Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2017 9:51:57 PM EDT
This Lincoln Digital 2450D was delivered to me today.
My wife ordered it for me for Fathers day but it has been on back-order since June.
I have never had a fancy helmet like this one and I will try it tomorrow.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
It took me about two months before I quit flipping the lid on my auto helmet.

Nice though, mines not that fancy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:55:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks pretty nice ! Report back on how well it works. 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Approve.

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Can you use it to look at the sun? 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
The auto-darkening helmets are nice.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Great question, I will have to try it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep...and burning magnesium...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:59:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have an old fixed shade #11 lens I gave my kid for the upcoming eclipse. That should go up to a #13. Youre good to go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:00:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Is it air conditioned?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my welders the analog ones - they really like them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:03:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have an old fixed shade #11 lens I gave my kid for the upcoming eclipse. That should go up to a #13. Youre good to go.
View Quote
Answer me this, if the eclipse is the moon getting between the earth and the sun why do we need shade to look at it. It will get dark right?
I can walk outside and look at the sun on a normal day, why not during a eclipse?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Answer me this, if the eclipse is the moon getting between the earth and the sun why do we need shade to look at it. It will get dark right?
I can walk outside and look at the sun on a normal day, why not during a eclipse?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

UV
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I must be getting tired

I read the title and thought 

What the hell is a wedding helmet???
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is number 14 welder's glass. It is imperative that the welding hood houses a #14 or darker filter.

This is from the NASA website.  Some good info there.

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/safety
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The guy at the local welding shop didn't even try to sell me on the Lincoln hoods. Even when I asked about the more expensive ones, and said money wasn't an issue. I looked at them myself and saw nothing that they offered that miller didn't.

Ended up with a miller digital elite. I didn't think the infinity brought enough to the table to justify the extra cost.

Guy said Lincoln isn't in the apparel game, they just want to focus on electrodes, wire, and machines. Their apparel is just to say they have it, apparently.

I'd say that you shouldn't have a problem with it, apparently they are not junk by any means, just not really trying to make the big money on sales.

Now go get some spatter burns on it!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Experts suggests that one widely available filter for safe solar viewing is number 14 welder's glass. It is imperative that the welding hood houses a #14 or darker filter.

View Quote
Are they the same folks that say "dont run with scissors"?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:13:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice!

Dibs on optics, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:16:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what its worth, the darkest lens I can find locally is a 12, so that's what ill be using.  I did buy the gold tinted ones so the sun would be orange and not green.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The guy at the local welding shop didn't even try to sell me on the Lincoln hoods. Even when I asked about the more expensive ones, and said money wasn't an issue. I looked at them myself and saw nothing that they offered that miller didn't.

Ended up with a miller digital elite. I didn't think the infinity brought enough to the table to justify the extra cost.

Guy said Lincoln isn't in the apparel game, they just want to focus on electrodes, wire, and machines. Their apparel is just to say they have it, apparently.

I'd say that you shouldn't have a problem with it, apparently they are not junk by any means, just not really trying to make the big money on sales.

View Quote
I will burn it up tomorrow. My son won this same helmet in a welding contest a year ago, he loves it, but he just bought himself a
new Miller helmet of some sort. He is a welder, I just weld when I need to repair something. I will use this one with the plasma cutter as well.
My old auto Hobart helmet has been flashing me lately, just old I guess.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I will burn it up tomorrow. My son won this same helmet in a welding contest a year ago, he loves it, but he just bought himself a
new Miller helmet of some sort. He is a welder, I just weld when I need to repair something. I will use this one with the plasma cutter as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I also use a Miller DE for a living.

But the Lincoln will be G2G for you. Its a good hood. And Lincoln is made in Cleveland, OH..
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:24:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 2 3350's. One for home one for work. Lincoln makes some good shit. I can't see a damn thing out of my coworkers' helmets. That includes one guy who has one of those super lightweight 3m ones.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:27:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I have 2 3350's. One for home one for work. Lincoln makes some good shit. I can't see a damn thing out of my coworkers' helmets. That includes one guy who has one of those super lightweight 3m ones.
View Quote
Speedglas

Super pricey.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Nice hood.

I still can't use an auto. They seem fragile to me. And the view out of my pipeliner with gold lens is unbeatable.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:29:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I just bought a esab sentinel and really like it. I look like a cyborg when I wear it. Sometimes I sit in the dark at home on a friday night with it on, watching shark tank and pounding pbr while contemplating the failures in life that led me to this point at 29 years old. It's just a super nice hood.

But i'm kind of a tool whore. I have around 5 grand in helmets. I usually use my cheap weldmark because I don't want to scratch up my fancy ones.

Interesting and unique hoods make my dick hard.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#26]
My work buys me whatever the helmets we asked for, whenever.

So far I've Miller DE, Speedglas 9100XX, Lincoln 3350(biggest lens) for the past few years.  

We are currently using Jackson Balder helmets because it is the lightest.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:32:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Speedglas

Super pricey.
View Quote
Ah yes that's the one. I call it his spaceman helmet. He got his for free through his former BIL. We get funny looks bringing Gucci helmets into coal mines but a $300 one is a hell of a lot different than a $30 Rural King Hobart clone.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Nice hood.

I still can't use an auto. They seem fragile to me. And the view out of my pipeliner with gold lens is unbeatable.
View Quote
Believe me, they're not fragile.  My speedglass 9100 gets tosses around and beaten like a rented mule.  Just don't kick the lens on one 
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Now get your ass out there and build America!

Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:36:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I've got both the 3M Speedglas 9100 and the 9100 Adflo.  

Good hoods.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Hoods are used to block out light.
Helmets are used to protect from impacts.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Some of the guys at school have Lincoln hoods, seem solid. The instructor likes and recommends them.
I went with a digital elite, so no first hand experience with the Lincoln.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 1:09:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice! I am on my second Lincoln helmet, 3350 with the yuge glass. My sweat ruined the first one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top