Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:39:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They addressed this stating that unless the government could prove that an expansion of sensitive areas is justified, then any further expansion is unconstitutional. They even called out population density as NOT being justification.
View Quote

I don't think they care.

NYC Council pushing to expand ‘sensitive locations’ after SCOTUS gun ruling
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm about 1/3 of the way through the decision. Thomas is talking about Heller, a lot. I'm getting shades of Scalia from this, like they had a plan and Thomas is finishing the job his friend started. Maybe it's the beer, but did anyone else notice this?
View Quote
Thomas has been angry about how the lower courts interpreted heller since it was published.

The court at the time had to leave some holes in the heller decision to keep Kennedy on board. It wasn't as strong as Scalia and Thomas wanted.  The lower courts really pushed the bounds of the heller decision to get the result they wanted.

This is Thomas trying to finish the job, and he did a good job.  There are some devastating sentences in there setting out the guidance for how to actually interpret heller.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:41:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Attachment Attached File

it’s a generous man who gives everyone else a gift on his birthday.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:44:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Aside from the actual win itself, I liked Alito's opinion the best.  Basically a, "What the fuck are you even talking about, Breyer?"
View Quote

I had to read it twice. It was a brutal polite way of saying Breyer is a fucking moron of the ages.
I mean it was like the guy that gave no points to Billy Maddison.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:46:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Secured areas banning lawful carry should imply that the security of those entering is the responsibility of those banning firearms.

Dont care if it is a zoo, business, gov building...

Better have some means of securing the area and be ready to accept liability when shit goes wrong.

And states like California that want to pass laws for gun owner liability insurance better be ready to get smacked down.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I put this also in the VA thread:

Will the SCOTUS ruling give us better legal standing to void the jurisdictional preemption power that was granted in 2020?

The Thomas opinion indicates that it is "settled" that places like polling places and courthouses "were 'sensitive places' where arms carrying could be prohibited consistent with the Second Amendment." And courts can analogize to simliar sensitive places, he adds.

On the other hand, Thomas adds, "expanding the category of 'sensitive places' simply to all places of public congregation that are not isolated from law enforcement defines the category of 'sensitive places" far too broadly."

In this case, Thomas explains, nothing in the Second Amendment distinguishes between home and public "with respect to the right to keep and bear arms."

So carry bans in entire cities or states is no longer lawful.  What about military installations?

Will be considered sensitive areas is my guess.

Secured areas banning lawful carry should imply that the security of those entering is the responsibility of those banning firearms.

Dont care if it is a zoo, business, gov building...

Better have some means of securing the area and be ready to accept liability when shit goes wrong.

And states like California that want to pass laws for gun owner liability insurance better be ready to get smacked down.

Exactly. Disarm people and then you are responsible for their reasonable safety. Fail in that task and you are liable.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Oneida County, NY residents, come on down:
New York: "[Oneida County’s Assistant Pistol Licensing Officer Dan Sullivan] says all of the current sporting licenses in the county will automatically become unrestricted."
View Quote

https://twitter.com/gunpolicy/status/1540308375661150210
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
New York: "[Oneida County’s Assistant Pistol Licensing Officer Dan Sullivan] says all of the current sporting licenses in the county will automatically become unrestricted."

C'mon MASS... man up
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:52:13 AM EDT
[#8]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They addressed this stating that unless the government could prove that an expansion of sensitive areas is justified, then any further expansion is unconstitutional. They even called out population density as NOT being justification.

I don't think they care.

Oh I don’t doubt it. I’m still stuck here for the time being. I think that the content of the article is chest thumping by her to make it look like she’s doing something. Having said that, I do agree with your point 100%

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It was broad in striking down "may issue" and definitively stating the right to carry arms in public, but I am disappointed the ruling affirmed the legality of licensing schemes.  That must be attacked and decimated in lawsuits ASAP.  

SCOTUS has already ruled the gov cannot license an enumerated right, such as free speech or worship, and must likewise eviscerate purchase permits, FOID cards, CCW licenses, etc.
View Quote

I'm not sure it upheld their legality so much as it didn't really dig into them. This basically said that you have to let people carry, you must issue permits if thats the system you use instead of denying them for no reason, amd you can't restrict so many areas from carry so as to make it practically impossible.

They even tilted their hand that permit schemed are inclined to be abused, and since abusing permit schemes is what all of these politicians are planning to do, I can see SCOTUS taking away that toy from government if they aren't able to keep from abusing it (they won't be able to) in a future case.

IANAL again, but I don't see this as upholding the requirement for permits; I see it as an increment towards getting rid of them.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#10]
So question?
What happens if/when the SCOTUS sends the Cali AWB back down to the 9th and says look here assholes, do it right and the 9th still rules that AWB are legal?
Does it get fast tracked back to the SCOTUS or does it have to be retried all over again?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to be that Thomas, more or less, demanded to write this decision.

View Quote

It was his epitaph to Scalia
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:22:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/hes_right_you_know-328.jpg

Rob being elected governor would be the best things that’s happened to NYS in over a century
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

She is wrong. You can yell fire in a crowded theater if there is a fire.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She went down the road of “Even the first amendment is restricted.  You can’t yell fire in a crowded theater.  Why shouldn’t the second have restrictions, too.” (Not verbatim, but close)

When someone starts with that argument, all credibility goes out the window.  Not that she had any to start with, of course.

She is wrong. You can yell fire in a crowded theater if there is a fire.

You can yell it if there isn't a fire. It's a long debunked trope that the uninformed and morons trot out to sound like the know something.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It was broad in striking down "may issue" and definitively stating the right to carry arms in public, but I am disappointed the ruling affirmed the legality of licensing schemes.  That must be attacked and decimated in lawsuits ASAP.  

SCOTUS has already ruled the gov cannot license an enumerated right, such as free speech or worship, and must likewise eviscerate purchase permits, FOID cards, CCW licenses, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The victor was already basically known however I don't think anyone anticipated the broad scope of the majority's ruling.  I think most court watchers anticipated, as has been normal in the Roberts era, a narrowly tailored opinion.  Instead we got a giant present from Clarence Thomas.  I love that man.

"the ruling affirmed the legality of licensing schemes."

Why do people keep saying this?

It's like arguing that the Federalist Papers are law because they were written by the same people that worked on the Constitution.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:34:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

SCOTUS could point to Bliss v Commonwealth, where the KY Supreme Court struck down the legislature's attempt to ban open carry, because it was already illegal to carry concealed.

As the KY court put it, you could ban one or other, but an outright ban on carrying a weapon in any method is unconstitutional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats NYers...now watch them just straight up deny pistol permits across the board

Yup. They'll just pass a law removing CCW permits completely.

Based on this decision, it would be unconstitutional. Every state has some type of CCW. Illinois has very strict requirements but you can get one. The most they could do is copy Illinois. This whole case was about it being impossible for the average Jane to get a license. Pulling all licenses would be thrown out in a heartbeat.

How would it be unconstitutional?

States aren't required to issue permits.

SCOTUS could point to Bliss v Commonwealth, where the KY Supreme Court struck down the legislature's attempt to ban open carry, because it was already illegal to carry concealed.

As the KY court put it, you could ban one or other, but an outright ban on carrying a weapon in any method is unconstitutional.

Thomas did in the opinion (Pg 51 of the PDF)...

Kentucky, meanwhile, went one step further—the State Supreme Court invalidated a concealed-carry prohibition. See Bliss v. Commonwealth, 12 Ky. 90 (1822).
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup, but they didn't.  Giving states a way out at this time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Congrats NYers...now watch them just straight up deny pistol permits across the board

Based on this decision, it would be unconstitutional. Every state has some type of CCW. Illinois has very strict requirements but you can get one. The most they could do is copy Illinois. This whole case was about it being impossible for the average Jane to get a license. Pulling all licenses would be thrown out in a heartbeat.

Yes they did bring up Bliss... (pg 51 of the PDF)

Kentucky, meanwhile, went one step further—the State Supreme Court invalidated a concealed-carry prohibition. See Bliss v. Commonwealth, 12 Ky. 90 (1822).
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#17]
In one of my wet dreams, getting a license to vote would be on the table.  Of course, sea levels would rise, but then again, the roads would be clear of ice.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:38:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice. I'm slowly making my way through the opinion.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:39:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Everybody asking a zillion questions to the tune of, "does this mean X or y," unless it explicitly answers your question than the answer is we'll see through further litigation.

I live in Upstate, NY. I already had an unrestricted carry permit. My permit however was not valid in NYC under the Sullivan Act. Meanwhile, a carry permit for NYC was valid statewide. This disparity existed for a century. Can I now carry in NYC? The answer should be YES, however, as I don't believe they specifically addressed that in the ruling, I'm going with NO. But the ruling is the basis to challenge the Sullivan Act under equal protection and disparate treatment of residents of the same state. A NYC permit is still a state permit, just issued by NYPD instead of a Supreme Court judge.

Now here is where it gets interesting. Can NYC deny me a permit if I applied. I'd argue no as I no longer need to justify a need for a permit. NYC might say I do not have a residence, so the question of possession within and outside my home is irrelevant. Again, it will likely take another court case.

Great decision, but I wish they could have taken it further to address sub-jurisdictions within a state that impose restrictions that exceed state requirements. Hell I wish they just said constitutional carry was a thing, and it applied anywhere in the nation regardless of residence. But I digress.
View Quote

But the ruling did specifically say it invalidated Sullivan.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There's a write up over on another site that bring up a good point.  Roberts, being the Chief Justice and in the majority,  would get to decide who writes an opinion and he chose to assign the opinion to Thomas.  Very interesting development.

This is interesting.

I suspect it more like Thomas told him "I'm writing this motherfucker or else I tell everyone what really caused you to change your mind on the obamacare ruling"
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 9:49:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Disagree based on this ruling.  They never addressed if states just stop issuing permits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way SCOTUS said you can carry without a permit. That would be on the level of constitutional carry.
They did say verbatim even shall issue states can be challenged if overly prohibitive. So NJ just deleting the permitting system entirely to prevent carry would rapidly be challenged and found to be contradictory to the thrust of this ruling.

Disagree based on this ruling.  They never addressed if states just stop issuing permits.

You mean except the main thrust of the whole decision; that a state cannot wholesale ban carry outside the home? The decision made it crystal clear that they cannot do it. So, if a state stops issuing permits and has laws prohibiting carry outside the home, that state would be in clear and direct violation of this ruling.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Thank you President Trump, Speaker McConnell (even if you are a spineless goon otherwise), and Ruth Bader Ginsburg (for being too damned proud to give up when you could have).

Same goes for the just-breaking news on Roe. God be praised!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You mean except the main thrust of the whole decision; that a state cannot wholesale ban carry outside the home? The decision made it crystal clear that they cannot do it. So, if a state stops issuing permits and has laws prohibiting carry outside the home, that state would be in clear and direct violation of this ruling.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No way SCOTUS said you can carry without a permit. That would be on the level of constitutional carry.
They did say verbatim even shall issue states can be challenged if overly prohibitive. So NJ just deleting the permitting system entirely to prevent carry would rapidly be challenged and found to be contradictory to the thrust of this ruling.

No permit?  Then it's constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Kick ass!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Attorney here. Read entire thing. I'm already familiar with constitutional firearms law. Tried to hit the highlights here:

NYSRPA v Bruen, 06/23/2022

-6-3 along party lines, authored by Thomas. Alito, Kavanaugh, and Barrett each filed their own concurrences.

-Intro points out the distinction of shall-issue “objective criteria” and may-issue “special need/discretionary” licensing to carry

Part I: Factual and Procedural Background

-Part I A describes NY licensing laws and discusses shall issue/may issue distinction in other states. All may issues have been upheld by Courts of Appeals except DCs
-Part I B describes underlying case facts, that is, the Plaintiffs were denied LTC for self defense
-Part I C describes Defendants and procedural history, COA affirmed case dismissal based on prior Kachalsky case that held NY’s may issue was “substantially related to the achievement of an important governmental interest” (i.e. intermediate scrutiny)

Part II: Review of 2A law

-Part II Intro recognizes COAs have “coalesced around a ‘two-step’ framework combining history with means-end scrutiny. SCOTUS declines that approach and follows Heller, instead adopting a national historical tradition test and the “unqualified command” of the 2A
-Part II A discusses the 2-step test: 1) Is the regulated conduct within the historical scope of the right then 2) if so, analyze if the law comes to the core of the 2a and how severe it is (aka, does it infringe the right). Then if it does infringe, apply a scrutiny (varies by court, strict or intermediate).
-Part II B Intro says the 2-step test is 1 step too many. Says Step 1 is consistent with Heller history analysis, but scrutiny analysis is not supported.
-Part II B 1: Reviews Heller which found 2A guarantees individual right to keep and bear and performed historical analysis for the scope of the right. Reiterates limits, i.e. dangerous and unusual.
-Part II B 2: Notes Heller and McDonald expressly rejected interest balancing (aka scrutiny tests), reiterates the 2A standard is When the 2A plain text covers individual conduct, the conduct is presumptively protected, and a government regulation must then justify regulation by analyzing historical tradition.
-Part II C: Compares 2A to 1A, similar analysis, compares to 6A, establishment clause. Footnote notes that judges can rely on party presentation in adversarial system
Notes that courts employing scrutiny often defer to legislature, which is inappropriate in this context
-Part II D: Discusses how historical analysis will work,, i.e. analogizing, e.g. if a modern problem existed in the past and was not addressed by the modern laws at issue, will not be consistent with 2A; notes won’t always be so easy to perform historical analysis due to “unprecedented societal concerns or dramatic technological changes”; notes 2A applies to modern arms too
oAs example, assumes “sensitive places” doctrine is settled/constitutional (e.g. schools, polling places)

Part III: Application of 2A law to case

-Part III A: 2A generally protects carrying handguns publicly for self-defense
-Part III B: But what about discretionary prohibition on carry? Discusses how to perform historical analysis; pre-constitution laws that are longheld matter more than one-off/obsolete laws, and post-constitution laws inconsistent with original meaning cannot overcome the text; notes 2A applies to NY state due to 14A, but has same scope as applied to FedGov, which is pegged to public understanding at time of of BoR adoption in 1791;
oNotes historically right was subject to well-defined restrictions on intent of carry, manner of carry, and exceptional circumstances, but not broad restriction. NY failed to meet burden justifying prohibition.
-Part III B 1: English common law is not 100% adopted in America, must be looked at in context at time of constitution adoption; reviews Defendant historical arguments (Statute of Northampton);
-Part III B 2: Continues reviewing Defendant historical arguments; even if handguns were “dangerous and unusual” during colonial period, they are unquestionably in common use today; carrying with intent to terrify vs carrying in general, concealed vs open carry, pocket pistols;
-Part III B 3: post-ratification historical review; terror vs peaceable carry, concealed vs open; overall view was carry could not be prohibited; surety statute discussion; none of the laws surveyed approach NY’s restrictive law
-Part III B 4: reviews the time of the 14A adoption, notes that SCOTUS Chief Justice recognized right to carry anywhere if black people were citizens (Dred Scott case); describes subsequent abuses and attempts to prevent black people from having guns, but black people used guns for self defense; reviews reconstruction era laws
-Part III B 5: Late 19th century is less relevant when it contradicts earlier evidence; will not base 2A interpretation on law in single state or city or temporary territorial laws that contradicts overwhelming weight; some restrictions were upheld if army revolvers exempted
oConclusion of analysis: NY did not meet its burden, history does not support general carry prohibition or special need demonstration

Part IV: Conclusion

-2A is not a 2nd class right, other amendments don’t have special need requirements, therefore, NY proper cause requirement violates 2A. Reverse

Alito Concurrence:

Concurred in order to respond to some dissent comments.
“Much of the dissent seems designed to obscure the spe¬cific question that the Court has decided”
The dissent cites irrelevant statistics about guns
The dissent is one-sided
Like that dissent in Heller, the real thrust of today’s dissent is that guns are bad and that States and local jurisdictions should be free to restrict them essentially as they see fit.3 That argument was rejected in Heller, and while the dissent protests that it is not rearguing Heller, it proceeds to do just that. See post, at 25–28.

Kavanaugh Concurrence:

Underscores 2 points:
1)Bruen case does not affect shall-issue licensing regimes.  Seems to suggest shall-issue licensing is constitutional.
2)Reiterates Heller/McDonald

Barrett Concurrence:

Discusses unresolved methodological points: 1) manner of considering postratification practice, 2) interpretation during ratification or reconstruction

Dissent (Breyer):

Wants evidentiary record on the proper cause standard in practice (this was from MTD dismissal)
Cites several statistics regarding gun violence/harm
Some historical analysis, basically says it is confusing, so should not rely exclusively on it.
View Quote

Excellent. Thank you.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 10:40:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This has to be the best I’ve felt under the Biden regime. It was a great result and gives freedom loving Americans a path forward to fight.
View Quote

Agreed.

Basically, this has been the "long game approach" by the court:

Heller in 2008 affirmed the 2nd Amendment was an individual right. Big win overall, but it was mostly a building block to start on.

McDonald in 2010 was another big win because it incorporated the 2nd Amendment to the states. Again, its value in the immediate sense was limited, but it was vitally important nonetheless.

Bruen in 2022 is yet another big win, maybe bigger and broader in scope than the previous two decisions in that it basically affirms the right to carry firearms outside the home and on one's person, but it also goes further by setting a new, very tough standard for laws that infringe upon the right(s) contained in the 2nd Amendment, a standard that should be appropriate given the wording of the 2nd, but one that nobody was expecting to get. Well, we got it.

In my opinion, these three decisions are the firm foundation for 2nd Amendment (and the Bill of Rights as a whole), but the dagger that kills the monster that is gun control hasn't happened  yet, and it better happen soon, given Thomas' age and other considerations. The court as it is currently constructed is tailor made for such a decision, and we really need that next one to drive the dagger in.

I'm not sure if we could get semi-auto and magazine protection in the same decision, but if we did, that would do it. If it was one or the other, I'm not sure which is more important or has the easiest path. Other people more knowledgeable than me would be able to figure that out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:46:51 AM EDT
[#27]
While reading through the courts decision, there are some amazing gems in it.

Found in SCOTUS brief
Fortunately, the Founders created a Constitution and a Second Amendment “intended to endure for ages to come, and consequently, to be adapted to the various crises of human affairs.”
McCulloch v. Maryland, 4 Wheat. 316, 415 (1819)

I even found some comical items.

To begin, respondents and their amici point to several medieval English regulations from as early as 1285 that they say indicate a longstanding tradition of restricting the public carry of firearms. See 13 Edw. 1, 102. The most prominent is the 1328 Statute of Northampton (or Statute), passed shortly after Edward II was deposed by force of arms and his son, Edward III, took the throne of a kingdom where “tendency to turmoil and rebellion was everywhere appar- ent throughout the realm.”

The Statute’s apparent focus on armor and, perhaps, weapons like launcegays makes sense given that armor and lances were generally worn or carried only when one in- tended to engage in lawful combat or as most early violations of the Statute show to breach the peace.

So, New York is looking to ban me from going to see the king with body armor and carrying a 10 foot long lance!

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@voodoo3dfx

Several times during the course of the opinion Thomas discussed the historical record showing that states could/did ban concealed carry, but that for those laws to stand they had to allow open carry: i.e. they could not ban both open and concealed carry, there had to be some mechanism for a person to go armed in public.
The court definitively settled that argument.

Similarly to all of the people (like the mayor of NYC) saying that they'll just make all public areas "sensitive areas", which Thomas specifically rejected in this case.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Agreed.

Basically, this has been the "long game approach" by the court:

Heller in 2008 affirmed the 2nd Amendment was an individual right. Big win overall, but it was mostly a building block to start on.

McDonald in 2010 was another big win because it incorporated the 2nd Amendment to the states. Again, its value in the immediate sense was limited, but it was vitally important nonetheless.

Bruen in 2022 is yet another big win, maybe bigger and broader in scope than the previous two decisions in that it basically affirms the right to carry firearms outside the home and on one's person, but it also goes further by setting a new, very tough standard for laws that infringe upon the right(s) contained in the 2nd Amendment, a standard that should be appropriate given the wording of the 2nd, but one that nobody was expecting to get. Well, we got it.

In my opinion, these three decisions are the firm foundation for 2nd Amendment (and the Bill of Rights as a whole), but the dagger that kills the monster that is gun control hasn't happened  yet, and it better happen soon, given Thomas' age and other considerations. The court as it is currently constructed is tailor made for such a decision, and we really need that next one to drive the dagger in.

I'm not sure if we could get semi-auto and magazine protection in the same decision, but if we did, that would do it. If it was one or the other, I'm not sure which is more important or has the easiest path. Other people more knowledgeable than me would be able to figure that out.
View Quote

Don't forget Caetano which held: "the Second Amendment extends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding". It also rebuffs the "dangerous and unusual" precedent as inconsistent with Heller. The third thing it did was expand 2A protected arms to those not suitable for military use, which could be used to help overturn Miller.

It was not an earth shattering decision but much like Heller and McDonald, an important step on the path as it can be argued that AR15's and even machine guns are protected arms.

In some ways Caetano could be the lynchpin for arguing future cases
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Found in SCOTUS brief
Fortunately, the Founders created a Constitution and a Second Amendment “intended to endure for ages to come, and consequently, to be adapted to the various crises of human affairs.”

To begin, respondents and their amici point to several medieval English regulations from as early as 1285 that they say indicate a longstanding tradition of restricting the public carry of firearms. See 13 Edw. 1, 102. The most prominent is the 1328 Statute of Northampton (or Statute), passed shortly after Edward II was deposed by force of arms and his son, Edward III, took the throne of a kingdom where “tendency to turmoil and rebellion was everywhere appar- ent throughout the realm.”

The Statute’s apparent focus on armor and, perhaps, weapons like launcegays makes sense given that armor and lances were generally worn or carried only when one in- tended to engage in lawful combat or as most early violations of the Statute show to breach the peace.

So, New York is looking to ban me from going to see the king with body armor and carrying a 10 foot long lance!
View Quote

I was a little concerned when I read how the opinion dealt with the Statute of Northampton.

The opinion basically discounts on the statute on two grounds:
1)  That the statute as enforced really is about going armed to the terror of the people.  This is the same thing we dealt with for open carry:  open carry is legal, brandishing/intimidating/causing a terror to a "reasonable person" is not generally legal.  The left argues that any presence of guns is terrifying but I think we can work past this one.
2)  That the statute was really about banning the arms and armor of armored knights (mail and long lances) meant for war.  The opinion emphasized that small sidearm type weapons like daggers were widely carried and used.  If we reason by modern analogy, I think one could easily make the comparison that while pistols carried as sidearms for personal defense are protected, long guns (and potentially carrying them while kitted up) are not protected.  The modern analogue to a knight's lance is probably a rifle (although one could try to make the argument that the "true" analogue to a lance is a heavy individually carried weapon like an anti-tank weapon).

Its a good opinion overall for us but there is some grey space there that could be problematic in the future.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Found in SCOTUS brief
Fortunately, the Founders created a Constitution and a Second Amendment "intended to endure for ages to come, and consequently, to be adapted to the various crises of human affairs."

To begin, respondents and their amici point to several medieval English regulations from as early as 1285 that they say indicate a longstanding tradition of restricting the public carry of firearms. See 13 Edw. 1, 102. The most prominent is the 1328 Statute of Northampton (or Statute), passed shortly after Edward II was deposed by force of arms and his son, Edward III, took the throne of a kingdom where "tendency to turmoil and rebellion was everywhere appar- ent throughout the realm."

The Statute's apparent focus on armor and, perhaps, weapons like launcegays makes sense given that armor and lances were generally worn or carried only when one in- tended to engage in lawful combat or as most early violations of the Statute show to breach the peace.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/db/46/db/db46db08989c69304702c0c92de2fa0d.jpg
View Quote
I guess we could argue that we're always prepared for lawful combat.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I was a little concerned when I read how the opinion dealt with the Statute of Northampton.

1)  That the statute as enforced really is about going armed to the terror of the people.  This is the same thing we dealt with for open carry:  open carry is legal, brandishing/intimidating/causing a terror to a "reasonable person" is not generally legal.  The left argues that any presence of guns is terrifying but I think we can work past this one.
2)  That the statute was really about banning the arms and armor of armored knights (mail and long lances) meant for war.  The opinion emphasized that small sidearm type weapons like daggers were widely carried and used.  If we reason by modern analogy, I think one could easily make the comparison that while pistols carried as sidearms for personal defense are protected, long guns (and potentially carrying them while kitted up) are not protected.  The modern analogue to a knight's lance is probably a rifle (although one could try to make the argument that the "true" analogue to a lance is a heavy individually carried weapon like an anti-tank weapon).

Its a good opinion overall for us but there is some grey space there that could be problematic in the future.
View Quote
Trannys terrify me, they should remain concealed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

It begs the question - How useful was a lance as a defensive weapon when someone was walking around carrying the fucking thing?

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:45:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

GOOD MAN.

Posting again for those that aren't tired of winning.
https://secure.anedot.com/firearmspolicycoalition/shadow_systems?sc=joingaw

This is just a sample of what ready to go in the 9th:

Rhode v. Becerra (Ammo Sales only through FFL) - Stayed Pending Duncun (9th Circuit)
Duncan V Bonta - (10+ Magazine ban) - Distributed for Conference and petitioned to be held until NYSRPA.

Miller v. Bonta (Assault Weapon Ban): Held for Rupp (9th Circuit)
Rupp v Becerra (Assault Weapon Ban): Held for NYSRPA
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

This is not unlike many shall issue states right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Before this ruling I would have said right after the Cubs won the World Series two years in a row. Now I think you it will take a year or so. They will require a day or two of training, finger prints and a live fire test. I expect They will follow the IL standard I just described. It will only take them 4-6 months to issue the license and will cost you $250+ for the processing. They will have many limitations on where you can carry like churches, public parks, mass transit and highway rest stops. We all know how safe an interstate rest stop is after dark.

This is not unlike many shall issue states right now.

@RattleCanAR

Illinois' CCW training is the most rigorous of the shall-issue states - 16 hours of classroom training, followed by passing a live fire test, which doesn't count towards the 16 hours.

I agree with @Bat15 - I think revised NYS/NYC requirements will look close to Illinois'.

They will also be slow as fuck and routinely blow past their own deadlines, just like Illinois does.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:57:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Before everyone gets callouses from Dutch Ruddering each other.  Let this sink in.  

These feral socialists aren't going to give in, in the least bit.  Currently under NYS law a permit has to be issued or denied within 6 months and if denied it must be for cause related to the specific applicant.  They can't just say "sorry we are super backed up."  Like communism, it looks good on paper, but in practice in many counties the wait can be 18 months to two years.  Why, because the licensing officers (mostly Judges, but in the downstate area technocrats of the Police Departments) know that the applicant's only recourse is to sue the licensing officer in an Article 78 proceeding, which they know most people don't have the money to do.  Many attorneys in NY charge 4-8 grand as a retainer fee for an Article 78 and that isn't an all in amount, just the money needed to get the ball rolling.  Furthermore, even if you spend the money to file your Article 78, Judges, who make up the majority of the "licensing officers" in NYS are immune for their official acts via absolute immunity.  Which means, even if you were to be successful, you can't recover money damages from them.  The feral anti-gun Dems know this and know you aren't going to be able to recover.  

As a recap, great ruling by SCOTUS, not so sure NYS will GAF and for the lesser state actors (employees of the Police Departments in downstate NY who issue permits) even if they are successfully sued for violating a person's 2A rights, they generally don't care as they almost always are indemnified by their municipal employers and the money isn't coming out of their pockets.  

IMO, NYSRPA should be sensitive to the general F around the waves of new applicants in NY will get and be prepared to join these plaintiffs in class action lawsuits on a per county basis until they bankrupt individual counties via successful 1983 actions.  Maybe then (in 4 or more years of 1983 litigation per suit) other municipalities will start to follow the law the SCOTUS handed down yesterday.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It begs the question - How useful was a lance as a defensive weapon when someone was walking around carrying the fucking thing?

View Quote

I'd say very useful if you're attacked by someone on horseback.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Seems so rare to get an actual win of any kind at this level, this is a happy day.   Hopefully this plays out the way it should over the coming months, but I expect unconstitutional shenanigans by blue states will occur nonetheless.
View Quote

People don't think winning a culture be like that, but it do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's really interesting.

Is he going to start his own law firm?

Is Kirkland going woke or getting pressure from woke clients?

Trying to up their ESG score?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:41:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

But the ruling did specifically say it invalidated Sullivan.
View Quote

I thought the Sullivan Act was still in place?
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:43:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Let's all take a moment to count our blessings that the extremist Merrick Garland is not a member of the Supreme Court.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:54:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Let's all take a moment to count our blessings that the extremist Merrick Garland is not a member of the Supreme Court.
View Quote

I'm old enough to remember when the media called him a ModerateTM.
If you're a media democrat, moderate = a cut and paste of their elitist liberal coastal views.

The guy's an extremist hack, even for our extreme time.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It does not apply to Chicago, Illinois is a shall issue state. It will take a separate case to overturn some of the restrictions like no CCW on the CTA .

I would like to know how the unmanned rest stops on the interstate are sensitive areas? If they are sensitive areas, where are the cops? A phone on a poll with a blue light is not high security.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When does this apply to Kalifornia, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Chicago, etc?

It does not apply to Chicago, Illinois is a shall issue state. It will take a separate case to overturn some of the restrictions like no CCW on the CTA .

I would like to know how the unmanned rest stops on the interstate are sensitive areas? If they are sensitive areas, where are the cops? A phone on a poll with a blue light is not high security.

@Bat15

It will probably apply to the non-residents of all but five states attempting to seek a non-resident license.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 1:58:10 PM EDT
[#44]
I believe this ruling will be way beyond ccw.  In California, we cannot have a gun in our car, even locked, unless going to a range etc…

Would be great for this bs to go away.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I believe this ruling will be way beyond ccw.  In California, we cannot have a gun in our car, even locked, unless going to a range etc…

Would be great for this bs to go away.
View Quote

For at least the carry pistol, it definitely puts a big hole into that.

Now the whole,

"Pull them over
Hassle them about a (legal) gun in the car
Possibly cuff them
Possibly have 17 cars show up
After hassling them, release them and tell them they did something wrong but never list what "

Phenomenon gets knee-capped.
If they're allowed to have a legally owned gun in the car, theeeeeeeeeeeeeen tough shit.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:20:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Thank you President Trump, Speaker McConnell (even if you are a spineless goon otherwise), and Ruth Bader Ginsburg (for being too damned proud to give up when you could have).

Same goes for the just-breaking news on Roe. God be praised!
View Quote

Don't forget to thank Hildog!
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#47]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think they care.

Gonna be fun to watch these people get bitch slapped in court....

"But when asked if the goal of the buffer zones and density requirements would be to again effective ban widespread handgun ownership in the five boroughs, “an effective citywide gun ban blanket,” Adams says that it was. "

Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Before everyone gets callouses from Dutch Ruddering each other.  Let this sink in.  
View Quote

OK I had to look that up and the fact you knew it off the top of your head is .....odd.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 2:42:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

These feral socialists aren't going to give in, in the least bit.  Currently under NYS law a permit has to be issued or denied within 6 months and if denied it must be for cause related to the specific applicant.  They can't just say "sorry we are super backed up."  Like communism, it looks good on paper, but in practice in many counties the wait can be 18 months to two years.  Why, because the licensing officers (mostly Judges, but in the downstate area technocrats of the Police Departments) know that the applicant's only recourse is to sue the licensing officer in an Article 78 proceeding, which they know most people don't have the money to do.  Many attorneys in NY charge 4-8 grand as a retainer fee for an Article 78 and that isn't an all in amount, just the money needed to get the ball rolling.  Furthermore, even if you spend the money to file your Article 78, Judges, who make up the majority of the "licensing officers" in NYS are immune for their official acts via absolute immunity.  Which means, even if you were to be successful, you can't recover money damages from them.  The feral anti-gun Dems know this and know you aren't going to be able to recover.  

As a recap, great ruling by SCOTUS, not so sure NYS will GAF and for the lesser state actors (employees of the Police Departments in downstate NY who issue permits) even if they are successfully sued for violating a person's 2A rights, they generally don't care as they almost always are indemnified by their municipal employers and the money isn't coming out of their pockets.  

IMO, NYSRPA should be sensitive to the general F around the waves of new applicants in NY will get and be prepared to join these plaintiffs in class action lawsuits on a per county basis until they bankrupt individual counties via successful 1983 actions.  Maybe then (in 4 or more years of 1983 litigation per suit) other municipalities will start to follow the law the SCOTUS handed down yesterday.
View Quote

Wasn't a court clerk slapped around for not issuing a gay marriage permit?  Same approach should be used.

https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-out/kentucky-clerk-who-refused-gay-marriage-licenses-can-be-sued-n1046306
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top