Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2023 11:00:19 AM EDT
Yeah, they're a bit much for a Mexican built guitar, but there was a $200 off coupon (although it wasn't that long ago the regular price was probably $200 less). So I said screw it, YOLO...

I was surprised that the neck is pretty much identical to my 2009 Fender American Standard Strat. I assumed since it was an EVH branded product, the neck would be a little thinner, like a Charvel. But it still feels good in the hand, so no complaints about the contour. Whatever they did to age the neck has a weird feel to it, but I expect as I play it, that'll smoothen out. It did, however, come setup and ready to play, and only required some slight tweaks to the fine tuners. Action is low, the D-Tuna works as advertised, the Wolfgang puckup sounds great (I may try a Frankenstein later on), and the paint doesn't have that weird transparent thing going on like the regular Striped series guitars do. And aside from the 1971D quarter, a slightly different selector switch in the middle pickup cavity, and the bicycle reflectors, it looks like the real thing. But you can tell that they used a sander to do the relicing. Thinking about going over those spots with some steel wool to smoothen out the look of the wear marks. And I may add a push-push volume knob, so I can switch the neck puckup into the circuit when I want (it's not hooked up at all now).

As far as what to play it through? Tried a few of my amps, but settled on the Placater (Friedman BE100) model in my Helix. Tried the Plexi models in it too, but the Placater won. But I did end up putting a 10 band EQ after the amp block and boosted the top end, because it still lacked that extra little sizzle that Eddie's tone has. Also, it should be noted that I run through a tube poweramp and into 4x12 cabs. So, that, and a little reverb, and there it is, the Brown Sound, in the flesh.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:58:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a fan of Relics but the EVH and SRV clones are prob the exception since they're so iconic. If you are a big EVH fan I can't see NOT having some iteration of a well worn EVH guitar. Very cool!
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 2:44:55 PM EDT
[#2]

What was the first EVH riff you played through the amp?
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Not a fan of Relics but the EVH and SRV clones are prob the exception since they're so iconic. If you are a big EVH fan I can't see NOT having some iteration of a well worn EVH guitar. Very cool!
View Quote

Thanks, man!

Quoted:

What was the first EVH riff you played through the amp?
View Quote

Unchained
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks, man!

Unchained
View Quote

I would think less of you if it hadn't been!
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 11:50:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations on the guitar.  On another note, this got me revisiting the early Van Halen catalog, I've been missing out.
Link Posted: 8/8/2023 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I want one but the price on them new is a bit much like you were saying. At least they're not 25k like the limited run

I will say that you'd think at that price it would have the frankenstrat pup already in it.

I'm still jealous
Link Posted: 8/30/2023 5:07:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I want one but the price on them new is a bit much like you were saying. At least they're not 25k like the limited run

I will say that you'd think at that price it would have the frankenstrat pup already in it.

I'm still jealous
View Quote

Yeah, I wish it had the Frankenstein pickup, but the Wolfgang ain't bad. I do wish I came with a hard case, though. Oh well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top