Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#1]
So many choices: Jameco, Mouser, Allied, Electronix Express, and others.
All online.
Radio Shack has been the last choice for anything for decades.
Welcome to the world of real hobby electronics!
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
I had one about 2 miles away, was there last Oct.
Went to get an antenna connector last week and it store was gone for good.
I looked up the part number on line and said it was in stock there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Realistically I'm missin it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What the fuck is Radio Shack!
What you did there...
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Does radio shack even sell soldering stuff anymore? I thought they were a phone store now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Haven't they been closed for like a decade?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:05:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I knew guys that thought the TRS-80 and the "CoCo" were the personal computers to end all personal computers - better than any Apple and way cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:05:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quite a bit of the nicer Realistic stuff was rebadged Pioneer, among other brands. IIIRC, some of the headphones were Koss.
View Quote
My receiver I bought from them back in the mid 80's was made by Kenwood . It was one of the first digital tunning high power receivers  they carried. It was rated at 100 watts and one of the big audio mags back then tested it and gave it very high marks along with a comment that it was grossly under rated on its power output.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:12:40 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my first line of credit from Radio Shack in like 1985 or so for a radar detector. I liked the stores back in the day. I had two years is electronics in high school often part parts for minor repairs. But as time passed electronics got better and cheaper and I lost intrest.

Radio Shack had it's time and place in history.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#9]
They started their death spiral years ago when they wouldn't sell you a battery without demanding your name, phone number, and home address.  

Now we happily give all that to Amazon in exchange for two-day shipping.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Radio Shack . . . you've got questions; we've got answers.

But in the closing years their only answer involved selling me a cell phone plan.

Anybody else old enough to remember Allied Electronics catalogs?  LINK

When everything went to solid state electronics and integrated circuits and was imported from China, everything became disposable rather than repairable.
View Quote
Speak for yourself, I repair electronic stuff all the time.

Seriously. I've repaired everything from my kid's belt fed Nerf gun to the power rectifier in my Sony Bravia television.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 9:17:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They started their death spiral years ago when they wouldn't sell you a battery without demanding your name, phone number, and home address.  

Now we happily give all that to Amazon in exchange for two-day shipping.
View Quote
That's the truth, right there.

I believe they were the first to think they needed your life story; otherwise the magic cash register couldn't ring up your sale.

What they were good for back in the day was those scanners. Up until sometime in the 1990s you could buy those scanners and at least some of them had frequency ranges you could unlock. The law changed here in the US in the 1990s to read that cellular users, for example, had a reasonable expectation of privacy and it became illegal to import an unlockable receiver for sale to someone like me.

I had the PRO-2006, a receiver that was very, very easy to unlock. You gained the freqs up between 800 and 900 megs. You also gained a previously hidden step. I think it was maybe 12.5KHz. That was what you needed to listen to cellular back in the day.

I guess no one needs an antenna on top of their house anymore. RS had their day, but that day ended more than a decade ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
they deserved it. abandoned their base and shilled cheap chinese shit, flimsy RC cars, and trinkets. At the end their hobbyist section was like 4 drawers of shitty switches and low output leds.
View Quote
They didn't land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed on them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I had one about 2 miles away, was there last Oct.
Went to get an antenna connector last week and it store was gone for good.
I looked up the part number on line and said it was in stock there.
View Quote
To be fair they probably had one in stock when they locked the doors forever.  It might still be in the backroom.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Microcenter has stuff those of us who are electronically gifted need.

If you find a Radio Shack that's going out of business, you can absolutely buy all kinds of stuff for a quarter of what you'd get it anywhere else.

I had three within ten miles of me and I went to all three and bought all kinds of stuff. Reloaded my resistor, capacitor, inductors and diodes stash. Found a quarter farad capacitor and snapped that bitch up for laughs. Got two brand new fluke meters, a 115 and 117 for $60 apiece. New soldering irons, tips, soldersucker, and temperature control on the cheap too. Everyone else was snapping up remote controlled cars and batteries and shit, and I grabbed a metric shit ton of batteries too, CR123's and 2032's, but the best finds were the components because almost nobody else was snapping them up.
View Quote
No Microcenter here man.  I did stop in at RS yesterday and picked up a few things for dirt cheap though.  Pickins were slim though.  What I really needed was desoldering wick or a desoldering iron.  I guess I'll make my own with coax cable and flux.  I admit they shot themselves in the foot by trying to push cell phones on everyone.  They were super convenient though for projects.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:22:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Get Amazon Prime.  Two days.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:25:42 AM EDT
[#17]
I really believe what really killed Radio Shack was them asking for all my information when I paid for my purchase. Cash didn't matter. Even for batteries! I avoided them like the plague and only went there when I had no choice.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#18]
First the love shack, then radio shack. Next we'll hear that rock lobsters are extinct.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:28:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:35:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You're too used to that surround sound crap.  Old -school two channel thump your guts audio is where it's at.

View Quote
God bless you son.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:35:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't really care that Radio Shack is gone, and the market for that kind of stuff is shrinking in some areas, growing in others, but it's damn hard to find just basic stuff sometimes without ordering it. I guess Fry's would be the closest to me, but  how long before they're out too? It's a pretty rough place to shop now a days. Other than that, I'm on the south side of Dallas, most of that kind of stuff is on the other side of town, a good 40 minute drive. Mouser is way out on the west side, might as well order from them, but their website can be a bitch to find stuff. Medium sized towns with Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart? Forget it, you're ordering whatever you need in.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Say what you will about RS, but it was handy to have the option to go to the local RS store and pick up some resistors, hook up wire, or a toggle switch and not have to put your project on hold for several days. 

I'll miss the nearby accessibility of electronics parts...especially when I run out in the middle of cobbling something together. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:49:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Check out Jameco, OP. They carry a lot of the items Radio Shack used to, including some items Mouser and Digikey don't carry.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I had forgotten them wanting my information when I was buying batteries.  That is why I stopped going.

Anyone remember the Heath Electronic Stores?  The first color TV my parents had was a HeathKit TV.  It had an RCA picture tube made in San Diego (IIRC, but definitely SC) and my father and I assembled the circuit boards and soldered them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had forgotten them wanting my information when I was buying batteries.  That is why I stopped going.

Anyone remember the Heath Electronic Stores?  The first color TV my parents had was a HeathKit TV.  It had an RCA picture tube made in San Diego (IIRC, but definitely SC) and my father and I assembled the circuit boards and soldered them.
View Quote
Sure do!  Built a couple robot kits from there and they were cool enough to print out their BBS's code for me when I started my own BBS.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:01:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Since all the local stores closed I drove to a store twenty miles away but they were closing as well.  I'm trying to rehab an old Soundcraftsmen amp and needed some soldering tools.  Fuck me I just need some soldering braid.  Now I'll have to wait till next weekend thanks to Amazon.  FUCFUCFUCFUCFUCFUCFUCFUCFUCFUCFUC
View Quote
Soldering tools? Have you heard of Grainger?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#28]
I have an entire tool box full of multiples of just about everything that was in the components cabinets. I caught the two near me when the stuff was 80% off, I went nuts in there. My receipts were about 10 feet long. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:08:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Does this mean my battery of the month club card no worky?
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:19:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

What you did there...
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:23:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 12:13:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
they deserved it. abandoned their base and shilled cheap chinese shit, flimsy RC cars, and trinkets. At the end their hobbyist section was like 4 drawers of shitty switches and low output leds.
View Quote
So true. Radio Shack completely missed the entire Maker movement and tried to become a cell phone store. They could have owned that market.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ha!  Well I got it and LOLd.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:39:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I still miss the old Tandy Leather store that used to be here.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used to go there when I was a kid, and get the stuff to build my own Radios, fix TVs that was thrown in the trash, install stereos in my car......

Not just buy stuff like the kids today......
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#36]
"duhhhh, i don't think we carry weeener diodes..."ZEENER"  diodes, oh whatever, man.

what you REALLY need is a new cell phone!

...but your's isn't a good cell phone...

...you need THIS cell phone...

...then you need ANOTHER cell phone.

I told you, I don't think we carry weener diodes."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 2:44:42 PM EDT
[#37]
I stopped by one two weeks ago and cleaned them out of solder and heat shrink tubing  at 80% off.
It's a vape shop now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Fuck Radio Shaft and their overpriced junk, and know nothing mall clerks.
Find a local TV shop, make a friend, shop mom and pop shops.
See user name.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#39]
I just saw one in Mexico two weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
A place that used to sell electronics and electronic project supplies for geeks.
Around ten years ago, the became a cell phone store, but we didn't need one so they started going under.

I can see how somebody under say... age 20 would have no idea about them.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 3:47:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I actually saw a radio shack that appeared to be open last weekend in Mission Kansas.
maybe they didn't get word that they died yet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:06:59 PM EDT
[#43]
About 25 or 30 years ago the Radio Shack store in our mall hired the woman (dead now) who lived across the street from me. She had zero electronic education or experience. She really had no knowledge of anything at all as best I could tell.  

I asked her what she was supposed to be doing in the Radio Shack store and she said that she was selling computers.

I seriously doubt that she could have turned one on.

I spoke with an electronics technician at work about it and he said, "Oh. Radio Shack will not hire you if you know anything about electronics."
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I actually saw a radio shack that appeared to be open last weekend in Mission Kansas.
maybe they didn't get word that they died yet.
View Quote
Like that one fighter left on some pacific island.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Sure do!  Built a couple robot kits from there and they were cool enough to print out their BBS's code for me when I started my own BBS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Heathkit catalog was a toy catalog for me back in the late 70's and early 80's.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:28:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Attachment Attached File
Quoted:

View Quote
LMFAO
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This right here. The Fry's I go to has a hell of a lot more than Radio Shack ever had.
View Quote
Yah, Fry's is a great place. It's usually the first place I hit up whenever I fly into Vegas. Its right at the end of the airport property. I could spend half a day there. I guess that's why they sell sandwiches, drinks, and deserts in the middle of it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It was only a matter of time, imo...
View Quote
Agreed.
Many years ago, I graduated from Tech school and was looking for a job locally. I found some but they were about 100 miles away.

I thought I might work at the local Radio shack until something came up. They would not hire me because I did not have any retail sales experience.

I asked about my having electronics knowledge and they said they did not require that.....and now most are closed or closing. Oh, and I did get a job, then another and made a good career in my field.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:44:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Used to play hangman during recess on a Tandy computer like this. RIP Radio Shack.

Link Posted: 5/8/2017 7:48:40 PM EDT
[#50]
Guess I'm lucky, my local radio shack still has full parts sections, tools, etc. Hell I just bought a bunch of sections of antenna mast a while back that they had in the stock room for 80% off while I was in there buying some other stuff for an antenna build
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top