[#1]
Yea, That needs to be boxed
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:59:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
On one hand I'm hoping like hell they go back and fix it up. On the other hand, I didnt buy that house so....Not my problem. But shit, some of the shit you see looking at under construction houses.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 12:59:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:01:12 AM EDT
[#4]
For the uneducated, why is that bad/wrong?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:03:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
On one hand I'm hoping like hell they go back and fix it up. On the other hand, I didnt buy that house so....Not my problem. But shit, some of the shit you see looking at under construction houses.
View Quote
There was a several page thread last year where this exact thing happened to a member and it was engineered joist. Plus more problems. I think it got moved to Team maybe.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:03:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

The wood thing that got cut for the pipe thing isn’t supposed to be like it is, but it do
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
The floor joists (Thats the wood thats been cut) are there to provide support. The plywood itself is very flexible, so the support comes from the joists. Except in this case its been cut right in fucking 2, so it provides NO support to the floor above it. Worse still, this section of the floor is potentially right where you may have a fair bit of weight due to being the bathroom....Toiler, shower or bath. Not where you want flex in your floor. Hopefully the go in and add a cross beam to attach the cut ends to the adjacent joists, otherwise theres going to be a wall to wall section of flooring with less support than usual.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote
Need this for structural integrity
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:06:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There was a several page thread last year where this exact thing happened to a member and it was engineered joist. Plus more problems. I think it got moved to Team maybe.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I remember that pretty well, that was an issue of the floor joists not being properly supported on the concrete foundation. The hangers didnt extend all the way ofer the foundation and were mostly supported by the foam rather than the concrete. It was a fucking shit show. Last I knew he did get an engineering firm to say it was fine, but either way I wouldnt sleep well with that.

This is "just" one bad joist span. That thread the OP had (potentially) his entire fucking floor improperly supported.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:07:14 AM EDT
[#10]
nvm
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:08:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Thats a perfect example of how it should be done. I'm half tempted to keep an eye on this one house to see if they fix it up before drywalling over it and walking off.....

The house is north of 400k so I'd expect better to be honest.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:09:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Plumbers should know better
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
It's odd that you don't have BCI's, dimensional lumber floor joists are rare nowadays.

Also, framer should have located toilets and adjusted layout accordingly.

Your situation unfortunately isn't uncommon.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:10:36 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm not seeing it.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:11:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Correct.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Wait.  So you just walked into a new construction house?  Were you just jogging by?  
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:12:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not the plumbers fault.

Framers can move floor joists, plumbers can't move toilets.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:16:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm not seeing it.

View Quote
What you are looking at is the floor joists. That big gap compromises the structural integrity.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:18:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Those light boxes suck too.

wtf
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's odd that you don't have BCI's, dimensional lumber floor joists are rare nowadays.

View Quote
That OSB joist shit? Hard pass there. I was rather surprised to see lumber joists though. Fortunately not my house. I was just looking at what they had.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:18:30 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wait.  So you just walked into a new construction house?  Were you just jogging by?  
View Quote

Well, I'm white so.....
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:20:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thats a perfect example of how it should be done. I'm half tempted to keep an eye on this one house to see if they fix it up before drywalling over it and walking off.....

View Quote

They're all built by the same third worlders regardless of price range, so...
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:21:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just curious, what does that price net you in that area?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd also be concerned that the drain line will rain sewage down on the floor below.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:23:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That OSB joist shit? Hard pass there. I was rather surprised to see lumber joists though. Fortunately not my house. I was just looking at what they had.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Friend is a recently retired contractor who was working with someone who had a whole subdivision of that type of construction, back when it was fairly new, where non of the houses were blocked properly and were crushing the joists. He said he spent years there fixing houses.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:24:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not a hell of a lot to be honest IMO. Best place to get an idea is redfin. I'm roughly an hour north of Seattle and our housing prices are retarded, compounded by firestorm price wars. Last house I made an offer on listed at 345, I offered 376 and didnt get it, Was close, but someone had a better offer.

31k OVER list and I didnt get it....

Redfin listings

This listed at 375, I bid 386.5. Just missed that one too.

@TLF
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah thats less than perfect.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:29:28 AM EDT
[#28]

Seriously, if there is tile above that... cracky crack crack!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not a hell of a lot to be honest IMO. Best place to get an idea is redfin. I'm roughly an hour north of Seattle and our housing prices are retarded, compounded by firestorm price wars. Last house I made an offer on listed at 345, I offered 376 and didnt get it, Was close, but someone had a better offer.

Redfin listings

@TLF
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Redfin listings

@TLF

Wow. That's insane.

We're just outside of Austin. And did well for just over 300 but we had to put some money into the house to fix some stuff. But I've got almost 2800 sq ft and 2.8 acres. Now, try to get that anywhere inside of Travis county (Austin) hold the fuck on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#30]
That is some custom terrible work. Did you hire the guys standing around at the local home depot?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:32:09 AM EDT
[#31]
They must know the framer and he must miss toilet flanges often.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Wow. That's insane.

We're just outside of Austin. And did well for just over 300 but we had to put some money into the house to fix some stuff. But I've got almost 2800 sq ft and 2.8 acres. Now, try to get that anywhere inside of Travis county (Austin) hold the fuck on.
View Quote
Oh yeah, if you want a decent house and property around here you better have your anti anxiety meds ready to go. This area is outside the city, has potentials for some jaw dropping stunning views of mountains or oceans (Take your pick) and is swimming in some big money Boeing Microsoft and other big numbers businesses.  

You dont go shopping with the mindset of "How much can I save", you go into it with the mindset of "How much can I spend". Theres some world class shit around here, but goddamn does it cost.....
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:35:09 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Need this for structural integrity
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/255759/EC599A58-EB9E-4971-AFC1-2292EB666D90_jpe-1480076.JPG

No, framer should have moved the joist to miss the toilet drain.

That ^ is how you fix stupid.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:36:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That is some custom terrible work. Did you hire the guys standing around at the local home depot?
View Quote
I thought they had the most experience, and their rates are great!
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 1:39:31 AM EDT
[#35]
Thanks to all for the education/explanation ??
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:00:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

No hablo inglés
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#37]
If the framers were worth a damn then they wouldn't have put that joist under the toilet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 2:16:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Particle board subfloor.....LOL

Might as well go cheap on everything else.

Edit: Excuse me....."engineered wood"
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 5:12:47 AM EDT
[#39]
OP, you’d be surprised what is under the walls and ceilings of a bunch of houses.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:25:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

ETA:  I see it was answered.

The designer could have fixed that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
What you are looking at is the floor joists. That big gap compromises the structural integrity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not seeing it.

The joke was supposed to be that what I wasn't seeing was the missing joist.

Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:34:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Framers should know better. You don’t center a plumbing wall over a joist.

I’m sure framers are going to head off on punch out.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Who runs abs in new construction?

And that looks like a 2” line, not a toilet.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:35:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Oh yeah, if you want a decent house and property around here you better have your anti anxiety meds ready to go. This area is outside the city, has potentials for some jaw dropping stunning views of mountains or oceans (Take your pick) and is swimming in some big money Boeing Microsoft and other big numbers businesses.  

You dont go shopping with the mindset of "How much can I save", you go into it with the mindset of "How much can I spend". Theres some world class shit around here, but goddamn does it cost.....
View Quote

Boeing might not meet that def anymore...
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Who uses ABS pipe anymore?
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Particle board subfloor.....LOL

Might as well go cheap on everything else.

Edit: Excuse me....."engineered wood"
View Quote

OSB..Not nearly as bad.

ETA..Iwould put my money on not going to fix. They would have sistered the joists before running the lines. Now they have to notch for everything.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:49:59 AM EDT
[#48]
That’s why the future homeowner should always have an independent inspector do a “pre-drywall inspection”. Now if it’s a spec being built and then sold to someone later, shit will always slip by.
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:50:32 AM EDT
[#49]
What does plumber rhyme with?

Dumb ass can't even steer a Sawzall
Link Posted: 6/28/2020 8:56:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Who uses ABS pipe anymore?
View Quote
I think it's standard out west...by code.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top