Quoted:

Amazing collection.
View Quote
oh stop.  we've all seen better.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:39:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No tilt-shifts? You have me beat...and I'm one of the highest paid commercial photographers in the country. ;)
View Quote
I'm one of the lowest !  
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:40:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Wheres the long range primes? No 300 f2.8? No 400 f2.8? No 500 f4? No 600 f4? No 800 f5.6?

https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif

What I love about Nikon? They don't do that stupid "L" lens crap Canon uses to designate a "pro lens". Canon fanboy friend of mine gets all into that. Asked me why Nikon doesn't have pro lenses, I told him all Nikon lenses are pro lenses. He got pissed. Then again it doesn't take much to get him all bent out of shape since he fanboys everything.
View Quote
I used to have the 300 2.8....but sold it for the 200-400 f4....which is now for sale since I bought the 200-500 f5.6.   Things seem to be going backward.   Also -- I rarely am far enough away from my subject to make use of anything longer than 400.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:45:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I wouldn't say ALL Nikon lenses are pro lenses.  I would say that all their FX (full frame) lenses are pro grade.

And I have nothing negative to say about most of their DX lenses as well.  I just don't have the discriminating eye that would cause me to find fault with any modern Nikon DX lens.
They all seem to do a great job when used for the photography they're intended for.

As for Canon,  I hold both Nikon and Canon in equal regard.  They're both first rate companies and highly competive with each other and while I'm a Nikonian, it's only because I got a good Nikon camera FIRST and have made a decision not to have to duplicate a lens collection in a second brand.

Tell your fanboi friend this.   Nikon and Canon are worthy competitors to each other.  They both make great cameras and lenses and as for who's the best, that seems to change every time a new product is released.  You can't go wrong with either.
View Quote
In spite of my canon copier comment, what you say is true.  You can make a good photo with almost any modern gear.  That being said, if you compare a leitz image to a zeiss image to a nikkor image...there is a visible difference.  But it's subjective and that IQ alone isn't going to make your photo better if your concept and execution are weak, much in the same way that an expensive rifle doesn't make you a better marksman.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:46:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which would you recommend for taking the most flattering dick pics?
View Quote
Clearly you're gonna want a lot of magnification
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:47:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What did you take the photo with...?  
View Quote
X-T3 w/fujinon 16-55 f2.8
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:51:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Give me the 24.70 2.8 with a 850 body and Im good. you don need much to shoot naked chicks... lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Give me the 24.70 2.8 with a 850 body and Im good. you don need much to shoot naked chicks... lol
View Quote
No.  No you don't.  Might I subscribe to your newsletter?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:29:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
you talking about the MF 135 f2 on the left?  Not DC.  The AF 105 f2 on the right is DC.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mmm... 135mm f/2 DC. Old but sexy lens. One of them is on my list.
you talking about the MF 135 f2 on the left?  Not DC.  The AF 105 f2 on the right is DC.
Oooh, my bad. I just saw the f/2. Didn’t even know the did a MF 135mm f/2. I just have a love for those DC lenses, even if I don’t do anywhere near enough people photos to justify one.  They’re just so damn nice though.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:31:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Which would you recommend for taking the most flattering dick pics?
View Quote
Laowa 24mm f/14 probe 2:1 macro lens.

Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:55:04 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:06:01 AM EDT
[#12]
H_S.

Regarding the F3 HP. Galen Rowell was the inspiration for my first venture into the Nikon line.

Previously, had utilitized my Grandfather's Rolliflex's 2.8, and Rollicord 3.5, as well as old 4x5 Speed Graphic, all mint, which I yet have) along with the then early Canon offering of AE-1P.

Nikon seemed the next logical progression given their F mount backward capability, so Canon was abandoned,

Still, I can use a 500P f4, good lens of long ago, with current bodies, on occasion for birds. (of course not auto focus)

ETA. have from 8-500mm for my own "amateur" use now. No longer have the physical capabilities to haul a heavy Gitzo and Studio Ball, along with pack full of bodies and lens' to remote locations to engage in photo shoots.

Alas...
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:50:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
@edwardavila @proto3
View Quote
Oh mama...

I only work with cameras that are rentals

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:53:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oooh, my bad. I just saw the f/2. Didn't even know the did a MF 135mm f/2. I just have a love for those DC lenses, even if I don't do anywhere near enough people photos to justify one.  They're just so damn nice though.
View Quote
No worries.  The 105 2.0 dc may show up in the EE sometime in the near future if you want me to give you a shout?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote
that's funny
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
H_S.

Regarding the F3 HP. Galen Rowell was the inspiration for my first venture into the Nikon line.

Previously, had utilitized my Grandfather's Rolliflex's 2.8, and Rollicord 3.5, as well as old 4x5 Speed Graphic, all mint, which I yet have) along with the then early Canon offering of AE-1P.

Nikon seemed the next logical progression given their F mount backward capability, so Canon was abandoned,

Still, I can use a 500P f4, good lens of long ago, with current bodies, on occasion for birds. (of course not auto focus)

ETA. have from 8-500mm for my own "amateur" use now. No longer have the physical capabilities to haul a heavy Gitzo and Studio Ball, along with pack full of bodies and lens' to remote locations to engage in photo shoots.

Alas...
View Quote
ah my speed graphic.   got it in high school....had it through college and the film half of my career.  Sold it during the digital revolution.   Good memories.  Used the closed speed graphic as an impact weapon once when some guy got froggy with me on the street.   right-in-his-face.  I miss that speed graphic.  Solid bit of kit.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#17]
if it weren't for box checks, I never would have made it this far.  don't know how AC's do it on just a disto and stick of chalk.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#18]
also -- how did this thread make it to page 3 without someone busting me for the laminate flooring?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
if it weren't for box checks, I never would have made it this far.  don't know how AC's do it on just a disto and stick of chalk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
oh we get our box rentals too. Carts, batteries, computers, tools, monitors etc.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
No worries.  The 105 2.0 dc may show up in the EE sometime in the near future if you want me to give you a shout?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oooh, my bad. I just saw the f/2. Didn't even know the did a MF 135mm f/2. I just have a love for those DC lenses, even if I don't do anywhere near enough people photos to justify one.  They're just so damn nice though.
Shame you might be selling it. Unfortunately it’s been an expensive few months, so I’m tapped out in the near future. One of those ‘if it can break’ months.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

oh we get our box rentals too. Carts, batteries, computers, tools, monitors etc.
View Quote
mon-i-tors.......it's all about monitors these days.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#22]
There have been four separate instances in my past where an optic has impressed me beyond belief.

One was a TDS when i was a chainman on a land surveying crew.

One was a riflescope at a industry demonstration.

One was through a photographer buddy's camera.

One was a higher end amateur grade telescope.

All four had one thing in common. Nikon glass. Impressive optics, to say the least.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:45:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Shame you might be selling it. Unfortunately it's been an expensive few months, so I'm tapped out in the near future. One of those 'if it can break' months.
View Quote
Typically I like to deny that I have emotions, but I have to say it has continued to be an emotional decision to move on from nikon-to-fuji over the past several years.  While I sold off most of my bodies already, I kept the glass for the 'what if I go back to it' possibility.  But after NPS gave me a z6 & ftz to evaluate, while I loved the image quality, the hardware gave me some problems.

It's a sound thing.  The Z6 + ftz with F-mount af glass is too loud for my needs as I work in a sound restricted environment.  Both the servo focus noise and the diaphragm pulse noise become noticeably evident when everything else is quiet.   The new mirrorless native S-series glass however is reportedly much much better, and no need for the ftz obviously...and this makes the ergos and weight distro better for all-day hand holding.

That's why a lot of guys doing what I do switched from Canon/Nikon to Sony/Fuji...and the XT3 in particular is dead quiet in ES mode.

So, even if Nikon comes out with a Z9 that I love and I decide to go forward in that direction, it will be with the new S-glass and not the F-mounts.  Now, that being said for the time being I'm keeping the d850 for ad work with a selection of specialty glass (gonna keep the MF's, the AF 1.4 primes and the three trinity zooms to get me from 24-500).  I've already got the 200-400 f4 listed as it's just not needed anymore and I can use those funds to smooth this transition.  I'm also thinking seriously about getting into the new Fuji gx100 which will require all new glass as well.  Incidentally the fujinon 100-400 (150-600 equiv) mm on the XT3 is an epic sports lens.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:46:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm surprised to see you have both a 200-400 and a 200-500.  Which gets more use?  I have the 200-500 and have been very, very happy with it.

ETA.   Should have read that you were going to sell the 200-400.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm surprised to see you have both a 200-400 and a 200-500.  Which gets more use?  I have the 200-500 and have been very, very happy with it.
View Quote
see above.  the 200-500 was recently acquired to replace the 200-400 which was recently listed.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wheres the long range primes? No 300 f2.8? No 400 f2.8? No 500 f4? No 600 f4? No 800 f5.6?

https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/icon_smile_big.gif

What I love about Nikon? They don't do that stupid "L" lens crap Canon uses to designate a "pro lens". Canon fanboy friend of mine gets all into that. Asked me why Nikon doesn't have pro lenses, I told him all Nikon lenses are pro lenses. He got pissed. Then again it doesn't take much to get him all bent out of shape since he fanboys everything.
View Quote
As someone who is solidly in the Nikon camp, allow me to say N.

@Rob940
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

As someone who is solidly in the Nikon camp, allow me to say N.

@Rob940
View Quote
Gotcha - It's not a Camera, It's a Nikon
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that's the lens you have to use if you are trying to take ant dick pics.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:27:43 PM EDT
[#29]
In a previous life I was a photographer. As in, that's what I did to live.
I hated it but I was good at it. Wages were shit.
I had much of what the OP displays.
I sold it all to my SIL. He was happy to have it and was happy to get rid of it.
Now I just use my phone.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I sold it all to my SIL. He was happy to have it and was happy to get rid of it.
Now I just use my phone.
View Quote
If "wages were shit" you were not doing it right. It is not hard to bring in 6 figures in camera department.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Now I just use my phone.
View Quote
sign-o-times
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:46:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It is not hard to bring in 6 figures in camera department.
View Quote
I love photography as a hobby, but I have a hard time rectifying two maxims.

Do what you love for a living, and you'll never work a day in your life.

Turn your hobby into a living, and you'll end up hating your hobby.

Link Posted: 6/9/2019 1:58:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
After 30 years of this, I can tell you what they don't tell you: "do what you love for a living, you'll never work a day in your life...and that's about what they'll pay you too".     So here I am, 30 years later trying to figure out if I can get lightning in a bottle twice.  I wouldn't say I hate photography at all....hate the politics of many of my clients, sure.  Hate some of my subjects, probably.  So now I just need to find new clients and new subjects based on my current passions and hobbies.  Should be simple
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:01:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It is not hard to bring in 6 figures in camera department.

haha I can't say you're wrong...

Some things we would say on Stranger Things when we were miserable..

" Dad I want to work in the movies!" "Shut the fuck up and get a real job!"

"You wanted this shit!"

"People would kill to be here you little bitch."
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

"You wanted this shit!"

View Quote
"livin' the dream"

"they told me it would be all sunglasses & blow jobs.  they didn't tell me I would have to pay for my own sunglasses and give the blowjobs"

'come to california they said.   make a few photos they said'...
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:08:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
"livin' the dream"

"they told me it would be all sunglasses & blow jobs.  they didn't tell me I would have to pay for my own sunglasses and give the blowjobs"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"You wanted this shit!"

"livin' the dream"

The grass is always greener over the septic tank.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
So here I am, 30 years later trying to figure out if I can get lightning in a bottle twice.
View Quote
If it doesn't run the risk of Arocking you, would you care to share the time you caught lightning in a bottle?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

If it doesn't run the risk of Arocking you, would you care to share the time you caught lightning in a bottle?
View Quote
pm sent
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 2:29:32 PM EDT
[#39]
When I stopped getting paid for photographic work I switched to micro four thirds equipment.  I traded in a bunch of my Canon lenses and sold a few others. The trade equipment meant no sales tax on the Olympus kit I picked up and even after spending $6500 on the new kit I got a 4 figure check back from the camera shop.

And the stuff I sold privately would have paid for a nice used car (of course it helps that all of my glass was mint and that Canon had significantly increased prices on primes like the 300 2.8L since I had bought them)

Of course I now have a significant collection of high-end micro four thirds lenses and a new, $2500 body coming on Wednesday since I started getting back in photography as a serious hobby (leaving on vacation Thursday).

What's that Godfather quote again?
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
When I stopped getting paid for photographic work I switched to micro four thirds equipment.  I traded in a bunch of my Canon lenses and sold a few others. The trade equipment meant no sales tax on the Olympus kit I picked up and even after spending $6500 on the new kit I got a 4 figure check back from the camera shop.

And the stuff I sold privately would have paid for a nice used car (of course it helps that all of my glass was mint and that Canon had significantly increased prices on primes like the 300 2.8L since I had bought them)

Of course I now have a significant collection of high-end micro four thirds lenses and a new, $2500 body coming on Wednesday since I started getting back in photography as a serious hobby (leaving on vacation Thursday).

What's that Godfather quote again?
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm a hack who dreamed of doing more photography, but never really dug in. I have a MF Nikkor 50mm 1.2f lens that I thought was special when I bought it. Tell me its desirability among those who know how to use it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I wouldn't say ALL Nikon lenses are pro lenses.  I would say that all their FX (full frame) lenses are pro grade.

And I have nothing negative to say about most of their DX lenses as well.  I just don't have the discriminating eye that would cause me to find fault with any modern Nikon DX lens.
They all seem to do a great job when used for the photography they're intended for.

As for Canon,  I hold both Nikon and Canon in equal regard.  They're both first rate companies and highly competive with each other and while I'm a Nikonian, it's only because I got a good Nikon camera FIRST and have made a decision not to have to duplicate a lens collection in a second brand.

Tell your fanboi friend this.   Nikon and Canon are worthy competitors to each other.  They both make great cameras and lenses and as for who's the best, that seems to change every time a new product is released.  You can't go wrong with either.
View Quote
I shot Canon since I got my 1st SLR in 83. Still have my AE-1P. When I went digital in 2004, I tried both the EOS Rebel and D70. D70 felt better, better button layout for my big thumbs. Either way I had to start with all new lenses. Now I still use a pair of D300's. 20K on one, 40k on the other.

I just laugh at the "You don't have have L lenses" garbage I get from some Canon people. My rule is, if a professional is using it, its a professional lens (or camera). Had some idiot at an AMA Arenacross event tell me I cant use 'professional cameras' there (my D70).

You on NikonCafe by any chance? Was a member of Nikonians in the early to mid 2000's until they went nuclear on requiring memberships. Nothing they had in their forum was anything you couldn't find on other free photography forums. Culled some of the photography forums I've been a member on. Photocamel I dropped out of, DPReview I left, FM I just rarely used, POTN seemed to die on the vine after the owner wrote his own forum software to use.

I shot some weddings back in the film days, last 2 were a fucking nightmare with the brides mothers trying to run the show. First one was funny watching the bride tell her own mother to "Shut the fuck up", other one was I just looked at the brides mother and handed her my camera and said "so you can do it better?". She just looked at me. Her daughter was laughing like crazy. Both the last 2 were friends weddings I was doing as a gift for them. Just don't care to do that anymore. Lots of respect for anyone who can do that now for a living and deal with the idiocity.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:16:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I shot Canon since I got my 1st SLR in 83. Still have my AE-1P. When I went digital in 2004, I tried both the EOS Rebel and D70. D70 felt better, better button layout for my big thumbs. Either way I had to start with all new lenses. Now I still use a pair of D300's. 20K on one, 40k on the other.

I just laugh at the "You don't have have L lenses" garbage I get from some Canon people. My rule is, if a professional is using it, its a professional lens (or camera). Had some idiot at an AMA Arenacross event tell me I cant use 'professional cameras' there (my D70).

You on NikonCafe by any chance? Was a member of Nikonians in the early to mid 2000's until they went nuclear on requiring memberships. Nothing they had in their forum was anything you couldn't find on other free photography forums. Culled some of the photography forums I've been a member on. Photocamel I dropped out of, DPReview I left, FM I just rarely used, POTN seemed to die on the vine after the owner wrote his own forum software to use.

I shot some weddings back in the film days, last 2 were a fucking nightmare with the brides mothers trying to run the show. First one was funny watching the bride tell her own mother to "Shut the fuck up", other one was I just looked at the brides mother and handed her my camera and said "so you can do it better?". She just looked at me. Her daughter was laughing like crazy. Both the last 2 were friends weddings I was doing as a gift for them. Just don't care to do that anymore. Lots of respect for anyone who can do that now for a living and deal with the idiocity.
View Quote
I can't wrap my head around shooting weddings simply because I shoot matches on the weekend.  Man's got to have his priorities.
Link Posted: 6/9/2019 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'm a hack who dreamed of doing more photography, but never really dug in. I have a MF Nikkor 50mm 1.2f lens that I thought was special when I bought it. Tell me its desirability among those who know how to use it.
View Quote
In the right hands that’s still an amazing lens. Nikon hasn’t stopped producing them or made design changes because it’s a ‘lightning in a bottle’ lens. Personally I’d never be good enough on manual focus to use it at f/1.2 unless I was doing aurora photos. But some people are freakish with manual focus and razor thin dof focus.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:15:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I'm one of the lowest !  
View Quote
I doubt that. What do you shoot for work? Events/portraits/people? I'm mostly model homes, communities and shopping/dining.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Now I just use my phone.
View Quote
What did you shoot? Wages seem mostly conducive to markets...and marketing.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:45:46 AM EDT
[#47]
When I sell off my kidney and pay off other debts I'm really wanting the 14-24. It's been my dream lens for quite some time now, but it's so absurdly expensive. My daily walk around lens is the 35mm 1.8, but it feels lacking some of the time. Especially since my two other lenses are kit lenses and I often only have the 35mm with me.

Very nice collection.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 2:57:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
When I sell off my kidney and pay off other debts I'm really wanting the 14-24. It's been my dream lens for quite some time now, but it's so absurdly expensive. My daily walk around lens is the 35mm 1.8, but it feels lacking some of the time. Especially since my two other lenses are kit lenses and I often only have the 35mm with me.

Very nice collection.
View Quote
The 14-24mm f/2.8 goes on sale down to $13-1400 on refurbs sometimes. It really is a fantastic lens and one of my most used. For $1200 or so, the Sigma gives it a strong run for the money though.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The 14-24mm f/2.8 goes on sale down to $13-1400 on refurbs sometimes. It really is a fantastic lens and one of my most used. For $1200 or so, the Sigma gives it a strong run for the money though.
View Quote
I've heard the sigma is a great cheaper alternative as well as the Tokina 16-28 for the cheapest folks.

Before I spend an arm and a leg on a holy trinity lens I'd rather update my body to a nice FX. My D7100 has been far too amazing to upgrade and still outshoots me so I'll probably run it into the ground before upgrading.
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I doubt that. What do you shoot for work? Events/portraits/people? I'm mostly model homes, communities and shopping/dining.
View Quote
pm sent
eta:  PM sent fail.  your in box is full, sorry.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top