Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/18/2023 8:42:09 PM EDT
I've replaced my share of three knob shower/tub knobs but never a single knob type.

Attachment Attached File

Plumber is telling my mom 1500 bucks cause he needs to bust out the back wall behind it in order to get access and replace it. Not move it mind you just swap for a new knob.

I mean I'm not retarded here right. I pull it off like any other knob, front first, and any big box stores is gonna have all the shit I need?

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Check for vids on youtube.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:48:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check for vids on youtube.
View Quote

That's what I'm doing to make sure but someone trying to talking her into knocking out a wall seems retarded
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
That center should pop out with a flat bladed screwdriver. Inside there should be a screw, then it looks like it'll be a   inch hex with set screw on a little dick that is part of the valve. Yes box store should have a knob that works for that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Hate to say it , but go in from the front and do a remodel. It's $1500 better spent but only if you can't buy new guts for it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a plumber, but if you're not swapping out the valve body itself, I can't see why you'd need to knock out the whole wall.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:53:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched a video on YT, and had no issue replacing mine.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:54:28 PM EDT
[#7]
That looks like a Delta I use to have and I replaced the valve only and put the old trim back on.

If you can still find the valve, you will need this tool to pull the valve.

Attachment Attached File

Edit:  if that is a Delta and are only replacing the valve, you can have this tool, let me know and I can mail it to you

Cartridge?? I may have my terminology wrong, I’m not a plumber
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:55:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I mean, I installed my shower valve and everything when I was redoing my entire bathroom, but them shits is like wizardry.  Terrible instructions, fucking annoying as shit to deal with.  He's not wrong that taking the back wall out could be necessary.  That said, literally 2 sq ft of drywall would need to be removed, and it could be patched and painted in like a single day, not a big deal at all.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#9]
If you’re just trying to replace the knob and trim plate then yes, easy simple job without any demo.  You should also be able to put a parts kit in it easily if the valve needs some rehab.  Demo only required if the plan to to completely replace the entire unit (like remove the valving completely from the piping and replace with 100% brand news parts)
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Need more information.

“Replace knob” does this mean the plastic knob itself, the valve insert, the whole fixture, etc?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
There's just a cartridge to replace on the inside from the front. Not saying that job can't go south but I don't believe the plumber.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:01:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you’re just trying to replace the knob and trim plate then yes, easy simple job without any demo.  You should also be able to put a parts kit in it easily if the valve needs some rehab.  Demo only required if the plan to to completely replace the entire unit (like remove the valving completely from the piping and replace with 100% brand news parts)
View Quote

That. Replace the cartridge. The knob. The flange. Caulk and f it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Need more information.

“Replace knob” does this mean the plastic knob itself, the valve insert, the whole fixture, etc?
View Quote

To the plumbing. Cartrage etc. What would require removal of a wall to do that in this scenario?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Did he give the reason for a whole tear out? I know you can change the guts on those but there may be a reason  he wants to do that.

It seems like more work than a plumber would want to get into with having to refinish it and what not. Unless he doesn’t have anything lined up and wants the money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]
If your just replacing the knob, pop the cover off and get out your #2 phillips. 2 minutes top, and thats with a beer break.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:06:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Is this not it essentially?

How to Replace a Shower Mixing Valve | This Old House
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:07:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Did he give the reason for a whole tear out? I know you can change the guts on those but there may be a reason  he wants to do that.

It seems like more work than a plumber would want to get into with having to refinish it and what not. Unless he doesn’t have anything lined up and wants the money.
View Quote

She's 75 lives 7 hours from her son  and just writes check's as she did ok for her self

ETA. She just told me. I got here two days ago. My dad is terminal so I'm here trying to make life better for her. It's a dickee situation but when she showed me something it gave me a project I can focus o
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
You're gonna want to be realllll fuckin careful removing that retaining nut.  

I usually cut them off with a dremel and replace.

Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive done a lot of residential plumbing.  What is wrong with it first?  It is a delta, a replacement cartridge and trim is less that $200.  Cartridge is around $50 and trim in the $100 range.  Both will make it function and look new.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

To the plumbing. Cartrage etc. What would require removal of a wall to do that in this scenario?
View Quote

Even if you have to replace the entire assembly, it CAN be done from the front of aesthetics aren’t primary concern.  

I cut back far enough to access the copper pipe, cut the assembly out, sweated in a new valve, then put an over sized cover on and waterproofed it.

It is a bathroom I will be doing a complete remodel on in a year and didn’t want to open up the wall due to tile.  

Attachment Attached File

The normal cover plate goes over this renovation plate which covers the hole in the wall from the front
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:10:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You're gonna want to be realllll fuckin careful removing that retaining nut.  

I usually cut them off with a dremel and replace.

https://terrylove.com/images/pic/delta-600-replace-06.jpg
View Quote

Soak the nut with PB blaster and let it sit for awhile.  Applying heat also helps.  Hold the valve behind the nut with a 2nd set of pliers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Easy fix.
Turn the water off before you start.
One screw under the know.
2 screws for the cover plate.
Depending on brand, channel locks to pull the cartridge.

There is a little trial and error to get the right tension on the cartridge nut.
Shouldn't take more than an hour.

Don't cheap out on off brand cartridges. Buy original.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Even if you have to replace the entire assembly, it CAN be done from the front of aesthetics aren’t primary concern.  

I cut back far enough to access the copper pipe, cut the assembly out, sweated in a new valve, then put an over sized cover on and waterproofed it.

It is a bathroom I will be doing a complete remodel on in a year and didn’t want to open up the wall due to tile.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169488/IMG_7240_png-2821308.JPG
The normal cover plate goes over this renovation plate which covers the hole in the wall from the front
View Quote

If you need a new valve and you do not have easy access like drywall behind the valve, then a remodel plate works great.  Don’t buy that piece of shit though.  Buy a moen posi temp valve and a moen remodel plate with trim.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#25]
PEERLESS
This handle should work
Amazon
Could be this style but I've mostly come across the ball type
same handle at home depot
No you don't have to open the wall. There is a hole on the bottom of the handle that accesses the Allen screw that holds it on. It's very easy.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:22:32 PM EDT
[#26]
If it is leaking, it might be a bad mixing valve. Look up the model and replace the guts.

supplyhouse.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169488/IMG_7240_png-2821308.JPG
View Quote

Push come to shove I could get this. Why they require busting out a wall is why I'm confused. What does the back side give you not in the front?
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If it is leaking, it might be a bad mixing valve. Look up the model and replace the guts.

supplyhouse.com
View Quote

My guess is the valve is shot
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:44:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Push come to shove I could get this. Why they require busting out a wall is why I'm confused. What does the back side give you not in the front?
View Quote

If you have access and drywall behind the shower valve, just cut an access panel and install that way.  Remodel plates look cheap and cost a whole lot more money than drywall.  Especially if it is in a closet.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 9:47:00 PM EDT
[#30]
That is a U. S. Brass/ Valley/Aqualine Valve. I would try to repair it with a repair kit. I used to sell faucets in another decade. If body isn’t ate up with corrosion, it should be pretty straightforward.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:03:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Mine has 2 valves behind the plate so I don't have to turn off the water main to swap cartridges. Internally the valve may need to be cleaned up before you install the cartridge with new o-rings.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#32]
That's a Valley not a Delta.  It's not a cartridge type valve, it contains several parts that will all need replaced.  It's kind of a POS and they're not made anymore. There's aftermarket parts but not much and none of it is good quality. They will buy you some time though.

Cutting the back wall and replacing the valve something new is likely your best option.

If it's plumbed with sweated copper you may be able to unsweat the valve from the front and pop in a Moen. Try not to burn the house down.

If it's plumbed in Galvanized good luck, that's a royal pain in the ass.

$1300 is steep to do that unless he's patching the drywall back and painting.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:05:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need more information.

He must be talking about replacing the whole unit with a different type.  For that, he might need more room for soldering, etc.  

Try just replacing the guts.   You might be pleasantly surprised.  Parts are available online, if not locally.   The Parts might even have a lifetime warranty/free replacement.   Its worth asking.
Link Posted: 5/18/2023 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Have replaced those types before. The latest was original to the house built in 1975. Remove plastic knob, chrome trim plate. Wrap with a small rag and spray the body threads with Kroil. Then try gently with a wrench, having another to stabilize the valve body. May have to apply some heat from a small propane torch or high temp heat gun, cycling hot to cold making sure you have proper just in case fire extinguisher.

Home Depot has quite an assortment of water valve inserts, and will be a good chance they have a match to yours.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 1:58:51 AM EDT
[#35]
One of easiest things to repair, considering it's plumping. I have the exact unit, I just replaced the 5th and last valve kit as I can't find a replacement anymore. Turn water off first and bleed down some pressure. I put one drop of silicon on the O rings. There is a set screw on the bottom of the plastic oval handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top