Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2017 6:35:32 PM EDT
Now that we have multiple carrier groups in the Sea of Japan, I've been thinking. If the Norks get close to our groups with their subs, would we just take them out with the silent hunters, SSNs' and second question, would we keep our mouths tight lipped if we did? (the ol' SSS- Shoot, Sink, Shut up)
Your thoughts?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What submarines?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if we do shit like tap on their hull with an inert torpedo if they start wandering close.  Just have an SSN lurking silently, hovering on the 'perimeter' and waiting for them to toe the line...

I bet the N. korean captain shits his pants so hard they GTFO, dear leader be damned.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:11:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone that truly knows the answer to that isn't going to be posting in this thread.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone that truly knows the answer to that isn't going to be posting in this thread.
View Quote
Agreed, but one of those things that make you go "hmmmmmm"

I just hope the next time I see the Submarine comparison chart by country, the Norks are missing a few dozen.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
We need to bring back the S-3 Vikings.

Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:34:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wonder if we do shit like tap on their hull with an inert torpedo if they start wandering close.  Just have an SSN lurking silently, hovering on the 'perimeter' and waiting for them to toe the line...

I bet the N. korean captain shits his pants so hard they GTFO, dear leader be damned.
View Quote
Far less expensive to sneak up behind them and give the Vasiline treatment. You know:  "One ping, Vasily."
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:41:07 PM EDT
[#7]
21 years in Navy on subs, no answer from me but I know what's happening.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Accidents happen.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:46:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Ever heard the term 'Silent Service'?

As I recall, 70 years or Death, which ever is longer...
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
21 years in Navy on subs, no answer from me but I know what's happening.
View Quote
If thats your boat in your pic, it needs a good hydroblasting, you all were going really slow for a while....
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:47:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Uh do you think Nork subs can make it out of their coastal waters? Or out of harbor?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 7:51:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Uh do you think Nork subs can make it out of their coastal waters? Or out of harbor?
View Quote
I believe some of their subs can. If I recall they had 5-6 different types of subs and sizes.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No expert, but well-handled, modern, diesel/electric subs have embarrassed US Carrier Groups in the past.  I doubt the NORK subs and skippers are up to the task, but it is a reality that very quiet diesel/electric subs are problematic--and potentially deadly.

It is true that given enough assets, such advanced subs can usually be detected, but the right assets, in adequate quantity, and in the right place, are seldom available.

The NORK subs are not technically advanced.  Still, something of which to be aware. 

US Carrier Groups generally rely on being rather far out to sea, and relative to the diesel/electric subs, fast-moving/course-changing for defense, in addition to their inherent ASW assets.

Most modern diesel/electric subs are considered short-range vessels, and suitable for coastal defense.  Very few are considered to be long-range vessels because they must spend so much time surfaced, or have their schnorkels available for detection.  German subs operating with schnorkels were often detected during WW II, and so brought under attack  The means of detection nowadays is no doubt better, but whether it has been deployed, and trained-up is another question.
View Quote
Great information!
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 10:01:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The means of detection nowadays is no doubt better, but whether it has been deployed, and trained-up is another question.
View Quote
It's a well-known fact that a metallic mass moving through seawater will generate an electric current.
I refuse to believe that US Navy subs don't utilize this fact to detect other ships.
I put that question to a guy at a party (his job was basically that of Jonesey in Red October), and he very quickly and pointedly changed the subject.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top