Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 151
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:05:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Amateurs caught the SpaceX video signal again, some more video of the LOX tank interior:

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

Pretty sure that was the entry burn from the booster.
View Quote

Not sure about that.   I don't have the exact times but this video was supposedly around 610 AM EDT.  With launch at 601AM (seconds not known), entry burn would be about 6:07:21 to 6:07:41 AM.

Second stage cutoff would be around 6:09:48 AM which we see.

I also noted the plume during the launch (on the webcast) and asked if anyone could see it outside.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:

Not sure about that.   I don't have the exact times but this video was supposedly around 610 AM EDT.  With launch at 601AM (seconds not known), entry burn would be about 6:07:21 to 6:07:41 AM.

Second stage cutoff would be around 6:09:48 AM which we see.

I also noted the plume during the launch (on the webcast) and asked if anyone could see it outside.
View Quote

I was hoping to see it but it was not visible from here , not the sunlit reflection anyways.

Pretty sure you are correct with the timing though , the booster entry burn was much sooner than SECO.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Dagger41:

I was hoping to see it but it was not visible from here , not the sunlit reflection anyways.

Pretty sure you are correct with the timing though , the booster entry burn was much sooner than SECO.
View Quote

Perhaps the reason is that it entered sunlight just as it was passing overhead in that video..or so the poster said.   That may have put it past your horizon.  I have a program that would predict that but I need a certain file.  I  need to check with someone to see if I can have one generated.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 3:36:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 10:59:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#7]
Originally Posted By Neotopiaman:
Amateurs caught the SpaceX video signal again, some more video of the LOX tank interior:

View Quote

Scott Manley video
How Amateur Radio Fans Decoded SpaceX's Telemetry & Engineering Video
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 12:49:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Either way it was Beautiful.
I would love to see such a thing.
Have viewed, by coincidence, ageing satellites and\or space debris burning up while on late night walkabouts with my GSD, sometimes at work.
Just a second or two, horizon to horizon and GONE, as fast as I could turn my head to watch it.

No reports of meteor activity as is usually the case.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 2:06:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Decaying satellites/rocket bodies are usually slow moving.
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 6:23:11 PM EDT
[#10]
ODB is back - 1051.9

Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:59:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2021 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Two at the same time!

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:06:22 AM EDT
[#13]
new fairing recovery vessel, not sure if it's temporary or permanent.

pretty impressive boat
https://bordelonmarine.com/mv-shelia-bordelon/

Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:15:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Dagger41] [#14]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Kind of windy at the Port today

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 2:59:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#17]
SLS Green Run Hot Fire Test #2 and Super Heavy Booster Stacking

NASA SLS Green Run Hot Fire Test #2 in aprox 3 min
Link Posted: 3/23/2021 9:05:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#18]
1) Background info: Source

"A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 23rd batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink V1.0-L22."

2) Launch window:     4:28 AM EDT  (24 March 2021).

3) Launch Site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida

4) Webcast viewing options:

a. SpaceX webcast (Starts about 20 minutes before liftoff)

b.  You Tube

5) Launch preparations:  TBS

a.  Boats heading out.   Source:  SpaceXFleet.com

The booster recovery team is juuust now arriving at the Starlink landing zone at T- 9 hours.

Overnight, Shelia Bordelon departed for her debut fairing recovery mission.

As previously reported, it doesn't sound like this ship is permanent but let's wish Shelia luck on her first fairing fishing trip!

She will try to recover both halves from the water using the crane.

b.  Ready for launch.     Source:  SpaceFlightNow.com

6) First stage return/disposal:   Ocean recovery on OCISLY.

7) Mission press kit:   Now online here

8) Launch to deployment events/timeline:    

Hours:Minutes:Seconds after lift-off

00:02:32   1st stage main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:36   1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:44   2nd stage engine starts
00:03:09   Fairing deployment
00:06:40   1st stage entry burn ends
00:08:24   1st stage landing
00:08:47   2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO)
00:44:55   2nd stage engine restarts
00:44:56   2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-2)
01:03:52   Starlink satellites deploy
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Wind was in our favour this morning.

F9 was loud !
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:37:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Sixth landing for that booster and 60 more Starlink sats in orbit.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:47:19 AM EDT
[#21]
It'll be nice when the RAAN intercept launch times are no longer like 3am...

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#22]
If you want to look for the satellites while still close together look here

In the upper right change the location to your location then at the upper left select

"Starlink L22 launched successfully on March 24th at 8:28 UTC
Check below for predictions for your location"

Plan on using binoculars.  Look starting about two minutes early and scan a little perpendicular to the path.
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I guess the fairing catching attempts are done for good.

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#24]
hmm wonder why, not cost effective, or they finally figured out how to make cheap fairings?
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:28:18 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:42:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hdhogman] [#27]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 4:11:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Portzilla moved from dismantling the outriggers that support the netting on MsChief and MsTree , those boats will no longer be used to catch nose cone fairings.
Good news is OCISLY is heading in to the Port tonight with the booster from the launch the other morning , hope to get some pics of the kinky crane plucking it off.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#29]
How many operational, reusable rockets does SpaceX have?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By TacticalGarand44:
How many operational, reusable rockets does SpaceX have?
View Quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Falcon_9_first-stage_boosters
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:26:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#33]
Meet the final two crew members selected on SpaceX's all-civilian mission to orbit Earth

"A science communicator and an aerospace worker were selected from thousands of applicants to fill the last two slots on SpaceX's all-civilian mission to orbit Earth, the entrepreneur leading the flight said Tuesday.

Sian Proctor and Chris Sembroski, both of the science and aerospace communities, won seats on Inspiration 4, a Crew Dragon mission that will spend three days in orbit and is designed to benefit St. Jude Children's Research Hospital. They will join Jared Isaacman, the billionaire-entrepreneur who purchased the mission from SpaceX, and Hayley Arceneaux, a healthcare worker representing St. Jude's.

SpaceX is targeting no earlier than Sept. 15 for the liftoff from Kennedy Space Center's pad 39A. After three days in orbit at an altitude of about 335 miles the crew will splash down off the coast of Florida for recovery.

Hayley Arceneaux:She beat bone cancer. Next up for the hospital worker? Become the youngest American in space."

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:09:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Chokey] [#34]
this is interesting

I thought everything from the 2nd stage would have burned up on entry

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/oregon-washington-flashing-light-sky/283-f7121cb7-bb3b-4810-a21d-a2c2f4862bf7
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:15:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
this is interesting

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ex_ArBeXIAULJ1f?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

https://www.kgw.com/article/news/local/oregon-washington-flashing-light-sky/283-f7121cb7-bb3b-4810-a21d-a2c2f4862bf7
View Quote

Those COPVs are damned hardy.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 4:25:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Chokey:
this is interesting

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ex_ArBeXIAULJ1f?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

View Quote

Not the first time they have survived reentry.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:50:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Pavelow16478:

Not the first time they have survived reentry.
View Quote

The normal situation is reentry over large expanses of ocean.  Even if it survives it falls harmlessly into the water.

I have not heard/read why the de-orbit maneuver appears to have failed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:12:48 PM EDT
[#38]
The Shelia Bordelon has new fenders , Starboard stern side only (for now).
MsTree and MsChief have been retired and stripped of fairing retrieval equipment and are sitting much higher in the water now.

Shelia will be doing double duty for that task.

Pic is from yesterday , had quite a gale.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Great Pic, Thank You.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#40]

The normal situation is reentry over large expanses of ocean.  Even if it survives it falls harmlessly into the water.

I have not heard/read why the de-orbit maneuver appears to have failed.
View Quote

I think I read that the second stage failed to ignite when commanded to do a reentry burn. So it did an uncontrolled descent where it finally burned up over Washington State several weeks later.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:20:53 AM EDT
[#41]
SpaceX's Falcon 9 Autonomous Drone Ship Is Already Connected To Starlink

"On Saturday, April 3rd, NASASpaceflight photographers captured footage of ‘Of Course I Still Love You’ departing Port Canaveral towards its designated zone in the Atlantic Ocean where it will await Falcon 9’s landing. In the video, shown below, spectators noticed the drone ship is equipped with a Starlink dish antenna, which suggests it is already connected to SpaceX’s internet infrastructure. The autonomous drone ships need reliable internet connection to receive data about the booster as it returns from space to land, also to transmit Live broadcast video of the incoming booster."

I wonder if we will have great landing video in real-time now.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:13:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#42]
SpaceX Crew Dragon, four astronauts set for brief flight around the space station

"To set the stage for another Dragon launch just a few weeks from now, NASA astronauts are preparing to board a SpaceX Crew Dragon for a brief flight around the International Space Station (ISS)."

Looks like this has completed.  Video below.  Redocking starts around 1:04:00

Port Relocation of SpaceX Crew Dragon on the International Space Station
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:02:33 PM EDT
[#43]

"On Saturday, April 3rd, NASASpaceflight photographers captured footage of ‘Of Course I Still Love You’ departing Port Canaveral towards its designated zone in the Atlantic Ocean where it will await Falcon 9’s landing. In the video, shown below, spectators noticed the drone ship is equipped with a Starlink dish antenna, which suggests it is already connected to SpaceX’s internet infrastructure. The autonomous drone ships need reliable internet connection to receive data about the booster as it returns from space to land, also to transmit Live broadcast video of the incoming booster."

View Quote

I wonder how fast they can steer the beam when the ship's a shakin' so as to maintain that connection.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Jack_Of_Some_Trades:

I wonder how fast they can steer the beam when the ship's a shakin' so as to maintain that connection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

They explained this during a landing once. That is exactly the reason they sometimes lose video of the landings on the drone ships. Sometimes it's the motion of the ocean and other times it's the blast of the landing rockets that make the ship rock too quickly for the dishy to track the satellites.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Gage:

They explained this during a landing once. That is exactly the reason they sometimes lose video of the landings on the drone ships. Sometimes it's the motion of the ocean and other times it's the blast of the landing rockets that make the ship rock too quickly for the dishy to track the satellites.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Gage:

correct, thats been the issue with the original connection method they were using (not sure if they were using geo-stationary).  my question is if they are now using starlink, does dishy have enough steerage speed to keep accurate tracking?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#46]

correct, thats been the issue with the original connection method they were using (not sure if they were using geo-stationary).  my question is if they are now using starlink, does dishy have enough steerage speed to keep accurate tracking?
View Quote

I thought that Starlink antennas use electronic steering.  If true, wouldn't that solve the problem?
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 10:42:06 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

They need a separate autonomous "boat" to put the dish on and run cable back to the barge. But the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:28:27 AM EDT
[#48]
They could just buffer the video and send it once the rocket is landed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 9:12:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#49]
1) Background info: Source

"A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket will launch the 24th batch of approximately 60 satellites for SpaceX’s Starlink broadband network, a mission designated Starlink V1.0-L23."

2) Launch window:     12:34 PM EDT  (7 April 2021).

3) Launch Site: SLC-40, Cape Canaveral Space Force Station, Florida

4) Webcast viewing options:

a. SpaceX webcast (Starts about 20 minutes before liftoff)

b.  You Tube

5) Launch preparations:  TBS

a.  Boats heading out.   Source:  SpaceXFleet.com

OCISLY heading out to recover the first stage (Click on the date)

b.  Ready for launch.     Source:  SpaceFlightNow.com

6) First stage return/disposal:   Ocean recovery on OCISLY.

7) Mission press kit:   Now online here

8) Launch to deployment events/timeline:  

Hours:Minutes:Seconds after lift-off

00:02:32   1st stage main engine cutoff (MECO)
00:02:36   1st and 2nd stages separate
00:02:44   2nd stage engine starts
00:03:03   Fairing deployment
00:06:57   1st stage entry burn ends
00:08:39   1st stage landing
00:08:46   2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO)
00:45:39   2nd stage engine restarts
00:45:40   2nd stage engine cutoff (SECO-2)
01:03:56   Starlink satellites deploy
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:00:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 151
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top