Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1355 of 5592)
Page / 5592
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By lorazepam:

Not really. His goal is to eliminate Ukraine, and make it russia.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rca2222:

I'm not saying that Ukraine "should have" given Russia anything, and I stated that clearly in the original post. What I am saying is that Russia would probably not have invaded had their been concessions, such as Crimea and parts of the Donbas region. Those places will never be reunited with Ukraine, and in Crimea it would seem that the locals don't want to be. It isn't fair, or just, but it's the reality. Those disputed borders are also what prevent Ukraine from joining NATO.

Not really. His goal is to eliminate Ukraine, and make it russia.

My goal is to fuck Jennifer Anniston, but sadly I know that it just ain't going to happen.

His goal was to absorb Ukraine, but he knows perfectly well now, and most likely before, that it will never happen.

The question is what he thinks he can still get now.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#2]
last i heard, the russians are being encircled, surrounded and cutoff in the Kyiv suburbs. Mariupol was also taken back by Ukrainians.  Only a matter of time before Russia loses more territory
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By planemaker:

The Ukrainians want the Russians out of their country, pure and simple. And, they're willing to fight to make that happen. Nobody gives a damn about Putin and face-saving. What matters is booting Russia back to its own borders and removing them as a world power. The way this conflict ends is in Russia's defeat. This needs to happen now instead of in the future when he rebuilds and threatens Poland next time or the Baltics. There is no escaping WW3 unless Russia is defeated now via conventional warfare. We and NATO are engaged in the battle whether we like it or not. It just so happens we're letting the Ukrainians take the fight to the Russians instead of Poland and the Baltic countries having to fight on theirs.
View Quote

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully NATO countries and others are talking behind the scenes to push Russia back to Russia.

But I don't believe we the USA should carry the burden. Let Europe make a stand.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Shenanigunz:
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:22:42 PM EDT
[#5]
You have to consider what the people in those regions want, and also the level of insurgency there might be from those that are pro-Russian. It seems like there are a lot of pro-Russian people, particularly in Crimea. I don't know to what degree in each place, but I don't think that it will be as simplistic as "freeing" those people from the Russians.
View Quote
It's been posted in this thread that before all the shenanigans, referenda in Donetsk & Luhansk or maybe the whole Donbas were drawing about 25% for the separatist side. Putin says, those are rookie numbers, gotta pump those numbers up.

The truth is, we have no idea what the residents want, or even who they are anymore. So many have been driven out by the violence. Ukraine is big enough that some form of federalism would probably be smart for them. But Russia has really shown how awful they are, so native support may have dropped significantly. We can't know until peace is restored. Which is one more reason to restore Ukraine's original borders.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

The Iranians dumped a bunch in the Gulf back in the "tanker war".
View Quote

And we only began offensive counter-operations following catching them red handed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: iggy1337] [#8]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By weptek911:

Why are we selling advanced jets to a hostile enemy country?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:

Can we trust another tyrant?

...from which we import more than half our oil...
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: hodgepodge] [#10]
Originally Posted By sircam671:

View Quote

More like where we import 1/10 of what we do from Canada. Or basically the same amount we used to import from Russia.

Edit, nevermind missed the tongue in cheek claiming Canada is the enemy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By hodgepodge:

More like where we import 1/10 of what we do from Canada. Or basically the same amount we used to import from Russia.

Edit, nevermind missed the tongue in cheek claiming Canada is the enemy.
View Quote

Of the 7.86 million barrels per day the U.S. imported in 2020, the majority came from its North American neighbors: Canada, with 4.13 million barrels (52.5%), and Mexico, with 750,000 (9.6%). But imports coming from outside North America are significant. Russia, with 540,000 barrels a day (6.6%), was the top non-continental contributor. Roughly 11% of the imports came collectively from OPEC countries, including 520,000 from Saudi Arabia.

Two year old info but I assume it couldn't have changed that much in so little time?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

"Disputed borders" is an interesting way of describing a previous Russian invasion.
View All Quotes

If it was nonsense, then why does Russia seem to be signaling those very goals now? I don't disagree that Putin would have loved to take over Ukraine or make it a vassal state, but it was clear long before the tanks rolled that it wasn't going to happen. He knew what he was up against as soon as the international reaction materialized. If he was given a way out then he would have taken it, in my opinion.

Your location doesn't make your opinions universally unimpeachable. You would be well served by a bit of humility.

What way out should he be given? Sovereign territory of another nation as a reward for attacking them and then leaving?
Fuck me.

I'm not saying that Ukraine "should have" given Russia anything, and I stated that clearly in the original post. What I am saying is that Russia would probably not have invaded had their been concessions, such as Crimea and parts of the Donbas region. Those places will never be reunited with Ukraine, and in Crimea it would seem that the locals don't want to be. It isn't fair, or just, but it's the reality. Those disputed borders are also what prevent Ukraine from joining NATO.

"Disputed borders" is an interesting way of describing a previous Russian invasion.

It's like a meth head squats in your garage, invites his crack-ho's to join him,and is insisting on
using the bathroom in the house.  Then demands that you don't get a dog or gun to protect your
house as they're pounding on the doors.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:45:35 PM EDT
[#13]

You really don't have a clue.
View Quote

@lorazepam   Whats your take?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By iggy1337:

Can't read crazy letters but any availeble in the Netherlands for some rascally trolling fun?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BerettaGuy:

https://rightedition.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/pjw-youtube-im-done.jpg

Can't read crazy letters but any availeble in the Netherlands for some rascally trolling fun?

Open it with Google Chrome and it will auto translate it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:01:46 PM EDT
[#15]
All You Need To Know About The Starstreak Missiles Now In The Hands Of Ukrainian Troops

"The U.K. Ministry of Defense has confirmed that Ukraine is ready to use the high-velocity missiles in combat against Russian aircraft."

"Regardless, the Starstreak has 'end-game' speed in excess of typical MANPADS, like Russia's prolific Strela family or the American FIM-92 Stinger, the latter of which has a typical maximum speed of around Mach 2.2.

Once they have penetrated the target, the darts also explode, each one carrying a fragmentation warhead. This approach is also said to reduce the risk of collateral damage, a consideration when using the weapon against ground targets.

As mentioned above, the types of targets the Starstreak was designed to defeat include lower-flying fixed-wing fighters and late unmasking helicopter targets  pop-up threats that offer little time to successfully engage. At the same time, the missile was tailored to have a longer range than comparable MANPADS, being able to hit targets out to 3.4 miles or more, a little longer than the 3 miles for the Stinger. The British Army credits the Starstreak with an engagement ceiling of 3,280 feet."

STARStreak – the fastest missile in its class in the world

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Buy more Lockheed Martin.

Canada To Buy 88 F-35 Fighter Jets From Lockheed Martin
View Quote

I wouldn’t sell their government rubber dog shit, much less jets.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#17]
Originally Posted By JG_Wentworth:
…Mariupol was also taken back by Ukrainians.  Only a matter of time before Russia loses more territory
View Quote

Wait, seriously? The mayor was quoted 7 hours ago saying the city is in the hands of the occupiers
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:07:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:14:03 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

When I was young, I could read Ukrainian Cyrillic almost as fast as English  but it would take me some time to go over that big list. You can copy and paste it into a translator program.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:14:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By bikedamon:

View Quote

I'll buy that for a dollar now to grab a,svd,pkm,pm1910 and just for the heck of it a mosin44 to ring the gong with now and then.

Oh and a 55gallon drum of corrosive bore solvent
Cause that stuff is perchlorate AF
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:14:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By PurpleOtter:
Buy more Lockheed Martin.

Canada To Buy 88 F-35 Fighter Jets From Lockheed Martin
View Quote

Yeah that’s great. Right up until Castro’s son either hands one over to China or Russia or allows them access to them so they can analyze and then monitor or hack the F35’s systems
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BerettaGuy] [#22]
Originally Posted By Brok3n:
All You Need To Know About The Starstreak Missiles Now In The Hands Of Ukrainian Troops

"The U.K. Ministry of Defense has confirmed that Ukraine is ready to use the high-velocity missiles in combat against Russian aircraft."

"Regardless, the Starstreak has 'end-game' speed in excess of typical MANPADS, like Russia's prolific Strela family or the American FIM-92 Stinger, the latter of which has a typical maximum speed of around Mach 2.2.

Once they have penetrated the target, the darts also explode, each one carrying a fragmentation warhead. This approach is also said to reduce the risk of collateral damage, a consideration when using the weapon against ground targets.

As mentioned above, the types of targets the Starstreak was designed to defeat include lower-flying fixed-wing fighters and late unmasking helicopter targets  pop-up threats that offer little time to successfully engage. At the same time, the missile was tailored to have a longer range than comparable MANPADS, being able to hit targets out to 3.4 miles or more, a little longer than the 3 miles for the Stinger. The British Army credits the Starstreak with an engagement ceiling of 3,280 feet."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7k0XonWAG4

View Quote

Those are impressive (watched videos about them a couple of weeks ago)- how many did Ukraine get?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:16:14 PM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chisum:

Can we trust another tyrant?

Half of the oil we import comes from Canada, but that isn't half of the oil we use.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:17:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Caffeine pills are produced from the residual when making decaffeinated coffee

Now what?
View Quote

Shit. Really? Shit.
Well, by the end of the week my coffee pile is going to be pretty impressive. I believe I have about 12 cans right now. I buy when it is on sale, I buy a lot.
Week after that my caffeine pill pile will be impressive.
After I run out of those? Well, shit.
Then I learn how to make caffeine? I don't know. Maybe the results of the russian invasion will be easing up by then. This russian invasion is going to have nasty far reaching consequences for the entire world.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#25]
(CNN)The Defense Department plans to accelerate production of Stinger anti-aircraft missiles and Javelin anti-tank missiles so it can refill its own depleted stocks as it continues to send the vital systems to Ukrainian forces fighting the Russian invasion, according to defense officials.

Ukraine wants 500 Javelin anti-tank missiles and 500 Stinger anti-aircraft missiles delivered from the US daily, according to a recent military assistance wish list. CNN viewed the document that details the items Ukraine believes it needs from the US.

By March 7, less than two weeks into Russia's invasion of Ukraine, the US and other NATO members had sent about 17,000 anti-tank missiles and 2,000 anti-aircraft missiles to Ukraine. Since then, that number has certainly increased but an update has not been made public.

On March 16, the White House announced an $800 million assistance package that included 800 additional Stinger anti-aircraft systems and 2,000 Javelin anti-tank missiles systems.

The Stinger production line had shut down but was restarted to fulfill a foreign sales order. Now, in order to keep it open efficiently, several options to increase production capacity and decrease production timelines are being considered in consultation with prime contractor Raytheon, according to Jessica Maxwell, a Pentagon spokeswoman.

Options include adding workers to the production lines, manufacturing new components to replace obsolete parts and purchasing additional tooling or test equipment for the production line, according to Maxwell.

Currently it takes about 18 to 24 months to manufacture a production lot of Stinger missiles, depending on the size of the lot. The Pentagon does not disclose specific inventory levels for munitions due to the sensitivity of the issue, but it maintains levels for what may be needed in conflict, under Defense Department policy.

There is an ongoing $320 million foreign sales production contract awarded to Raytheon. Prior to that award, production had ceased.

The Javelin anti-tank system is in a full production mode, according to the Pentagon. However, the Pentagon is looking at trying to ramp up production.

Lockheed Martin, the Javelin manufacturer, "has the capacity to meet increased demand for the foreseeable future," a company spokeswoman said in a statement.

Javelin anti-tank systems can be produced at a rate of more than 6,000 a year as of 2022, according to Department of Defense budget documents.

They have been made in a joint venture of Raytheon/Lockheed Martin Javelin Joint Venture in Orlando and in Tucson, Arizona, according to the company and Department of Defense documents.

Stinger anti-aircraft missiles are produced by Raytheon in Tucson.
View Quote
Pentagon will accelerate production of missiles Ukraine has requested to refill US stockpiles
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Freiheit8472] [#26]
Originally Posted By stone-age:

Shit. Really? Shit.
Well, by the end of the week my coffee pile is going to be pretty impressive. I believe I have about 12 cans right now. I buy when it is on sale, I buy a lot.
Then I learn how to make caffeine? I don't know. Maybe the results of the russian invasion will be easing up by then. This russian invasion is going to have nasty far reaching consequences for the entire world.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Chaingun:
Caffeine pills are produced from the residual when making decaffeinated coffee

Now what?

Shit. Really? Shit.

Hey man- when the day is done, and you wanna ride on…. hey with our leaky borders that availability will be uninterrupted!
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By AeroE:
Policy is precisely what that addled dipshit should be discussing.  In clear unambiguous language that needs no interpretation or reading tea leaves.

That failure is a clear failure of leadership from any part of the government.

View Quote

Exactly. The president is supposed to be the voice of the nation. Not talking about his feelings while we are on the edge of trading nukes. Fucking idiot. If this is part of planned tactics, then fine. But I think he just opens his mouth and says stuff.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

This is exactly what the Russian propaganda campaign and "operations other than war" were designed to convince you of. It's all manufactured; the "political parties" the "referendums", all of it.

And besides, do you think the Russian speaking, ethnically Russian people in Donetsk and Luhansk are thrilled with their new management?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GTLandser:

You have to consider what the people in those regions want, and also the level of insurgency there might be from those that are pro-Russian. It seems like there are a lot of pro-Russian people, particularly in Crimea. I don't know to what degree in each place, but I don't think that it will be as simplistic as "freeing" those people from the Russians.

This is exactly what the Russian propaganda campaign and "operations other than war" were designed to convince you of. It's all manufactured; the "political parties" the "referendums", all of it.

And besides, do you think the Russian speaking, ethnically Russian people in Donetsk and Luhansk are thrilled with their new management?

I said that I don't know to what degree, but it's a safe bet that there are a percentage pro-Russian people there, particularly in Crimea. Maybe one of our Ukrainian members could weigh in on the topic.

There's lots of contradictory information on the subject so it's foolish for us to say that it's absolutely one way or the other. All I'm saying is that it's unlikely to be as cut and dried as some here would think in terms of local popular support.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MattyCR:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MattyCR:

Click the menu tab on website it has English option built in
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:40:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By MiloBloom:

It's like a meth head squats in your garage, invites his crack-ho's to join him,and is insisting on
using the bathroom in the house.  Then demands that you don't get a dog or gun to protect your

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MiloBloom:

If it was nonsense, then why does Russia seem to be signaling those very goals now? I don't disagree that Putin would have loved to take over Ukraine or make it a vassal state, but it was clear long before the tanks rolled that it wasn't going to happen. He knew what he was up against as soon as the international reaction materialized. If he was given a way out then he would have taken it, in my opinion.

Your location doesn't make your opinions universally unimpeachable. You would be well served by a bit of humility.

What way out should he be given? Sovereign territory of another nation as a reward for attacking them and then leaving?
Fuck me.

Like I previously replied, it is the term used by NATO. Having disputed borders disqualifies Ukraine from joining.

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Like I previously replied, it is the term used by NATO. Having disputed borders disqualifies Ukraine from joining.

View Quote

Only if NATO agrees that it does. Which they would, but it’s a subtle distinction.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:46:30 PM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

In practice but there’s nothing in the charter to codify that position.

The “border incursion” description was the weak name given by a previous administration to water down the invasion of a sovereign country by a foreign military.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:52:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigB32] [#33]
A Ukrainian fighter in Mariupol fires an AT weapon directly into the turret of a Russian tank

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:54:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By K5FAL:

Look up "Operation Eldest Son."

I would not trust that shit.
View Quote

Alot of that's in sealed cans so compare markings with known to be good ammo and if you find any unique markings chuck it
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#36]

Shit. Really? Shit.
View Quote

Why are we running out of coffee now? I missed it. I thought coffee was from South & Central America.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:56:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#37]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Wait, seriously? The mayor was quoted 7 hours ago saying the city is in the hands of the occupiers
View Quote

They're still fighting it out for part of the city. Did you see the video of Azov being marched in the streets? I bet they'll be in a ditch soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BigB32:
A Ukrainian fighter in Mariupol fires an AT weapon directly into the turret of a Russian tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCyUrEds3Sg
View Quote

"That one bounced"
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:57:50 PM EDT
[#39]

Why are we running out of coffee now? I missed it. I thought coffee was from South & Central America.
View All Quotes

Shit. Really? Shit.

Fertilizer.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 6:59:19 PM EDT
[#40]
Policy is precisely what that addled dipshit should be discussing.  In clear unambiguous language that needs no interpretation or reading tea leaves.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:
So Biden says its his personal feelings but its not a policy?

Oh the admin is already walking back his comments from today which now the 2nd time in 3 days they've done a 180 from what Biden said.

Who is in charge is a mystery at this point but none of them are on the same page. Like I said earlier this is getting picked up by foreign media and getting played repeatedly in a not so great light.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:00:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Mal_means_bad:
Tanks didn't work out so good, so Russia is going full ISIS technical brigade
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAiLJAX3-eQ
View Quote

Allah wills it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:06:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By SilverBearX:

Fertilizer.
View Quote

Ah, thanks. It seems like we could compost Orcs.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I am just shocked Brandon hasn't surrendered us yet

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:

Yep.  Well into international waters. Romania found it so no Russia disinformation. Any ship that hits a mine will be assumed to be from Ukrania.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MBUZICHOMA:
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Originally Posted By Chokey:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FO8-rbAWYAISW0R?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FO8-t50XMAgqWsf?format=jpg&name=large

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FO8-vZRXoAMrF2k?format=jpg&name=large

That will probably what gets WWIII started. A loose mine and a NATO ship.

Yep.  Well into international waters. Romania found it so no Russia disinformation. Any ship that hits a mine will be assumed to be from Ukrania.

Yeah, but don't assume that Ukraine launched it. It could have been located at a base where the Rooskie got their hands on it. they did come out with a bulletin saying they had mines in the waters.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:
So Biden says its his personal feelings but its not a policy?

View Quote

Right on. Blinking not allowed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:08:44 PM EDT
[#46]

View All Quotes
Mariupol was also taken back by Ukrainians.  Only a matter of time before Russia loses more territory

No. Without relief, Mariupol will fall soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:

I think you left off Plan E: We're going to use tactical nukes to create a no mans land.  

The general consensus is Russia/Putin wants to create a buffer zone for Russia.  They can't occupy and hold it, and it's increasingly obvious they're not going to get a puppet government in UKR.  So it looks like the odds of Russia drawing a new border that includes no go zone by tossing a few low yield nukes are going up.  

Where that line gets drawn is the question.  Does he take out Kyiv in the process? They obviously want the coastal areas and can probably hold the food and mineral rich areas of the
east.   They've already rubbled the cities and are starting to deport locals which would make that task easier.  

I could be wrong and I hope so, but Putin does not look like he's going to walk away from this.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2tired2run:
Originally Posted By spydercomonkey:
Originally Posted By Eight_Ring:
Originally Posted By _disconnector_:
Originally Posted By Birddog15:
Amazing clip:

And overall great (37 post) thread on how sanctions will begin the unraveling of Russia:

If that first clip is from a pro Putin talk show, then I guess what he is saying is that it must either be total victory over Ukraine, or the end of Russia.  Am I understanding that correctly?

He's saying essentially that if "The Great Power known as Russia" TM can't subdue little Ukraine, then the mythos of Russian Power/ Greatness will be shattered irrevocably, and they will be on their way as a worthless power and heading toward the dustbin of history.

Basically he's saying if they can't take Ukraine, any future threat against NATO or the US will seem utterly absurd. And it was their ability to threaten NATO/US that have Russia its Gravitas and domestic legitimacy for the last 70+ years.
This.  100%.  Great synopsis.

The perception of power *is* power . . . and the world's perception of Russia is that they couldn't knock over a lemonade stand run by a troop of girl scouts at this point.  If they don't win definitively - total surrender without conditions - then they lose.  Period.

They are setting the stage for escalation.

What other choice do they have?

Serious question.

Plenty; the best case is not escalation but just keep doing what they are doing until they can negotiate a 80/20 solution:

1. Crimea recognized as Russian territory
2. Ukraine commits to not join NATO or host offensive weapons (ABM, SRBM, Cruise, etc)
3. Donbass becomes 'autonomous' buffer state* (this the least important of the 2)

Achieving 1+2 would actually be a substantial victory, especially if forecast out 40-50 years. Assuming of course that the west removes sanctions if Ukraine asks them too as part of the peace deal.

Thats my biggest fear - Ukraine strikes a peace deal with Russia...and then the US/West says 'fuck that' and keeps the sanctions going, prompting Russia to continue the war. Thats when escalation is going to happen.

Your three points are the exact ones I made before the invasion, though I added the restoration of water flow through the Crimean canal. I'm convinced that if they had been offered before that he wouldn't have invaded. That is NOT to say that I think he should get those things, or that Ukraine should agree to such demands.

Sanctions are going to be a political problem for the west regardless. If Russian wells, pipelines, and refineries are permanently damaged (see Zeihan), the oil shock will be politically untenable. If images of starving people hit the news because Russian grain isn't arriving, yet another politically untenable situation will develop. Like it or not, Russia is an important world supplier of both commodities.

Thats basically my take on things too. My gut instinct of how Putins plans shifted:

Putin Plan A: "My build up of menacing forces on the border to ratchet up tensions will compel a weak and divided west / ukraine to go for quick negotiation to solve the Ukrainian nato / crimea problem once and for all. No one wants to play poker with the Vladster"

Putin Plan B: "In unlikely case this doesn't work, lightning war of regime change. Glorious Red Army TM will sweep like through Ukrainian Nazis and race traitors like a scythe through so much wheat, and funnyman puppet zelenski will flee to europe. The war will be over before the West can respond, and the new Totally Legit pro-Russian ruler of Ukraine will strike a lasting peace."

Putin Plan C: "Fuck fuck fuck, thats a lot of ATGMs. And most of the last decades military money has been stollen by totally not me.... time to channel my idol, the OG Man of Steel himself, and just send everything I have into the meat grinder in hopes of smashing the Ukrainians teeth with our bones, then overwhelm them with our Orc hordes and mass MLRS dakka."

Putin Plan D: "Fuck, these Ukrainians can endure more suffering than a Dostoevsky novel, and my economy is imploding because the only thing we produce domestically is oil and razor blades. Lets double down on smashing their cites and hope they come to the negotiating table, and if not we'll snag what territory we can by May 9th then declare victory."

I think one of the main reasons this war is so insane and poorly executed is that Putin did not expect Plan A to fail, and certainly did not then expect Plan B to fail as well. And so the war has been less a carefully planned lethal ballet, and more a slap dash improvisation on the ground...using a military command structure not suited to improvisation.

I think you left off Plan E: We're going to use tactical nukes to create a no mans land.  

The general consensus is Russia/Putin wants to create a buffer zone for Russia.  They can't occupy and hold it, and it's increasingly obvious they're not going to get a puppet government in UKR.  So it looks like the odds of Russia drawing a new border that includes no go zone by tossing a few low yield nukes are going up.  

Where that line gets drawn is the question.  Does he take out Kyiv in the process? They obviously want the coastal areas and can probably hold the food and mineral rich areas of the
east.   They've already rubbled the cities and are starting to deport locals which would make that task easier.  

I could be wrong and I hope so, but Putin does not look like he's going to walk away from this.  

Making Ukraine a radioactive exclusion zone, at the costs of millions of lives, might not turn out too well for Russia.  You think they are getting sanctions and hate now..
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Dracster:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dracster:
Mariupol was also taken back by Ukrainians.  Only a matter of time before Russia loses more territory

Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:11:25 PM EDT
[#49]

View Quote
Rising fuel prices (oil) is causing the price of fertilizer to skyrocket across the globe. This in turn is going to drive the price of coffee production higher.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:

Sounds like we need to hand over some F-22s and F-35s with "specially trained pilots" to Ukraine.

Never let your enemy dictate the terms of your actions.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By HiramRanger:
Originally Posted By HIPPO:

Sounds like we need to hand over some F-22s and F-35s with "specially trained pilots" to Ukraine.

Never let your enemy dictate the terms of your actions.

Shit, from the looks of it, the Rhode Island National Guard could beat Russia.
Page / 5592
OFFICIAL Russo-Ukrainian War (Page 1355 of 5592)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top