Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1007 of 5591)
Page / 5591
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By martin248:
Ukraine failed to destroy the convoy, which has now deployed into position around the area. Forward operating bases set up. Supply lines intact. Artillery in place. Ukraine appears to be able to do nothing about it.

Russian probes into the city are attacked but if Russia can sit in those bases, firing artillery and choosing when and where to attack then it's just a matter of time.

Only hope now is the Russian economy collapses before Kiev falls.
View Quote

Citation or bullshit.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:36:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By zach_:

It's a tractor. In John. Deere. Green.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:

It's a tractor. In John. Deere. Green.

Do you even Tropic Thunder?

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:37:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

lol
View Quote

People are weighing the cost of extended fighting for the people of Ukraine, and also the pain for the entire world. I am also dreading when russia starts shelling kiev. Their plan is almost certainly their normal plan. Shell it until it is destroyed and the people are dead.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
They need someone with experience handling chemical weapons.
View Quote

Bingo
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CS223:
https://t.me/ukrainenowenglish/1314

A drone crashed in the Croatian capital last night. According to the preliminary version, it was a Soviet drone, Tu-141 "Strizh".

The drone just mixed up the coordinates. It fell that night near the island of Jarun in Zagreb, Croatia. And it was supposed to go to Yarun, Novograd-Volyn district of Zhytomyr region, Ukraine.

Russian soldiers made a terrible mistake by entering Jarun instead of Yarun and flew it to Croatia.
View Quote

Is Croatia NATO? I don't buy their lame excuses. Russia caught invading NATO airspace. Russia bombing Belarus.  

Time to article 5.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:41:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stone-age] [#8]
"A 40-mile-long (64km) Russian military convoy, composed of tanks, armored vehicles and towed artillery, has sparked dread among defending Ukrainians as it lumbered towards their capital, Kyiv.

"The column has been stalled for a week, but now the forces appear to be regrouping, according to Maxar Technologies satellite imagery taken on Thursday, which showed parts of the convoy had "largely dispersed and redeployed."
Russia is regrouping for a possible attack on Kyiv, say UK defense officials, after initially making limited progress in its advancement towards the capital."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/11/europe/kyiv-russian-convoy-intl/index.html

double-tap, my bad
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:41:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:

Why is that the only hope?

This isn't a video game.  If Russia takes Kiev then all the sanctions don't suddenly stop.  In fact. they will ramp up.  Sooner or later the pressure will mount and countries will cut energy trade with Russia.  It will be painful for the Western countries, but an absolute death blow to Russia's economy.

Russia is in a no win scenario.  They have lost.  They cannot win. The only question now is how it finally plays out.  

We've seen a fair number of South American economies collapse, but now we're going to see a major world economy collapse.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AeroEngineer:
Ukraine failed to destroy the convoy, which has now deployed into position around the area. Forward operating bases set up. Supply lines intact. Artillery in place. Ukraine appears to be able to do nothing about it.

Russian probes into the city are attacked but if Russia can sit in those bases, firing artillery and choosing when and where to attack then it's just a matter of time.

Why is that the only hope?

This isn't a video game.  If Russia takes Kiev then all the sanctions don't suddenly stop.  In fact. they will ramp up.  Sooner or later the pressure will mount and countries will cut energy trade with Russia.  It will be painful for the Western countries, but an absolute death blow to Russia's economy.

Russia is in a no win scenario.  They have lost.  They cannot win. The only question now is how it finally plays out.  

We've seen a fair number of South American economies collapse, but now we're going to see a major world economy collapse.

It's amazing how many here aren't understanding this.

For months, there's been endless chicken little talk about inflation of the USD being 5-15% or whatever it really is. "We'll be Weimar Germany/Zimbabwe on Monday."

"If gas prices go up another $1, the entire US economy will collapse" ...because the average person paying maybe $1k a year more in gasoline is the difference, apparently.

Meanwhile, in Russia, the meteor has HIT. Their currency has lost nearly all its value, they're disconnected from international banking systems, their goods can no longer be sold in most of the world, and most of the world is no longer willing to sell them anything. They are good and properly fucked on a multi-generational level. The Great Depression was a minor, industry-specific slump compared to what the Russians are about to go through. It's going to take a bit for the poison to sink in to their economy, but a fatal dose has been administered.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By NeuroCrim:

Bingo
View Quote
I mean would you trust Russian conscript chuckleheads with legacy chemical artillery shells pulled from cold war era stocks?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Shenanigunz:

Dmitry Utkin, founder of the Wagner Group

Russia's own little "private" mercenary army.

Why is he still alive?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:
Russia Seeks Foreign Volunteers To Fight in Ukraine.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60705486

Putin may bring in Syrians.
View Quote
Oh look, them and the Africans are just more meat grinding material
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:46:11 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Nuts!
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]

I would like to add to this that every time these numbers are published, the US figures are the conservative estimates. The EU/NATO and Ukrainian numbers are reported as significantly higher.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Drakich:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Anyone have a source for how many KIA Russians are currently admitting to?

It went from zero to 498 and stayed there. I haven't seen an update since.

Ok, that's what I have seen as well- someone yesterday said 4k, but I've seen nothing from the Russians themselves either.

The US was saying 4000 Russian dead, now 5-6k. Europeans were thinking 7-9.

Assume 4X WIA, and that gets you anywhere from 20k WIA to 36K WIA, on top of 5K to 9K dead, for a total of 25K to 45K KIA/WIA.  

Seeing as they went in with 200K soldiers, that means you've lost 10% to 25% of your invasion force in a week.

I would like to add to this that every time these numbers are published, the US figures are the conservative estimates. The EU/NATO and Ukrainian numbers are reported as significantly higher.

Seems to me dead x 4 = wounded is a little high. Most estimates over the last few years I have seen suggest 3 wounded per dead.  But the point remains valid.  That's a lot of Russians for whom the war is over.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:47:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Bassgasm:

For months, there's been endless chicken little talk about inflation of the USD being 5-15% or whatever it really is. "We'll be Weimar Germany/Zimbabwe on Monday."

"If gas prices go up another $1, the entire US economy will collapse" ...because the average person paying maybe $1k a year more in gasoline is the difference, apparently.

Meanwhile, in Russia, the meteor has HIT. Their currency has lost nearly all its value, they're disconnected from international banking systems, their goods can no longer be sold in most of the world, and most of the world is no longer willing to sell them anything. They are good and properly fucked on a multi-generational level. The Great Depression was a minor, industry-specific slump compared to what the Russians are about to go through. It's going to take a bit for the poison to sink in to their economy, but a fatal dose has been administered.
View Quote
And this doesn't get reversed in a week, recovery will take decades. They are going to lose a generation of progress.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:48:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Learned my first bit of Russian:  Погиб means Dead
Neat iphone feature I discovered is you can highlight text like you do for a select & copy and if it's foreign language you'll get a translate option. Sadly it doesn't recognize UKR language, only RUS.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]

lol
View Quote

I'm sure Zelenskyy will as soon as all the Russians in his country are destroyed or driven back across the border. I don't see him marching on the Kremlin any time soon.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#19]
And this doesn't get reversed in a week, recovery will take decades. They are going to lose a generation of progress.
View All Quotes

A question I came up with this morning is whether removing sanctions is a part of the negotiation process between Ukraine and Russia.  It seems that Russia would have much, much less incentive to give Ukraine a decent deal to achieve peace if all of the sanctions will remain in place after a peace deal is reached.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I’m waiting for Abu TOW to show up from Syria at this point. Why not if Assad’s henchmen are going?
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Important to note for the pro-NFZ folks. I guess it would be possible to shoot down cruise missiles, but if most aircraft aren't leaving Russia/Belarus a NFZ over Ukraine is gonna be real meh.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#24]
"A 40-mile-long (64km) Russian military convoy, composed of tanks, armored vehicles and towed artillery, has sparked dread among defending Ukrainians as it lumbered towards their capital, Kyiv.

"The column has been stalled for a week, but now the forces appear to be regrouping, according to Maxar Technologies satellite imagery taken on Thursday, which showed parts of the convoy had "largely dispersed and redeployed."
Russia is regrouping for a possible attack on Kyiv, say UK defense officials, after initially making limited progress in its advancement towards the capital."

View Quote

Bunch of arm-waving propaganda. If the Russians are still stuck on roads, they're not going to be able to surround Kyiv. If they're trying to "disperse" that makes it easier to destroy elements of the unit with small teams rather than drones. My guess is if the Russians are "regrouping" that means their units aren't combat effective any more and they need to reconstitute. I'm not convinced it will make much difference.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:55:09 PM EDT
[#25]

lol
View Quote

Like I said a month ago, lots of connections between Israel and Russia (but I'm sure certain Christianity sects will be ready to refute this by stating the coming Gog Magog war/Russia attacking Israel...)

I wonder if Iran took control of the Golan Heights or Negev if Israel would let it go to "stop war"...
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Has anyone else seen reports like this?

I just cant...
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
I’m waiting for Abu TOW to show up from Syria at this point. Why not if Assad’s henchmen are going?
View Quote

He tweeted he’d gladly go assist Ukraine when this kicked off.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:55:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Why doesn't the Ukrainian Air Force target some Russian jets outside of its borders? Bomb that base in Belarus where many of the Russian MIGs are operating out of? Trying not to escalate outside of their borders?

Surely we have all the intel.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By JustaGunNut:

Important to note for the pro-NFZ folks. I guess it would be possible to shoot down cruise missiles, but if most aircraft aren't leaving Russia/Belarus a NFZ over Ukraine is gonna be real meh.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JustaGunNut:

I don't think that should be read as "no aircraft are entering Ukrainian airspace". I think it should be read as "Russian strategic bombers aren't entering Ukrainian airspace and they are firing cruise missiles from standoff distance.  Russian air and ground attack aircraft are entering Ukrainian airspace frequently because they do not have weapons that can engage Ukrainian air and ground targets from standoff distance in Russia."

Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By peterman:
Why doesn't the Ukrainian Air Force target some Russian jets outside of its borders? Bomb that base in Belarus where many of the Russian MIGs are operating out of? Trying not to escalate outside of their borders?

Surely we have all the intel.
View Quote
Because they would have to get very, very close to the border to use air to air missiles, and the border regions are covered by Russian air defense assets on both sides of the border.  They would also have to run the gauntlet of Russian air to air assets.  It would probably be a suicide mission.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
A question I came up with this morning is whether removing sanctions is a part of the negotiation process between Ukraine and Russia.  It seems that Russia would have much, much less incentive to give Ukraine a decent deal to achieve peace if all of the sanctions will remain in place after a peace deal is reached.
View Quote
It's a case of trust/good will. If sanctions are lifted no financial institution is going to do business with Russia, those kinds of relationships take years to develop. It's the nation-state version of a credit score and Russia's is borked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#33]
It's a case of trust/good will. If sanctions are lifted no financial institution is going to do business with Russia, those kinds of relationships take years to develop. It's the nation-state version of a credit score and Russia's is borked.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Theodoric:
Yeah, I think that makes sense.  I'm not sure that I see an incentive for Russia to stop outside of limiting troop and materiel losses if their economy is going to be fucked no matter what they do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:00:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#35]

John Deere has the makings of a new ad campaign after this war.

Nothing tows like a Deere.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:01:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Heartbreaker1373:
Check out the bing homepage today
View Quote
LOL.  Took me a second.  That can't be a coincidence.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By mercersfinest4:

Citation or bullshit.
View Quote

Yep.

Unless Kiev is surrounded and cut off there is zero chance that Kiev ever falls.

Allowing a secure FOB is a failure yes, IF that happened. But it won’t result in the fall Kiev in the least by itself.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
Fuck that thing. Blow it up.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:03:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#39]

View Quote
That convoy, for the 10th time, was mostly support guys and baggage.

Second, this isn't a video game where all you have to do to capture the objective is park in an overlayed circle and you win the game. If they get to Kyiv, then the real struggle begins for the Russians, since potentially they have to fight an entire city that has 360-degree coverage of them. The Russians are having trouble even capturing the 'burbs.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:03:29 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Alexa. Call Daddy Musk.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Haub:
Has anyone else seen reports like this?

I just cant...
View Quote

Well its 8 pm. We're waiting.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:04:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:
Fuck that thing. Blow it up.
View Quote

you want to blow up an american astronaut?
pretty sure we could go get our person before that.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

Now that is a cheap shot. Leaving a mf in space!
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#45]

lol
View Quote
That's funny on a number of levels.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CenterMass762] [#46]
Originally Posted By outofbattery:
View Quote

He might already be there.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#47]

Citation or bullshit.
View All Quotes

Citation or bullshit.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/russia-ukraine-war-satellite-imagery-shows-portion-of-russian-military-convoy-has-dispersed-and-redeployed.amp
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Alexa. Call Daddy Musk.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By burnka871:

Alexa. Call Daddy Musk.

Yup thats fine. A Crew Dragon capsule can seat up to 7 if they outfit it to do so. Once the russians leave, that'll free up a docking port or two.

Station can be run from earth if needed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:07:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By agillig:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By agillig:
Originally Posted By Heartbreaker1373:
Check out the bing homepage today

It isn't.  They only go so far as to say that sunflowers have become "a symbol of resistance" for Ukrainians.  They don't say why...
Link Posted: 3/11/2022 2:07:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SoCalExile] [#50]
View Quote
A lot has changed in the month since that bullshit article was written.

All they did was change the captions. Scroll up.
Page / 5591
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1007 of 5591)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top