Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/2/2023 9:53:54 PM EDT
People Who Think Themselves Unattractive More Likely To Keep Wearing Masks, Study Says
View Quote

A report comprised of three studies showed that people who thought they were less attractive were more likely to wear masks.

The report was derived from three studies conducted by the Department of Psychology and Center for Happiness Studies at Seoul National University in South Korea. The first two studies found that people who thought they were good-looking were less willing to wear a mask; they were less likely to believe that mask-wearing made them look better. The third study found that their belief was stronger in situations where they needed to deliver a favorable impression.

“Research shows that individuals who perceive themselves as more (vs. less) attractive possess more socially desirable attributes … have higher self-esteem … and enjoy better mental and physical health,” the study stated.

The study claims that “as essential cues that signal (un) attractiveness (e.g., facial symmetry) … can be censored with a mask, mask-wearing might critically influence how one’s attractiveness is perceived. … relatively unattractive individuals are deemed more attractive with masks … previous findings suggest that mask-wearing enhances perceived attractiveness among unattractive individuals, while the opposite is true for attractive individuals.”

The study points out that in South Korea, the term “ma-gi-kkun,” was coined to refer to people who intentionally wore a mask to give a more favorable impression; the study cites the American term “mask-fisher” to mean the same thing.

“We expect that individuals who perceive themselves as attractive (unattractive) will be less (more) likely to endorse the belief that wearing a mask enhances their perceived attractiveness,” the study states, concluding, “Our results consistently demonstrated that self-perceived unattractive individuals were more willing to wear a mask, as they believed it would benefit their attractiveness.”

The Daily Mail reported that the people examined in the study were Americans recruited from Amazon Mechanical Turk and the average age of those in the study was 33 years old.

According to an Ipsos report from early December, roughly half of the Americans they surveyed reported wearing masks “at all times or sometimes when on an airplane.” 39% of respondents said they wore masks at all times or sometimes when on public transportation or in a rideshare; 33% said they wore masks at all times or sometimes in grocery stores. 85% of respondents said that the COVID-19 virus would not go away during their lifetimes.
View Quote

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailywire.com%2Fnews%2Fpeople-who-think-themselves-unattractive-more-likely-to-keep-wearing-masks-study-says
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Gotta hide the ugly. It's their only chance.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:02:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Go old school:  Lights out and lots of alcohol.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gotta hide the ugly. It's their only chance.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:06:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Go old school:  Lights out and lots of alcohol.
View Quote

Steel Panther - Turn out the Lights (feat. M Shadows)
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Those alluring eyes just didn't go with the bulbous nose, bad teef and balloon lips.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:25:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Those alluring eyes just didn't go with the bulbous nose, bad teef and balloon lips.
View Quote

I know someone like this. She still wears a mask.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:28:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I know someone like this. She still wears a mask.
View Quote

Thank you for not posting pics.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I first met a co-worker during the mask mandate. She has a nice body. A guy I know who had worked with her for a while told me she has a nice body but “a face made for COVID”. I didn’t know what he meant until I first saw her without a mask. Definitely a “butterface”.
Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Mask thread

Link Posted: 2/2/2023 10:38:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I also saw an article a while back that since the distance learning stuff took off, beautiful girls grades have gone down.  Wonder why that might be?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:20:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Here in Tokyo just about everybody is still masking when out in public even though there have been a few public announcements that it is no longer necessary. Recently I have noticed that a very few people have stopped - I might see a half-dozen un-masked faces during my commute. Most of the time it is a young lady who is probably tired of hiding something everybody should be happy to see. I've been trying to thinking of a way to be supportive without sounding creepy. Japan needs more of that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 3:31:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/3/2023 4:01:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe all these nurses and lab techs are insecure and hiding behind those masks. They also require me to wear one when I visit the clinics.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top