Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2021 4:25:59 PM EDT
We all know that beans in chili is acceptable as long as you’re in a northern state but what about pepperoni in spaghetti? I put sausage, ground beef and pepperoni in my spaghetti but an Italian chick that I work with said pepperoni is a no-no in spaghetti. What sayeth the hive?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've tried it with extra lean (97/3) ground beef, turkey sausage and turkey pepperoni.

It was good.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
the Italian chick is right.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We all know that beans in chili is acceptable as long as you're in a northern state but what about pepperoni in spaghetti? I put sausage, ground beef and pepperoni in my spaghetti but an Italian chick that I work with said pepperoni is a no-no in spaghetti. What sayeth the hive?
View Quote
Never seen that before. I'd say it is untraditional. But since what you're cooking isn't really Italian, but rather "Italian inspired American food" fucking go for it. If you like it, keep doing it. Cultural appropriation and improvement isn't a bad thing, its what made America great.

That said, it doesn't sound all that good to me.

As for the Italian girl, tell her, "If you want it like your granny made, come over and show me how its done." She will, and you'll probably get some action too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:29:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Granny used to put spaghetti noodles in her chili. I know GD may collectively commit seppuku over such heresy, but it was delicious. It was a left over habit from the Depression, I suppose.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
The addition of pepperoni must be to make up for the lack of golfball sized meatballs that simmered in homemade sauce for hours. I feel sorry for spaghetti that thinks it's pizza.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Might as well put pineapple in your spaghetti sauce too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Granny used to put spaghetti noodles in her chili. I know GD may collectively commit seppuku over such heresy, but it was delicious. It was a left over habit from the Depression, I suppose.
View Quote
That's Spaghetti Red, not uncommon. There was a restaurant in my home town that had been there for 80 years or something serving that. I got it once in a while.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Try some brown sugar in your spaghetti. Game changer
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No beans in spaghetti...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Who in their mom's basement living hell uses pepperoni in spaghetti.

Put down the Mountain Dew and Playstation controller and start by learning to do your own laundry, then try your hand at cooking ground beef or turkey sausage. Maybe some day you can even graduate to cutting up and adding vegetables.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:45:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Italian chick NI
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:46:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Pepperoni in spaghetti is acceptable, but it is not an intrinsic feature like beans are for chili
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:52:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes and no.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Rule 1

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#16]
a top notch Italian Sausage or Chicken is the only appropriate meat with pasta.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:55:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Let’s not stop at pepperoni. Let’s add salami and hot capicola.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:57:45 PM EDT
[#18]
OP, can you describe the hand gestures this Italian woman used when telling you no to putting  peperoni in spaghetti?

Because it is highly likely her hands said less polite things than her mouth did  

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I use Jimmy Dean bulk Italian sausage in spaghetti sauce.  To further outrage GD sensibilities, I buy it at Walmart.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use Jimmy Dean bulk Italian sausage in spaghetti sauce.  To further outrage GD sensibilities, I buy it at Walmart.
View Quote

This may blow your mind but I also use plain hamburger...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:08:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This may bow your mind but I also use plain hamburger...
View Quote

Bow my mind it does !
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]
What I use.

Sweet Italian sausage. or / with

Hot Italian Sausage or

Boned chicken breasts or

Seared pork country ribs or

Meatballs from ground beef or

Ground meat (beef) browned for meat sauce.

No pepperoni, no pineapple, no beans.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the Italian chick is right.
View Quote

This !
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:14:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Spaghetti noodles in chili means you likely have kin from Ohio .??  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Now about the sauce, a red sauce or brown sauce,or as my Italian immigrant grandparents called it, "gravy". My grandmother would put cinnamon in the "gravy" I always thought that was weird...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:16:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I serve it ON spaghetti sometimes. Called Chili Mac, and it is GTG.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:18:28 PM EDT
[#27]
I put fresh Italian sausage or meatballs in my homemade sauce, but put whatever you want in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#28]
My dad makes his spaghetti with beans!

It's actually Chilli the first night, then left overs turn into spaghetti.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Spaghetti noodles in chili means you likely have kin from Ohio .  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Spaghetti noodles in chili means you likely have kin from Ohio .  
None that I've ever found. All my kin is on the Ky/TN line. Kentucky is a bit of a melting pot of culture so that may explain it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:29:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who in their mom's basement living hell uses pepperoni in spaghetti.

Put down the Mountain Dew and Playstation controller and start by learning to do your own laundry, then try your hand at cooking ground beef or turkey sausage. Maybe some day you can even graduate to cutting up and adding vegetables.
View Quote

LOL  Gives poster shit about pepperoni and then suggests turkey sausage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top