User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:03:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just got back from japan with my brother who owns  a car import business . We went all over and looked at a bunch of cars he has waiting to come over stateside at diffrent properties he has, also hit up a dealer auction which is impressive in and of its self think massive 5 story parking garages as far as you can see with thousands of cars in each one.The place that stood out to me was we went to a non discrept warehouse that looked pretty ran down on the outside, I was pretty surprised to see it was absolutely stuffed full of s15's and skylines all in near mint condition, and by no means is it a small building. Growing up he had posters and models all over his bedroom of them. Kind of fitting he has a warehouse of them now at 30 ??
View Quote

@3kgt

What were they selling for? I don't think people here understand the car culture over there, they love their cars and take good care of them.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#2]
This thread needs more Nob Taniguchi:
Nobuteru Taniguchi Ryuji Miki Silvia
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:17:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

@3kgt

What were they selling for? I don't think people here understand the car culture over there, they love their cars and take good care of them.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got back from japan with my brother who owns  a car import business . We went all over and looked at a bunch of cars he has waiting to come over stateside at diffrent properties he has, also hit up a dealer auction which is impressive in and of its self think massive 5 story parking garages as far as you can see with thousands of cars in each one.The place that stood out to me was we went to a non discrept warehouse that looked pretty ran down on the outside, I was pretty surprised to see it was absolutely stuffed full of s15's and skylines all in near mint condition, and by no means is it a small building. Growing up he had posters and models all over his bedroom of them. Kind of fitting he has a warehouse of them now at 30 ??

@3kgt

Don't they have weird laws about how old a car can be to to able to drive it?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:20:57 AM EDT
[#4]
For the sake of my bank account, I should not be looking at this thread.

My first car was a 90 240sx. Absolute reliability, fun, and even held up pretty well to the salt here in WNY (family owned from new until 2003 ish). I miss that car and I miss what Nissan used to be.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How different is that than a 240sx?
View Quote

Mainly the engine option, few cosmetic things.

They had the cool shit.....
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I like that, and I hate everything.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#7]
My mate has one.

Fun turbo car that has lots of mods to choose from. Also fairly old vehicle that isnt actually that quick, but its fun to drive no doubt. Australia has different import rules and jap cars are fairly common.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#8]
As I used to see "Hella Flush".
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:52:10 AM EDT
[#9]
All right hand drive tho?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:53:04 AM EDT
[#10]
LS swaaaaaap!

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:53:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They gonna be expensive.

I've heard there are warehouses full of skylines just waiting to be imported for crazy money:
View Quote

Great, more shitty Nissan drivers on the road
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:56:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@3kgt

View Quote

You know im not to sure, they defiantly take care of there stuff. Here is a picture of his personal one he has over there he let me drive Attachment Attached File

And some of his cars waiting to come over
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I wouldn't mind one for nostalgia sake.

I had an S13 hatch in high school that went through many sets of rear tires.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:05:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Oh great, another car with a spoiler

Just stop it!
View Quote

It screams mid 90s when every frickin vehicle..including.minivans had them
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

They increase taxes and require expensive inspections/repairs after 3 years, and every two years after that. It’s more financially viable to get a new car than keep your current one. It’s probably the largest example of lobbying corruption in human history.

This is why all the dealers hoard the good JDM cars for export. They can buy them insanely cheap and flip them to foreign markets for astronomical profits.

If you get bored surf YouTube for auctions. They’ll have thousands upon thousands of essentially abandoned cars on lots the size of Rhode Island. There’s one a guy goes to that’s a five story parking garage loaded with hundreds of GTR’s, Supra’s, NSX’s, Silvia’s, etc that they’re just sitting on waiting for the 25 year exemption to push to the US. Covered in dust, mildew covered interiors, cars that haven’t run in years that will get a new chance across the ocean and probably net a 1000% profit.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:24:03 AM EDT
[#16]
It's bullshit we can't get these when they are new. FEPA, FDTS etc.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:33:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can't honestly answer that question, I know they are very strict about emissions, other than that I can't answer you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:35:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You know im not to sure, they defiantly take care of there stuff. Here is a picture of his personal one he has over there he let me drive https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371820/1000007937_jpg-3060921.JPG

And some of his cars waiting to come over
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/371820/1000007938_jpg-3060922.JPG

View Quote

That's a clean example, I'd really like to go over there just to drive the cars and eat lots of wonderful food.

I'd love a GTR, not even picky which one, I just want one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:40:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are there any 25 year old Pontiac Grand Ams still on the streets these days?

https://preview.redd.it/s48y1618hnp01.jpg?auto=webp&s=3b1eff92125b6a06205f67e5c3ea9d8d97a9f5bd
View Quote

A 91 with 17k original miles just sold at a Mecum auction not to long ago for $16k.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 3:10:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Love the cars, but hate the price that comes with being able to obtain one. I gave up the dream of owning one.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 5:18:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Right hand drive means I have zero interest in it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They increase taxes and require expensive inspections/repairs after 3 years, and every two years after that. It's more financially viable to get a new car than keep your current one. It's probably the largest example of lobbying corruption in human history.

This is why all the dealers hoard the good JDM cars for export. They can buy them insanely cheap and flip them to foreign markets for astronomical profits.

If you get bored surf YouTube for auctions. They'll have thousands upon thousands of essentially abandoned cars on lots the size of Rhode Island. There's one a guy goes to that's a five story parking garage loaded with hundreds of GTR's, Supra's, NSX's, Silvia's, etc that they're just sitting on waiting for the 25 year exemption to push to the US. Covered in dust, mildew covered interiors, cars that haven't run in years that will get a new chance across the ocean and probably net a 1000% profit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They increase taxes and require expensive inspections/repairs after 3 years, and every two years after that. It's more financially viable to get a new car than keep your current one. It's probably the largest example of lobbying corruption in human history.

If you get bored surf YouTube for auctions. They'll have thousands upon thousands of essentially abandoned cars on lots the size of Rhode Island. There's one a guy goes to that's a five story parking garage loaded with hundreds of GTR's, Supra's, NSX's, Silvia's, etc that they're just sitting on waiting for the 25 year exemption to push to the US. Covered in dust, mildew covered interiors, cars that haven't run in years that will get a new chance across the ocean and probably net a 1000% profit.
You forgot about the large (in physical and engine size) car tax increase too, plus having a larger car becoming increasingly inconvenient in Japan due to parking and traffic. Hell, the 94 Skyline GTS I owned when I was lived there barely fit in the lanes.

These sports cars are considered big cars in Japan, in both physical size and displacement, and suffer increased taxes due to that.

All this is why the Kei car exists, which I'm surprised we in the US haven't been pushed towards yet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They gonna be expensive.

I've heard there are warehouses full of skylines just waiting to be imported for crazy money:
View Quote

Numerous youtube videos on this exact subject. Importers have been stacking them already ready to export waiting for the day they can send them out. Warehouses full of cars.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:55:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mom blew my mind, she bought a Datsun 280Z long ago. Last person you'd think would know about one let alone buy one.
I'm not a car guy and she was even less of a car person. I still remember her 68 Chevy 2 with a 3 speed on the column, what a dog.
View Quote

My mom had a 66 Fairlane GT, 390 4 speed.

69 Chevelle SS 396 4 speed.

Then she finally calmed down and bought a new Camaro in 72 with a 350 with an automatic in it.

She was a country girl so you could turn her loose with a pickup and horse trailer or a load of hay on the truck and she'd be just fine too.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 8:58:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

https://preview.redd.it/s48y1618hnp01.jpg?auto=webp&s=3b1eff92125b6a06205f67e5c3ea9d8d97a9f5bd
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So the Japanese Pontiac Grand Am will flood the streets now...

A shitload.

Attachment Attached File

Eta: Well, technically it's an S10 frame with a Grand Am engine.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just think of all those Motorex R34’s that have been changing hands at $500,000+. Boom. Your car just depreciated by 500%.

I’d really like to get a R34 GTT and LSX swap it and put the GTR fenders on. That or body swap it on a G37. The RB26 is the best sounding straight six made but it’s almost as bad as a rotary maintenance wise.

I still think back on the days when the R32 first became legal and Japan was practically giving away Skylines of all generations. Now dealers hoard them to sell to the U.S. for massive profits.
View Quote

I really want an R34 GTT.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#27]

All that just to get gapped by a boomer in a C6 Corvette.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:26:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is that at Chernobyl?

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:29:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I absolutely LOVE high revving turbo I-6s!!

I rode in a well modded track version of one of these and it was ultra light and scary fast. Light weight provides a magic that can't be replaced by anything else...
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:25:37 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

That’s a midcap special rite thur.

With all the metal it’s lost some of the hambeasts he likes can pile in and won’t overpower the suspension.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:27:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
How different is that than a 240sx?
View Quote
The 240 had no turbo and was freaking slow. They were a great looking car and perfect rwd setup though.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Similar story to the old supras that we did get here.  RWD, inline 6 motor that was built well, manual transmission, boost.  With a bigger turbo, they'll make 4 digit horsepowers and do it for 200k miles if you could manage to not wreck it.  There's shops in australia with 2000HP ones.

What the miata is today, these were back in their day.  The car you could pick up cheap(ish) and it would support enough power to race around.  These made it into movies and video games.  So a lot of guys got to see them and drool over them growing up, but never own one.

By now, most of the supply has been used up.  It' been wrecked, stripped, gutted, rusted, and junked.  The ones that remain will sell for more money that most people would be willing to spend on a car to beat up.  They are mostly collectors' pieces.  The price is high because people can finally buy the car they wanted from their video game when they were 10 years old.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
For those of us who do not know, what is so good about this car and what kind of money are we likely to see them sell for?

Similar story to the old supras that we did get here.  RWD, inline 6 motor that was built well, manual transmission, boost.  With a bigger turbo, they'll make 4 digit horsepowers and do it for 200k miles if you could manage to not wreck it.  There's shops in australia with 2000HP ones.

What the miata is today, these were back in their day.  The car you could pick up cheap(ish) and it would support enough power to race around.  These made it into movies and video games.  So a lot of guys got to see them and drool over them growing up, but never own one.

By now, most of the supply has been used up.  It' been wrecked, stripped, gutted, rusted, and junked.  The ones that remain will sell for more money that most people would be willing to spend on a car to beat up.  They are mostly collectors' pieces.  The price is high because people can finally buy the car they wanted from their video game when they were 10 years old.

This is not an inline 6. It's a 2 liter inline 4. And they aren't making 4 digit power numbers. You're thinking of the RB26DETT from the Skyline GTR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 11:42:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OK, let me throw this out there.

I'm a semi-retired gear-head, degreed mechanical engineer living in Japan. I have a contact who runs a business here buying cars at auctions all over Japan. He is connected to a network of people who go out to local auctions and purchase cars all over Japan. Myself and a few friends of mine have been buying our cars through him for 15 years.

I also know a guy who exports cars from Japan to the world.

For anybody who is serious about buying a car from Japan - for a flat fee - I could arrange to purchase the car you want from an auction here and get it shipped to you; most probably a port on the US west coast. You would have to handle importing it and getting it street legal there.

Maybe you want to buy something that is old enough to be driving it as soon as you get the paperwork done there - or maybe you want to buy something you would be storing for a few years until it reaches that magic 25 year vintage.

If you are serious let me know what you are looking for and we can figure out what the current market value is here.
View Quote

Oh shit a degreed engineer. That’s how you know he’s legit
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:10:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This is not an inline 6. It's a 2 liter inline 4. And they aren't making 4 digit power numbers. You're thinking of the RB26DETT from the Skyline GTR.
View Quote

Ok, I was mixing up the RB and SR.  The Stock S15 are the inline 4.  There are a lot that have been swapped to inline 6.  But factory was the 4 banger.

And maybe they aren't making 4 digit power in stock form.  But there most certainly are some out there.  500HP per cylinder out of an inline 4.  70PSI worth of boostiboy.  
2000HP 4 Cylinder Nissan S15 - Amazing Story! Worlds Quickest and Fastest SR20

ETA -
I wonder what street price on these is gonna be.  They were down to $5k for a basic used s15 w/ sr20det and a manual transmission in the parts of the world where these were available.  Then the supply dried up.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:43:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I hope they go for $250k plus...

Tired of all the attention whores putting loud ass pipes on their shit.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top