Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 7:56:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By chase45:
Weldy welds

I'm pretty happy with how they turned out

View Quote

Well it is definitely better than v1!  Great job!

Don't forget you can set up a jig to run your cup against if you want arrow straight welds.  Might be handy for the sight base and rail, the highly visible weld.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By BigPolska:

Yes... all those parts

You will need a flat 
Way to bend a flat
A 300 blk barrel from rcm
A way to press a barrel from and into a trunnion 
A parts kit to salvage a trunnion, recoil spring, sight parts, furniture and cocking assembly etc
A 300 blk locking piece
A semi auto trigger group 
Semi auto denials to weld to your flat
A welder
A bushing and lever mag release
A jig to get the mag release in the right spot
A way to park the finished gun
Etc etc etc
View Quote

Yep pretty much this
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]

Well it is definitely better than v1!  Great job!

Don't forget you can set up a jig to run your cup against if you want arrow straight welds.  Might be handy for the sight base and rail, the highly visible weld.
View Quote

Yeah I'm going to practice some dry runs on the rear sight weld later

Lmao it sucks because I had fitting the cocking tube to the receiver so tightly. Then when I welded the trunion in the fit went all to hell. I didn't think about the heat from welding in the trunion opening up that area I just got done fitting

But yes much better than version one which is all we are after. With any luck it should mostly be done today. Waiting for the rail from hk parts still
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Subscribed for awesomeness
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Roughly how much do the parts cost and how do you bend the flat? Is everything readily available?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:36:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By UndrGrndPrdcts:
Roughly how much do the parts cost and how do you bend the flat? Is everything readily available?
View Quote

Depending on how many deals you find probably around 1500.

You use a jig and some sort of press.  Anything can bend metal, the trick is to get it to bend properly.   Some  home made rigs work awesome,  others ruin flats.  A factory jig is around 300
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 3:40:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Depending on how many deals you find probably around 1500.

You use a jig and some sort of press.  Anything can bend metal, the trick is to get it to bend properly.   Some  home made rigs work awesome,  others ruin flats.  A factory jig is around 300
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Roughly how much do the parts cost and how do you bend the flat? Is everything readily available?

You use a jig and some sort of press.  Anything can bend metal, the trick is to get it to bend properly.   Some  home made rigs work awesome,  others ruin flats.  A factory jig is around 300

If a person wants to build only 1 HK the should just buy a pre rolled receiver.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Welp its official I've discovered i made an error

Oops. Bolt gap grows with the support in vs out

That means I set the cocking tube gap up wrong. I thought something was off with the contour not lining up with the tube and the receiver. However its only off a few thousandth vs how much the picture shows

So the options are to cut the tube off and reweld in the proper location

Or

Grind on the cocking tube support.

Grindy grind it is. I'm gunna throw in some negative rollers and grind it until there's not a difference in bolt gap and then replace the negative rollers for standard. That should create a good enough gap while not messing with the camming action

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I would trim the cocking support. Is the same item as the g3 or is it different? The g3 part is cheap if you change your mind.
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By jtstalker:
I would trim the cocking support. Is the same item as the g3 or is it different? The g3 part is cheap if you change your mind.
View Quote

Yep i took a little off of it and all is well now

Its done just waiting for the top rail... and a new front sight as I also broke that getting it back on

I swear hkparts should send me a Christmas card every year
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Heres some more glory pics while we wait for the rest of the parts to show up

Perfect nope

Much better, for the most part yep.

I think Im gunna go hit the spot welds on the trunion one more time just to make sure I got enough penetration on the welds

Other than the top rail and the new front sight. She be done.

Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Rowr!
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#15]
I really hate that I broke the front sight.

I have a new one ordered but man with as slow as everyone is shipping now a days I probably wont get to blasty blast this thing this weekend
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#17]

Just got mine about done. Inspired by your thread. .300 blk and plenty of headaches along the way. Just baked on some caliper paint for now, but will parkerize and KG gunkote once I am sure I don’t have to tear into it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 9:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By struckzb:
https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/rr64/struckzb/619C4615_30AB_4541_8AC3_1DC4121A1E67.jpeg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds

Just got mine about done. Inspired by your thread. .300 blk and plenty of headaches along the way. Just baked on some caliper paint for now, but will parkerize and KG gunkote once I am sure I don’t have to tear into it.
View Quote

Well damn yours looks really nice man great job

Mine doesn't look that good
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/7/2020 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#20]
I knew this would be a Chase45 thread before clicking, and that I would be jealous and impressed.

Looking forward to the final product!

ETA it looks done?
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:31:14 AM EDT
[#21]
https://i.imgur.com/x16ZGbr.jpg
View Quote

Looks good!
Link Posted: 5/8/2020 9:47:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PraesidiumFabrica:
I knew this would be a Chase45 thread before clicking, and that I would be jealous and impressed.

Looking forward to the final product!

ETA it looks done?
View Quote

Ha yep mainly done

Now just another weekish on the form 1 coming back as long as the monthish timeline is holding true
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Right on, man!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheYellowThing:

Right on, man!
View Quote

If all goes as planned it gets the sbr treatment in a few weeks
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Looks good chase!
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 5:59:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks my dudes. As long as the test fire goes well it'll get paint next week and be finished for now.

I set the bolt gap down a little just to play with it and see how it reacts with supers and subs

So my old one developed slight dimples in the receiver. This was due to there being no buffer in either the carrier or the brace.

To prevent this it had to get the sbr treatment. Itll get a collapsible with the proper buffer to ensure longevity. So I probably won't shoot it a ton until I get the permission slip back from the ATF so I can keep it buffered correctly

But I can't really resist so I'm probably going to go throw some subs tonight or tmw
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 6:03:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Looks sweet. Are you going to paint it HK black or something else? Also any idea what suppressor you're going to put on it? It's got the trilug after all.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:03:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:
Looks sweet. Are you going to paint it HK black or something else? Also any idea what suppressor you're going to put on it? It's got the trilug after all.
View Quote

Semi gloss spray paint. It actually matches my K pretty good which is my only factory clone

I use a 45 can on a tri lug. It sounds pretty good with some water

I've been thinking about getting a dedicated can however. Just not sure what I want. Some of the rifle cans I've tried on others 300 guns had a ton of port pop. The 45 can with water conversely has no port pop and rivals my SD in suppression until the water burns off and it gets slight more loud downrange. Honestly I'm impressed with how well the 45 can does.

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:17:35 PM EDT
[#30]
The Omega 9k and the Wolfman are both 300blk compatible, I think
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:22:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By YaBoyKGTho:
The Omega 9k and the Wolfman are both 300blk compatible, I think
View Quote

The wolfman is on my want list. I want two new cans here sometime in the coming months

I was debating between a omega9k or a 30 cal rifle can.

I actually got to play and shoot the omega 9k on a rattler today. It was good for the size. Its tiny. I'm however thinking I want a larger can for more suppression.
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Do an A3 imo

Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:38:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Anytime now and I have one to plop on for the correct buffered goodness
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 10:47:41 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Sometimes we score an awesome deal on an MP5/10 kit with receiver & barrel for 750$
Link Posted: 5/9/2020 11:55:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

The wolfman is on my want list. I want two new cans here sometime in the coming months

I was debating between a omega9k or a 30 cal rifle can.

I actually got to play and shoot the omega 9k on a rattler today. It was good for the size. Its tiny. I'm however thinking I want a larger can for more suppression.
View Quote

I've thought about building a 300blk 53 since your last thread.   Apinned and welded form1 can to avoid SBR headaches is what I want to do.  

Only so many hours in the week unfortunately.  Once I get my lathe and mill installed and powered....
Link Posted: 5/10/2020 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Looks good chase!
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2020 1:05:42 AM EDT
[#37]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgwlower:
Looks good chase!

Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:02:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Welp it runs supers fine at a .015/.016 bolt gap but not my current load of subs

With regular rollers the bolt gap is about at .021/.022 but it runs subs fine then
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:11:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Sometimes we score an awesome deal on an MP5/10 kit with receiver & barrel for 750$ 
View Quote

Every so often I get the urge to build a 10, then I price out the kits and give up. Probably a better idea to cut my teeth on a cheap CETME kit I guess but damn...a 10 would be cool.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By BASE:

Every so often I get the urge to build a 10, then I price out the kits and give up. Probably a better idea to cut my teeth on a cheap CETME kit I guess but damn...a 10 would be cool.
View Quote

Id be all over a MP5/10/40 if I could get a barrel either in 9x25mm Dillon or .357 Sig

Alas I cannot get a barrel in either
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 11:58:12 AM EDT
[#41]

Id be all over a MP5/10/40 if I could get a barrel either in 9x25mm Dillon or .357 Sig

Alas I cannot get a barrel in either 
View Quote

I haven't shopped around for barrel blanks in those calibers. I'm not sure how I'd get the little MP5 grooves into a bottle necked chamber but I'm pretty sure I could at least turn a blank to fit.
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:11:29 PM EDT
[#42]

I haven't shopped around for barrel blanks in those calibers. I'm not sure how I'd get the little MP5 grooves into a bottle necked chamber but I'm pretty sure I could at least turn a blank to fit.
View All Quotes

Id be all over a MP5/10/40 if I could get a barrel either in 9x25mm Dillon or .357 Sig

I haven't shopped around for barrel blanks in those calibers. I'm not sure how I'd get the little MP5 grooves into a bottle necked chamber but I'm pretty sure I could at least turn a blank to fit.

38 super would be cool
FBI had some Thompsons in that at one time
Link Posted: 5/11/2020 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

Try Paladin Machine in SC and ask.  You'd have to ship them a blank and a bolt.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#44]
Painted it last night

Just waiting for it to dry

Its lookin pretty nice if I do say so myself
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:18:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Did you shoot it the other night?
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:21:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By WrightP:
Did you shoot it the other night?
View Quote

Yep I had been messing with the bolt gap a bit to see what it would do

Its at .021 which is just slightly 'out of spec' but it will run subs without issues, and of course no problems with supers

I had dropped it down to about .015 to see how it would do and the subs wouldn't run with my can.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rsolomon:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161977/3cb7m7_jpg-1389636.JPG

LOL
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#48]
All finished up

Now just waiting for the stamp to throw on the real collapsible

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Looks great.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#50]
FANTASTIC.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top