Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might as well build a new bunker. Why the hell did the government demo them if they were going to sell them?
View Quote
Someone still bought it...lol
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:16:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
wasn't some company making them into survival condos or something?
View Quote
Yes.

I'd love to have one but it's stupid expensive and impractical.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Spends all that money on a missile silo and can't afford a crane. The thread title is also misleading, it states he opened it but he doesn't.  
View Quote
That's in Part Two, which is the link shown at the end of the video.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#4]
If water got in there once..... it's getting in again.   You can bank on it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm a bit surprised you guys didn't link to this video. :-)

Dressing Tactically.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:31:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would love to have something like that. but not something that floods.

like this yeas. IIRC they paid about $200k for this place. that's fucking awesome.

This 44,000 square-foot underground bunker, is secreted within Bare Mountain, in the rolling hills next to Hampshire College. It was built in 1957 as a backup command and control center by the Strategic Air Command (SAC), which operated a bomber base nearby in Westover. The three story building features a self-contained water supply and electrical generation system, a cavernous "war room" with a glassed-in balcony, and accommodations for up to 300 people. In 1971, as SAC centralized its command centers in Nebraska and Colorado, the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston moved in and used it as an emergency back-up facility, and for records storage, along with New England Telephone and the New York Federal Reserve. The bunker was put up for sale for $250,000 in 1992, and was bought by nearby Amherst College, which has used it as a book depository and archival storage facility since 1994. In addition, Mount Holyoke, University of Massachusetts at Amherst, Smith College, and Hampshire College, collectively lease 10,000 square feet of storage space from Amherst College, in order to store less frequently used items from their respective libraries.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/92687/5663321780_d913771482_o-528128.JPG
View Quote
This is for sale.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Dressing Tactically.
View Quote
Tier 1
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I dont know why anyone would do this --even if you get it all dug out you have a 1950-60's era subterranean govt building that is probably full of lead asbestos and all sorts of nasty shit nobody wants. For all the effort and work you could build a brand new one for less and it would be nicer.
Your not going to find a surprise forgotten spare warhead.
And when the guy running the excavator is lifting the giant govt chunk of concrete out of the hole --shut the f up, he knows what hes doing leave him alone, last thing he needs is you spewing you ignorant cranial diarrhea  all over the place.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#9]
needs more OSHA
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Dressing Tactically.
View Quote
@BunnySlippers

Your silo?

If so, you should do an AMA thread here.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#11]
That is an awesome channel name.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:51:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm not so convinced that it wouldn't be easier and cheaper to dig a hole next to it and start fresh.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah... its my silo. I haven't spent much time on this forum so I don't know what the rules are. If you guys want an AMA or something I'm good with that. Let me know.

GT
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Been following his channel since the beginning. He's not a billionaire. He makes good money but it's been a slow process of him doing work as he gets the funds.

ETA: Hey GT ^!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Might as well build a new bunker. Why the hell did the government demo them if they were going to sell them?
View Quote
Probably a requirement of a nuclear missile reduction treaty.

At one point there were restrictions on converting old nuclear missiles to launch payloads.   I don't have any more on that issue.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:07:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
EXACTLY.  "SALT" requirements stated that deactivated missle silos must be destroyed and rendered incapable of being easily reactivated.   However, totally removing a launch complex with a missle tube that is 150 feet deep is problematic, so most just had the surface stuff removed and backfilled.

The only surviving Titan launch site is in Green Valley, AZ, as a museum.  The lid over the silo is permanent fixed half-open, with a glass cover over the other half, revealing the deactivated missle sitting inside.  This allows Russian recon. satellites to confirm it's inactive status.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yeah... its my silo. I haven't spent much time on this forum so I don't know what the rules are. If you guys want an AMA or something I'm good with that. Let me know.

GT
View Quote
Fascinating videos, what’s new on the project now?

An AMA would be interesting.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

GT
View Quote
@BunnySlippers

Absolutely!

Despite some of the response about cost here, its a very cool, very interesting project and I'm sure you'd have a lot of interest.  Christ, I've probably got a hundred questions right off the top of my head.  Do it!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:41:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Spends all that money on a missile silo and can't afford a crane. The thread title is also misleading, it states he opened it but he doesn't.
View Quote
Too drunk to realize that it is a series?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:46:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

GT
View Quote
That's awesome.  This is why I love arfcom.  We have members doing the most amazing shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#21]
His Twitter is great too.

Twitter: DW Bunny Slippers
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Really cool series.

The next video when they open the door, if they did not know that that would have happened before they did it, then they are morons.

Eta: just saw he’s a member here. Sorry for my moron comment.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nice!  Thanks.  now i have to binge watch all of this guys youtube channel.
View Quote
I did so you don't have to.

It was pretty lame, really.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:14:36 PM EDT
[#24]
So, if I understand his estimates correctly.   He's anticipating having a completely "renovated" underground bunker for around $600k total investment?

Is that right?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:23:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So, if I understand his estimates correctly.   He's anticipating having a completely "renovated" underground bunker for around $600k total investment?

Is that right?
View Quote
Thats how I'm seeing it.  Much less than a lot of people spend on a second/vacation house.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#26]
I just finished the Salvage Part 1 video.   Time to take the pup[ to the dog park to play.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
For all the effort and work you could build a brand new one for less and it would be nicer.
View Quote
i kind of doubt that
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 1:47:57 PM EDT
[#28]
For $450,000 I'd buy all the guns and ammo I've ever wanted, and take every firearms related class I could. Plus money left over for hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:12:14 PM EDT
[#29]
If I had the money I'd buy one. You normies have no sense of adventure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:13:32 PM EDT
[#30]
OST up in this.

Silo owner is now posting in thread.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

GT
View Quote
Thanks for checking in.   Helluva project you've got going there.  Please be careful.    Keep the videos coming.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:37:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Has he ever managed to figure out whats flooding it and stop/contain the flooding? Or is his bug out location basically useless if it rains?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

GT
View Quote
Welcome to the site. Stick around and have a great time.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Keeping this thread going...
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:05:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

GT
View Quote
Welcome! Kudos on your determination.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Has he ever managed to figure out whats flooding it and stop/contain the flooding? Or is his bug out location basically useless if it rains?
View Quote
He built a bulkhead in the tunnel to the launch silo and raised the height of the access portal.Surprised he has not put a roof on the portal to keep stuff out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:24:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

He built a bulkhead in the tunnel to the launch silo and raised the height of the access portal.Surprised he has not put a roof on the portal to keep stuff out.
View Quote
Looks like they are still moving stuff in and out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Hopefully @Bunnyslippers  Does an AMA.  I've loved watching his progress on the silo.  He went for quite some time without any updates until last month when they got the first shitter running.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
You realize there are other episodes, right?

He does open it and almost drowns, lol
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You realize there are other episodes, right?

He does open it and almost drowns, lol
Yeah, I posted that before realizing that he had other videos. Then I proceeded to waste my morning watching them instead of doing yard work like I planned.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Hopefully @Bunnyslippers  Does an AMA.  I've loved watching his progress on the silo.  He went for quite some time without any updates until last month when they got the first shitter running.
View Quote
he has a AMA on reddit
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:37:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

GT
View Quote
Welcome
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:38:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Now build a missle for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:45:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Do you still have liberal friends?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:46:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Having been into two private ones, one was dug out and was the first one demil'd during the regan admin, the other was access through where one of the tunnels between the silo and stairwell, was removed(for its metal content during the demil prosses), then collapsed later on allowing entrance.

this is neat!
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:54:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Dressing Tactically.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:58:11 PM EDT
[#46]
@BunnySlippers

Do you plan on putting a railing on the spiral staircase?
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Dressing Tactically.
View Quote
Not all heroes wear capes.  Hero status... unlocked.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:00:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
In one of his other videos he explains that in decommissioning it the government basically blew the top 10' off the structure.  Because the water table is high, water just flows over the top edge of the entrance.

I would assume at some point he's going to have to rebuild that part of the entrance to get it back above the surface and the water table, and cover it with another structure.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Welcome BunnySlippers!

Opening that door was f'ing dangerous.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dressing Tactically.
Good video. You have some nice weapons. But 2 is 1, and 1 is none. I have always wanted a large bunker. Do you have plans for battery bank, generators, water storage,etc?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top