Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I figured I would come in to this thread and take the farmers side because I also have cows and shit happens, but how the fuck does he not have a fence? Even if it’s not required by law.

I can’t imagine getting so twisted up about my yard that I carried my neighbor to court.

I hope you can just talk to him and avoid any more trouble.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:44:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How about the neighbor builds his own fucking fence to keep HIS cows out of EVEYBODY ELSES business? Wrecking the neighbors yard, interrupting traffic, etc, etc, etc.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ask to the neighbor to go halfsies on a fence?

How about the neighbor builds his own fucking fence to keep HIS cows out of EVEYBODY ELSES business? Wrecking the neighbors yard, interrupting traffic, etc, etc, etc.

Depends on the laws of the state. My state, for example, is an open range state. Don't want cattle or sheep on your property? Better build a fence designed to keep them out.

That said, I'm sure OP can sue for damages
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Go do donuts on your neighbor's property and shit on his front lawn.

Turnabout is fair play.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#5]
You don't have a state posted so it's hard to give advice.

For example. Texas is an open-range state. The owner doesn't really have to control his cattle and you can't do anything about it other than put up a fence. He can claim ignorance about their trespassing. But...the county that we lease in has closed range rules. A fence was run through by illegals and then the neighbor's cows came onto our property. They wrecked havok...ate almost 10k in deer feed, broke pens and feeders and cameras, ruined roads, etc.

We called the owner but no answer. Then we called the sheriff and he came out and tried to contact the owner. After five days, they came out and impounded the cows. After a certain amount of time the cows were sold at auction. It really sucks for the owner but if you depend on cattle to make a living, keeping track of them shouldnt be done on a quarterly basis. He hates us now and has shot up our stands, knocked over feeders, etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Shouldn't this be like the previous thread about how if a neighbor has a fruit tree with branches intruding onto your property, the fruit that falls on your land is now in your legal possession?
Guy didn't keep the cow in, it's now on your land, free beef, except for butchering/processing cost.
Once or twice, maybe let it slide, after the 3rd time, yeah, burgers & steaks.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]
We’ve caught cows in the hog traps.  400 pounds of ground beef for a $6.50 bag of corn.  What a trade.

J/k.  We herd them back over to their side of the fence.  Living the country life.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:48:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
WHATFUCKINGSTATE????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
View Quote
People who don't post their state shouldn't be allowed to post whining threads.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We’ve caught cows in the hog traps.  400 pounds of ground beef for a $6.50 bag of corn.  What a trade.

J/k.  We herd them back over to their side of the fence.  Living the country life.
View Quote

Submit bill to the owner for your costs incurred.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My first option would be to ask them to Fix the yard.

Second option is getting an expensive landscaper to fix it and send them the bill. If they don't pay, take it to court.

Most importantly, your neighbors need a fence. Its hard to believe they have livestock and no way to contain them.
View Quote

This. Photos of damaged lawn. Photos of the cow in your yard.

I also can't figure why the guy has cattle without a fence.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#11]
The law can also vary by county. County stock laws may modify the statewide laws, and, to complicate it further, the county stock laws may be species specific.

Growing up, I always hated having to get up early on the weekend to help a neighbor or relative chase down an escaped cow(s).

Stupid cows! Watch from 5:30 to 6:30:

Anthony Clark - 1995 stand up
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Fuck that, it's his cow. He needs to control it. Neighbor should go 100% on the fence.
View Quote

Absolutely. The cow is his animal, his responsibility. It should be treated no different than a dog or a cat. It's not the animal's fault. It's the neighbor's problem.
The neighbor should cover the cost 100%.

If it were me, I would take the opportunity to fill my freezer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:50:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:51:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Nothingburger my ass, a friggin' cheeseburger is what I'm thinking.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Go do donuts on your neighbor's property and shit on his front lawn.

Turnabout is fair play.
View Quote

I like you. No homo.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:54:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Lock this fucking thread up till he says what state he is in.

For the love of fuck
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sounds like an opportunity to get some free range beef.
View Quote

Yup.  Give the dude one more warning and anything on your property is yours.  

Or get a fence.  Your choice.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:56:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Cattle in a wet yard can make a serious mess.....sounds like the neighbor owes you some landscaping.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:56:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I wonder if anyone has ever bear sprayed a cow?  I bet it wouldn't want to come back.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Run a hot wire along the boundary? He'll be the other neighbor's problem after that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:04:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
in many areas it is your responsibility to fence them out if you don't want them on your property and you can get in deep shit for harming other people's cattle for being on your property. Weird situation and laws but they were written during the times of the old west and cattle drives and haven't been changed.
View Quote

like where? I have not come across this where a property owner has to proactively protect their property from someone else's livestock.

(I'm just here to learn).

[answered]   https://nationalaglawcenter.org/state-compilations/fence-laws/
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Find out if you can sue and for how much. Pad the amount as much as you can then talk to the rancher. Tell them you are tired of the property damage and you won't go forward with the lawsuit if they will just build a fence. Just make sure they understand that you're trying to be reasonable and just want your property to stop being damaged.
The reason for padding the bill is to make it look cheaper to build a fence then get sued.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:05:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Unfortunately you likely are going to have to fence them out. Texas is a fence out state and I found that out when a neighbor a few properties over had cows getting into my hay field. Eventually he decided they were a pain in the ass and sold them all
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I wonder if anyone has ever bear sprayed a cow?  I bet it wouldn't want to come back.
View Quote

Cows are retarded....they'd be back within an hour.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#26]
He would already have his answer if he posted his state.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Cow?  Nope, haven't seen a cow come through here.

Hey, did I tell you I just got a new chest freezer the other day?
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I want to, but I don't need that kind of hassle.
View Quote

Perfect time of year bury the offal hang the beef in the shed in the cool weather for a couple weeks cut wrap enjoy
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Or he lives in NY or CA and is ashamed to admit it.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Yes, absolutely. 14 years ago a large bull got out. Almost got hit by 2 cars and got riled up, ran into my yard right - through a laundry line in the back - then tried to charge my 3.5yr old son who was playing outside. If I have to repeat myself, I'm wasting my time.
View Quote

Your wasting time by not posting the state (and county) where this is taking place.

The lack of state information has been pointed out numerous times in the thread. Either you have a very poor ability to read the responses or you're ignoring them.

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#31]
OP can't bother to post his state so I'm siding with his neighbor.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:10:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:11:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I had the same issue a few years ago, he never damaged anything tho.

It was hilarious to watch a young bull crawl under a chain link fence to come play with my dog.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/70066/007__2__JPG-2219536.jpg
View Quote

Except that's acow/heifer.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Got about a 20yr history with my farmer neighbor's cows getting out. No fence around his property. Usually it's a 1-2x/yr deal, the bull goes for a long walk around hte neighborhood, 2-3 cows follow, they almost get hit by cars, one time a local pd took a few shots at the bull that looked like it was going to charge another neighbor's kid, etc.

Most of the time a nothingburger, part of rural life. But, for the last month or so, they have a newer angus cow that is taking off on them every couple days and walks a loop through my yard. My yard basically looks like a damn pasture now, shit everywhere and 4-6" deep holes all over my soft backyard. I almost pulled on someone walking through my backyard the other night with a flashlight, turned out to be one of the farmer's family trying to chase the cow home. Through my backyard.

I don't want to be the guy that pulls up down there and causes trouble, but I've also been pretty helpful numerous times herding their cows back over to them and helping with traffic diversion/etc while they handle things. I am pretty pissed about my yard though. I enjoy working outside and put a bunch of time and money into trees and plants which the cows have no problem breaking(4 branches off a young apple tree), eating(everything) and shitting on(driveway + everything else).

What's my best course of action?

I live in the rural part of the county.
Also a farm kid.
The answer is obvious - fence them in.

The potential issue for your neighbor is that there is a history of his cows roaming and witnesses [you and probably others] who could testify to this.
Which makes it negligence if there ever would be an accident and the persons involved were injured or property lost.

I won't do it, but I do have a friend with a skid steer and when I saw my broken apple tree my first thought went to grabbing a rifle and calling him to help me load it for the butcher... stupid cows.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Best I could find so far:

§ 310. Lien upon strays.
Whenever any person shall have any strayed horses, cattle, sheep, swine or other beast upon
his inclosed land, or shall find any such beast on land owned or occupied by him doing damage,
and such beast shall not have come upon such lands from adjoining lands, where they are
lawfully kept, by reason of his refusal or neglect to make or maintain a division fence required of
him by law, such person may have a lien with priority over all other liens upon such beasts, for
so long as such person shall retain possession of such beasts, for the damage sustained by
reason of their so coming upon his lands and doing damage, for his reasonable charges for
keeping them, and all fees and costs made thereon, and he may keep such beast until such
damages, charges, fees and costs are paid, or such lien is foreclosed, upon complying with the
provisions of this article relating thereto.
View Quote

To clarify, the farm the cows are coming from is on the opposite side of a 2 lane county highway. My property is not adjacent to the farm property, it is separated by the highway.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:20:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Spraypaint "DEER" on the side. Problem solved.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:22:40 PM EDT
[#37]
It all depends on if you are in a "Fence in or Fence out" state.  Answer that and I can help you more.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:24:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Put up an electric fence around your property. My area is "open range", so legally I need a fence to keep livestock out, not in.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:25:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Yes, absolutely. 14 years ago a large bull got out. Almost got hit by 2 cars and got riled up, ran into my yard right - through a laundry line in the back - then tried to charge my 3.5yr old son who was playing outside. If I have to repeat myself, I'm wasting my time.
View Quote

Put that and your state in the first post or WE are wasting our time.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:25:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

To clarify, the farm the cows are coming from is on the opposite side of a 2 lane county highway. My property is not adjacent to the farm property, it is separated by the highway.
View Quote

State is NY.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#41]

You want to at least save some meat. TM62 won’t allow you to do that.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

What freaking state? There in lies the crux of the answer.

For example, TX  requires YOU to fence, but there are exceptions if the livestock are on a property that is traversed by a federal or state road.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:31:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

§ 310. Lien upon strays.
Whenever any person shall have any strayed horses, cattle, sheep, swine or other beast upon
his inclosed land, or shall find any such beast on land owned or occupied by him doing damage,
and such beast shall not have come upon such lands from adjoining lands, where they are
lawfully kept, by reason of his refusal or neglect to make or maintain a division fence required of
him by law, such person may have a lien with priority over all other liens upon such beasts, for
so long as such person shall retain possession of such beasts, for the damage sustained by
reason of their so coming upon his lands and doing damage, for his reasonable charges for
keeping them, and all fees and costs made thereon, and he may keep such beast until such
damages, charges, fees and costs are paid, or such lien is foreclosed, upon complying with the
provisions of this article relating thereto.

I'd bet  NY is a fence in state. Maybe contact an attorney.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:34:04 PM EDT
[#45]
South Park - It's Coming Right For Us
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I figured I would come in to this thread and take the farmers side because I also have cows and shit happens, but how the fuck does he not have a fence? Even if it’s not required by law.

I can’t imagine getting so twisted up about my yard that I carried my neighbor to court.

I hope you can just talk to him and avoid any more trouble.
View Quote

I'm with you. Just want to get my facts straight before I go over there (again).
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#47]
FYI and it may not apply in your area. Processors around here can't take dead live stock. Deer and wild hogs yes. But not a cow you shot in your yard. Has to be alive even if it is hurt, has a broke leg or what ever.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:35:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Are you in a fence in or fence out state? If you're in a fence in state the neighbor is required to keep his animals on his property. Go after him for damages.

Fence out is different. Want his animals off your property? Build your own fence. I don't agree but that's the law.
View Quote

Yep, need to figure what your States rules are and then you will know your options.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:36:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Are you in a free range state? Fence your yard if you don’t want cows on it. Where I come from if you hit a cow you’re buying the rancher a new cow.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top