Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks midcap, I work in the Oil & Gas industry (well on the cleanup side), but haven't been down there in a year so. I know the area and always love working with the people there. Damn shame a company as big as Seacor can't rent out some hotel rooms or a camp(s) for the families.

From what I've read, the divers were contracted by the CG, which I thought was unusual, since Government typically wants the RP to step in first. Certainly they have to have salvor on contract, and certainly could have signed one if not.

It's almost as if Seacor was hesitant or the CG thought they would better handle it. I do know divers would have been on scene days ago if not for the weather.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I would like to add, since this is like in my back yard....that's a lot of local charities are looking for help to feed, take care of, house those families who loved ones are still missing.

As of last night...Seacor has not done shit for any of those poor people. That's pathetic.

Thanks midcap, I work in the Oil & Gas industry (well on the cleanup side), but haven't been down there in a year so. I know the area and always love working with the people there. Damn shame a company as big as Seacor can't rent out some hotel rooms or a camp(s) for the families.

From what I've read, the divers were contracted by the CG, which I thought was unusual, since Government typically wants the RP to step in first. Certainly they have to have salvor on contract, and certainly could have signed one if not.

It's almost as if Seacor was hesitant or the CG thought they would better handle it. I do know divers would have been on scene days ago if not for the weather.

No problem....@LARifleman is also a good resource for info too in the area.

But yep Seacor in the last few years has had some internal shit going on and their management is ruthless. So I have no idea why they aren't helping out.

I am also sure the big maritime layers are licking their chops at the momment
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Geez, I don't know how I missed that this had happened.  Hoping for a positive outcome
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:23:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

But yep Seacor in the last few years has had some internal shit going on and their management is ruthless. So I have no idea why they aren't helping out.

View Quote

Of that I have no doubt. Maritime Law is a funny business. Nola.com has another article on how much Seacor has lost in recent years, and yes speculation on how they plan to limit liability.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 1:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Of that I have no doubt. Maritime Law is a funny business. Nola.com has another article on how much Seacor has lost in recent years, and yes speculation on how they plan to limit liability.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ohhh big time, not to mention that, they had to acquire a partner of theirs in a JV, that loss their ass and went pretty much tits up.

So there ass is in a real crack. But due to the Jones Act, the attorneys are going in dry and there ain't shit Seacor can do about it. So, I just don't see why they don't do the right thing.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:18:52 PM EDT
[#5]
NOLA.COM - 2nd Crew Member Found Dead

Second Crew Member found deceased. They found the second deceased crew member in the water, not inside. Still no word on what the entry operations have found.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 3:32:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

As of last night...Seacor has not done shit for any of those poor people. That's pathetic.
View Quote

It seems that most of the large OSV companies are run by uncaring assholes who don’t give a shit about their employees. All the care about is paying the minimum possible to get their boats crewed up. A friend works for one of the major companies and they haven’t offered even a 401k match in years.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 4:10:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It seems that most of the large OSV companies are run by uncaring assholes who don’t give a shit about their employees. All the care about is paying the minimum possible to get their boats crewed up. A friend works for one of the major companies and they haven’t offered even a 401k match in years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn that sucks...most of the folks I know that have boat companies are good folk, but there are smaller companies.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#8]
it's always tough hearing about ships lost at sea, when I'm fishing off shore it's not uncommon to hear distress calls and CG interaction as they work whatever the problem is. The last time it happened the only signal I could receive was the CG, whoever they were talking to was too far out of range for me to hear the responses. It was an MMSI distress call from a vessel that did not respond when hailed, the CG was talking to craft in the area trying to triangulate a location. Since the distress call was out of my VHF range my plotter didn't mark the location as it would have had I received the call, nothing I could do and I don't know the outcome, hopefully a false alarm/error.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#9]
wife just told me divers found two perished in the engine room. Seacor is paying for the divers, so it appears that they are starting to step up
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 12:54:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
wife just told me divers found two perished in the engine room. Seacor is paying for the divers, so it appears that they are starting to step up
View Quote

Damn... She was right. It's been reported now. Damn damn damn. Glad to hear Seacor is fronting that bill for the divers now.

RIP Sailors...
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:49:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Reports of a 5th body being recovered in the Gulf now.

As this thing goes on, I fear that the number of deceased will only continue to grow.

The weather has finally started to clear, but a week of relentless rain and storms were hell on the rescue efforts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:51:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Never heard of a jack boat before.  What are they used for... besides jacking?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's got a crane and a helicopter pad on it. Support for oil rigs?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Reports of a 5th body being recovered in the Gulf now.

As this thing goes on, I fear that the number of deceased will only continue to grow.

The weather has finally started to clear, but a week of relentless rain and storms were hell on the rescue efforts.
View Quote

I hate to be negative, but anyone else that is not recovered by now has probably perished.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a jack of all trades .
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct. They go out to the shallow water rigs and spud down. Then they provide a stable offshore platform to work on the rigs.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

I see what you did there.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I hate to be negative, but anyone else that is not recovered by now has probably perished.
View Quote

No doubt.

And it's damn cruel for local news to give false hope by repeatedly saying there may be an air pocket and they could be alive inside. I sincerely hope the CG was honest with those poor families.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:41:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No doubt.

And it's damn cruel for local news to give false hope by repeatedly saying there may be an air pocket and they could be alive inside. I sincerely hope the CG was honest with those poor families.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No doubt.

Yeah they are doing a disservce.

If there were an air pocket, when the divers banged on the hull they would have banged back, you can clearly heard sounds under water like that.

There are also idiots running their mouth on FB about why it's taking them so long to get to the boat and why they couldn't go diving that day.

JFC, the common person doesn't understand how just plain difficult this situation is.

Basically cave diving, in a washing machine.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:58:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Just saw on WWL that the CG is suspending search operations at sunset today.

Hopefully divers will recover the rest of the crew soon.

Sad situation.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Sad situation.
View Quote

Was just coming to post that update. Sad day indeed. Fair winds and following seas to those sailors.

What an all around tragic event, that was completely avoidable.

It will be interesting to read the full reports.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Was just coming to post that update. Sad day indeed. Fair winds and following seas to those sailors.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad situation.

Yep....what I really don't understand was that the weather was definitely going to be shitty. No doubt, and they left the doc only a few hours. The Ironic part is that the weather was hitting SeaCors office before they left. Who ever was the port captain of that Lift Boat should have known prior to the boat leaving that the weather was going to be that awful.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I wonder if they could have dropped the legs a bit to give them stability.  Though it would probably create more drag than the engines could handle.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wonder if they could have dropped the legs a bit to give them stability.  Though it would probably create more drag than the engines could handle.
View Quote

It was probably too rough at the time and if they would have tried to spud down they would have probably broken the big Karl Senner gears and/or engines and transmissions.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Early Speculation is that may have been what caused it. The vessel would have already been unstable due to the sea state. Drop a leg and it's like a tire blowing out at 80MPH, it probably was the tipping point as the center of gravity would have shifted immediately.

The CG utilized about every resource it had, plus state assets, plus a ton of Good Samaritans. In all the official search patters covered 9,200 Sq Miles, which is a little bit smaller then the state of New Hampshire.

Rescue assets involved in the search:

The pre-commissioned Coast Guard Cutter Glen Harris crew
  Coast Guard Cutter Amberjack crew
  Coast Guard Cutter Moray crew
  Coast Guard Cutter Benjamin Dailey crew
  Coast Guard Air Station New Orleans MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew
  Coast Guard Station Grand Isle 45-foot RB-M boatcrews
  Coast Guard Station New Orleans 45-foot RB-M boatcrews
  Coast Guard Air Station Corpus Christi HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crews
  Two Coast Guard Aviation Training Center MobileHC-144 Ocean Sentry airplanes crews
  Two Coast Guard Air Station Clearwater HC-130 Hercules airplane crews
  Two Coast Guard Aviation Training Center Mobile MH-60 Jayhawk helicopters
  Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries crews
  Port Fourchon Harbor Patrol
  Port Fourchon Sherriff’s Department
  Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office
  One commercial air medical service crew
  Donjon Marine commercial divers
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:24:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It was probably too rough at the time and if they would have tried to spud down they would have probably broken the big Karl Senner gears and/or engines and transmissions.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Looks like that may have been the case:

John Gellert, president and CEO of Seacor Marine Holdings Inc., was asked why the vessel was moving in bad weather. He said the decision was ultimately up to the captain, who he described as a veteran mariner with five decades of experience.

He also said that it appeared that a leg of the vessel was partially retracted, which suggested that the captain had been trying to lower the legs of the vessel as the storm arrived in order to put it in its more stable position as a platform above the water.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_f79d2c12-a139-11eb-8edf-c79eb06dc653.html

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:47:48 PM EDT
[#27]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like that may have been the case:

John Gellert, president and CEO of Seacor Marine Holdings Inc., was asked why the vessel was moving in bad weather. He said the decision was ultimately up to the captain, who he described as a veteran mariner with five decades of experience.

He also said that it appeared that a leg of the vessel was partially retracted, which suggested that the captain had been trying to lower the legs of the vessel as the storm arrived in order to put it in its more stable position as a platform above the water.

https://www.nola.com/news/article_f79d2c12-a139-11eb-8edf-c79eb06dc653.html

The Captains are in a catch 22 though.

If they stay and the weather wasn't bad, they costs the company money, if they go out and the weather is too bad and capsize they costs the company money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

If they stay and the weather wasn't bad, they costs the company money, if they go out and the weather is too bad and capsize they costs the company money.
View Quote

Oh absolutely, i only quoted the the multiple lines just to give reference to where the information about the spuds was coming from.

Talos, the customer, has already stated loud and clear that Seacor made the decision for the vessel to depart, and that the decision was Seacor's alone. Now Seacor is distancing itself and laying fault at the captains feet, who will never be able to explain the reasoning from his point of view. Just a shitty situation all around.

Ir's 2021 and we still have corporate environments where risk based decision making isn't captured by all parties. Everyone is afraid to call stop work when it matters. It's going to cost Seacor a lot more now then a delayed departure, even if it would have been for more then a day or four; and it cost the Captain everything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 6:18:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s almost verbatim what every former PHI helicopter pilot has told me. Crazy stories.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Oh absolutely, i only quoted the the multiple lines just to give reference to where the information about the spuds was coming from.

Talos, the customer, has already stated loud and clear that Seacor made the decision for the vessel to depart, and that the decision was Seacor's alone. Now Seacor is distancing itself and laying fault at the captains feet, who will never be able to explain the reasoning from his point of view. Just a shitty situation all around.

Ir's 2021 and we still have corporate environments where risk based decision making isn't captured by all parties. Everyone is afraid to call stop work when it matters. It's going to cost Seacor a lot more now then a delayed departure, even if it would have been for more then a day or four; and it cost the Captain everything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep and another thing too, if captain didn't die with the ship and survived you bet your ass he would be charged with somthing and the coast guard would be all over his ass. Magically someone would testify that they told capt to stay in port.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

That’s almost verbatim what every former PHI helicopter pilot has told me. Crazy stories.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same reasons behind the Deep water horizon spill. Don't want to inspect the BOV because it would costs money...that and BP is one of the most pants on head retarded company when it comes to procedure.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:11:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

They do look like they would be easy to tip over in rough seas.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're incredibly unseaworthy. I think anything over like a 3-4' wave and they have to jack up and wait out the surf.

They do look like they would be easy to tip over in rough seas.

Question, wouldn't they gain a shit ton of stability even in deep water just dropping the legs to lower the center of gravity, almost like keel weights, as well as lowering the center of gravity of the superstructure?

ETA: Answered above.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#33]
However, had he been able to successfully dangle the legs in time, would that have made it stable?
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 9:34:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
However, had he been able to successfully dangle the legs in time, would that have made it stable?
View Quote

Possibly, But even spudded down, I do not believe they are designed to be in the hurricane force conditions they found themselves in.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Years back the saying was “fly and die, with PHI”
Them yellow birds rattle my windows from dust till dawn every day.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

damn
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:28:39 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Same reasons behind the Deep water horizon spill. Don't want to inspect the BOV because it would costs money...that and BP is one of the most pants on head retarded company when it comes to procedure.
View Quote

I don't know where you came up with this. Although I do not hold BP in high regard, the failure of the BOP to perform has been well understood for a decade now and this is not it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't know where you came up with this. Although I do not hold BP in high regard, the failure of the BOP to perform has been well understood for a decade now and this is not it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used the wrong words, and I have to talk to my guy that was on the actual platform when it blew up but it was definitely management that caused the issue.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:14:38 PM EDT
[#39]
I’m on the downstream side of the oil industry and though safety is preached daily, there’s no shortage of management willing to roll the dice to save time and money.  Most of the time they get lucky.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:21:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Small companies too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#41]
I read they recovered another body.

This may be hearsay but they just have the galley left to search?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:48:00 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

They did recover another body. I'm not sure what was left to search, but I did read that they expect to be through with searching today. Which either means the rest made it out somewhere and just haven't been found, it's not safe to continue searching other areas, or the body count is about to jump significantly.

Salvage plans have to be in the works, and that is going to be quite the job, as I imagine they'll want to bring her up whole if possible.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:32:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

They did recover another body. I'm not sure what was left to search, but I did read that they expect to be through with searching today. Which either means the rest made it out somewhere and just haven't been found, it's not safe to continue searching other areas, or the body count is about to jump significantly.

Salvage plans have to be in the works, and that is going to be quite the job, as I imagine they'll want to bring her up whole if possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully all those families will have closure.

As far as salvage, yeah I would think they are going to get a huge derrick barge with a crane out there.

I know there are a few companies in the area that have that type of equipment. I know Mcdermott had em, Mammoet, Manson Gulf etc.

It's gonna be a feat though, you have those tall ass legs to deal with. I don't know maybe they cut the legs off or just try to right the hull with the legs on and hope it doesn't flip over the other way.

I am not aware if even the hull has rigging points to hook onto.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:46:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Trust me, they can make the rigging. Whatever they do, it will be slow.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:20:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Hopefully all those families will have closure.

As far as salvage, yeah I would think they are going to get a huge derrick barge with a crane out there.

I know there are a few companies in the area that have that type of equipment. I know Mcdermott had em, Mammoet, Manson Gulf etc.

It's gonna be a feat though, you have those tall ass legs to deal with. I don't know maybe they cut the legs off or just try to right the hull with the legs on and hope it doesn't flip over the other way.

View Quote

Step 1 would be to empty the vessel’s fuel & lube oil tanks. Likely another L/B and OSV for that operation (similar to the DB1 when it sank off the coast of Cameron, LA). After that then welding lifting points & removing the L/B. I don’t imagine that they would be too keen on removing any of the legs as they might be providing support to the Seacor Power so it doesn’t capsize further.

A long and drawn out process for sure.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:30:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Trust me, they can make the rigging. Whatever they do, it will be slow.
View Quote

Quoted:

Step 1 would be to empty the vessel’s fuel & lube oil tanks. Likely another L/B and OSV for that operation (similar to the DB1 when it sank off the coast of Cameron, LA). After that then welding lifting points & removing the L/B. I don’t imagine that they would be too keen on removing any of the legs as they might be providing support to the Seacor Power so it doesn’t capsize further.

A long and drawn out process for sure.  
View Quote

yep this is gonna take a while to salvage
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Supposedly DonJon’s Atlantic Salvor is going to tow the derrick barge Chesapeake 1000 down from New York to do the salvage but they haven’t left NY harbor yet.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Supposedly DonJon’s Atlantic Salvor is going to tow the derrick barge Chesapeake 1000 down from New York to do the salvage but they haven’t left NY harbor yet.
View Quote

That's a pretty hefty gal

http://www.donjon.com/ches1000.htm

How long is that gonna take though....2 weeks to get down here?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:54:33 PM EDT
[#49]
Dam..

I use to work on the Aries Marine Ram I and Ram X

Just west of there around Timbalier Island during the BP soill.

Hard to believe that it was due to bad weather because for the months that I was out there we seen it all. Water spouts 90 mph winds and 10'+  waves all from when the hurricane came through that hit Texas.

When you go to move the ship you have to lift each leg up in series and often it will flood the deck and pull the ship under and everyone in on upper decks outside when the op takes place.

Rough seas don't matter because you just lift the whole ship up higher than the waves.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#50]
If my wife calls, I was amongst the dead.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top