Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2024 11:33:45 PM EDT

https://x.com/hogrbe/status/1816817509519036590

The ESA' Solar Orbiter observed a massive solar flare from the farside of the sun on July 23rd, making it the largest flare recorded by SolO. This flare was classified as an X14, surpassing previous large flares from May 2024 (X12) and July 2023 (X10), all of which occurred on the sun's farside.

In contrast, the largest Earthside flare reached X8.9 on May 14, 2024. The X14 flare ejected a massive CME into space, impacting the entire solar system and Earth itself was hit by 'hard' protons (E > 100 MeV) despite being on the opposite side of the sun.

SolO was directly hit by the CME on July 24th, experiencing a dramatic increase in particle counts due to an "Energetic Storm Particle" event. Such events are known to cause significant disruptions, similar to the March 1989 event that led to the Great Quebec Blackout.

The source of this flare will rotate to face Earth within a week to ten days.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:38:32 PM EDT
[#1]
That's a biggun
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Does this mean the rain will stop in Houston?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:41:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm... might be one way to prevent another round of corrupt/hacked digital voting systems.

P.S. I'd better load a bunch of paper in the laser printer and start printing off Arf threads while there's still time!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope Ann Margaret comes!
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:43:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hope Ann Margaret comes!
View Quote
Who just signed their own death warrant!?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Honestly, this is all we care about down here.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
How big was the Carrington Event (X class rating)?  I tried to look it up and could not find an answer.

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:45:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How big was the Carrington Event (X class rating)?  I tried to look it up and could not find an answer.

View Quote

"From this analysis, they deduced that the SXR classification of the Carrington flare was no less than ~X15 and more likely ~X42 (based on Greenwich (Kew)"

https://www.swsc-journal.org/articles/swsc/pdf/2013/01/swsc130015.pdf

Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:50:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"From this analysis, they deduced that the SXR classification of the Carrington flare was no less than ~X15 and more likely ~X42 (based on Greenwich (Kew)"

https://www.swsc-journal.org/articles/swsc/pdf/2013/01/swsc130015.pdf

View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
[Moving to its own comment.]

It looks like there have been solar flare impacts much bigger than the Carrington Event.  

https://knowablemagazine.org/content/article/physical-world/2021/understanding-just-how-big-solar-flares-can-get

They say that activity from the sun has been at a low recently.

The change in carbon-14 levels recorded in 775 was about 20 times larger than the normal ebb and flow from the sun, researchers reported in 2012.

“The clear suggestion there was that super events could happen, because this was a factor of 10 — if it was a solar flare — a factor of 10 or 20 or more greater than the Carrington Event,” Hudson says.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#12]
So nothing will happen again?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:51:29 PM EDT
[#13]
More Northern (hemisphere) Lights?
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:53:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Spicy. I’m 1000 miles away from home in my wife’s 100% digital dependent car. Hopefully we’re not eaten alive
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The Carrington Event was an X45, but not a Miyake Event. If this solar flare was a firecracker, the Carrington Event was a stick of Dynamite, the largest Miyake Events found through carbon dating would be Tsar Bombas. Events that turned the entire Earth’s sky blood red for weeks and were written off as myth/lore just decades ago.

The largest Miyake Event found through carbon dating closely aligns with the Younger Dryas theory that something reset the world 10-12,000 years ago.
Link Posted: 7/26/2024 11:58:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
More Northern (hemisphere) Lights?
View Quote

Equatorial lights!
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Man, and I gotta be at 430 for 8 hrs. Glad I had the kids. Sorry to my future 2 headed offspring
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#19]
There's a YouTube channel called SuspiciousObservers and he has a channel on X called SpaceWeatherNews. Ben is his name.

Has usually 2 shows a day on YT, short and to the point. Very informative.

Probably a member here by the way he talks sometimes.

He's  predicting some rough times ahead for us.

Especially with Earth's weakening magnetic field.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's a YouTube channel called SuspiciousObservers and he has a channel on X called SpaceWeatherNews. Ben is his name.

Has usually 2 shows a day on YT, short and to the point. Very informative.

Probably a member here by the way he talks sometimes.

He's  predicting some rough times ahead for us.

Especially with Earth's weakening magnetic field.
View Quote

He's also gotten rich off his channel and has started something similar to a cult where he is the king.
I doubt he's a member and don't trust him either way. Nothing good can come from watching that guy, imo.

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 12:18:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Is there any relationship between large solar flares and the micro-novas which now seem to be a possibility in the semi near future?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:23:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Was it caused by CrowdStrike?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:27:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

He's also gotten rich off his channel and has started something similar to a cult where he is the king.
I doubt he's a member and don't trust him either way. Nothing good can come from watching that guy, imo.

View Quote

Well when you have 750k subscribers I can see the possibility of getting rich, good for him. I for one don't buy products or do patreon to any of them. Has far has have a cult following or king that the first I have heard of it. He does strike me as being self centered though.

He has mentioned being able to defend yourself and being armed. And seams to have  the prepper mentality.  And when haft of his video's have the UN label stating that humans are the cause of climate change,  he might be haftway right.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
So nothing will happen again?
View Quote

Solar flares are controlled by a Republican committee.

So yes.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

There's a lot of speculation on that one depending on the data source. https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.3847/2041-8213/acd853

That link shows estimates of X45, X64, and X80. So way, way bigger than this flare was.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Carrington went deep into the Z class.
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:43:48 AM EDT
[#28]
How much is this the republicans' fault and how can be pay more taxes to make this threat go away?

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Is this the reason the bands suck right now?
Link Posted: 7/27/2024 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#30]
There's research connecting ancient paintings with auroral activity----Characteristics for the Occurrence of a High-Current, Z-Pinch Aurora as Recorded in Antiquity by Anthony L. Peratt

Quoted:
The Carrington Event was an X45, but not a Miyake Event. If this solar flare was a firecracker, the Carrington Event was a stick of Dynamite, the largest Miyake Events found through carbon dating would be Tsar Bombas. Events that turned the entire Earth’s sky blood red for weeks and were written off as myth/lore just decades ago.

The largest Miyake Event found through carbon dating closely aligns with the Younger Dryas theory that something reset the world 10-12,000 years ago.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/27/2024 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#31]

Fascinating article.   Thank you for sharing that
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Well when you have 750k subscribers I can see the possibility of getting rich, good for him. I for one don't buy products or do patreon to any of them. Has far has have a cult following or king that the first I have heard of it. He does strike me as being self centered though.

He has mentioned being able to defend yourself and being armed. And seams to have  the prepper mentality.  And when haft of his video's have the UN label stating that humans are the cause of climate change,  he might be haftway right.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Rocketman1976
I think he's starting a commune in Arizona or New Mexico. Vetted people pay to buy a piece of property to survive the pole shift.
Yes, he is King.

Sorry for the thread hijack
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

20s is the estimate iirc.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 8:58:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@Rocketman1976
I think he's starting a commune in Arizona or New Mexico. Vetted people pay to buy a piece of property to survive the pole shift.
Yes, he is King.

Sorry for the thread hijack
View Quote

I will have to keep an eye out for information about that, thanks.

In other news we are expecting to get hit here in the next day or two by some solar activity.
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:15:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:20:45 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Carrington Event?
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:24:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Missed it by | | that much!
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:29:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:41:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I hope so, I’m tired of it
Link Posted: 7/28/2024 9:42:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It makes not difference. We are in a degraded magnetic field, relatively small events will impact us much worse than the Carrington event did. The earths magnetic field is only about 20% of the strength of what it was during the carrington event. Typically when earths magnetic field drops to about 5% of normal we normal experience a pole shift or flip event. We seem to be headed towards one.  So it would only take an event that is relatively smaller than the Carrington event to cause some crazy shit to happen. Often referred to as a kill shot. X14 may have been close in the current state of our magnetic fields.

To put that is perspective, the event on the far side on the 24th caused all kinds of radio blackouts here on earth. HF radio propagation was so bad. I checked the SWPC and the proton flux was not elevated. It messed with our ionosphere pretty bad even though it was pointed away from us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top