BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:53:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There'd be about what, a ~3psi differential when the door liberated?
View Quote
IIRC most flights are pressurized to about 8k ft and it blew at 16k ft, so yea, there abouts
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Looks like an escape door.   Nobody was sitting there and no pre flight warning sensor.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:57:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Holy fuck.  I fly Alaska exclusively, that's bad juju.

I wonder if that door will turn up somewhere.
View Quote

It might work as a Boogie board.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:57:39 PM EDT
[#4]
was on a flight over lake MI one January night enroute to Ft Campbell when the whole real ramp blew off the plane
but for those passengers in those seats...the stuff of nightmares...glad God spared them
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:57:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
IIRC most flights are pressurized to about 8k ft and it blew at 16k ft, so yea, there abouts
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There'd be about what, a ~3psi differential when the door liberated?

But, that's an ~8000 ft cabin equivalent up at max cruise. There's a sloped pressure schedule on climb and descent.  I'll see if I can find some charts.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:58:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm imagining what could happen if the door struck the h-stab...
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 11:58:17 PM EDT
[#7]
What is a "plug door" and why are they deactivated for pax jets?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#8]
And my kids are now in aisle seats for life.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:04:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:09:51 AM EDT
[#11]

I'm guessing a bunch of planes are getting grounded for urgent inspection soon.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have no idea.  But, this is a mid-cabin emergency exit (a bit different from the wing exits) and while it should have in-flight lockout mechanisms, it is most certainly not "deactivated" in flights with passengers aboard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:11:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Re Door Plug ….

The international MAX variants (mostly Asia) have high density seating that necessitate another exit door.  For jets in the US, they install a “plug” in that space.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:13:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I have no idea.  But, this is a mid-cabin emergency exit (a bit different from the wing exits) and while it should have in-flight lockout mechanisms, it is most certainly not "deactivated" in flights with passengers aboard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My understanding is that the fuselage is built with the opening for a door there, but depending on cabin layout and number of passengers, some of them (like this example) have the holes plugged instead of getting doors installed.  It looks kinda like the fasteners that hold the plug in failed.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:13:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Here’s more on it …

Door Plug
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:15:19 AM EDT
[#17]
A plug door is a door that is not used and not part of the evacuation procedure. As you can see from the pics, there are rows of seats in front of the door. This door can be reactivated if the seating rows are adjusted. Basically the seating configuration determines if the airline wants to use the door or not.

Airbus does the same thing on A321 and A321 NEO.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:20:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Airline mechanics, what are we looking at?
View Quote
I'm an avionics guy, so I'm kinda spitballing here.  It appears that there is a bigass hole where a door should be.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I'm an avionics guy, so I'm kinda spitballing here.  It appears that there is a bigass hole where a door should be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not a door, it's a plug, which isn't supposed to be like a door, but turns out it is more like a half door, because while it has no way to close, it can apparently open.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]
That door is not a plug door, it opens outward. A plug door is made so that it stays in place due to cabin pressure making it fit tighter, therefore they open inwards.

The doorframe latches appear to still be in place and I can’t see much damage due to shearing of the locks. The ones in the door will be interesting to see.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:26:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Based on the spacing of the remaining windows, leg room in that isle, and huge hole, I would say that is an emergency exit.
View Quote
There is no leg room in that aisle.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:26:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Says row 26
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:29:08 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Did the manifest have a passenger by the name D.B. Cooper Jr.?
View Quote

Todd Snider "D.B. Cooper" Live at KDHX 01/13/2012
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:29:48 AM EDT
[#24]
737-Max 9 with additional exit doors row 31 on a higher capacity plane (more cattle class seats and no first class).  Looks like it would be around row 24 (some else said 26 so I was close) on an Alaska Air plane.

The guy in that row is thinking "G-D, I knew I should have worn my brown pants today"
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:29:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
He's waiting for his phone to finish charging.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDH8lZRa8AE4Ofj?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

If you think for one second I’m going to touch my seat belt with that hole right there, you’re dreaming!

NFW I’m getting up!
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:33:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
He's waiting for his phone to finish charging.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GDH8lZRa8AE4Ofj?format=jpg&name=large
View Quote

I'm surprised he still has a phone to charge.  That pressure differential was probably on the order of what would roll a tractor trailer rig over sideways.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:34:57 AM EDT
[#28]
I never fly economy, some people just can't wait to exit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:35:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Based on the spacing of the remaining windows, leg room in that isle, and huge hole, I would say that is an emergency exit.
View Quote

The spacing between those rows isn’t far enough apart to be an emergency exit, IMO.

I think the whole panel around the window separated. I know the new A321NX’s have an overwing emergency exit that is a door that pops/swings up when you pull the handle. But, those are over the wing. This looks like it’s not near the wing.

ETA: This pic does look like one of the pop up exit doors.

Attachment Attached File

Still doesn’t look like enough room between the roses to me an exit.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:38:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Speaking out of my butt here, but there is only like 10 mins of oxygen for those masks.
View Quote

The O2 comes from oxygen generators at each row in the overhead. They produce for about 10-15 min.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:39:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mid Cabin Exit Door Plug

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:40:59 AM EDT
[#32]
This is what it looks like in door form.

Which is blocked like this when the airline puts less than 190 seats in the airplane:

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:41:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The spacing between those rows isn’t far enough apart to be an emergency exit, IMO.

I think the whole panel around the window separated. I know the new A321NX’s have an overwing emergency exit that is a door that pops/swings up when you pull the handle. But, those are over the wing. This looks like it’s not near the wing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These swing down.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:43:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
How cool would it be to stick your arm out and play airplane by tilting  your hand?
View Quote

My legs would be out, finally more leg room.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#35]
In Use:

Deactivated:

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:44:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How cool would it be to stick your arm out and play airplane by tilting  your hand?

Your legs would bend in a few places they shouldn't.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:44:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

These swing down.
View Quote

Ok. Thanks! I’m not fluent in 737’s.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:46:14 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ok. Thanks! I'm not fluent in 737's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These swing down.

Ok. Thanks! I'm not fluent in 737's.
Consider yourself fortunate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That was a moment in someone's life.
View Quote

They’ll have a hell of a story to tell to their friends, that’s for sure
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:47:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Speaking out of my butt here, but there is only like 10 mins of oxygen for those masks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It appears that the bags on the O2 masks indeed did not inflate.

There's no need for the system to provide more than that.  Even a casual descent rate will get the aircraft down to a manageable unpressurized environment before those little gen systems run out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_737-900ER_K65993-3-3083523.JPG

That "hole" matches up rather suspiciously with the emergency exit towards the tail. The one about 9 windows back from the wing.
View Quote

I guess in some less dense seating arrangements, that emergency exit isn't needed and paneled over and probably some other stuff.  The "probably some other stuff" part might be where something went wrong.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:50:03 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

These swing down.

Nobody can be an expert in everything.

This one is a “door plug”, but everyone keeps saying “plug door”.

A plug door is made not to get pushed out of the plane under pressure. All the other doors are plug doors, but not this one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:50:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
That row of seats should be removed anyway
View Quote

God was trying.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:53:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Two month old 737 Max-9.  This doesn’t look good for Boeing and if the investigation uncovers a design problem that’ll ground the fleet, again.

Look for other carriers to ground theirs for a detailed inspection, as soon as tonight.  Going to be a few delayed flights tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:58:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Competence crisis strikes again?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:14:51 AM EDT
[#46]
the oxygen masks are a metal tube that activates when the pin(kinda like on a grenade) gets pulled.So if ever you need to put on your oxygen mask
pull the mask hard so the pin releases.the masks use a chemical reaction in the tubes to provide oxygen--and get really hot.

I used to be the "king of the oweed"(over wing emergency exit door) and told the engineers what was wrong with their design.on the airbus A220.

I also used to do all the NCR's on the rear plug door on the bombardier 900 series regional jet.the plug door was not used so they installed more seats there--
and I had to rework all the area for more seat rails.

That failure was a total cluster fuck--someone in production didn't close off that door properly.You can see the mounting points for that door.

honestly,American aircraft production leaves a lot to be desired.I inspected Airbus A220's made in the USA and the shit I saw would NEVER have passed in Canada--I did audits.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:26:20 AM EDT
[#47]
If it's Boeing, I ain't going.  

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:32:31 AM EDT
[#48]
Somebody's bomb didn't completely go off lol
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:37:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

The way I see it there are only two possibilities.

1.  Someone actuated the handle.

2.  The door was not latched before departure.

I don't work on the 737 but the door stops around the frame will not allow the door to move outward unless it is shifted away from them (by the actuating handle and operating mechanism).

Not always, but there is usually electronic door indication by microswitches, so if the door was unlatched before takeoff, a crew doing their job would have noticed this on their EICAS or MFD.

I would say there is more chance that one of the passengers opened it at a low altitude before differential pressure rose to the point where friction would make the door extremely difficult to open.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:38:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Movies tell me that when this happens, the emergency masks drop and the flight attendants start flying out towards the hole until they’re able to grab onto a seat while other passengers help.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top