User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:11:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LOL.... no.

Rampant alcoholism, drug abuse, rape (incest), infidelity, domestic violence, etc all happened. There is a reason why Prohibition and Big Government Nanny Statism was born at the end of the Wild West and gained full traction as those children of that era became the majority of voters during the early 1900s and solidifying their power in the 1920s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The books were written by Laura Ingalls (and possibly her daughter) about her childhood and growing up as a pioneer settler.

I think most God fearing pioneer families were probably pretty wholesome when compared to today's family. They didn't have as much to get into trouble with.

I can watch the show in small doses. I don't think I'd want to binge it.
LOL.... no.

Rampant alcoholism, drug abuse, rape (incest), infidelity, domestic violence, etc all happened. There is a reason why Prohibition and Big Government Nanny Statism was born at the end of the Wild West and gained full traction as those children of that era became the majority of voters during the early 1900s and solidifying their power in the 1920s.

Well thanks for bursting my lovely bubble.  

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Grandpa Walton was a fooking communist. [Will Geer]

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Oh it was wonderful. Every week a story about a child being crushed under a wagon wheel, losing their dog to rabies, going deaf or blind. Quality family entertainment.
View Quote

You left out drug addiction...do you even Albert, bro?
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You should have seen it as it originally aired in 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAb0CG1LT4
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same thing with The Andy Griffith show.

You should have seen it as it originally aired in 1960

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQAb0CG1LT4

I thought this was it

Peaches - Fuck the Pain Away
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:32:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The books were written by Laura Ingalls (and possibly her daughter) about her childhood and growing up as a pioneer settler.

I think most God fearing pioneer families were probably pretty wholesome when compared to today's family. They didn't have as much to get into trouble with.

LOL.... no.

I would love to see his data points. I realize that TV isn't truth. But "rampant" is a general term. People WERE more moral and God fearing then.

Having standards that censored sex and drugs from widespread TV isn't a bad thing. Having these things shown to children at ages they can not properly understand will lead to confusion and psychological issues.

Miami JBT always seems to have an axe to grind on certain things.

To make a dtat point on moral people.... there was a study that found during WWI, there was zero increase in prostitution profits or visits in Paris, even though many of allies would visit or billeted there before moving to the front.

But, in WWII, Paris prostitution exploded after it was re-taken by the allies.

I am sure there are other factors and reasons to be extrapolated from that data point.

But, removing the fear of God and morality will always change a society. It has nothing to do with "free speech".
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.... no.

The truth sucks... drug abuse was rampant... opium dens, laudanum, snuff boxes with cocaine, etc.... the anti-druggers and prohibitionists took power because of the issues it caused. Not counting thr poverty, diseases, etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 10:55:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Great show.  We have several seasons on DVD, but no longer have a DVD player.  I'm sure it's on one of the streaming services...

eta:  It's on Prime.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:25:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Many a young adult has rubbed one out thinking about Mary
View Quote

Nellie Olson...
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You had a maybe two or more generations at the time the show came out that actually lived that type of life in America when they were younger.  My grandmother was born in 1894 in Virginia. My my mother was born in 1927 in a one room shack with a dirt floor in West Virginia.  They loved that show when it originally ran because that was the life they lived.  You had most of the South in the mid 70s being only one generation with electricity and running water.
View Quote

this.

My grandfathers parents lived on a homestead is kalama.  The shanty house my great grandfather built there has been added onto and improved for the last who knows how many decades now, still standing today.

My mom has memories playing in that house, which was so modern by then it had sheets of linoleum laid on the floor (not glued down). One would get too messed up, they'd just throw another sheet down.  Cushy floor.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#10]
First two seasons were gold!
After that not so much.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#11]
There was something going on, maybe as others have suggested "a yearning for a simpler time" you had shows like little house on the prarie, the Waltons, a few years earlier the Rifleman and Gunsmoke, Bonanza, etc. As well as movies like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Jeremiah Johnson, the 70's Clint Eastwood Westerns. Idk if it was because of the bicentennial, or because TV was relatively new and Westerns hadn't been played out yet, but people definitely were obsessed with the Wild West, and Pioneer Eras.

My dad has 2 of the build your own black powder kit rifles (I am pretty sure they're 70's CVA kits) that he bought and built at the time. One is smaller caliber I think it is a .45cal and long, and the other is a .50cal Hawken lookalike, the Hawken copy is shorter in length like a mountain rifle. He did 209 primer conversions on both of them.

I hated Little House on the Prairie, when I was home sick from school and it came on I would nap or watch one of the Ron Popeil infomercials instead.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#12]
FPNI

Most shows are shit now
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Liked the show, but got tired of that blind girl crap. Poor dad was so stressed he got brain cancer.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:53:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Nellie Oleson was the reason I watched as a kid…bad girls,
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:53:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I grew up watching it, it was one of the first foreign TV shows we had.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
There was something going on, maybe as others have suggested "a yearning for a simpler time" you had shows like little house on the prarie, the Waltons, a few years earlier the Rifleman and Gunsmoke, Bonanza, etc. As well as movies like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Jeremiah Johnson, the 70's Clint Eastwood Westerns. Idk if it was because of the bicentennial, or because TV was relatively new and Westerns hadn't been played out yet, but people definitely were obsessed with the Wild West, and Pioneer Eras.

My dad has 2 of the build your own black powder kit rifles (I am pretty sure they're 70's CVA kits) that he bought and built at the time. One is smaller caliber I think it is a .45cal and long, and the other is a .50cal Hawken lookalike, the Hawken copy is shorter in length like a mountain rifle. He did 209 primer conversions on both of them.

I hated Little House on the Prairie, when I was home sick from school and it came on I would nap or watch one of the Ron Popeil infomercials instead.
View Quote
Westerners were relatively cheap to produce compared to other programs.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh it was wonderful. Every week a story about a child being crushed under a wagon wheel, losing their dog to rabies, going deaf or blind. Quality family entertainment.
View Quote

Could have been worse.

It didn’t have Arthur Carlson fixing Laura’s bike while making eyes at her friend Dudley’s ass.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 2:09:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

And rape.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget drug addiction, they had that in there as well.

And cholera.

And rape.
Mrs Ingalls had gangrene in one episode and was getting ready to amputate her own leg iirc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Grew up watching LHotP and The Waltons, but haven't seen either since watching them in the 70s and early 80s.

I do recall enjoying both, but for whatever reason, although I can remember some scenes from LHotP (though not episodes), I can't recall ANYTHING from The Waltons except for them saying goodnight to each other.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 3:56:27 PM EDT
[#22]
When Pa was running freight, they always made it seem Mankato was just one town over. Let alone Sleepy Eye.

I also grew up not all that far from "The Little House in the Woods" where it all began.

Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:23:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Same thing with The Andy Griffith show.
View Quote
I prefer that my kids don't watch the Andy Griffith show as he typically uses lies and deception to trick and influence those around him to do what he wants them to do.

The kiddos love Little House, Little Men, etc.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:25:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quality entertainment full of life lessons. You are a better person for watching, understanding, and putting into practice those lessons.
View Quote
What is it about GD and FPNI!?
Well done @Tech-Com
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You had a maybe two or more generations at the time the show came out that actually lived that type of life in America when they were younger.  My grandmother was born in 1894 in Virginia. My my mother was born in 1927 in a one room shack with a dirt floor in West Virginia.  They loved that show when it originally ran because that was the life they lived.  You had most of the South in the mid 70s being only one generation with electricity and running water.
View Quote
I was thinking this too.

When I was young there were a lot of 50s eta shows or movies. Now there are 80s.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I was born in the 80’s. I have no idea.
View Quote

I was born in the 70's.  There wasn't shit to watch on TV back then.  People had low expectations.  Looking back on some of the shows I used to watch...
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top