Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 152
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Somebody needs to clean the camera lenses.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:50:12 AM EDT
[#2]
nailed'em
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
One more to go!
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sodie:
One more to go!
View Quote

core is not "landing"
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:52:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Watched from my office from St. Aug. It went straight into the sun, but still had a good show. Saw the booster entry burns, too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:53:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:57:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:00:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#11]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Watching those twin boosters light the fires and touchdown never gets old!
View Quote

It is rare but we may have two more in the coming months.  Subject to change...December 2022 and January 2023.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:23:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
weird that the SpaceX stream is delayed on their webcast compared to the NSF stream watching the SpaceX stream.
View Quote

I turn the webcasts and news radio off for launches because of the 1-2 minute delays. It's annoying as fuck !

The fog never really cleared out, caught the stack going up for maybe 30 seconds after it cleared the fog and another layer obscured the rest.
Could not see the boosters returning, but 2 sets of double sonic booms was very cool.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:35:18 AM EDT
[#13]
They're going to recover the fairing halves.  Will they try to get the center core too?  Seems like I remember they towed one in before.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:42:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#14]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
They're going to recover the fairing halves.  Will they try to get the center core too?  Seems like I remember they towed one in before.
View Quote

they had a problem with a booster that was supposed to RTLS but some failure caused it to to splashdown just off the coast, then they towed it back in.

from CRS-16 in 2018

video
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 10:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jack_Rackham:
View Quote

The center core is on the ocean floor now.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#16]
For decades we couldn't get into space quickly or cheaply. Missions had to be designed around the limitations of the rockets that existed.

Falcon 9 has blown the doors off of that and correct me if I'm wrong, the reason why it's been so long between Falcon Heavy flights is because there wasn't a customer that needed its capabilities. If that is so then we finally have room to grow. We can put whatever we like into space that fits into a F9 fairing whenever we want.

I couldn't be happier with this. All I can ask at this point is that Rocket Lab's Neutron proves to be half as good as F9.

Well... That and we don't have a nuclear war or some other disaster that effectively ends orbital class rocket launches for a good long time.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By fredegar:
Watched from my office from St. Aug. It went straight into the sun, but still had a good show. Saw the booster entry burns, too.
View Quote

Nice!  Are you guys...  ahem, hiring?

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, the video from the higher booster, showing the other one landing is crazy.  Really shows how fast they come in and absolutely slam on the brakes with the retro landing burn.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm curious about details of how the boosters return to ground. They use three engines to do it. They don't have any conventional wing structure but it looks like they have to reverse course and travel westward a significant distance to return. Do they fly nose first on the return then do a 180 to land on their tails right-side up? How do they maintain correct position? It's very impressive!
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 1:32:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Hesperus] [#20]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:
Wow, the video from the higher booster, showing the other one landing is crazy.  Really shows how fast they come in and absolutely slam on the brakes with the retro landing burn.
View Quote

If this was easy someone would have done it in the early 80s.

As is often said though, they sure do make it look easy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 1:33:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By jpcdmd:
I'm curious about details of how the boosters return to ground. They use three engines to do it. They don't have any conventional wing structure but it looks like they have to reverse course and travel westward a significant distance to return. Do they fly nose first on the return then do a 180 to land on their tails right-side up? How do they maintain correct position? It's very impressive!
View Quote

Main engines, cold gas thrusters, and grid fins for control.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 3:47:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#22]
Mission:  Hotbird 13G

1) Background info: Source

"A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the Hotbird 13G television broadcasting satellite for Eutelsat. Hotbird 13G is the second satellite to be built on Airbus’s new Eurostar Neo all-electric spacecraft design, and will provide television broadcast services to Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East. The Falcon 9’s first stage booster will land on a drone ship in the Atlantic Ocean. "

2) Launch window:    11:26 PM EDT  (2 November 2022) - 1:22 AM EDT (3 November 2022)

3) Launch Site:   SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida

4) Launch direction:  East

5) Webcast viewing options:

a. SpaceX webcast (Starts about 15 minutes before liftoff)

b.  You Tube

Eutelsat HOTBIRD 13G Mission

6)  Observation comments:    Cape Canaveral sunset is at 6:37 PM EDT.   The launch time is such that the ascent is not sunlit...so no jellyfish effect.  However the launch should be easier to see at night for locations further away.

For some close enough locations, I would also look for the re-entry and landing burns.  Both might require binoculars...although some have reported seeing the re-entry burn from near the launch site, presumably without binoculars.

7) Launch preparations:

a.  Boats heading out.

Video at this link
Gav Cornwell@SpaceOffshore.    Departure! Just Read the Instructions droneship is outbound to support the Hotbird-13G mission.   Tug Crosby Skipper is towing JRTI ~670 km downrange, due east of SLC-40.

Gav Cornwell@SpaceOffshore.     Bob departed Port Canaveral earlier today to support the Hotbird-13G mission on Wednesday night. JRTI left a few days ago.   Clip via http://nsf.live/spacecoast

b.   Satellite:

The hotbird 13F satellite after ground testing (Credit: ESA).  Reportedly 13G is identical.

c.  Ready for launch:  

Source

d.  Navigation warning:

8) First stage return/ocean recovery/disposal:  Drone ship JRTI recovery

9) Launch to deployment events/timeline:      

Hours:Minutes:Seconds after lift-off.  Times approximate.  

00:02:32 1st stage main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:35 1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:43 2nd stage engine starts (SES-1)
00:03:23 Fairing deployment
00:06:30 1st stage entry burn begins
00:06:55 1st stage entry burn completes
00:08:08 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO)
00:08:22 1st stage landing burn begins
00:08:44 1st stage landing
00:29:11 2nd stage engine restarts (SES-2)
00:30:10 2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-2)
00:36:11 Eutelsat HOTBIRD 13G deploys

10)  Orbit destination:  Geosynchronous transfer orbit with satellite performing maneuvers to reach geosynchronous orbit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 4:36:42 PM EDT
[#23]
How about a SpaceX throwback.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Vid  of Heavy's boosters landing:

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 5:01:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 5:22:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By RyanEsstac:

Anyone know where that location is? I'm sure its easy to find by searching for lighthouses.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-1975:

Anyone know where that location is? I'm sure its easy to find by searching for lighthouses.

it's the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse, about 1.75 miles from the LZ.

28°27'37.23"N  80°32'36.51"W
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 5:23:27 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M-1975:

Cape Canaveral Lighthouse:

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:03:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
For decades we couldn't get into space quickly or cheaply. Missions had to be designed around the limitations of the rockets that existed.

Falcon 9 has blown the doors off of that and correct me if I'm wrong, the reason why it's been so long between Falcon Heavy flights is because there wasn't a customer that needed its capabilities. If that is so then we finally have room to grow. We can put whatever we like into space that fits into a F9 fairing whenever we want.

I couldn't be happier with this. All I can ask at this point is that Rocket Lab's Neutron proves to be half as good as F9.

Well... That and we don't have a nuclear war or some other disaster that effectively ends orbital class rocket launches for a good long time.

View Quote

This is sort of true, but also not really true.  Falcon 9 Heavy has more payload capacity than the Falcon 9, so it can take heavier payloads, but it has the same payload fairing, so it can't take BIGGER payloads.  There aren't a lot of payloads that are too heavy for Falcon 9, but still fit.  Hence, the heavy version has few customers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2022 6:19:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoseCuervo] [#29]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/476ACF6E-F221-435B-97FE-49273E505698_jpe-2584074.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:
Originally Posted By jpcdmd:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/476ACF6E-F221-435B-97FE-49273E505698_jpe-2584074.JPG

I can't wait to see the ones on Starship Heavy in action.

SH Heavys' on the left.

Link Posted: 11/1/2022 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 12:01:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By elcope:

When can we expect SH flights? That's what I really want to see.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

https://i.imgur.com/QQ8Lp6m.gif

SH Heavy's on the left.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExLBzf6U8AEiyza?format=jpg&name=small

I hope he's right but I think more like Jan.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone know why the center center booster was not recovered?  They said during the launch they will not be recovering it but did not say why.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:38:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By The_Syndicate:
Anyone know why the center center booster was not recovered?  They said during the launch they will not be recovering it but did not say why.
View Quote

The fuel required to get the payload into its orbit was too much.  As a result the central core didn't have enough to make a controlled reentry and landing.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:07:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#35]
Webcast is beginning.

Jessie Anderson!
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#36]
T- 2 minutes
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:31:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Good video of the first stage landing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:34:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:37:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By JCoop:
Watching those twin boosters light the fires and touchdown never gets old!
View Quote

First time i saw that, i tried really hard to come up with a single word to describe it. All i could think up was "elegant".
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 1:37:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I wonder if anyone was able to see the re-entry and landing burns from land.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:00:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Excellent view of payload separation with Earth in the background.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 2:00:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Mike_c130:

This is sort of true, but also not really true.  Falcon 9 Heavy has more payload capacity than the Falcon 9, so it can take heavier payloads, but it has the same payload fairing, so it can't take BIGGER payloads.  There aren't a lot of payloads that are too heavy for Falcon 9, but still fit.  Hence, the heavy version has few customers.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

Well, it's not so much a matter that customers using FH have heavier payload, it's really more a matter of needing the payload somewhere other than LEO. All that extra delta-V is damn important if you're going GEO or interplanetary.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#43]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JoseCuervo:

https://i.imgur.com/QQ8Lp6m.gif

SH Heavy's on the left.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ExLBzf6U8AEiyza?format=jpg&name=small

Supposedly sometime in Dec now (according to the boss).

FWIW.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 6:00:42 AM EDT
[#44]

The fuel required to get the payload into its orbit was too much.  As a result the central core didn't have enough to make a controlled reentry and landing.
View Quote

It also didn't have landing legs installed.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

It didn't have gridfins either as they aren't going to install landing hardware on a booster that isn't going to be recovered for both mass for coat savings. The NASA spaceflight webcast said the next two FH launches are also going to expend the center core. They also mentioned another consideration was the fact that space x only has two drone ships on the east coast so it was not possible to recover all three boosters at sea. The FH launch profile has to be conducive for a side booster RTLS for the center booster to even have a possibility of recovery.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#48]
1)   Landing zone wide angle video of both Falcon Heavy side boosters landing

Credit may be to Stephen Marr

2)   Jenny Hautmann needed better camera securing to the ground

Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
1)   Landing zone wide angle video of both Falcon Heavy side boosters landing

<snip>
View Quote

Holy shit!
That was a cool clip!!!
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#50]
I knew they came in fast, but holy shit..
Page / 152
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top