Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Going?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Watching it live. The SJW's are going nuts.
Going?
Touche' Brother.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I'm fine with non-practicing homosexuals seeking relief from their affliction in church, same as I'd be for an alcoholic for example.  What I have an issue with are open practitioners of it attempting to reinterpret God's word to suit themselves.  Even worse is church leadership attempting to openly engage in apostasy to further that agenda.

YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The LGBTQ community doesn't want to hear the truth: homosexuality is sin.
An abomination, even.  Mentioned alongside incest and bestiality, should some comparable behaviors be helpful for perspective.
I would caution against playing sin olympics.

Ultimately, I don't oppose open homosexuality in churches because it's a worse sin than others. What I oppose is the unrepentance and acceptance of a homosexual leader.
I'm fine with non-practicing homosexuals seeking relief from their affliction in church, same as I'd be for an alcoholic for example.  What I have an issue with are open practitioners of it attempting to reinterpret God's word to suit themselves.  Even worse is church leadership attempting to openly engage in apostasy to further that agenda.

YMMV.
Agreed 100%.

I just have come to think it's not fruitful to categorize or rank sin as that's a really nuanced discussion.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 7:59:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View Quote
Bingo
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I was baptized Methodist, unfortunately it’s hopelessly cucked; the closest Methodist Church here has an activist SJW female pastor that’s practically full-on for white genocide and hosts antifa training classes, I’m currently leaning towards joining a based as fuck traditional Catholic Church that some of my shitlord friends attend.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The scriptures are not central that I can tell, but the the ability for current leadership to supercede the scriptures is paramount to the catholic church's function.

I mean, its clear that all Christians are saints according to the scriptures and all are part of the Royal Priesthood, yet that is not what the Catholic church teaches.  And the Mary worship is scriptural how?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course we follow the Bible.  The scriptures are central to Catholic doctrine.  Are you suggesting otherwise?
The scriptures are not central that I can tell, but the the ability for current leadership to supercede the scriptures is paramount to the catholic church's function.

I mean, its clear that all Christians are saints according to the scriptures and all are part of the Royal Priesthood, yet that is not what the Catholic church teaches.  And the Mary worship is scriptural how?
We disagree with your interpretation of scripture.  You also clearly have a very limited understanding of Catholic doctrine.  In that respect, you'd fall in line with most of non-Catholic (and probably some of Catholic) GD.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Yeah, pretty much.  Liberal and conservative parishes can be like night and day, including stylistically, politically, and doctrinally.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Catholic church will be next. Current Pope is a fucking commie.
lol no.
Not going to happen.
Catholic Church will NEVER split.  That's why there are no Eastern Orthodox, Russian Orthodox, or Greek Orthodox churches.
There's a de facto schism in the Church right now.
Yeah, pretty much.  Liberal and conservative parishes can be like night and day, including stylistically, politically, and doctrinally.
Some of our best volunteers in our last District Scouting Round Table are UMC members.  My wife and I love them, great people to work with.

The history of the United Methodist Church is one of an internal return to methodical Bible study within the Anglican Church by some college students at Oxford in the 1700s, John Wesley being one of them.  I see it as a schism from the Anglican Church, since the US branch divided with the American Revolution, then divided into the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant Churches, with Methodist Episcopal South and North Churches, with the North and South reuniting in 1939 as The Methodist Church.  The 1968 merger between The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church formed what we now know as The United Methodist Church.

I didn't know UMC claimed Apostolic Succession via distant ties to the Roman Church, via the Anglican Church.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
It's fairly simple: the United Method Church has affirmed that you must follow biblical rules to be a pastor.  LGBTQ folks are enraged by this decision.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Some of our best volunteers in our last District Scouting Round Table are UMC members.  My wife and I love them, great people to work with.

The history of the United Methodist Church is one of an internal return to methodical Bible study within the Anglican Church by some college students at Oxford in the 1700s, John Wesley being one of them.  I see it as a schism from the Anglican Church, since the US branch divided with the American Revolution, then divided into the Methodist Episcopal and Methodist Protestant Churches, with Methodist Episcopal South and North Churches, with the North and South reuniting in 1939 as The Methodist Church.  The 1968 merger between The Methodist Church and The Evangelical United Brethren Church formed what we now know as The United Methodist Church.

I didn't know UMC claimed Apostolic Succession via distant ties to the Roman Church, via the Anglican Church.
View Quote
Purportedly, John Wesley was ordained a bishop by Erasmus of Arcadia. There is some debate about whether this actually happened
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Methodism was more or less a renewal movement within the Anglican Church. IIRC John Wesley tried to avoid the appearance of Methodism as being a usurpation.

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:36:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's fairly simple: the United Method Church has affirmed that you must follow biblical rules to be a pastor.  LGBTQ folks are enraged by this decision.
View Quote
A church observing the Bible?  What heresy!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:40:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Why don’t they just go form their own church instead of changing the UMC?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
They just made it really clear they weren't doing that and seemed to make it clear they were going to do what they want.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
One tidbit is that UMC as far as the organization goes owns all their buildings and realestate.

Whomever controls the denomination controls the locations.

LGBTQ HAS to be able to convince them all to go their way by 2025 otherwise it's gone. Africa & Asia are growing like a wildfire for the UMC and as they grow, they get more representation in the councils, and they are VERY traditional.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why don't they just go form their own church instead of changing the UMC?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't they just go form their own church instead of changing the UMC?
I wish they would!  But that's too much work.  These protestors are parasites - they can't create anything.  They'll be back next year.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bottom line, Methodists don't believe anything . . . nothing Biblical or scriptural anyway. Sure, they read a scripture or two every church service but they're just going through the motions. Most Methodist couldn't care less what the Bible says. When I was swimming in the deep end of scripture study, I asked my father about the Bible classes he took at seminary. He said he only had three college classes on scripture: Old Testament, New Testament and a class on the writings of Paul. I really don't think he could have found a relevant Bible verse without the weekly sermon/lesson planner the mother church provided . . .
View Quote
Growing up, the mom of one of my friends worked for the Methodist church and was heavily involved. My friend was kind of "meh" about Christianity, so I can't claim that she speaks for the Methodist faith. But one time when I was at her house I saw a large, ornate bible on display. I asked her, "Does anyone in your family ever read this bible?" She almost recoiled in horror. "Oh no! That's not us!" It was so strange that a family that was so invested in the Methodist faith couldn't even crack open the bible...
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
An abomination, even.  Mentioned alongside incest and bestiality, should some comparable behaviors be helpful for perspective.
I would caution against playing sin olympics.

Ultimately, I don't oppose open homosexuality in churches because it's a worse sin than others. What I oppose is the unrepentance and acceptance of a homosexual leader.

YMMV.
I understand the UMC is into Covenant Theology and all, but they really need more Deuteronomy 4:2 and 12:32, along with Romans 10:4, Ephesians 2:15, Colossians 2:14, Hebrews 7-10, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:00:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In fairness, so is all sin. All sorts of things cause a person to be separated from God. We just tend to elevate the other guy's sins more than our own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the bible homosexuality along with other sexual depravity is an anathema to Christianity...
In fairness, so is all sin. All sorts of things cause a person to be separated from God. We just tend to elevate the other guy's sins more than our own.
There's all sorts of stuff about all kinds of sexual immorality in the Bible. One of my friends likes to play the "homosexuality is condemned in the Bible!" card while he has behaved in ways that are equally condemned. But that's different...

I'm not giving anyone a free pass, but people do tend to cherry pick which sins they get upset about.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:09:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
There's all sorts of stuff about all kinds of sexual immorality in the Bible. One of my friends likes to play the "homosexuality is condemned in the Bible!" card while he has behaved in ways that are equally condemned. But that's different...

I'm not giving anyone a free pass, but people do tend to cherry pick which sins they get upset about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Read the bible homosexuality along with other sexual depravity is an anathema to Christianity...

I sin, fairly regularly, in various ways that are equally condemned. We all have our crosses to bear.

The difference between me (and literally most other Christians) and the political LGBT crowed is that I neither celebrate my sin, nor demand my church celebrate and accept my sin. I just try to do better.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I find it interesting that Leviticus 18, is God's commandments to the Israelites after they have left Egypt, explaining to them that the practices of the Egyptians were evil.

It talks about uncovering the nakedness of family, your brother's wife, nieces, nephews, and bestiality, in a sense that makes you realize these were normal practices among the Egyptians.

Leviticus 18: 1-5
1 And the Lord spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, and say unto them, I am the Lord your God.

3 After the doings of the land of Egypt, wherein ye dwelt, shall ye not do: and after the doings of the land of Canaan, whither I bring you, shall ye not do: neither shall ye walk in their ordinances.

4 Ye shall do my judgments, and keep mine ordinances, to walk therein: I am the Lord your God.

5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the Lord.
I've been comparing the classical Hebrew, Latin Vulgate, Wesley, Luther, and King James Versions of this Chapter.

Wesley (first English translation, 1384)
22. Thou shalt not be mixed together with a man, like in fleshly coupling with a woman, for it is an abomination.

Hebrew
?????-?????--??? ?????????, ??????????? ???????:  ?????????, ????.

Latin Vulgate (translated by Jerome from Vetus Latina in 382 under direction of Pope Damusus I)
22. cum masculo non commisceberis coitu femineo quia abominatio est

With man don't sexually unite (as) female with, abomination it is

King James 1604-1611
22. Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination.

Verse 19 is interesting when you compare them, with some striking differences:

Latin Vulgate
19. ad mulierem quae patitur menstrua non accedes nec revelabis foeditatem eius

Wycliffe
19 Thou shalt not nigh to a woman that suffereth the running of blood of month, neither thou shalt show her filthhood.

Luther (translated from classical Hebrew, not Latin Vulgate)
19 Du sollst nicht zum Weibe gehen, solange sie ihre Krankheit hat, in ihrer Unreinigkeit ihre Blöße aufzudecken.

English from German
19 Thou shalt not go to wife, as long as she has her illness, to uncover her nakedness in her uncleanness.

King James
19 Also thou shalt not approach unto a woman to uncover her nakedness, as long as she is put apart for her uncleanness.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Okay!  Well I'm glad that issue has been put to rest.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I sin, fairly regularly, in various ways that are equally condemned. We all have our crosses to bear.

The difference between me (and literally everybody else) and the political LGBT crowed is that I neither celebrate my sin, nor demand my church celebrate and accept my sin. I just try to do better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The difference between me (and literally everybody else) and the political LGBT crowed is that I neither celebrate my sin, nor demand my church celebrate and accept my sin. I just try to do better.
Christ already did it for you...

As far as celebrating sin, remember the law is not of faith (Gal. 3:12) and anything not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23), so yeah, there's some sin celebrating going on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:17:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, all sin is bad.  That's why we have repentance.  This isn't about cherry-picking sin, though.  It's about changing doctrine.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, all sin is bad.  That's why we have repentance.  This isn't about cherry-picking sin, though.  It's about changing doctrine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.timothyministry.com/2012/07/the-great-meaning-of-metanoia.html?m=1
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

As far as celebrating sin, remember the law is not of faith (Gal. 3:12) and anything not of faith is sin (Romans 14:23), so yeah, there's some sin celebrating going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Christ dying for my sins is not a license to commit sin.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
https://www.umnews.org/en/news/effort-to-delay-traditional-plan-debate-defeated

If I'm reading this right, sounds like good news for the traditional plan.  Looks like Africa really did win, this time.
View Quote
This is one of the most delicious ironies I've ever had the pleasure to see!  

You know damn well all the African delegates to the Conference did not pay their airfare and hotel costs out of their own pocket.  That money came indirectly from the apportionments paid by American congregations, including the liberal congregations pushing for ordination of gay clergy.  In effect, the proponents of the One Church Plan paid for the voters who opposed the OCP.  Can't make this shit up!
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Christ dying for my sins is not a license to commit sin.
View Quote
You are turning the grace of God into licensiousness. As if you needed a license to sin.

Don't you know that Christ said that reviling others is a sin?

Did Christ remove the Law or not? The Bible says He did, and it wasn't given to Gentiles anyway.

Paul even called the 10 Commandments "a ministry of death".
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
TL/DR
View All Quotes
Your loss.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
You'll see the racism of the left come out now.

It happened after the Catholic synod on marriage. German Cardinal Marx, major leftist and basically not a Christian, said to a reporter that the Church shouldn't be listening to Africans. After it was reported, Cardinal Marx accused the reporter of lying, and then the recording came out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.umnews.org/en/news/effort-to-delay-traditional-plan-debate-defeated

If I'm reading this right, sounds like good news for the traditional plan.  Looks like Africa really did win, this time.
You'll see the racism of the left come out now.

It happened after the Catholic synod on marriage. German Cardinal Marx, major leftist and basically not a Christian, said to a reporter that the Church shouldn't be listening to Africans. After it was reported, Cardinal Marx accused the reporter of lying, and then the recording came out.
QFT
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Your loss.
View Quote
Meh.  I'm not agreeing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
This is what you get when you pick and choose what to believe out of the bible.

It's not a buffet, people.
View Quote
I'll take your share of the shellfish then.  :)
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Meh.  I'm not agreeing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Your loss.
Meh.  I'm not agreeing.
Guess you don't care what the Bible actually says then. Good to know.

Because God repents in it...
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:32:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You are turning the grace of God into licensiousness. As if you needed a license to sin.

Don't you know that Christ said that reviling others is a sin?

Did Christ remove the Law or not? The Bible says He did, and it wasn't given to Gentiles anyway.

Paul even called the 10 Commandments "a ministry of death".
View Quote
Are you are attempting to use the word "licentiousness"?  
It's the LGBTQ folks that were licentious today.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
You didn't link to the Bible, but you already know that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:38:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Telling people that grace isn't a license to sin is basically telling them that grace doesn't exist, and actually boldly turning grace into "licentiousness".

The law never made anyone righteous. Stop thinking it does, metanoia, and believe the good news.
Quoted:

Lol. You've already lost the argument. No NT writer wrote the word "repent" in the Bible. They wrote the word "metanoia" which means something entirely different.

But you'd know that if you read the article.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:40:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Telling people that grace isn't a license to sin is basically telling them that grace doesn't exist, and actually boldly turning grace into "licentiousness".

The law never made anyone righteous. Stop thinking it does, metanoia, and believe the good news.
Lol. You've already lost the argument. No NT writer wrote the word "repent" in the Bible. They wrote the word "metanoia" which means something entirely different.

View Quote
Like I said, you didn't link to the Bible.  But you already know that.  I can't lose an argument you failed to make.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Because to Leftist activists, it's not enough to be your equal: they want you to submit to them.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:44:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
They just made it really clear they weren't doing that and seemed to make it clear they were going to do what they want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In other words: I demand a vote to force you to do my bidding...and I'll only adhere to the results if I win.

Typical Leftism.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is what you get when you pick and choose what to believe out of the bible.
It's not a buffet, people.
I take it you don't know about Peter's dream, found in the New Testament. You know...the bible.

Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Perhaps you should stop using words you clearly don't understand (like "licensiousness"), and stop telling people what they think.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:03:39 PM EDT
[#43]
I think this is just a hold over from the Obama years when this was pushed to the forefront of our society and became more accepted.  Now it is not looked upon the same and many of the gains are being rolled back as this is one example.  This was considered before from what I hear but not voted on.  I just started attending the UMC church and like it.  I like the old hymns. But if the UMC church would have embraced this then I would have walked on.

I believe God is on the move and am thankful for the outcome.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:08:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:20:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mistranslation bigtime.

Hebrew Genesis 6:6

6 ADONAI regretted that he had made humankind on the earth; it grieved his heart.

Look at Luther's translation from original Hebrew of Genesis 6:6...
6. da reute es ihn, daß er die Menschen gemacht hatte auf Erden, und es bekümmerte ihn in seinem Herzen

6. Then He regretted that He had made men on earth, and it grieved Him in His Heart.

Latin Vulgate
6. paenituit eum quod hominem fecisset in terra et tactus dolore cordis intrinsecus

6. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart within him

If you're relying on King James Translation published in 1611, it's several iterations down the road of translations from different languages, left to English scholars from the 3 major universities assigned by the King's Hampton Court Commission in 1604, and the nightly arguments about how to do the translation correctly after each individual scholar went off on their own for the day to translate specific chapters, then reconvened with their team every evening to debate the accuracy of the translations.

You can see the failure in where things went of the rails with the Lord "repented" verses going back to Jerome, who was commissioned by Pope Damasus I in 382 to translate the Old Latin texts that had been translated from what the early Church fathers had.

We have a perverted translation of Holy text passed on through the last 1637 years.

It is interesting to watch an argument in favor of translations that were handled very poorly, then standardized with King James.

Martin Luther's translation makes much more sense when looking at the Hebrew, spiritual, and doctrinal considerations.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:21:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Like I said, you didn't link to the Bible.  But you already know that.  I can't lose an argument you failed to make.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh that lame old trick. Here you go:

Jonah 3:10 King James Version (KJV)
10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Of course, this is an issue requiring a lexicon, not the Bible. Terms have been redefined. But again, if you read that article you'd know that.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:22:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Perhaps you should stop using words you clearly don't understand (like "licensiousness"), and stop telling people what they think.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

You mean like accusing people of giving a license to sin?
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Mistranslation bigtime.

6 ADONAI regretted that he had made humankind on the earth; it grieved his heart.

6. da reute es ihn, da er die Menschen gemacht hatte auf Erden, und es bekmmerte ihn in seinem Herzen

6. Then He regretted that He had made men on earth, and it grieved Him in His Heart.

Latin Vulgate
6. paenituit eum quod hominem fecisset in terra et tactus dolore cordis intrinsecus

6. And it repented the LORD that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart within him

If you're relying on King James Translation published in 1611, it's several iterations down the road of translations from different languages, left to English scholars from the 3 major universities assigned by the King's Hampton Court Commission in 1604, and the nightly arguments about how to do the translation correctly after each individual scholar went off on their own for the day to translate specific chapters, then reconvened with their team every evening to debate the accuracy of the translations.

You can see the failure in where things went of the rails with the Lord "repented" verses going back to Jerome, who was commissioned by Pope Damasus I in 382 to translate the Old Latin texts that has been translated from what the early Church fathers had.

We have a perverted translation of Holy text passed on through the last 1637 years.

It is interesting to watch an argument in favor of translations that were handled very poorly, then standardized with King James.

Martin Luther's translation makes much more sense when looking at the Hebrew, spiritual, and doctrinal considerations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mistranslation bigtime.

6. da reute es ihn, da er die Menschen gemacht hatte auf Erden, und es bekmmerte ihn in seinem Herzen

Latin Vulgate

You can see the failure in where things went of the rails with the Lord "repented" verses going back to Jerome, who was commissioned by Pope Damasus I in 382 to translate the Old Latin texts that has been translated from what the early Church fathers had.

Holy crap you aren't even analyzing the right text or even the right language.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

10 And God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God repented of the evil, that he had said that he would do unto them; and he did it not.

Of course, this is an issue requiring a lexicon, not the Bible. Terms have been redefined. But again, if you read that article you'd know that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Latin Vulgate
Jonas 3:10

10. et vidit Deus opera eorum quia conversi sunt a via sua mala et misertus est Deus super malitiam quam locutus fuerat ut faceret eis et non fecit

10. And God saw their works, that they were turned from their evil way: and God had mercy with regard to the evil which he had said that he would do to them, and he did it not.

Jona 3:10 Luther Bible
10 Da aber Gott sah ihre Werke, daß sie sich bekehrten von ihrem bösen Wege, reute ihn des Übels, das er geredet hatte ihnen zu tun, und tat's nicht.

10 But when God saw their works, that they were converted from their evil ways, they repented of the evil that he had spoken to them, and did not do them.

It's as if the various translators got some things right, and others really wrong.
Page / 12
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top