BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

U hall and the Hardee's near it are no more.
View Quote

Did they tear down U Hall?

As for Putt Putt, they had a Professional Putters of America organization.

They had a TV show, and the putters took that SERIOUSLY

Remember Billy Packer?  He was one of the hosts (announcers)

They were a hoot

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 10:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:10:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Florida, Tier 1 mini-golf comes with live gators and you can pay for the privilege of feeding them raw chicken strips with a cane pole.

https://www.smugglersgolf.com/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74872/AMI-Smugglers-Cove_jpg-2337009.JPG

View Quote

Been there
Attachment Attached File

May have been "pirates cove".
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:11:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I remember "castles and coasters" when it was still "Golf and Stuff"  They just had the giant castle/arcade/snack bar and the bumper cars and a couple smaller rides.
View Quote

Back when Metro Center was the shit and still had an ice rink.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#6]
I still remember the jingle from the radio ads. There hasn’t been an actual Putt Putt around here in over 30 years.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#7]
There was one on the west side of Indianapolis for quite some time. Used to go there on Saturday afternoons, then go roller skating at United Skates of America on the west side.
Hurry home after skating Saturday night to watch Monty Pythons Flying Circus.
That was my Saturday during my mid teens.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:22:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I remember "castles and coasters" when it was still "Golf and Stuff"  They just had the giant castle/arcade/snack bar and the bumper cars and a couple smaller rides.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We still have them in AZ.

That place is ghetto AF
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:23:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Many good memories of mini golf in Ocean City, MD from childhood . A standout is the time my brother took a piss in one of the water hazards
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:28:04 AM EDT
[#10]

Yes! This one and the one up in Petosky, MI and a few others around the country. Hours of fun getting kids off video games and cell phones.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:31:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What's crazy to me is that I remember most of the holes in the OP.  They must have had a template for what a Putt-Putt course was, and replicated them exactly.  
View Quote

They do. I looked into a Putt-Putt franchise many years ago when they were still popular. One point they made repeatedly was they had a blueprint for success, right down to course design.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 11:38:24 AM EDT
[#12]
We had one in Victoria.  Played many games there for birthday parties as a kid.  Sadly I think it is gone.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:39:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We still have them in AZ.

I'd be interested to know where one can still be found in AZ.  

We had one off of 27th Ave and Butler, and just south of that was a more elaborate miniature golf place named Green Gables IIRC.

I grew up at Dunlap and I-17 and can remember pre-Metro Center/Golf & Stuff

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:50:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes! This one and the one up in Petosky, MI and a few others around the country. Hours of fun getting kids off video games and cell phones.
View Quote

Growing up in Petoskey, I was there almost every weekend in the summer!  The original one is in Traverse City.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Took many a date there in the 80s.  Best birthday party of my 13 year old ass was putt putt.

Unlimited video games!!!

Did you know there was a “professional” putt putt tournament league?  I’m serious.  I saw it on espn de ocho.
View Quote

The tournaments were shown on a 30 minute TV program.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#16]
An aquatence of mine is a Landscape Architect for the Pitt-Putt company,  designing their courses. It's been a couple of years since I've seen him, but as far as I know they are still in business.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:30:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There's one in Burlington, NC.
View Quote

High Point still has theirs too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:34:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Used to play in the Monday night tournaments with my Dad, and then youth league on Saturday mornings.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:35:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They do. I looked into a Putt-Putt franchise many years ago when they were still popular. One point they made repeatedly was they had a blueprint for success, right down to course design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's crazy to me is that I remember most of the holes in the OP.  They must have had a template for what a Putt-Putt course was, and replicated them exactly.  

Really seems like one of those things where you'd really have to ask if the name recondition and such "expertise" is really worth the lack of autonomy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:45:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They were a hoot

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

U hall and the Hardee's near it are no more.

They were a hoot

Went big $$$ and built John Paul Jones arena.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Putt Putt is not the same as cheesy tourist trap mini golf.

View Quote

Correct. Bouncing the ball off brick is not Putt Putt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 4:59:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Any other putter but a putt putt putter would putt in a puddle of “sploosh”…… but a putt putt putter is a much better putter…….
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
We still have one about 45 minutes outside my AO but it’s overrun by hood rats.

ETA: Nevermind it finally cratered and closed down as well
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:04:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I grew up going to Putt-Putt in Hutchinson, KS.  I loved that place!  I cant even remember when it closed.
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
In Florida, Tier 1 mini-golf comes with live gators and you can pay for the privilege of feeding them raw chicken strips with a cane pole.

https://www.smugglersgolf.com/

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74872/AMI-Smugglers-Cove_jpg-2337009.JPG

View Quote
You can also steal the gators and embarrass your university.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The greenskeeper there sucks.
View All Quotes

That would be me and my parents,we don't want it to be too nice,takes all the challenge out of it. Ever hit a ball and watch go perfect until it hits the ground where a small rock is sticking up sending it in the opposite direction...
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#29]
There's at least three of them within a couple of miles of my condo in fort Myers
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was looking for course blueprints, wonder if you could find online?
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They were a hoot

View Quote

Yep. No more U Hall, it's all JPJ Arena now.  UH went like 2 years ago.  Sad to see.

The White Spot is still in business, though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2022 9:04:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Little Jons is gone and The White Spot is just The Spot. Plan 9 left the corner and became a CVS. We got thrown out of that place on closing night, Paul Curreri wasn't taking any shit

We go back every few years, it's never the same as it was before.
View Quote

Max and Trax, also gone.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Yep. No more U Hall, it's all JPJ Arena now.  UH went like 2 years ago.  Sad to see.

The White Spot is still in business, though.
View Quote

I knew they built J Paul, I didn't know they had demolished UHall though

Thanks

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#34]
I worked at Malibu Castle Golf and Games in my 20's.  I think it closed in 2015, we had some great after work get togethers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:31:36 PM EDT
[#35]
We called it "Slut-Putt". That is where all the teenage girls with ten pounds of makeup and hairspray would go looking like something out of a 80's hairband rock video. Too bad that I was dork as a teen and would just go to play the video games. On the plus side I never contracted herpes.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Used to be one on Gordon highway in Augusta that had tournaments. My stepbrother used to compete in them for his age group. Also went to some others around this area too to compete. There have been two others in Augusta I remember. One might not have been affiliated with PUTT PUTT though. It had a go cart track and chip and putt golf course along with it. They sold that and built a shopping center for Kmart where it was on Washington road in Martinez. The other one built later off of Washington road may still be there have not looked in a long time but it shows up as open online.
There was another fun center place near I-20 for many years that had go carts and video games. Not sure if it had some type of miniature golf course or not.

Stepbrother told me on the PUTT PUTT ones where they had matchesto  just to look for the place the balls had hit the most on the side boards and aim there for the hole in one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:17:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Animal Tracks Putt Putt in Mackinaw City.

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#38]
There's one close by which is fun to play.  It's not just a flat course.  There are hills to go up or down, and holes which take your ball to a lower level by the green.  There's even a 'river' which you can hit your ball into which will carry your ball to the green.  It's actually fun to play.

Attachment Attached File
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top