Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:19:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was stopped by a Texas State Trooper a few months back and noticed that he had an enamel National Defense Service Medal ribbon on his uniform, so I asked him about it. He said that DPS had just authorized the wear of certain military ribbons if the Trooper had been awarded them while in the US military.

This is the only way police should be wearing these things. Making up their own awards and wearing ribbons that already have a meaning for something else is bullshit.

Have you seen the DC police cunt chief's borrowed fruit salad?

It's fuckin' amazing.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/content/files/2011/04/Cathy_Lanier_insert_cMichael_Key-199x300.jpg

I don't know anything about her, aside that DC Metro is a joke of a PD, but at least those are original ribbons and not US military ribbons that she didn't earn in the military.

I see an Army ribbon in there. The Army service ribbon, AKA fruitloop badge.

http://www.soldiercity.com/images/products/300PIX/RB551_300PIX.JPG

ghey, seriously ghey,
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Re-purposing" military awards that are still in use makes a laughing stock out of any idiot who wears them without having earned them in the military.

So Sgt strips earned in LE would make me a "laughing stock" because the .mil has Sgt's too

Rank is different than a specific award, right? You're trying to manufacture an argument here. I think I was pretty specific about that with which I disagree.

The military wears helmets. Police SWAT teams wear helmets. No one objects to the police wearing helmets just because the military also wears them.

your rank is earned and awarded to you. the insignia is identical to the .mil.
this is your argument, not mine.  An LEO earns an award, and your pissed off just because the patch
he gets looks like the one the .mil uses.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
What's "inspection"?

You know, when the supervisor looks over his guys during briefing and makes sure they meet the uniform and appearance standard.
I know, I know, you're gonna go for NYPD.
A guy with staples for a hem shouldn't be allowed on the street

The majority of the department shouldn't be allowed on the street.
Seriously though, no inspection here.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:27:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#6]
County police here have their own awards, but if you are a vet you can wear your National defense ribbon
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Workman said the police department official told him that they’re going to change to their own ribbon system, which he was glad to hear. Now he hopes other police departments doing the same will think about their own regulations and change them too, he added

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:36:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
"Re-purposing" military awards that are still in use makes a laughing stock out of any idiot who wears them without having earned them in the military.

Totally agree. I personally think police ribbons are lame anyways, but I know some people like them. I like the idea of mil veterans being able to wear certain military awards/ribbons.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:44:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Considering they have been rewarding officers with ribbons for at least 50-60 years I don't see any big controversy.  The local PD can assign any description they want for a ribbon of certain colors, just because it LOOKS LIKE a ribbon in use by a different organization means nothing.  There are limited number of color combinations available for a small ribbon, so some common combinations are bound to exist.

If a person looks at a ribbon and wants to assign another meaning beyond the one assigned by the issuing agency, that's their personal problem.

Now if an agency copied something like the Medal of Honor, including all the original wording, that's a different issue, but just colors on a ribbon?  Gimme a break.

There's a difference between it being similar and being the exact same damn ribbon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:46:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was stopped by a Texas State Trooper a few months back and noticed that he had an enamel National Defense Service Medal ribbon on his uniform, so I asked him about it. He said that DPS had just authorized the wear of certain military ribbons if the Trooper had been awarded them while in the US military.

This is the only way police should be wearing these things. Making up their own awards and wearing ribbons that already have a meaning for something else is bullshit.

Have you seen the DC police cunt chief's borrowed fruit salad?

It's fuckin' amazing.

http://www.washingtonblade.com/content/files/2011/04/Cathy_Lanier_insert_cMichael_Key-199x300.jpg

I don't know anything about her, aside that DC Metro is a joke of a PD, but at least those are original ribbons and not US military ribbons that she didn't earn in the military.

I spot two that are in use by the military.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:49:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Bullshit.  Gall's is a HUGE police supply company, they already have enameled ribbons for every award out there, and make custom ones, too.  

No need to go stealing from men who did far different stuff to get theirs.    
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have no idea if any of our ribbons have ever been used in the .mil, nor do I care.  I'm not claiming .mil service, and don't need to.  I've busted my ass for the citizens of this country for 12 years, which is a whole hell of a lot more than most of arfcom can say.  Why it matters whether or not our ribbons are used in other organizations is beyond me.  

Too cheap or uncaring?  Do you know the setup cost for custom bars?  A lot of small departments would rather use what is already out there and give that saved money to the troops who earn it every day, or better yet, use the cheaper pre-made bars to save taxpayers money.

$2.25 each.

And while you may not care what other people have done to earn the ribbons that you wear if they were indeed repurposed ones I'm guessing you'd take offense to folks using your badge design for their own purposes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bullshit.  Gall's is a HUGE police supply company, they already have enameled ribbons for every award out there, and make custom ones, too.  

Yep.

Though, on the other hand, there are only so many colored patterns that you can put on a 1"x1/4" strip of vinyl before there's some crossover...
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If there were no alternative, I'd have no problem with it, but clearly there are alternatives.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Though, on the other hand, there are only so many colored patterns that you can put on a 1"x1/4" strip of vinyl before there's some crossover...

It's one thing to accidently pick a pattern that has already been used.  These things happen.  It's a different story completely to buy off the shelf ones that you know are already in use.

The most incredible part of this thread is that the department in question has already admitted their error and is going to fix it yet folks are still defending them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:02:29 AM EDT
[#16]
There's an entire industry dedicated to making cheap award tchotchkes

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:03:29 AM EDT
[#17]
How many dag's do they have to kill before being awarded the "Canine Crusader" medal?

EDIT: GD I'm slow. I like the earlier suggestion of "Canine Action Badge" better.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:06:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've never understood how NYPD tells 30K officers they have to buy their own stuff.

Because the city doesn't want to pay for all that crap. We're talking tens of millions of dollars worth of stuff.

And theoretically people take better care of something that they pay for rather than getting for free.

You've obviously never seen NYPD cops who stapled the hems into their pant's legs rather than paying the person at the dry cleaners to hem them.

You can't be serious. That's absurd.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:07:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
As long as those ribbons help them get home safely at night then I'm all for it.

Yeah...  
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have no idea if any of our ribbons have ever been used in the .mil, nor do I care.  I'm not claiming .mil service, and don't need to.  I've busted my ass for the citizens of this country for 12 years, which is a whole hell of a lot more than most of arfcom can say.  Why it matters whether or not our ribbons are used in other organizations is beyond me.  

Too cheap or uncaring?  Do you know the setup cost for custom bars?  A lot of small departments would rather use what is already out there and give that saved money to the troops who earn it every day, or better yet, use the cheaper pre-made bars to save taxpayers money.

$2.25 each.

And while you may not care what other people have done to earn the ribbons that you wear if they were indeed repurposed ones I'm guessing you'd take offense to folks using your badge design for their own purposes.

I'm guessing Code 4 is going to go 10-7 after that one.  

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#21]
[quote tree was here]

Dead serious. Saw it tons of times. Arfcom member runcible and I both worked with a guy who always did it.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Pretty soon it will be like a South American Banana Republic.
Cops looking like Generals.

Well, except when in full blown cammo/swat gear, which is more and more frequent.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't really care but I must admit I'm impressed.  Thought you guys were still hung up on what pants other men wear.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:27:59 AM EDT
[#24]
It would bother me if I had to get up every day and put on 37 pieces of flair.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:37:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well, except when in full blown cammo/swat gear, which is more and more frequent.

Maybe where you live.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 9:50:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
So this police department authorize the CAB?

Canine action badge?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Awarded for each time the occifer shoots a dog.
http://d2jxk7u2ol2fk7.cloudfront.net/image/thumb/large/CombatActionNickel4.jpg

you get that for 250 melee kills in COD IIRC
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

$2.25 each.

I'm guessing Code 4 is going to go 10-7 after that one.  

Nope, those are all stock, and look military-ish.

ETA: Note I said custom bars in my post.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:24:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally agree. I personally think police ribbons are lame anyways, but I know some people like them. I like the idea of mil veterans being able to wear certain military awards/ribbons.

Yea, I really like that idea. Really shows the commitment that some people have of serving our country twice.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:41:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do ya'll think this is ok?

If I see one of these bozos can I citizen arrest them under the stolen valor act?

They aren't claiming military service. The dept has adopted a military ribbon and designated it to equate to something within their own internal awards system.
Its cheaper than designing and buying their own ribbons.

Most depts. have some form of ribbon or award system and a uniform policy that dictates what awards can be worn and in what manner

How much flair does she have on her uniform??
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://images.quickblogcast.com/111943-104535/Ryff11.jpg?a=58

pretty sure generals have more ribbons then that
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2.25 each.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:53:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Normal Guy = want-a-be School Crossing Guard

School Crossing Guard = want-a-be Security Guard

Security Guard = want-a-be Aromor Car Guard

Armor Car Guard = want-a-be Law Enforcment Officer

Law Enforcement Officer = want-a-be Military

Military = want-a-be Special Forces Operator

Special Forces Operator = want-a-be normal guy

And so the cycle continues.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 11:56:29 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why don't they just institute their own system and medals? Other departments have done it for decades.

Not every dept can afford their own medals and ribbons
We just reinstituted our  awards system a couple of  years ago after the whole system was defunct for a couple of decades and I THINK the source for medals was just some generic police medals company

The department was trying to do a good thing while saving a few bucks.  They weren't trying to insult anyone and only guilty of poor planning.

Agreed.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Why don't they just institute their own system and medals? Other departments have done it for decades.
My old dept. has bars you can wear, doesn't cost the PD anything because you have to buy them yourself.

Same here, except instead of bars they're little circle-ish things.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:24:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I see one of these bozos can I citizen arrest them under the stolen valor act?
I guess if the military can't police then the police will military.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$2.25 each.

http://www.gunthorp.com/images/ccw%20badge%206374.jpg
http://i684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/User2525/ltcbadge-1.jpg

And 99% of us will laugh at them and call them wannabees...   hint... hint...
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 1:13:45 PM EDT
[#38]
IN before ranger tabs go on police uniforms
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Is there a doughnut ribbon?
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

All the SWAT guys here have SWAT tabs.

It looks kinda stupid, but whatever.

I also really like the combination of being overweight and having a high-and-tight.  The Farva look just never stops being funny to me.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 2:35:35 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Too late...  We've got several former rangers that have been authorized to wear their tabs, not sure why...

When I say their tabs, they have little Ranger pins they wear above their name tags.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 2:41:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 2:45:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#44]
I gots one!

Officer Friendly, Fifth Award.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#45]
We need some Thai action in here.

Hello Kitty

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:21:50 PM EDT
[#46]
I think I am going to come up with various fruit salad ribbons for pilots.  Landed the lane safely, flew in weather, maybe a big special commendation for engine failure......In reality I'm just doing the job that I am paid to do.
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:30:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Hell, I disagree with the idea of police wearing ANY insignia or decorations that are worn by servicemen.  INCLUDING rank insignia.

When I see a police chief wearing stars,  it makes me angry.  Particularly if the chief of a big city department is wearing a circle of five stars.

They should have their own rank and awards system, but every bit of it should be separate and distinct from any military insignia or decoration.

CJ
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:37:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think I am going to come up with various fruit salad ribbons for pilots.  Landed the lane safely, flew in weather, maybe a big special commendation for engine failure......In reality I'm just doing the job that I am paid to do.

I'm stealing this, the gear save I just had will be noted with a DFC, but I'll rename it and promote myself to Sky Knight which happens to have the same insignia as a colonel
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:41:20 PM EDT
[#49]

We use the place holders above the badge for certain pins.

American flag.. which academy you went too.. saving a life.. etc..
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 4:02:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/p480x480/577635_529062513806586_1833997164_n.jpg

We use the place holders above the badge for certain pins.

American flag.. which academy you went too.. saving a life.. etc..

That layout looks pretty sharp.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top