View Quote
Suck it Bezos. Suck it long and hard.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By webtaz99:
View Quote

I can't think of a context where this doesn't beat Bezos's little flight. It's like watching an NBA player dunking on a kid in middle school.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:53:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

I can't think of a context where this doesn't beat Bezos's little flight. It's like watching an NBA player dunking on a kid in middle school.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Hesperus:

But it's even better, because every time he gets dunked on he talks shit, and then runs off to whine to the ref about how the game isn't fair.
Link Posted: 9/15/2021 11:56:51 PM EDT
[#4]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TLF:
Absolutely awesome!

That was exactly my comment when I found out they were doing this.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Reaching the Karman Line is to spaceflight as over the bra fondling is to sex.

Yeah it's sorta good, but you just couldn't make it all the way. And then the quarterback rails her a month later.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:10:38 AM EDT
[#6]

I should buy a nice camera and quit using my old phone for everything.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
this is awesome...and glad to see a cajun lady going to space!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Incredible, what an awesome time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:44:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AZ_Sky:
View Quote
This is what I've been waiting for.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Heavens-above.com has the current orbit data

Inspiration4 - Visible Passes

Search period start: 16 September 2021 00:00
Search period end: 18 September 2021 20:00
Orbit: 569 x 579 km, 51.6° (Epoch: 16 September)

Change the location in the upper right to yours and on the main page under "Satellites" select Inspiration4.

Click on the date of one that has a good high elevation pass and you will get a start chart of the pass with times.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

More like video of, rather than from. I’m surprised we don't have picture of peoples head popping in and out like gophers yet, that’s going be photoshopable.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:07:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

More like video of, rather than from. I’m surprised we don't have picture of peoples head popping in and out like gophers yet, that’s going be photoshopable.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 3Trip:

House keeping the stomach contents floating around still.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:18:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
west coast Starlink booster is back in port

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#17]
This is really interesting.

What blows my mind is the speed at which you can be on top of anywhere in the planet within minutes.

I understand ELon wants to launch a starship and land it at another point on earth but man....he has the proven tech already to do this with Crew Dragon.

Being that Crew Dragon needs to land in the water, the biggest time waste is retrieving the capsule and getting back to port. But they don't have to use a slow OSV to get the capsule.

The OSV like the seacor Cheetah is 170 ft long and with a crane on the back would easily be able to retreive the Crew Dragon from the water. Also it cruises at 38 kts. Passengers 150Single Cabins 2Double Cabins 24 Person Cabins 1Crew Mess1

A boat like that could operate anywhere in the world, retreive the capsule and be back at the dock in less than 2 hours.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 1:45:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Chokey:

View Quote

Indeed.

All SpaceX Launches From KSC in 4 Minutes 20 Seconds -1

Let's haul some tonnage!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:10:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I certainly find the lack of video interesting. Someone definitely hurled yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 2:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By midcap:

What blows my mind is the speed at which you can be on top of anywhere in the planet within minutes.

I understand ELon wants to launch a starship and land it at another point on earth but man....he has the proven tech already to do this with Crew Dragon.

Being that Crew Dragon needs to land in the water, the biggest time waste is retrieving the capsule and getting back to port. But they don't have to use a slow OSV to get the capsule.

The OSV like the seacor Cheetah is 170 ft long and with a crane on the back would easily be able to retreive the Crew Dragon from the water. Also it cruises at 38 kts. Passengers 150Single Cabins 2Double Cabins 24 Person Cabins 1Crew Mess1

A boat like that could operate anywhere in the world, retreive the capsule and be back at the dock in less than 2 hours.
View Quote

Whole different ballpark of cost. Dragon throws away a 2nd stage.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:01:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: midcap] [#22]
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Orion_Shall_Rise:

I get that....I am just curious as to how high the 1st stage which is reusable could send the dragon capsule up? Like would it be enough to send it up high enough to then glide from Florida to the North Sea?

I just looked, that's 50 miles high at 7000 MPH.....I wonder what the glide ratio of the capsule would be at that point?

The upper celtic sea is like 2000 miles away from the Cape in FL, sooo 40:1 would be needed.....40 miles of travel for every 1 mile in altitude.

But I am starting to think, well maybe, they can launch Falcon 9s with crew dragons back and forth. Falcon 9 with crew dragon lifts off from FLA, then travels towards the UK, when it gets to the correct apogee, the two stages seperate, Falcon 9 lands on a barge in the celtic sea, and Crew Dragon also lands there or the North Sea, I would think the english channel would be too small.

But I do think Bezos capsule is a better fit for this mission as they can land on the ground.

Maybe Have Falcon 9s with the Bezos module on top and run back and forth like that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#23]

View Quote

Translation

Conduct Research means. HURL!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 3:21:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

If they keep going out of their way to tell us that the crew is fine but keep up the video blackout, I'm going to get suspicious. Was there a barforama? Space madness?

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:48:51 PM EDT
[#27]
Bezos may be on my shit list but I have to give him some credit for the congratulations. It had to taste like absolute shit on his tongue (or fingers?) but he did it.

Maybe this can help him refocus on advancing mankind rather than using lawfare on us.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:51:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#28]
I will post a few charts for a pass tonight.  Imagine holding it over your head with the top of the chart to the north.

All of these were generated by heavens-above.com

They all time out.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Zam18th:
Bezos may be on my shit list but I have to give him some credit for the congratulations. It had to taste like absolute shit on his tongue (or fingers?) but he did it.

Maybe this can help him refocus on advancing mankind rather than using lawfare on us.
View Quote

He was probably just using it to help him in court: "See, I am not just jealous..."
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 5:00:50 PM EDT
[#30]

I get that....I am just curious as to how high the 1st stage which is reusable could send the dragon capsule up? Like would it be enough to send it up high enough to then glide from Florida to the North Sea?

I just looked, that's 50 miles high at 7000 MPH.....I wonder what the glide ratio of the capsule would be at that point?

The upper celtic sea is like 2000 miles away from the Cape in FL, sooo 40:1 would be needed.....40 miles of travel for every 1 mile in altitude.

But I am starting to think, well maybe, they can launch Falcon 9s with crew dragons back and forth. Falcon 9 with crew dragon lifts off from FLA, then travels towards the UK, when it gets to the correct apogee, the two stages seperate, Falcon 9 lands on a barge in the celtic sea, and Crew Dragon also lands there or the North Sea, I would think the english channel would be too small.

But I do think Bezos capsule is a better fit for this mission as they can land on the ground.

Maybe Have Falcon 9s with the Bezos module on top and run back and forth like that.
View Quote

The whole point of the Starship is to make the upper stage carry systems like Dragon to where you can make that stage man-rated and also be able to land itself. The second stage is an SSTO and will easily be able to self-land (I mean, look at all the tests they've done) if they altered it to not pull the high-G bellyflop (unless they want passengers to deal with 4.5G). The second stage contains 8,300 m/s of dV at 1,320 ton / 120 ton. It will be able to do whatevers' asked of it.

So no, you won't ever see a Falcon 9 doing Earthly transportation. It won't need to. The Starship can easily, easily do all of that. That's why its being built: It will be able to land on 5 different planets and dozens of moons.

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 5:08:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#31]
These are bad now too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:36:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AmericanPeople:
These are bad now too.
View Quote

I caught the LA one before it expired. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:54:12 PM EDT
[#33]
I am bummed they haven't been on camera.  Even if was just few minutes it would be cool. The smile on the young girl's face during launch is priceless. There have be more smiles like that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:56:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ASUsax] [#34]

If they keep going out of their way to tell us that the crew is fine but keep up the video blackout, I'm going to get suspicious. Was there a barforama? Space madness?

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By ErikS:
I am bummed they haven't been on camera.  Even if was just few minutes it would be cool. The smile on the young girl's face during launch is priceless. There have be more smiles like that.

Most likely they don't want to intrude too much on the Netflix documentary that goes along with this. Gotta sell those subscriptions...
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 7:57:13 PM EDT
[#35]

I LOL'ed at this one in the office today and my Boss came over... fortunately he LOL'ed also...
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 8:49:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Fucking SpaceX is the best thing about our current time.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:47:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Well I just waved hello at them as they passed 60º to my SE.  :)
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:54:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Between the Moon, all the lights around where I live, and some slight haze it was way to bright to see Dragon.  There was a really nice pass from the ISS about an hour ago, though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 9:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AmericanPeople] [#39]
I just saw it.  It was around magnitude 3 as it passed due north.  Looking for it as it approaches due north or south and in the eastern sky is better than trying to look at it anywhere close to the western horizon.

I looked naked eye but had it crossed over a bright star binoculars could have helped.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:06:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

Most likely they don't want to intrude too much on the Netflix documentary that goes along with this. Gotta sell those subscriptions...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

Originally Posted By ErikS:
I am bummed they haven't been on camera.  Even if was just few minutes it would be cool. The smile on the young girl's face during launch is priceless. There have be more smiles like that.at

That would make sense. The thing that got me wondering though is that during the webcast they said they were waiting for some video and then when they ended the webcast they said they'd try to put it on social media or something like that. Feels unplanned.

Oh well. Their ship, their rules.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:08:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Between the Netflix thing, and the children's hospital thing, I would not be surprised if all the video is contractually blocked.
Scarcity becomes value.
Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:09:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Between the Netflix thing, and the children's hospital thing, I would not be surprised if all the video is contractually blocked.
Scarcity becomes value.
View Quote

One day into a three day trip....a three day trip.  (Cue Gilligan's Island music).

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Link Posted: 9/16/2021 11:04:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Taboot:
Fucking SpaceX is the best thing about our current time.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:01:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By FrankyRay:
Grabbed a screen shortly after MAX-Q. Check that look on Hayley's face.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/546602/Inspiration4LaunchHayley_01_jpg-2092240.JPG

Priceless.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 12:27:09 AM EDT
[#46]

Link Posted: 9/17/2021 6:43:11 AM EDT
[#47]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_dZHO1WEAAa6f-?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_dZHPPWYAIRRTP?format=jpg&name=900x900

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_dZJL3XMAA1Lgh?format=jpg&name=medium

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E_dZJNZWEAAKc2H?format=png&name=900x900
View Quote

Those pictures are priceless!   But also really expensive!
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 9:15:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:18:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 9/17/2021 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By kill-9:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kill-9:

The comment - ' Definitely not flat '
Page / 151
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top