Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:29:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask Midcap how he gets his dates in/out of his house.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:31:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:57:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a lift gate trailer that I can use. Going from concrete floors to concrete floors.

Any advice??
View Quote

I had a small pro moving company get a TL30 3,500 lb safe out of an old JC Penny’s and take it 15 miles to my drive in basement house.  The original metal bottom bars are still on it and so they could use a narrow forked pallet Jack to move it on flat ground.  It took 3 guys and me to get it out of the JC Penny’s.  Then onto a 26’ box truck with a lift gate rated for 5k pounds.  Getting it onto the lift gate was a pain and when they lifted it bounced the whole truck.  The door is the heaviest and it was facing out.  So not optimal.  I had them put a semi truck strap on it when the lifted and ratchet it as it went up so it wouldn’t tip over.  Cost $500 for them to move it.  

The second time we moved from one house to another and used PCS movers (gov contractor). They brought a normal width pallet Jack (which didn’t work.  Used a combo of handy haulers, pvc pipes, and eventually hired a rollback tow truck to load it onto the moving tractor trailer.  Those guys were morons.  When we got it to the new house they hired a rollback to get it off the moving truck and set it on the driveway.  Broke two more handy haulers half ass moving it into my garage.  I was done with them.  I rented a narrow forked pallet Jack 5 or 6k pounds rated and moved it into the spot myself.  Broke the first pallet Jack.  I think it was allready slightly broken from someone before me.  Got the second pallet Jack after the rental place tried to blame me for breaking the pallet Jack and moved it into place.  Only cost me the price of renting the pallet Jack $80.

You could do it yourself but I would hire it out to someone insured it it’s not a straight forward move.  Watch out for the bounce or sag on the back end of your trailer when you lift.  Make sure your trailer hitch/tongue can handle the weight.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I moved my 3000lb safe with about 6 two foot sections of thick wall 1/2" pvc pipes. Cut to the size you need and keep feeding a new on in the front as you roll.

My 110lb wife helped me and was easily able to maneuver the front.
View Quote

Having trouble picturing this. Help!

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Lift with your back in quick jerky motions
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#6]
In college we tried to do it by hand  and almost died, so maybe not by hand lol
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

He butters her hips just to get through the door.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:18:55 AM EDT
[#8]
You could also try finding a rigging crew that does machinery.  Those guys are magicians.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
2000lbs can easily be moved with tractor and pallet jack if the tractor is rated to lift that much.

You just want to be very sure it doesn’t get away from you on even slightly unlevel surface.

I use a pallet jack to move 5000lb equipment on level surface, but just a tiny incline or bump and it gets significantly more challenging.

Even a trailer parked on slight incline can make it a life changing or life ending experience.

That’s why I’ll pay to have bigger stuff moved.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 10:40:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy new safe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:22:08 AM EDT
[#11]

A neighbor had these when I brought my safe and I was able to move it around the house by myself. 1700 lbs. Then I saw a set at a garage sale for 30 bucks. These things are amazing.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:37:18 AM EDT
[#12]
I just got moved into my new build a few weeks ago.  The distance from house to house was less than 1/4 mile.  I still hired movers and would do it again for twice the price.  For those who just keep saying to "hire movers", The crew that came to my place said that they "technically aren't allowed to move safes or ammunition."  I tipped each guy $50 20 minutes after they started so they consider moving it for me anyway (which they did).  Tipped them another $100 each (4 guys) when they were done.  I say that to say this. . . make sure if you ask the moving company if you decide to go that route.  Otherwise, take the door off and have an industrial dolly.  Put plywood down on your tile floor 1st.  I know one guy who cracked his entire hallway up dolly-ing his safe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 11:45:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Paying someone to move my vault. I watched it float in and out of my house once and it floated in this house. It can float out and into the new house. $9000 vault in gloss black I wouldn’t attempt to move it.
View Quote

I wouldn't try to move mine either. The guys that delivered it made it look too easy, especially navigating a couple of steps with their hydraulic stair climbing dolly.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#14]
A new heavy duty moving blanket.

Put it under the safe and pull.

It is amazing how easy they slide.

My 1800 pound safe was a breeze that way.

If you are going from outside to inside, use one blanket outside, then switch to your inside blanket.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:28:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I just got moved into my new build a few weeks ago.  The distance from house to house was less than 1/4 mile.  I still hired movers and would do it again for twice the price.  For those who just keep saying to "hire movers", The crew that came to my place said that they "technically aren't allowed to move safes or ammunition."  I tipped each guy $50 20 minutes after they started so they consider moving it for me anyway (which they did).  Tipped them another $100 each (4 guys) when they were done.  I say that to say this. . . make sure if you ask the moving company if you decide to go that route.  Otherwise, take the door off and have an industrial dolly.  Put plywood down on your tile floor 1st.  I know one guy who cracked his entire hallway up dolly-ing his safe.
View Quote

I moved 10 miles back in 2012.  I paid $250 to a safe moving company for the entire move, and they drilled it and bolted it to my concrete foundation.  They handled everything and put plywood down before moving it anywhere.  I think I tipped them $50 just for making the experience so pleasant.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:30:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

...Any advice??
View Quote

Get at least two physically fit friends to help.  Three or four would be better.

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Easiest thing I have seen.  Brought by a safe mover.   Single guy set my 800lb safe.   Teflon strips screwed to oak baker boards.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don’t think a triple decker roast beef and cheese sandwich with fries and a shake will entice a 2000lb safe.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:24:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Hire a lock and safe company.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:26:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Easiest thing I have seen.  Brought by a safe mover.   Single guy set my 800lb safe.   Teflon strips screwed to oak baker boards.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60593/IMG_20200515_121419680_jpg-2907203.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/60593/IMG_20200515_121422941_jpg-2907205.JPG
View Quote

One guy who was maybe 125lbs pushed my 3000lb safe across the basement using boards like that and made it look effortless.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I moved my large shed across my yard with 4 inch electrical PVC conduit and a come along.  The electrical conduit is stronger than the plumbing conduit.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 4:48:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's plain vanilla mean.

BTW, I'd hire a safe mover for the 1 ton.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hire someone with the proper equipment and insurance.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
3/4" rigid pipe cut into 2' length.
View Quote

Moved a hot tub using this method except with longer cuts. We left the water in it and moved it about 30 feet from its original spot
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Roll on golfballs. As many as you can get
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Would you worry about the movers knowing you got a big ass safe, and therefore with a large collection of firearms and other valuables in the house?
View Quote

Be more worried about a falling 2000 pound safe amputating a foot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 7:56:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Best money I ever spent was having a locksmith move a safe that weighed close to a thousand pounds. It was an old antique safe.

The money you spend will be well with it.  Plus a nice tip.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I moved a 2,000 lb safe with these.

They worked great. I loaded the safe in a semi-trailer using the semi’s ramp some ropes and a come-a-long. Unloaded it the same way.  Then I rolled it around the block to the rear entry garage.  Couldn’t be simpler.  Then sell the dollies when finished.
You can purchase them at rigging.com. Safe Dolly
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Rollers and leverage.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Pay a safe mover.  Best advice you will get.
View Quote

Do this…. Don’t be an idiot
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#31]
My uncle and I moved his safe by cutting closet poles down to three feet and when they came out the back we put them in the front.

The turns took a little effort but mostly effortless.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 8:34:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Hire someone with the proper equipment and insurance.
View Quote

T H I S . . . It's well worth the money.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top