BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 5:38:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2024 9:45:28 PM EDT
[#2]
If you need to a 3 pack of Noctua 4 pin fan extensions is like $10 on Amazon.

Running fans off a hub can work but you either need software that constantly runs in the background OR if you do something like bios fan tuning the fan speed control will send one signal out that sets every fan to the same RPM despite being in different locations or different sizes.

I just have a personal disdain for 'extra' shit that runs in the background but everyone who builds their own PC has a unique setup and some of the cases coming out how have more fans than there are headers for or the newer fans that daisy chain.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J] [#3]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 9:32:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: castlebravo84] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By D_J:

I get it and it makes sense. At the least, I should put the rear fan on another plug since it is a different size from the front. The AIO radiator fans are on a splitter but I think they should run the same speed anyhow. Any new fans will get their own mb location.

One thing that still has me scratching my head is the RAM. It’s DDR5-6000, but if I leave the BIOS on auto detect it shows it as DDR5-4800. I have it manually set to 6000 and all the auto detect timing is correct in both configs so

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/174335/IMG_1674-3319974.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

Running fans off a hub can work but you either need software that constantly runs in the background OR if you do something like bios fan tuning the fan speed control will send one signal out that sets every fan to the same RPM despite being in different locations or different sizes.

I just have a personal disdain for 'extra' shit that runs in the background but everyone who builds their own PC has a unique setup and some of the cases coming out how have more fans than there are headers for or the newer fans that daisy chain.

I get it and it makes sense. At the least, I should put the rear fan on another plug since it is a different size from the front. The AIO radiator fans are on a splitter but I think they should run the same speed anyhow. Any new fans will get their own mb location.

One thing that still has me scratching my head is the RAM. It’s DDR5-6000, but if I leave the BIOS on auto detect it shows it as DDR5-4800. I have it manually set to 6000 and all the auto detect timing is correct in both configs so

Under DRAM Profile Configuration you should be able to select the preprogrammed EXPO or XMP profile for your DDR5 kit assuming it has one.  That is likely what you already did if it auto set the correct timings.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:22:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#6]

I did.  Just not sure why it auto-detects the wrong frequency.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By castlebravo84:
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

One thing that still has me scratching my head is the RAM. It's DDR5-6000, but if I leave the BIOS on auto detect it shows it as DDR5-4800. I have it manually set to 6000 and all the auto detect timing is correct in both configs so

Under DRAM Profile Configuration you should be able to select the preprogrammed EXPO or XMP profile for your DDR5 kit assuming it has one.  That is likely what you already did if it auto set the correct timings.

The rated speed is with EXPO enabled. I have DDR4 but mine is rated to 4000mhz. I only get that speed running XMP II. XMP I gives me 3600mhz. With no profile enabled it runs at 3200mhz.

On GSkill's website:

* Enable the EXPO profile in the BIOS to reach up to the rated overclock speed of this memory kit. Maximum memory speed and system stability depends on the capability of the motherboard & CPU.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:15:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nophun] [#7]

View Quote

RAM has a chip one it which gives the BIOS basic timing (SPD) that is guaranteed stable for system start up and testing.
EXPO is basically factory approved overclocking. If something wasn't quite right on system build, the EXPO speed could cause
system crashes; SPD allows you to eliminate RAM timing as the cause.

or something like that

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By nophun:

RAM has a chip one it which gives the BIOS basic timing (SPD) that is guaranteed stable for system start up and testing.
EXPO is basically factory approved overclocking. If something wasn't quite right on system build, the EXPO speed could cause

or something like that

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By nophun:

or something like that

True, and at least on my system, when doing a bios update some settings get reset. I have to go enable XMP II, re-run the fan tuning, and other annoying shit like the boot loading screen settings. I prefer to have the traditional boot loader AMI screen for ~5 seconds and then remove the boot logo lol
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:11:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Run this test and post a screengrab of your results.

https://zentimings.com/
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:37:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/17/2024 6:40:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#12]
@D_J

Your RAM is running at 6000 MT/s (often mistakenly thought of as MHz)

MCLK=UCLK (3000:3000)

UCLK is the Unified Memory Controller Clock Frequency - essentially the clock speed of the on-die memory controller.
MCLK is the Master Clock frequency.

You want UCLK=MCLK

In short, you're GTG.

I tweaked a few other RAM timings a little, based on advice from overclock.net
I don't know enough to advise you on that, but I did see these increases:

Write - 5%
Read - 12%
Copy - 4%
Latency - 8%

One thing I did on my own was bump the FCLK up from 2000 to 2200. FCLK is the clock frequency of the infinity fabric interconnect.
Mistake!  My computer wouldn't even POST after that, and I had to reload the default BIOS and redo all my settings.

I did eventually increase it to 2133, again based on advice from the helpful experts at overclock.net
One of them told me this:

Essentially every Raphael CPU that isn't defective will do 2000 FCLK. ~90% of them will do 2100 FCLK. More than half will do 2133 FCLK. Past that things start to fall off pretty quickly; probably less than one-in-fifty will do 2200+ FCLK with any kind of stability and most won't POST.

Lesson learned.  Memory tweaking is a game best left to the experts, not neophytes like me.
Your 7800X3D is a Raphael chip.  I think you're fine leaving FCLK at 2000.  I use my computer almost exclusively for playing Microsoft Flight Simulator, which is the most demanding game there is on system resources. I want as much performance as I can squeeze out of it while remaining 100% stable.

Link Posted: 9/17/2024 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/18/2024 7:46:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Thanks.  I'm vaguely familiar with OC on the Intel chips, but I haven't had an AMD CPU in ... maybe forever, not sure, and don't think I ever tuned my RAM.  I don't recognize 99% of the tuning/BIOS parameters so I play to leave everything alone for quite a while.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By eracer:
@D_J

Your RAM is running at 6000 MT/s (often mistakenly thought of as MHz)

MCLK=UCLK (3000:3000)

UCLK is the Unified Memory Controller Clock Frequency - essentially the clock speed of the on-die memory controller.
MCLK is the Master Clock frequency.

You want UCLK=MCLK

In short, you're GTG.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/31267/ARF_-_D_J_ZenTimings-3324635.png

I tweaked a few other RAM timings a little, based on advice from overclock.net
I don't know enough to advise you on that, but I did see these increases:

Write - 5%
Read - 12%
Copy - 4%
Latency - 8%

One thing I did on my own was bump the FCLK up from 2000 to 2200. FCLK is the clock frequency of the infinity fabric interconnect.
Mistake!  My computer wouldn't even POST after that, and I had to reload the default BIOS and redo all my settings.

I did eventually increase it to 2133, again based on advice from the helpful experts at overclock.net
One of them told me this:

Essentially every Raphael CPU that isn't defective will do 2000 FCLK. ~90% of them will do 2100 FCLK. More than half will do 2133 FCLK. Past that things start to fall off pretty quickly; probably less than one-in-fifty will do 2200+ FCLK with any kind of stability and most won't POST.

Lesson learned.  Memory tweaking is a game best left to the experts, not neophytes like me.
Your 7800X3D is a Raphael chip.  I think you're fine leaving FCLK at 2000.  I use my computer almost exclusively for playing Microsoft Flight Simulator, which is the most demanding game there is on system resources. I want as much performance as I can squeeze out of it while remaining 100% stable.

Thanks.  I'm vaguely familiar with OC on the Intel chips, but I haven't had an AMD CPU in ... maybe forever, not sure, and don't think I ever tuned my RAM.  I don't recognize 99% of the tuning/BIOS parameters so I play to leave everything alone for quite a while.

If you want to tune it further without getting too deep into the weeds, I would suggest copying the settings in this guide.  Odds are it will work, and it will be extremely close in performance to a max effort ram OC.

Easy memory timings for Hynix DDR5 with Ryzen 7000
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top