is the low water mark." or is low water where the river's edge is at that time?  Still confusing.

The low water mark is measured in "normal/average" conditions - the real catch here is what is considered navigable.  It could be interpreted that the small boat clause above would means that the stream is not navigable as far as public usage goes; this is one of those cases where a lot of legal and historical background research comes in handy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:00:34 PM EDT
[#44]
JFC OP, put the timestamp of the yelling in the first post.  I am not watching some dude fish for two hours.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:30:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Watcher this video today. This is a pretty calm levelheaded guy i follow. Good kayak fishing channel, BTW

Anyway, this guy is visiting a buddy in N GA. They do a kayak fishing float down some river. Halfway through the trip a landowner yells at them. He informs them that they cannot fish on his half of this river...it's his. He keeps on apparenty, then this Youtuber gets pissed and yells back.

At the end, this Youtuber said he studied on the law and suspects that he may have been in the wrong. The landowner might have had the right to run him off. I seem to recall we had a thread on this subject a few years back.

I walked away from that discussion thinking most of all rivers and creeks, even branches in the US are public access. Some states have rules about bank access, but if you are in the water, you are not tresspassing. Now I'm wondering if Georgia has different rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LtgQK6JbE
View Quote

Landowner sounds like a yankee.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Joyces dock

Fish Joyce's dock event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clI2EoHrjDA
View Quote

Every year there are some lakefront property owners who call DEC upset that duck hunters can set up on their boats  right outside the callers houses and blast away as long as they're shooting out over the water
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:12:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

In Texas the river or creek has to be officially “deemed navigable”, not just meet the definition of average 30 feet between banks. A ton of creeks meet this definition but haven’t been officially studied by the state, therefore it can be considered private property until that happens, so it’s a grey area that can only be settled in court basically, in the meantime it can erupt to a battle than neither side needs to engage in, best handled amicably.

To complicate matters the Spanish land grants considered waterways private which the state going back to the Republic recognized. These videos are usually people looking for a fight for more views. I don’t agree with the a hole landowners harassing sportsman and people enjoying nature, but there are also a lot of asswipes who trash up a river and try to sue landowners if they slip and fall on the banks.

My thought is creeks and rivers are a life source and something humans and all animals are attracted to, if you don’t like people coming and going, don’t own land on a popular waterway.
View Quote

Those people exist everywhere. Both here and back in Alaska you can hike into some spot with minimal foot traffic and there will be trash there. Some people truly don't care. What sucks here is that it got a lot of our shooting areas shut down.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Watcher this video today. This is a pretty calm levelheaded guy i follow. Good kayak fishing channel, BTW

Anyway, this guy is visiting a buddy in N GA. They do a kayak fishing float down some river. Halfway through the trip a landowner yells at them. He informs them that they cannot fish on his half of this river...it's his. He keeps on apparenty, then this Youtuber gets pissed and yells back.

At the end, this Youtuber said he studied on the law and suspects that he may have been in the wrong. The landowner might have had the right to run him off. I seem to recall we had a thread on this subject a few years back.

I walked away from that discussion thinking most of all rivers and creeks, even branches in the US are public access. Some states have rules about bank access, but if you are in the water, you are not tresspassing. Now I'm wondering if Georgia has different rules?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2LtgQK6JbE
View Quote

Yeah, it's fucked up here. Landowner owns to the middle of the stream, and it's tied to whether of not it is a "navigable" stream - a nebulous definition. This is common all over GA, even on big rivers like the Flint (an excellent shoal bass fishery). If you get out of the craft onto the shoal rocks, you can be charged with trespassing and fined, and many have. On world-class trout streams like the Soque, almost all of the river is private, and they get pretty dang ornery about it. I fish a lot, but I don't really care about trout, and only go to the Flint maybe once or twice a year. I have a COE permit to carry on all COE impoundments and waters of both the Mobile and Savannah districts. I keep a shorty on the big boat, and am never without a handgun in the small ones. I avoid confrontation, but I am prepared for the worst. People are the worst.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

This is what the you tuber is missing.
I own both side of a stream and a river and I cannot stop people from duck hunting through my property.
They can't  trespass on my land but they can float through.

Been that way for ever here.
Been over it with game wardens a few times.
View Quote

People seem to get confused about that.

You own the river bed....but not the river or what's floating in it.

There's a section of river that I hunt where I have to take a dog when we float it, because legally I can't get out of the boat except to portage, if a duck sails onto the bank I can't retrieve it myself.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top