Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 11:42:48 PM EDT
So this should be fun....

Lately i've been bitten by the DA/SA itch and am looking at the new Langdon Beretta PX4 Compact. I carry AIWB so hammer is always better IMO for me. However i've been using and owning glock 19's for about 8 years and owned probably 15 of them over that time. Only have one left. LOL

I've shot a full size PX4 and was very pleased with accuracy but never shot the G19 sized ones. Any experiences first hand with these?

I've been contemplating selling my G19 for one of these ($525):

Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:45:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
lol no
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Reminds me of a polymer version of a Walther P5 compact.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The rotating barrel apparently makes them very smooth shooters.

And freaking impossible to suppress.

I've been following the threads on p-f about them...they're very intriguing pistols, I'll give them that...and Earnest Langdon is one hell of a Beretta salesman

He made me want to buy one, and I don't even like Berettas
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The rotating barrel apparently makes them very smooth shooters.

And freaking impossible to suppress.

I've been following the threads on p-f about them...they're very intriguing pistols, I'll give them that...and Earnest Langdon is one hell of a Beretta salesman

He made me want to buy one, and I don't even like Berettas
View Quote

Same. I know they have a poor rep. But his posts and vids have got me thinking.

It's that or trade my G19 for a Beretta M9 + $100 cash.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:55:28 PM EDT
[#6]
this should be fun...

that said, carry what you like and want, i'd keep the G19 if it's your last one and just buy a new carry piece.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I wouldn't even say PX4s have a bad rep...I'd say they have no rep, at all. I don't even know if they take the same mags as the 92/M9 guns. I've heard they're very smooth shooting guns, but past that it's a solid 'meh' in a sea of mediocrity...to me, anyway. There's nothing special about it for me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I carry AIWB.  I like hammer-fired guns there as well.  Have you given any thought to a P229 or a P2000?  I ask because the dust cover on the PX4c doesn't look long enough to accommodate an XC1 if you want a WML.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#9]
This really shouldn't be a "G19 vs." thread.  If you want a DA/SA 9mm look at or start a thread about the best DA/SA 9mms out there.

A PX4 probably won't be one of them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I've got one.  I don't carry it but it's a nice shooter out of the box.  My wife likes it as well.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I had the 9mm compact version. Mags were kinda spendy. Slide with rotational barrel was smooth as butter. Cool gun but got rid of it because it was a fat pig. Would never carry one because of that.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife likes the PX4 compact.
Small grip for double column mag.
Low recoil.
Slide mounted safety adds leverage to rack slide.
Being thick is not a hindrance in gun purse.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I hate the 40.  I hate it even more in this pistol.  A few guys at work have them and by the lack of gloating I think they regret them slightly. They also have some tiny spring that can go airborn on disaasembly of the slide. I do like the feel of the pistol but think that its pretty much a loser compared to the 92 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a full size in .40 version and really like it.  I feel that the barrel rotation takes the snap out of .40.  I don't think the smaller version have the rotating barrel thing, however could be wrong.  I would also look at the CZ PCR.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:38:18 AM EDT
[#17]
I own a full size PX4 on 9mm

Recoil wise it's about on par with the Glock 17.

I'd essentially describe my full size as a DA/SA Glock 17.

My two gripes are the safety lever which they could have designed in a way that wouldn't damn near hurt though to use if you slingshot the slide, and the trigger which has a somewhat heavy release in Single Action. Beretta does make replacement safety levers and also makes a target hammer and hammer release for the pistol, so these things can be fixed. I'm currently planning on putting the low profile safety levers, slide release, and target hammer on mine.

However with all that being said, it's not a bad pistol at all. Damn if the thing ain't accurate and easy to use.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#18]
One thing you may or may not notice is how much less the slide prints due to the curved rear profile when compared to the squared off Glock slide.  It will particularly depend on where you carry forward of your hip, how much of an overhang you have (chest or stomach), and how high the holster rides.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:37:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I've owned both.  Glock wins by mile or two.  The Beretta is a massive chunk of a gun.  Levers and shit hanging off everywhere.  Plus if you want a rotating barrel design, Grand Power does it WAAAAAY better and lighter to boot.  A lot of nut-huggers started looking into the PX4 due to Langdon, but secretly I think he was angling for an endorsement deal, which he got.  It is not on the level of Glock in any way.  Mags cost a fortune, sights blow, grip is slick, etc etc.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:45:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Had both.

I'm going to tell you right now; DON'T.

The PX4 wasn't worth it. Nowhere near as good as my G19.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Between the p-07 and px4 for me. I don't mind the weight of my m9a1 compact but I would like a da/SA polymer gun to handle sweat and salt water better.

Let us know what you think. I've heard good things about them
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:49:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've owned both.  Glock wins by mile or two.  The Beretta is a massive chunk of a gun.  Levers and shit hanging off everywhere.  Plus if you want a rotating barrel design, Grand Power does it WAAAAAY better and lighter to boot. A lot of nut-huggers started looking into the PX4 due to Langdon, but secretly I think he was angling for an endorsement deal, which he got.  It is not on the level of Glock in any way.  Mags cost a fortune, sights blow, grip is slick, etc etc.
View Quote

I agree with the bolded statements.  I have no experience with the Grand Power pistols, but if I wanted a compact DA/SA 9mm hammer fired pistol a CZ RAMI would be at the top of my list.  Beretta PX4 would be pretty far down my list.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#23]
If you want a G-19 sized DA/SA look at a CZ P-01.

It's a fantastic pistol and I would expect mag prices and aftermarket support to be better, although in all fairness I've never looked at PX-4 gear.
Obviously, the Glock will crush both in terms of cost and availability of supporting equipment.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got one.  It is a little wide, especially with the de-cockers which stick out each side.  However, it is not nearly as bad as this thread makes it out to be.  The action is SMOOTH, the fit is super tight.  The sights are not the greatest known to man but they are miles ahead of the crappy plastic glock "U" sights.  

The real selling point for me is that it shoots pretty damn accurately for a compact pistol.  

If you like DA/SA pistols you would probably like this one.  

That price seems really high though.  If I recall I paid about $350 for mine, it was not the SS version though.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:09:09 PM EDT
[#25]
So you plan on getting rid of a G19 that has widely available parts versatility of mags and highly reliable and tested for an unknown pistol with hard to find parts and non compatible mags?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:12:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I carried a PX4 Compact for awhile. Good gun, smooth/light shooter, but several minor points got to me: Size of safety/slide release levers, slick grips, wasn't G-style decock-only, rail wasn't long enough to accept std-size WML's.

Good news is I just received an email from Beretta about their new PX4 Storm Compact Carry which fixes all my minor complaints above (except rail length) plus adds factory night sights.
If this had been available when I first investigated the PX4, I might still be carrying one...

Tomac
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:55:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I love my PX4 but then again I am a Beretta fan
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I have both, and I'll take the PX4 compact any day.  But I grew up on DA/SA guns and are very comfortable with their function.

For the record, the G19 in our family is my wife's, I've got a G26, G29 and G20. 
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#29]
CZ P07 is what you are actually looking for.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#30]
I had a cougar with the rotating barrel.
It was very smooth.
It wasn't very reliable outside in the dirt/dust.
Whenever I would take it to the dirty/dusty part of the range in the summer it simply malfunctioned way too much for my liking.
I took it multiple times in the same conditions and the same thing always happened.

My CZ P01 is my favorite pistol and has never let me down.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#31]
PX4 is a great pistol. I wouldn't trade a Glock for one.

I'm not a Glock guy at all, but I know how you Glock fans are. Get both?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top