Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2018 5:17:11 AM EDT
...AND ACCIDENTALLY EAT THEM!!!

Three pitbulls may be labeled "dangerous" after killing two neighbor dogs in Gahanna

"Franklin County Animal Control will ask a judge to label three pitbull-mixes as "dangerous dogs," after a horrifying attack that left two Shetland sheep dogs dead in their own home Friday.

Gahanna Police said in a report filed on Friday that the pit-mixes, living at a home on Howland Drive, broke out of their enclosed backyard and through a neighbor's fence, then pawed a patio door handle open. Once inside the neighboring home, the dogs apparently cornered two Shelties and mauled them, leaving one dog dead and the other suffering from a broken back and ribs.

The second dog was euthanized a short time later..."

"...Both police and animal control officers have been investigating the case through the weekend, and issued charges for loose dogs Monday, as well as notifying the pitbull owners that their dogs would be petitioned as "dangerous dogs" in Franklin County Court. The pitbull owners will have several weeks to respond and potentially challenge the designation."

"The owners of the deceased Shelties said that a "dangerous" label is not enough to make anyone feel safe.

"I think these dogs are vicious, and I don’t think they can be controlled," said Lisa Brosnahan. "(The owners) haven’t controlled them. I think they should be destroyed, and I don't say that lightly."

The pitbulls owners did not respond to a reporter at their front door Monday, instead walking away and shutting off indoor lights..."

"If a judge approves the "dangerous" designation, the offending dogs will have to be leashed at all times outdoors, and a "Dangerous Dog" sign will be planted in the front yard.

It would take an attack on a human, or several more animal attacks, for the dogs to be removed and possibly euthanized, according to Franklin County Animal Control director Kay Dixon."

Pics and more at link...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like an easily won lawsuit.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Bullshit. It was coyotes.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:34:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Not a lawyer, but chewing their way into a patio after.busting through 2 fences sounds a little high strung...

There's a house about a mile away with 5 pits and a low (30") chain link fence. House 1st floor front windows are covered with black plastic. Only seen them out once. No idea what goes on inside. ETA: maybe breeding? Hear that it can be a source of undocumented income.

Link to heated discussion between vets on pits and breed-specific legislation and spay/neuter programs

One excerpt:

"Veterinarians may consider concentrating their efforts at education toward pit bull owners. Pit bull owners largely refuse to neuter and spay their dogs. Please look up the April 1, 2011, issue of JAVMA. The table on page 901 shows percentages of dogs surgically castrated, by breed. It is no surprise that pit bulls are at the bottom of the list. Keep in mind that these numbers come from vets, the dogs were seen in their clinics. Many pit bulls never see the inside of a veterinary clinic. It is not choice driven by economic concerns that drives this. Any community in the United States can apply for grants for the purpose of, and limited to the neuter and spay of pit bulls. This surgery is done free of charge but still pit bull owners refuse. Kansas City got a grant of $100,000 dollars for pit bull neuter and spay. The city did direct mailings, radio ads, signs, and house to house visits, but a year later they returned almost $87,000 unused. Even free, pit bull owners did not want neuter and spay."

TBQH, I had not considered the economic angle of some breeding pits. They can purportedly have litters up to 14, twice a year. I'm seeing way, way more pits in both my neighborhood and relatives' neighborhoods. Lots of time they are walked by women or kids who would be absolutely incapable of restraining their dogs, should they choose to take off. Even the ones walked by adult males have flimsy neck leashes that wouldn't hold much of anything back. I'm disabled now and have older relatives who wouldn't stand a chance. Houses are close enough together that getting a clear (defensive) shot off is highly in doubt. Even when I was fully healthy I'm not sure how well I'd fare against 2 or more. Anyway, something has changed, at least in my AO, over the past 5 years or so. The population has exploded.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:06:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Funny how the mind can change things. I saw perky tits and thought I have got to read this post.
Coffee is almost ready, it helps.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Funny how the mind can change things. I saw perky tits and thought I have got to read this post.
Coffee is almost ready, it helps.
View Quote
Will use "pert pits" or "pendulous pits" in future titles, should an isolated incident like this recur...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:28:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Glad the neighborhood kids were at school.

Breed of Piece (s)/  Parts.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#7]
"If a judge approves the "dangerous" designation, the offending dogs will have to be leashed at all times outdoors, and a "Dangerous Dog" sign will be planted in the front yard.

It would take an attack on a human, or several more animal attacks, for the dogs to be removed and possibly euthanized, according to Franklin County Animal Control director Kay Dixon."
View Quote
No problem, this is why God invented sausage and antifreeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top