BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Not the first time aviators/pilots have chosen to ride it in, or rode it in too far, trying to avoid casualties on the ground.  Had an A-7 do it here in the Atlanta area back in the early '90's, stayed with the plane until they cleared an apartment complex and then ejected too low to survive (it may have rolled, it's been a while).  The military has procedures and improvements trying to reduce the risks of military aviation, but it's always been a dangerous endeavor, which is why the claims that Bush "avoided the dangers of Vietnam" by going to be a pilot in a VERY unforgiving aircraft annoy me.
View Quote

I remember that from when I was a kid
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If it went straight in, it was possibly a conscience decision on the part of the aircrew.  Catastrophic mechanical failure with seconds to react leaves two options.  Either try to have a controlled crash by gliding and hopefully cause minimum death and destruction on the ground, or point the nose straight down and keep the deaths to the absolute minimum possible.

Definitely a no win situation for the aircrew.  May God comfort their families in this time of loss.

Fair winds and following seas.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So they chose not to eject to save lives. Real men right there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If it went straight in, it was possibly a conscience decision on the part of the aircrew.  Catastrophic mechanical failure with seconds to react leaves two options.  Either try to have a controlled crash by gliding and hopefully cause minimum death and destruction on the ground, or point the nose straight down and keep the deaths to the absolute minimum possible.

Definitely a no win situation for the aircrew.  May God comfort their families in this time of loss.

I recall a story about a blue angels pilot who kept a piece of paper with him that said, “them before me”.  Meaning their lives come first.  He was killed a few years back.

There may or may not be more to this or a better known version or whatever, still a noble mindset.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I recall a story about a blue angels pilot who kept a piece of paper with him that said, “them before me”.  Meaning their lives come first.  He was killed a few years back.

There may or may not be more to this or a better known version or whatever, still a noble mindset.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:15:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn.

Probably an F18.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a shitty profession at times.  No better way to go.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:21:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Damn.

Probably an F18.
View Quote

Nope.

T-6b
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope.

T-6b
View Quote
A T-6 just doesnt go down.  Damn!

Prayers inbound!
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Prayers to the families
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Condolences to the Families... RIP Shipmates...
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/10/23/two-service-members-killed-in-crash-of-navy-t-6b-trainer-aircraft/
Naval Air Forces spokesman Cmdr. Zachary Harrell said the flight took off from Florida’s Naval Air Station Whiting Field, which lies about a 90-minute drive northeast of the crash area.

(The crew may not have been Navy, Whiting Field trains Navy, Marine, Air Force, Coast Guard and Foreign Military aircrew.)

https://www.wkrg.com/baldwin-county/authorities-plane-crashes-in-foley/
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 10:43:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Well crap.

May God bless them and their families with peace and consolation.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
So very sorry for those who lost their lives.  Thanks to them for serving the USA and heartfelt prayers
for their families to survive this tragedy that has come to them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:15:45 PM EDT
[#16]
224kts @ 7300’ then started a descent. Sped up to 246kts by 5300’, then started dropping speed as the descent continued.

Last report of 83kts @ 3700’ is very strange, particularly with no ejection.

Been talking with another instructor from the base and he’s having a hard time wrapping his head around it.

Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:16:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Prayers inbound!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

T-6b

Prayers inbound!

Especially with a prop not spinning
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#18]

Rest in Peace

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Eternal Father, Strong To Save - Navy Hymn - US Naval Academy Chapel
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#20]
That fucking sucks.
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 1:50:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:15:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:18:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Nope.

T-6b
View Quote

Traveling didn't read through the thread.
Damn.
Training accident?
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2020 2:27:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Godspeed.

Link Posted: 10/24/2020 5:08:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#27]
My youngest is an Air Force T-6 IP.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#28]
One of the crew was US Coast Guard.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:27:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Damn, rest in peace.

Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:16:29 AM EDT
[#31]
RIP Morgan. There is no higher calling, no greater honor, than to lay down your life in the pursuit of saving others.

Never met you, but you were in the pipeline, and part of the family.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:37:55 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Traveling didn't read through the thread.
Damn.
Training accident?
View Quote

Well, the T-6 is a TRAINER, so, you tell me.

I doubt they were doing offensive, defensive or intelligence missions in a T-6.  I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:52:10 AM EDT
[#33]

Came here to post this. I didn’t know her, but I bet my CO (LTJG recent academy grad) does.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:06:10 AM EDT
[#35]

A little background info - I've been out of that world long enough that I don't have any inside info, but I was stationed at Whiting three different times over my career, including flying T-6s 2015-17.

NAS Whiting Field is home to Training Wing Five, which has six squadrons. Three of them fly the T-6B Texan II for primary flight training, and three of them fly the TH-57B/C for advanced helicopter training.  All six train Navy, Marine and Coast Guard students, and are manned by instructors from those branches.  One of the T-6 squadrons also has some Air Force instructors.  

There are two general geographic locations used for the T-6 flights - one north of Whiting, in South Alabama, over Evergreen and Brewton; and one west of Pensacola, roughly Perdido Bay to Mobile Bay, and I-10 to the Gulf.  A flight would go out, pick a block in the working area, do the high work - basic aircraft control maneuvers, to include stalls and spins - and then move on to pattern work at one of the outlying fields.  

From what I've seen posted, this sounds like a contact flight, the first phase of training.  This could also have been an aerobatic flight, similar regime but add in loops, rolls, immelmanns, etc.  I have no idea what could have happened that would have precluded an ejection, so I'm not going to speculate here.  

Training is usually one of the safer segments of Naval Aviation.  Since I started in 1997, I can only remember four other incidents involving Whiting aircraft, and only two of them involved fatalities.  It's always in the back of your mind, but it always seems like it's a distant possibility.  Almost like, you carry a gun for defense, and you're ready to use it when needed, but you know you'll probably never have to pull it.  A mishap like this is a punch in the gut whenever it happens.  

US Navy file photo of a T-6:
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Well, the T-6 is a TRAINER, so, you tell me.

I doubt they were doing offensive, defensive or intelligence missions in a T-6.  I could be wrong.
View Quote

Could be on a cross country.
Could be ferrying the aircraft.
Could be doing a post maintenance FCF.

Or could be doing ACM training or something else.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 1:58:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Two females, which might be a first. Prayers out to the families and shipmates.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only saw the one ENS mentioned.  Who was the other?

Edit: nvmd. ENS Morgan Garrett and LT Rhiannon Ross.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/10/25/coast-guard-member-among-crew-killed-in-navy-plane-crash-in-residential-neighborhood/
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:21:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

U.S. Navy Lt. Rhiannon Ross, a 30-year-old instructor pilot, and U.S. Coast Guard Ensign Morgan Garrett, a 24-year-old student pilot, died. The Oct. 23 crash occurred in Foley, which is located near the Alabama shore about 30 miles west of Pensacola, Fla., around 5 p.m. local time, according to a Navy news release.

https://news.usni.org/2020/10/23/2-killed-in-navy-t-6b-texan-ii-trainer-crash-in-alabama
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#41]

My prayers are with the families of the crew.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Not the first time aviators/pilots have chosen to ride it in, or rode it in too far, trying to avoid casualties on the ground.  Had an A-7 do it here in the Atlanta area back in the early '90's, stayed with the plane until they cleared an apartment complex and then ejected too low to survive (it may have rolled, it's been a while).  The military has procedures and improvements trying to reduce the risks of military aviation, but it's always been a dangerous endeavor, which is why the claims that Bush "avoided the dangers of Vietnam" by going to be a pilot in a VERY unforgiving aircraft annoy me.
View Quote

When I was at Pax River, an air crew planted their jet into the skeet range vs risk the uncontrolled plane going into a populated part of the base.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Rest in Peace shipmates.
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:42:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Fuck, that's awful to hear
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 8:29:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Hearts out for their families and friends.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2020 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

When I was at Pax River, an air crew planted their jet into the skeet range vs risk the uncontrolled plane going into a populated part of the base.

Kharn
View Quote

Where my dad grew up in Bellaire, TX (1960's) an AF pilot rode his jet into a bayou between housing developments to keep from hitting civilians. Dad found a small data plate from the jet at the crash site after it had been cleaned up. He has kept it all these years and through his military career as a reminder of that pilot's selflessness.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top