Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2013 8:48:11 PM EDT
So what does everyone play?
Link Posted: 9/1/2013 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Warhammer 40k

Space Marines and IG to be specific......

Link Posted: 9/1/2013 9:42:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Warhammer, but I just don't have the time for it anymore. I really wish I did.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:34:26 AM EDT
[#3]
40k... Iron Hands Spess Mareens and IG and Chaos and Eldar (I like options.)
Warhammer... Dark Elves.

Robotech! (once it ships).
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:55:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I play a shit ton of Warmachine/Hordes.  I have a couple of 40k armies.  If I could get the gaming group to agree I'd play the old-school games Necromunda and Mordheim both.  Those are Games Workshop's best games they ever produced.  I'm selling off some old D&D Miniatures to Miniature Market in trade for X-Wing.  I got the chance to play it a couple of weeks ago and it's a lot of fun.  

And to you guys who are Space marine players, have you been practicing your bending over?  GW's Advance Order page is showing what is either egregious typos or prolonged heavy use of crack cocaine in the development of their pricing for the new SM stuff.  Holy shit, $58 for the codex is highway robbery.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I play Axis & Allies Miniatures.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 12:51:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
 Holy shit, $58 for the codex is highway robbery.
View Quote

But, but, but, its got new stuff!!1!1111

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 Holy shit, $58 for the codex is highway robbery.

Yeah, and that's kind of a problem for me, too.  In the fluff the Imperium of mankind has kind of stalled out, technologically speaking.  Most suits of Space Marine armor are supposed to be hundreds of years old.  Hell, most of the Terminator armor is supposedly thousands of years old.  But now they have new armor that no one has seen before that's somewhere between a Dreadnought and a Terminator in size?  In the last thirty years of gaming background these have never even been mentioned and now they're just plopped down into the universe like they've been there all along, they've just been hiding them from ol' crazytuco.  Well, I'm not falling for it.  

I think I'll take the $58 they want for the codex and buy more stuff for the 40k RPG.  It kicks so much ass and I can still use my minis if I want to.  Hell, I can throw in my terrain and run the combats in my RPG in 3D.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 3:46:47 PM EDT
[#8]
40k but trimming waaay back.  Prices are nucking futz.  GW's answer seems to be 'raise prices' as their market share dwindles.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Welp, there's ways to get those books a lot cheaper. As for as the miniatures; there are 3D printer files already out there, and an adequate printer is cheaper than a 40k army.

Link Posted: 9/3/2013 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Welp, there's ways to get those books a lot cheaper. As for as the miniatures; there are 3D printer files already out there, and an adequate printer is cheaper than a 40 army.
View Quote

Something about damning with faint praise comes to mind here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a metric shit ton of 40k stuff, but I've never actually played a game. Same for WHFB. Honestly with the GW price hikes I'm seriously considering dumping all the GW stuff.  $75 for a rulebook with recycled art and $58 for a codex? Plus all sorts of corporate douchebaggery? Seriously, get fucked GW.

Kings of War seems to be going very strong these days. Like the looks of their new army.

Last night I played X-Wing. OMG, that game is fun. Very, very easy to learn. I was playing with my 8 year old within minutes of opening the box. If you don't own this game, you need to buy it right now. Like before you finish reading this post. It's only ~ $26 on Amazon. No excuses lol.

I managed to order a copy of Bolt Action, I'll see it this weekend. Heard nothing but great things, and it is selling out everywhere. I rationalized this purchase with the "I'll use it to teach WWII to my son" line

I did get the starter set for Hordes and Warmachine. Working on the rules right now, seems OK. I absolutely love the way PP puts the unit stats card in the box. So much better than an army book IMO. Also I like how there doesn't seem to be a killer list, and all factions are viable.

Lets see, what else.... OH, Dust Tactics! That game seems badass, I really like the Weird War Two style they went with. Very unique.

Dropzone Commander has a 2 player box set coming out soon. Not sure if I like the tiny scale though, despite hearing great things about this game.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:13:19 PM EDT
[#12]
If you stick with Warmachine/Hordes, seriously look at their War Room app.  It gets some trash from people who remember an older third-party app, but when used during a game in place of cards, it's pretty kickass.  Imagine having all the cards in your smartphone and you can track damage on the cards in the device.  Paying for a deck gives you access to all the cards, even cards from future releases.  They show up in your library the day they're released.  And by released that means when they're made public, whether that's in an advance preview in No Quarter magazine, a book release, or at a convention.  The new Butcher was released at GenCon and the card was in my library the same day that everyone at GenCon got to see it.  

I agree with X-Wing.  That game is an absolute winner.
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I want to like X-Wing (great models!) but FFG's use of screwy dice bugs me.  "I got a KA-POW, two ZOTs and a PRANCY PONY."
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 12:40:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I used to have a Khornate Chaos Space Marine army.  Lots of Berzerkers.  I loved it.  Then, change in codexes, and things got too expensive to keep up.

Now, I sculpt a lot of 15mm sci-fi stuff, but never seem to have time to game anymore.

I am looking forward to getting my 15mm Leviathans from Dreamforge Games, though.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/4/2013 1:43:40 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I used to have a Khornate Chaos Space Marine army.  Lots of Berzerkers.  I loved it.  Then, change in codexes, and things got too expensive to keep up.

Now, I sculpt a lot of 15mm sci-fi stuff, but never seem to have time to game anymore.

I am looking forward to getting my 15mm Leviathans from Dreamforge Games, though.

Best,

JBR
View Quote

I had a Slaanesh Noise Marines + Demonettes + a Defiler or two. LOVED IT. Sadly they ganked my entire army the next edition. I was done after that.

Link Posted: 9/4/2013 3:57:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a metric shit ton of 40k stuff, but I've never actually played a game. Same for WHFB. Honestly with the GW price hikes I'm seriously considering dumping all the GW stuff.  $75 for a rulebook with recycled art and $58 for a codex? Plus all sorts of corporate douchebaggery? Seriously, get fucked GW.

Kings of War seems to be going very strong these days. Like the looks of their new army.

Last night I played X-Wing. OMG, that game is fun. Very, very easy to learn. I was playing with my 8 year old within minutes of opening the box. If you don't own this game, you need to buy it right now. Like before you finish reading this post. It's only ~ $26 on Amazon. No excuses lol.

I managed to order a copy of Bolt Action, I'll see it this weekend. Heard nothing but great things, and it is selling out everywhere. I rationalized this purchase with the "I'll use it to teach WWII to my son" line

I did get the starter set for Hordes and Warmachine. Working on the rules right now, seems OK. I absolutely love the way PP puts the unit stats card in the box. So much better than an army book IMO. Also I like how there doesn't seem to be a killer list, and all factions are viable.

Lets see, what else.... OH, Dust Tactics! That game seems badass, I really like the Weird War Two style they went with. Very unique.

Dropzone Commander has a 2 player box set coming out soon. Not sure if I like the tiny scale though, despite hearing great things about this game.
View Quote

dust tactics does look really cool, im gonna get a few walkers if nothing else. $60 for the core set and 2 starter armies, not that bad. prices for the rest are pretty reasonable and if you dont want to paint them they do sell them painted, but at a hefty price.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 10:15:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Axis and Allies Miniatures

D&D Miniatures (2nd and 5th editions)

X-Wing sounds intriguing.  I may do some trades for it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#18]
This thread needs pictures of miniatures...
Link Posted: 9/8/2013 12:22:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This thread needs pictures of miniatures...
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 2:45:26 PM EDT
[#20]
The vehicles are my sculpts.  Rebel Minis Titan Marines, including the HAMR suit, the VTOL, and two MRAPs.
The Titan infantry (like most stuff in 15mm) are based on pennies.  Paintjob by Micropanzer.

I did the sci-fi M113 in this pic.  The mech, and paintjobs, are by Micropanzer.

Best,
JBR
Link Posted: 9/9/2013 3:42:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I was hoping you'd show up JBR.   <<<<-----    This man makes great minis!  Buy them!

40k from 2nd edition (Salamanders and Night Lords still), plus most of the other major GW games minus Fantasy.
Warmahordes (Cryx, Mercs, and Legion)
15mm Sci-Fi (Gruntz and looking at Tomorrow's War)
Infinity (great skirmish scale, only need like 6 minis to play)
Secrets of the Third Reich 1949  Weird War 2

I'm waiting for MORE of my Dreamforge stuff to come in.  Another Leviathan, plus extra weapon arms :D   I'll be using them for Sci-fi and Weird War 2 gaming.

Repurposed Ma.K  armor for my WWW2 Germans

Salamanders Captain

Night Lords Chosen

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just mailed off a bunch of D&D minis to Miniature Market that I don't use anymore/never used at all.  They gave me enough in webstore credit that I got about $260 worth of X-Wing stuff in MSRP dollars and I only had to pay $30 out of pocket plus the $12 to mail them my minis.  They were sold out of their pre-orders for the HWK-290, though, so I'll have to track that down locally.  

Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Cool to see that we got some Arfcom mini sculptors!!

Nothing I have ever painted is worth taking a picture of, so no pics from me, but keep the nice work coming!
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#24]
I must be the only guy in the world left with a big BattleTech collection.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 8:28:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope, one of my friends can field a Brigade of Battlemechs.  Like, 4-5 regiments of 120 mechs each...  
He cray-cray ....
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 7:52:24 AM EDT
[#27]
New Space Marine codex is out.  Got it with store credit.  Otherwise $60!?!
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Nope, one of my friends can field a Brigade of Battlemechs.  Like, 4-5 regiments of 120 mechs each...  
He cray-cray ....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He cray-cray ....

I've got a real good friend that has 2400, give or take a few, battletech miniatures. He's got at least 4 of each mech for each clan. Plus, he's got all the others too (the small flyers, jeeps, etc..). Every single on of them painted. He used to display them on bookshelves in his man room, but now it's packed up in about 30 bankers boxes.

Damn nice collection, too. I know he's got a shitload of money tied up in it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, that price is complete bullshit.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 9:27:27 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I just mailed off a bunch of D&D minis to Miniature Market that I don't use anymore/never used at all.  They gave me enough in webstore credit that I got about $260 worth of X-Wing stuff in MSRP dollars and I only had to pay $30 out of pocket plus the $12 to mail them my minis.  They were sold out of their pre-orders for the HWK-290, though, so I'll have to track that down locally.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coolstuffinc or Troll and Toad might have it.  Too bad on trading off those D&D minis.  I might have been interested in some of them.

So far D&D minis are about the only ones I've used to any length.  I've only gotten a chance to use the A&A miniatures a few times.  Its a shame.  Cool game, easy to learn, but getting anyone to play is super hard.  WW2 is boring I guess.

I decided to hold off on the gridless X-wing.  I don't like rulers and sticks and extreme amounts of tokens.  At least with AAM I could substitute cheap poker chips from wally world.  Somebody did make a hex-grid mod to it though at boardgame geek.  Maybe that could change my mind.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Coolstuffinc or Troll and Toad might have it.  Too bad on trading off those D&D minis.  I might have been interested in some of them.

So far D&D minis are about the only ones I've used to any length.  I've only gotten a chance to use the A&A miniatures a few times.  Its a shame.  Cool game, easy to learn, but getting anyone to play is super hard.  WW2 is boring I guess.

I decided to hold off on the gridless X-wing.  I don't like rulers and sticks and extreme amounts of tokens.  At least with AAM I could substitute cheap poker chips from wally world.  Somebody did make a hex-grid mod to it though at boardgame geek.  Maybe that could change my mind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Coolstuffinc was out of stock on it, too.  I guess it must have been short-packed compared to the other ships.  Kinda makes sense as it's the only ship so far that's from the expanded universe and not from the movies.  I went to my local game store.  They had one of them on the shelf.  I grabbed it and asked the guy behind the counter if they had anymore.  He checked their inventory and said that the computer showed their inventory at "-5."  Looks like I went home with someone's pre-order.  But that's okay.  I can live with that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2013 3:12:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the collectors ones are $115 bucks ......

i have a lot of 40k stuff. 99% of it not painted or put together. Never had any friends local that played it, so I just collect. played 2 games of it at a convention or something.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

the collectors ones are WERE $115 bucks ......

i have a lot of 40k stuff. 99% of it not painted or put together. Never had any friends local that played it, so I just collect. played 2 games of it at a convention or something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

the collectors ones are WERE $115 bucks ......

Fixed it for you. They sold out within a day or two. And all they had different was a dustcover.

This is why GW will never go out of business.
Link Posted: 9/14/2013 8:54:16 PM EDT
[#34]
i think they had that chapters fluff attached.  I think they were 500 copies of each chapter they did, I had looked when they first went on sale and did not realize they sold out so fast..    now they have the entire Ultramarines chapter for just under 12,000 bucks..
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#35]
I used to play Warhammer 40K. Stopped around 5th ed after I realized that GW is great at producing units and fluff, but absolutely fucking terrible at playtesting and balancing. They're writers first, gamemakers second. Plus after they started jacking their prices way, WAY up. I said fuck that, there's other hobbies I can spend my money on that get me a lot more return. Used to play CSM, specifically a Tzeentch-oriented force.

But I still am an oldschool BattleTech player. Been in it since about '98. Still play to this day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2013 5:33:24 PM EDT
[#36]
I quit 40k after 3rd Ed. I never had an issue with balance. The good players always won, the bad one s always lost. More than once I had someone complain about my chosen army being over powered so I traded armies with them and beat them again.

I tried getting into Micro Armor but no local players. I would like to get into some of the historical games, but I need another time sink like I need another hole in my head.
Link Posted: 10/5/2013 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#37]
BATTLETECH

Three full RCTs of Mechs, Tanks and Aerospace. (2600+ in various states from fully painted to still new in packages). A buddy of mine owned a games store and when he retired I bought all the Battletech books and miniatures he had. I sold a good portion of it but I still had every Mech, tank and plane ever produced plus multiples of such. All the books as well.  I'm still buying them as they are released.

Been playing / collecting since 1988
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#38]
My son was big into all of the Clix games a few years ago. I learned to play it just so he could have someone to test strategies on. We also dabbled with Axis and Allies minis a bit. I have never tried Warhammer or Horde. The X-Wing game looks fun, I may have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 10/11/2013 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Flames of War

Tafalgar/Wooden Ship Iron Men

Legends of the Old West/Gut Shot/Six Gun Sound

All Things Zombie (15mm/28mm/hex&counter also)

Zombicide

BIG FUN GAME (or BFG/Battle Fleet Gothic)

2nd edition Space Marine/Titan legions (Epic 40K)

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Warhammer 40k. I've got an Israel Defense Forces Imperial Guard army.

Hassidic battle psykers with yamichas

Vendettas done up as F16is

Link Posted: 10/23/2013 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Three full RCTs of Mechs, Tanks and Aerospace.
View Quote

How does your Atlas scout 'mech work for you, Lyran?
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#42]
At some point I must have played them all. 40k: Dark Angels, Orks, Nids, UltraMarines...think a couple others, Necromunda, Mordheim, Warmachine, and Flames of War. Still have my Warmachine and FoW stuff but I haven't played in probably 5 years.
I like the painting but it takes me forever to finish a single model because if it's not perfect I'm not happy. Then multiply that by 50-100 models per army...UGH!

GW has constantly raised their prices which is precisely why we stopped playing anything GW makes. I really liked their games but fuck those guy.
Necromunda and Mordheim were great games and you only need a small squad to play. I liked how the have the campaign setup to get xp for your guys. After a few battles our guys take on a little personality which adds to the enjoyment.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Gringo!  Gimme a call you asshat.

Try out Infinity for some cool skirmish scale stuff.  6 models and you're good.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:18:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/4618/pbsa.jpg

http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/6545/army1c.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you broke the Internets. Too much awesome in one pic.

Quoted:

Where do you guys play? I'm in San Antonio.

I have heard that a slight issue with Infinity is that the translation from Spanish to English is a little muddled at some parts in the rules. If you habla espanol try to get an original Spanish printing.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Starting up All Things Zombie in 1/72nd which is very close to 20mm scale. Lets you use matchbox cars, many toys and tons of cheap plastic minis. Using airfix civilians to build up my zombie horde along with Elhiem 20mm metal zombie minis.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 6:41:14 PM EDT
[#46]
Currently:

Star Wars X-Wing
Dust Tactics
Axis and Allies Naval miniatures

Soon:

Ogre Designers Edition, I have three copies on the way from the kick starter which I hope to arrive next week.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#47]
Axis and Allies minis.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Ogre (and that should date me......)
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:08:33 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have heard that a slight issue with Infinity is that the translation from Spanish to English is a little muddled at some parts in the rules. If you habla espanol try to get an original Spanish printing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

We are in Houston.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top