Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2023 6:02:26 PM EDT
Does anyone know of a forum, here or elsewhere, where I can find out the value of a PTR91 I have?

ETA: Photos on 8/1/23
It looks like there is a port buffer installed which I believe covers the serial number. I am going to remove that when I have time. Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm trying to do this between meetings. Overall the gun looks really clean.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:07:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of a forum, here or elsewhere, where I can find out the value of a PTR91 I have?
View Quote

Maybe the HK forum in the Armory section?  

Also maybe just Google search for whatever that particular model is going for new and go from there?  Unless it’s one of the pistol versions they made a few years back they are more or less all still in production.  Some of the older ones may be seen as more desirable as they were made with stuff from military parts kits but then you would have to figure out how to establish all that and I’m not sure many folks shopping for a PTR are going into that much depth.  With the promise of new made Turkish 91s I could see the desire ability of PTRs waning a bit.  Then you also had the era from when PTR was using shallow flutes or whatever and they were picky about ammo which is not really a desirable characteristic for an HK pattern.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
They're common enough that searching completed GunBroker auctions will put you in the ballpark
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:09:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Something tells me mine is worth more than the $899 I paid to CDNN back when they still sent out paper magazines.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:19:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something tells me mine is worth more than the $899 I paid to CDNN back when they still sent out paper magazines.
View Quote

They are $1,100-1,200 currently from Atlantic… so a bit more than the old days but not much considering the new rifles seem to come a little more tricked out with top rails better aluminum hand guards. Best thing from when I bought mine from CDNN for $899 was they had a deal where you could get a collapsing stock for another $50.  It’s pretty uncomfortable to shoot but I’m glad I got one for $50 because I definitely wouldn’t want to have paid a ridiculous price for one now.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I recently sold one on consignment. It was a ban era so no muzzle brake. I sent it to bill Springfield for basic trigger job which still sucked just not as bad. Best part it had a factory HK collapsible stock.  It had been shot very little. I got $1200 for mine.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:23:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought the regular GI version (no rail) from Atlantic about 3 months ago for about $1,170.00
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:23:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks Guys. I bought mine probably 15 years ago or so but I lost all the details about the rifle. It's sat in the safe since. I know nothing about PTR's. Sounds like it might not matter at this point. I thought someone might be able to look at pics and give me an idea of what I have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditch that thing ang get you some MKE
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:28:05 PM EDT
[#9]
1.125 Billion
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks Guys. I bought mine probably 15 years ago or so but I lost all the details about the rifle. It's sat in the safe since. I know nothing about PTR's. Sounds like it might not matter at this point. I thought someone might be able to look at pics and give me an idea of what I have.
View Quote
Just post the pictures here.  There's some accesories like an H&K collapsible stock and german ZF scope that were once cheap, but now could bump the value significantly.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d guess $800-1000 without looking it up. Maybe as high as 1200.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I gave $1100 for my "GI"(basic military clone rifle without optics rail) model last year. A couple of weeks later AIM(not where I bought from, though) had them on sale for $900.

They sit in the EE for a while at around $900 for the used basic models with no accessories/upgrades.

Given the age of yours, it might have some original HK/surplus parts in it. PTR also had some issues with their rifles at some point(s) over the years. Post some pics and/or a serial number range and we could give you a little more detail.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Just post the pictures here.  There's some accesories like an H&K collapsible stock and german ZF scope that were once cheap, but now could bump the value significantly.

View Quote

Or the $150 black or $300 green wide handguard.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:11:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks Guys. I'll get pics up tomorrow along with serial number range. Appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot depends on the vintage and pedigree.
If it is an actual “JLD PTR 91” it will bring a better price. Those were the first versions and as mentioned will carry more HK or FMP (Portuguese) parts.
Very, very early guns (like the first 200+-) were known to have some trunnion problems from incorrect welding.
Serial numbers roughly under A6000 bear Wilson barrels that are correctly chambered/fluted. A6000 and above have Thompson Center barrels and for whatever reason ($$$) they started messing with chambering/fluting and they had problems. When the SN’s went to “AW” prefixes was when JLD ( John Luis Diaz) sold out and it became PTR Industries. Up until about SN AW8XXX they were plagued with barrel issues.
Post AW8XXX seem to be sorted out but about this time HK & FMP parts started getting harder to find.
There were trunnion issues (cracking) back about the 2012-2014ish time frame- that was due to using incorrect trunnion/barrel pins iirc.
Can’t make a statement on the later G series rifles, haven’t played with one.

The JLD rifles are great rifles and on par with the real deal or the Springfield SAR’s.

PTR branded rifles are post JLD rifles and can be hit or miss, some run great- some are turds.

Edited to add more accurate info
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#16]
does it come with a chocolate chip cookie?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Deleted. No need to shit on this dude's thread.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:33:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Decent guns, I had a GI made in 2017 that I bought new in 2018 and shot for a few years and it got relegated to the box.  I sold it last year for what I paid for it, about $1,100.  It ate cheap steel case ammo without problems, the only thing I didn't like about it was the 5/8-24 muzzle threads meant it didn't take genuine G3 muzzle brakes.  Pretty much a good delineation point is the muzzle threads - if it is 5/8-24 the chambers were improved and it won't be ammo picky.  If it still has the metric muzzle threads and is castelated to allow a spring on the muzzle brake to keep it from backing off - there is a potential for it to be ammo picky.  Value is the same, different people have different tastes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#20]
I love mine, had it for a minute.
Has a rail now, but I haven’t put an optic on it because it’s been accurate and easy to shoot out to 300.
Runs like a raped ape. Mag dumps are fun and, unfortunately, more expensive now.
I put the Navy? trigger group on it about ten years ago. Trigger improved greatly.

Bought scores of mags for $2.99 each. Most are factory, NIW, sitting in the shipping box. Have both steel and alum.
I like it. Points well for me. Recoil isn’t anything like some of the pansies post. Even with the diopter I reacquire in no time. Reality is, you’re throwing decent lead very accurately.
The slap is satisfying too.

I gave $600 for mine… think I did well.

ETA: I really want a wide forearm with bipod.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A lot depends on the vintage and pedigree.
If it is an actual “JLD PTR 91” it will bring a better price. Those were the first versions and as mentioned will carry more HK or FMP (Portuguese) parts.
Very, very early guns (like the first 200+-) were known to have some trunnion problems from incorrect welding.
Serial numbers roughly under A6000 bear Wilson barrels that are correctly chambered/fluted. A6000 and above have Thompson Center barrels and for whatever reason ($$$) they started messing with chambering/fluting and they had problems. When the SN’s went to “AW” prefixes was when JLD ( John Luis Diaz) sold out and it became PTR Industries. Up until about SN AW8XXX they were plagued with barrel issues.
Post AW8XXX seem to be sorted out but about this time HK & FMP parts started getting harder to find.
There were trunnion issues (cracking) back about the 2012-2014ish time frame- that was due to using incorrect trunnion/barrel pins iirc.
Can’t make a statement on the later G series rifles, haven’t played with one.

The JLD rifles are great rifles and on par with the real deal or the Springfield SAR’s.

PTR branded rifles are post JLD rifles and can be hit or miss, some run great- some are turds.

Edited to add more accurate info
View Quote

Interesting. I wonder if mine is kit build. Has a PTR receiver (AW2xxx), but all the other parts including barrel are original HK.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:23:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Interesting. I wonder if mine is kit build. Has a PTR receiver (AW2xxx), but all the other parts including barrel are original HK.
View Quote

No, that is a factory rifle. The “kit” receivers all have the SN prefix of “B”.
AW2XXX range is still early enough that HK parts were readily available. The barrel is a curiosity, factory built rifles all had US barrels to the best of my knowledge.
Yours falls smack dab in the funky chamber/ fluting era. My guess is somebody had it rebarreled with a G3/91 barrel.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Added Photos to original post on 8/1/23
It looks like there is a port buffer installed which I believe covers the serial number. I am going to remove that when I have time. Sorry for the crappy pics, I'm trying to do this between meetings. Overall the gun looks really clean.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:49:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I bought one maybe 6 or 7 years ago for $399 from Century….I think. The mags were really inexpensive….I think I got 100 of a mix of used and NIW aluminum and steel for $350?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Carry handle plus Fat forearm and a bi-pod. If you can get it for 1K, your golden.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:53:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Got the wide forend and folding bipod on it.  Nice  The handguard is great. I have the thin one and it heats up pretty fast.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:53:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Got the wide forend and folding bipod on it.  Nice  The handguard is great. I have the thin one and it heats up pretty fast.
View Quote

I believe I have the thin handguard as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:07:12 PM EDT
[#28]
i have been wanting to get one of the hk  style rifles , but its so hit or miss quality of PTR  that its got me scared of buying,,,thats a beautiful rifle, the lack of paddle may not help the sales value but its nice for sure
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:11:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I bought one maybe 6 or 7 years ago for $399 from Century….I think. The mags were really inexpensive….I think I got 100 of a mix of used and NIW aluminum and steel for $350?
View Quote

I believe you're talking about a C308, not a PTR-91.

I've never seen one sell for much under $800, new.

They look similar, are related in heritage, and can use the same mags, even though there are dedicated CETME mags.

ETA - For example, my c308.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe I have the thin handguard as well.
View Quote

The wide handguard is much better and much, much more valuable. If your bipod is original HK then your looking at a few hundred dollars just in the handguard and bipod.

Hockeysew covered the history in great detail. Your rifle appears to be from just after the JLD to PTR transition. It was made at the JLD facility (prior to PTR's move to SC). The bolt carrier appears to be surplus from the pic. It has the round bolt-head locking-lever pin channel instead of the new-production rectangular slot. There should be manufacturer and date code on the top of the carrier.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The wide handguard is much better and much, much more valuable. If your bipod is original HK then your looking at a few hundred dollars just in the handguard and bipod.

Hockeysew covered the history in great detail. Your rifle appears to be from just after the JLD to PTR transition. It was made at the JLD facility (prior to PTR's move to SC). The bolt carrier appears to be surplus from the pic. It has the round bolt-head locking-lever pin channel instead of the new-production rectangular slot. There should be manufacturer and date code on the top of the carrier.
View Quote

@Clockwork138

It sounds like you know what you're talking about. Other than the bolt mfg./date code and serial number anything else I should be looking for? Do you have any idea which model this would be considered? Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
does it come with a chocolate chip cookie?
View Quote

Only if you take it in the shower.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 2:57:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Keep it, modernize it:

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:00:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Keep it, modernize it:

https://i.redd.it/6xybuzw4rv651.jpg
View Quote

@Rudukai13

Is your receiver powdercoated or the standard finish? My PTR has the standard finish and the magpul lower wiggles front to back a little. Not much but enough to irritate me. If non-powder, how did you get rid of the movement?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#35]
More pics posted in original OP of Bolt and carrier, serial number, hammer.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:24:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@Clockwork138

It sounds like you know what you're talking about. Other than the bolt mfg./date code and serial number anything else I should be looking for? Do you have any idea which model this would be considered? Thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Clockwork138

Sounds like you got the good stuff on yours. Kind of like an older Springfield M1A that were still being built with USGI parts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I believe you're talking about a C308, not a PTR-91.

I've never seen one sell for much under $800, new.

They look similar, are related in heritage, and can use the same mags, even though there are dedicated CETME mags.

ETA - For example, my c308.

https://i.postimg.cc/t4Yt2mrZ/IMG-20211009-113250414-HDR.jpg
View Quote

No, it’s a PTR91 but I may have gotten the price wrong ….not sure.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:32:36 PM EDT
[#38]
The German bipod is worth > $300.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:38:03 PM EDT
[#39]
That is a standard 91F, basic 18" HBAR model. It's early enough that you have good components on it- they are HK that you have pictured. Date on them is irrelevant- these guns are mixmasters of parts. Learn the correct way to check your bolt gap, it calls out .004 to .020.   .010 to .016 seems to be the sweet spot. Most of the guns I have seen where the owner complained about the recoil had bolt gaps outside of the preferred area.
That SN range falls into the area where the chamber/fluting can be an issue. Count the carbon tracks on a casing left by the fluting. If it is 12 you should be good to go, if it is 10 it may be finicky especially with lower powered ammo, try it with Winchester White box. If it runs that reliably you should have minimal issues unless you have a pile of tar sealed Portuguese or South African ammo- the tar gums up the shallower flutes the 10 flute guns are known for.
Aerosol carburetor cleaner is your friend when cleaning the trunnion recesses.

With the accessories shown I would think it would pull in the $1500-$1750 range.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

$699 for my GI.

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Bolt carrier is Rheinmetall. It's been a minute but the carrier tube on top should have no weld marks since reinstall made their carriers out of a single piece. If it has two odd colored spots on the rear of the carrier below the firing pin protrusion, then is a tungsten filled carrier. The tungsten was to reduce bolt bounce, but supposedly helps with overall recoil.

Rheinmetall carrier info

It may be an illusion, but it looks like your barrel is longer from the front sight post to the muzzle. I'm wondering if it's a g3k forend. I think ptr called them Patrol rifles.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No, it’s a PTR91 but I may have gotten the price wrong ….not sure.
View Quote

Roger that. Hell of a price, if you got it for that new.

Never heard of them selling that low.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:55:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Sorry - threads like this are not allowed in GD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top