BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That Express guns are "Wingmasters" with different finishes is not accurate.

The 870 Express guns were never parkerized, Remington used a less expensive "matte blue" that didn't require the smoothing & polish of a traditional "Gloss Blue"...

Also instead of using Walnut wood with cut checkering (Wingmaster) they usually had a "hard wood" (Usually Birch) with pressed checkering.  The interior parts did not get the same level of polish, so an "express" is rarely as smooth as a Wingmaster or Police Magnum.

The Matte Blue Express guns sadly tend to rust very easily.  The Parkerizing on Police Magnum Guns is much more resistant because the "parkerize pores" hold oil.  

The 870 Police Guns were available either Blued or Parkerized.  They were built on a seperate line and had upgrades unique to the Police Magnum line.

Bonus is that over time the Parkerized guns take on a cool Olive Drab appearance as they age.

that said, my son shoots great with his 870 Express, and it has killed everything that he pointed it at without a jam or bobble, so the "Express" DOES get the job done!

BIGGER_HAMMER

View Quote

The Express is a good base to start with.  I immediately tore mine down completely and had it Cerakoted FDE.  Then I replace about every internal part with quality aftermarket stuff that can be bought cheap.  Magpul furniture finished off the project.  

Still, I wouldn’t pass up an older Wingmaster or 1100.  You did good OP, nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I heard the express had some plastic parts and was different.

I have an express BTW, I assumed the only difference was the finish and perhaps wood when I bought it circa '86.

The police model 870P is supposed to have some enhanced internals. I've heard it was the best of all 870s, always wanted one.
View Quote

@Dons

I believe you are correct when dealing with newer made Express guns. My trigger assembly is aluminum. Not sure when the transition was made to poly trigger groups. Perhaps someone can/will chime in with more details......
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:22:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an older 870 police magnum. It is a nice smooth shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:35:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

@Dons

I believe you are correct when dealing with newer made Express guns. My trigger assembly is aluminum. Not sure when the transition was made to poly trigger groups. Perhaps someone can/will chime in with more details......
View Quote

My Express has the plastic trigger assembly, I bought it about  2014.  No issues with it but I’d rather have metal of course.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:45:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Nice snag.

I have a pile of 870s and the last one I got was a 2013 Remington 870 Express 12ga. Paid $100 for it.

https://i.imgur.com/G4Xt1kN.jpg

It strangely is the only 12ga 870 in my collection that have removable chokes but it didn't come with all the chokes. I bought the missing chokes for $5 for the entire set. Local shop had one of those little choke tube carrying cases in the closeout box. They had all the chokes in them. I told the store owner, and he said fuck it. If it is marked $5, you get it for $5. What's funny is he had individually packaged choke tubes marked for $15 each.

All my other 870s in 12ga have fixed choked barrels. But they're all from the 70s or before.
View Quote

Unless it was a "special offer" Remington or a distributor was running at the time usually they just came with one choke tube, mostly modified. You may or may not even get the cheap-ass butterfly wrench.

Thing was if you ordered the three-choke Rem-Choke/wrench set you ended-up with two chokes of the same size. ebay used to be awash with single modified Rem-chokes after folks ordered the standard three-choke set.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 1:49:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoting myself, but rechecked now I'm not sure when mine was made.  SN prefix is "S" and it has the older style fore end.  Lots of markings on barrel I've been unable to decipher thus far.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44277/Screen_Shot_2020-04-22_at_8_32_39_AM_png-1380479.JPG
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/44277/Screen_Shot_2020-04-22_at_8_32_05_AM_png-1380481.JPG
View Quote

@rlltd42

From you second pic.....Looks like June of 1957 if the barrel has not been swapped. date codes were just applied to the barrels. I don't think even Remington can tell you the born-on date by serial # on the receiver.

P = June
D = 1957

It's a lot easier on Remington rifles as it's unlikely the barrels were changed.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 2:11:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard for many of the younger gun guys to believe but there was a time that most any Remington was built with quite a bit of pride by some skilled guys
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Hard for many of the younger gun guys to believe but there was a time that most any Remington was built with quite a bit of pride by some skilled guys
View Quote

Same with S&W revolvers.
My N-Frames are works or art.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 3:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top