Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Why don't you go ahead and finish that insult you had lined up about Tiger?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty sure this is the best SOnz uh gunz thread yet.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I had a real customer ask for it....  Producers found out about and asked to use it in an episode.   (Actually was three guns used during filming).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But why?

I had a real customer ask for it....  Producers found out about and asked to use it in an episode.   (Actually was three guns used during filming).

Kinda sounds like bullshit to me...
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Fuck me that's hideous.
View Quote

Well It's a technical story board, not a completed firearm.   How else do you get a non gun type of Hollywood producer to understand a concept of putting a Glock magwell on a MAC?

I thought you folks might want to see some of the behind the scenes of how it went down.  

I apologize if it's hideousness offends you.  I guess there is no need to post the videos then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:12:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The guy at West Coast Customs was pretty weird, like the guy on Texas Metal. Neither guy I would want to build me a car or me go to work for them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were the West Coast Choppers of guns. Just a bunch of goofy ass shit.

You mean your local New York boys Orange County Choppers.

West Coast Choppers was never a show, but they did make good parts. I used a lot of WCC steel fenders building bikes.

Derp. You're right. I think I was thinking of "West Coast Customs" (the Pimp My Ride people) and got it all mixed up.

The guy at West Coast Customs was pretty weird, like the guy on Texas Metal. Neither guy I would want to build me a car or me go to work for them.

Did either offer you a job???
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:12:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Kinda sounds like bullshit to me...
View Quote

There is quite few videos on youtube of the owner shooting it at an Oregon MG shoot.  

I don't bullshit FWIW.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:34:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Well It's a technical story board, not a completed firearm.   How else do you get a non gun type of Hollywood producer to understand a concept of putting a Glock magwell on a MAC?

I thought you folks might want to see some of the behind the scenes of how it went down.  

I apologize if it's hideousness offends you.  I guess there is no need to post the videos then.
View Quote

Those Capitol City Raceframe's looked really nice. Would have liked to have handled one IRL.

As for Mac's taking Glock magazines, don't they offer that as an option for the semi auto Mac's nowadays?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

As for Mac's taking Glock magazines, don't they offer that as an option for the semi auto Mac's nowadays?
View Quote

Yes they do...Only after it aired on TV.   Folks at Masterpiece Arms still do.  

You touched on something though.  The show did get some ideas out there and in a case or two even into production and into hands of shooting enthusiasts.

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 1:47:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Fuck me that's hideous.
View All Quotes

Frankly if you want to continue to violate the COC and call me names...Go for it sport.  I'll be your huckleberry.

Perhaps you should consider the fact you don't know shit about what you posting about?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thankfully Forged in Fire avoided that formula.
View Quote

A sledge hammer in one hand, and a piece of steel heated to 1000+ degrees in the other puts you in charge of the discussion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yes they do...Only after it aired on TV.   Folks at Masterpiece Arms still do.  

You touched on something though.  The show did get some ideas out there and in a case or two even into production and into hands of shooting enthusiasts.

View Quote

Did y’all have a hand in that flashlight folding gun thing?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:46:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Did y’all have a hand in that flashlight folding gun thing?
View Quote

NOPE...Had nothing to do with that episode.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 2:48:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Never heard of it.  Tell me more about it OP.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hate to break your bubble there...  I made and designed that weapon.   
Frankly if you want to continue to violate the COC and call me names...Go for it sport.  I'll be your huckleberry.

Perhaps you should consider the fact you don't know shit about what you posting about?
View Quote

Do you realize that nobody knows who the hell you are?  And if you had kept your mouth shut, you could have continued to exist here and nobody would have ever known you created that abortion.  People might have even listened to your advice on weapons related topics.

But now the cat is out of the bag.  And that, along with these "Threats" of being a Dingleberry or whatever you are trying to say, lets everyone know just what a giant TOOL you actually are.

Maybe you should take your own advice.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Meh, I thought your build was pretty cool. Not a fan of attaching it to an AK but the MAC to Glock was pretty sweet
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I kinda want a RJF lower now just for shits
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:38:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Did everyone forget about this one?!?!?

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:41:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:52:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

BIG CHOPPERS NEED BIG COAL!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Marine One is a helicopter

Runs on nut coal.

BIG CHOPPERS NEED BIG COAL!

Lol
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I recall one of the guys on the set complaining about all the dicking around that was going on while they were trying to get shit done and one of the producers said, "Don't forget, we're not making guns here, we're making a TV show".

The head "Executive" producer was a Brit...or maybe from Australia.  There were a shit load of assistant-producers.  Lots of Chiefs and not many Indians on the production crew.  The head camera man actually knew more about making a TV show than any of the producers. He was a good guy and the show would have been much better if he had been in charge.   He actually filmed a bunch of episodes of Deadliest Catch and was the guy in the survival suit filming the ships from the water.  The guy had some cast iron balls to get in a survival suit, strap on a camera and jump in the frigid ocean in rough seas, just to get a cool film clip for TV.   Sadly, he passed away a couple of years ago.  His name was Zach McFarlane, far left.

Tony

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:33:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:52:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Nevah Been Done Befo'

Remember how awful it was?  What can we make this week?  An NFA-registered double M16 crew served quad or something?

When it turned out the father was molesting the daughter and that's why daddy didn't want the boyfriend in the picture I had ZERO surprise.

The Perp
View Quote

It's like you're finding stuff on the internet never before seen by mankind.

Brace yourself, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor in 1941.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:57:38 AM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

Is it true that those hatchet man clowns wasted a transferable M1919 on that bullshit?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:43:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I think the only decent Red Jacket product would ha e been the bull pup 10/22 stock that got killed when Pedodaddy got caught.
View Quote

ZK-22.  I have one of them and like it.  Wonder if it will ever be worth anything.  

Aklys Defense now sells them.  ZK-22
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why does everybody keep saying that?

I never claimed this thread was breaking news. It's ENTERTAINMENT.  I KNOW threads on Sons of Guns have been done before.  Never claimed otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Hate to break your bubble there...  I made and designed that weapon.  Many if not most of firearms on that show were made by other folks in the industry.  

We had no control over the derp that went on nor the story line.

That firearm was a real transferable MAC 11a1 that was converted to 9mm and fired 3500 rounds a minute.  It had to be mounted on a heavy host or you could not hold onto it...  Dude shooting it on film is also an FFL and is a member here.  

View Quote

Subscribed
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:20:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nevah Been Done Befo'

Remember how awful it was?  What can we make this week?  An NFA-registered double M16 crew served quad or something?

When it turned out the father was molesting the daughter and that's why daddy didn't want the boyfriend in the picture I had ZERO surprise.

The Perp

I'm pretty sure that was the Germans bruh...  
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:02:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Is it true that those hatchet man clowns wasted a transferable M1919 on that bullshit?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Or the time they hacked up a BAR, for Jessie James. Jessie likes some gaudy guns but fucking up a BAR was pretty bad.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#31]
so I spent 5 months of my life filming a reality show for Discovery.

Last Outpost ~ Discovery

After being behind the scenes and seeing everything that goes on, I can say for a fact that there is a lot of wrong theories and misinformation in this thread about how reality shows are made.

A production company comes up with an idea for a show, finds potential characters for the show, then film a "sizzle" (a short 2-3 minutes "pilot" to show the network) Then the production company starts showing off their "sizzle" to prospective networks until the network "green lights" the show. Once the show is greenlit they find a middle man, a "show runner" to be the liason between the network and the production company. The network submits their ideas, the production company submits their ideas, and they meet somewhere in the middle on the final product. The show runner interprets what the production company and the network agreed on and films what he thinks they want.

In our case, we were initually contacted because we work on random stuff in Alaska. Todd did one episode on another reality show and they reached out to him. they needed another "star" so he asked me to do it. They liked how we interacted together so they asked us a lot of questions about what we did and how we did it. Initally we were supposed to be 2 guys who run a remote outpost in Alaska that helped old trappers and miners by fixing their traps, guns, and mining equipment.... think Mountain Men, rustic, bartering, etc. What we ended up with was Fast and Loud / Bush People  

The "actors" are under contract to do whatever they are under contract to do. Which is basically listen to the show runner and act out whatever he tells them to do. Pretty much everything they ask you to do was written down months or weeks before you actually sit in front of the camera. The only thing that doesn't happen is you are not given lines to speak. The show runner typically asks you questions that you answer in your own words or tells you what they are trying to film. You film every scene at least 3 times so they can get different angles, sometimes they want you to repeat things, sometimes you don't have to because you are too far from the camera or you are not facing the camera.

Everything in a reality show is made up. The builds are made up. The way they acquire the parts for the builds are made up. Nothing is a surprise to the film crew.

Our show runner worked with Duck Dynasty and Gas Monkey garage. As an example if they were going to build a chevelle on Gas Monkey, they had it behind the scenes for months in advance. They had their behind the scenes mechanics go through it and order all the parts that they needed for the build. Then when it was time to "find" the chevelle in an old barn, they would haul it over there. Place it in a barn and then go film the find. Then they would bring it back to the garage and tear into it, all the while filming every aspect of the build.

Then in the same day, they would move the Chevelle out of the film studio, and move a C10 into the filming studio that will be on another episode and film that. Day in and day out filming several episodes at once for that season. You don't jump on a chevelle and work on it for 2 weeks filming the whole time, you work on every build for the whole season at once, by moving things in and out of the filming studio, while behind the scenes mechanics get the car further along in the process and ready to be filmed again by the stars.

Reality TV is no different than regular TV... the only difference is that they use under paid regular people that make it seem raw and real because they can't act, and yes they choose people who will bring drama. That's probably why we aren't filming another seaon.  

- Clint

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes, one of the reasons I stopped watching American Pickers is that I heard that advance scouting crews not only "find" cool places for them to pick, but apparently "plant" artifacts for them to "find" during the show.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:56:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Yes, one of the reasons I stopped watching American Pickers is that I heard that advance scouting crews not only "find" cool places for them to pick, but apparently "plant" artifacts for them to "find" during the show.
View Quote

Completely true

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#34]
I remember after Will lost his FFL, he tried rebranding RJF into flintlocks and muzzleloaders .
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:25:08 PM EDT
[#35]
@Alaskacajun
Thanks for that explanation. Makes me look at the whole reality thing in a new light
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@Alaskacajun
Thanks for that explanation. Makes me look at the whole reality thing in a new light
View Quote

My wife can't watch TV the same way anymore

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Pawn Stars is another one rife with fakery.  Apparently the actors on the show don't even live in Vegas and fly out there only to film the TV show.  I also noticed that on TV the camera makes the place look really roomy.  It's actually a tiny place.  We went to Vegas a few years ago and the outside of the building doesn't even look big enough to hold what you see on TV.  I've also heard that's a show where the customers are "plants" and the items they bring in are cooked up for the TV show (i.e. not actual customers bringing in real possessions).
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Go to the store once. Anything you'd actually want to buy is marked "personal collection-not for sale". The rest is TV show souvenirs.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:06:20 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  Several years ago they were about 2 hours south of us filming and someone from the production company called to see if we'd be interested in being on their show.  Neither my father nor I wanted any part of having our collection shown on TV so I gave them numbers of a few other folks in town that have collections of gas and oil stuff. One of the guys didn't want anything to do with them but the other guy invited them to come by.  They ended up "selling" him a visible gas pump that they'd picked up in southern Mississippi earlier in the week.  Every bit of their visit to his place was staged, from the filming of the van driving up his driveway to him waving goodbye as the left.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
@HistoricArmsLLC

Please ignore the haters.  

You make every thread you contribute to more enjoyable!
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pawn Stars is another one rife with fakery.  Apparently the actors on the show don't even live in Vegas and fly out there only to film the TV show.  I also noticed that on TV the camera makes the place look really roomy.  It's actually a tiny place.  We went to Vegas a few years ago and the outside of the building doesn't even look big enough to hold what you see on TV.  I've also heard that's a show where the customers are "plants" and the items they bring in are cooked up for the TV show (i.e. not actual customers bringing in real possessions).
View Quote

Pawn Stars is obviously all set up.  From what I've read the shop is more of a tourist attraction than an actual pawn shop at this point.  It's crowded with people just looking at everything with a line out the door waiting to come in.  Yet, on the show when a customer brings something in there are only a handful of people in the background.  They obviously shut the store down to film the episode.  That requires pre-planning and knowing that somebody is bringing something in.  The people coming in with something are obviously not just walking in off the street.  Not to mention Rick and his experts can't possibly know everything they talk about right off the top of their head.  They research the items before they come in.  Rebecca the book expert did an AMA on reddit.  She said that she is contacted ahead of time and told what book will be brought in so she can research beforehand.  Not to mention are we supposed to believe that these experts are sitting around with nothing to do or can drop everything and can come over to the pawn shop when Rick calls them.

I still like watching the show though.  And would like to do dirty things to the book expert.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Pawn Stars is obviously all set up.  From what I've read the shop is more of a tourist attraction than an actual pawn shop at this point.  It's crowded with people just looking at everything with a line out the door waiting to come in.  Yet, on the show when a customer brings something in there are only a handful of people in the background.  They obviously shut the store down to film the episode.  That requires pre-planning and knowing that somebody is bringing something in.  The people coming in with something are obviously not just walking in off the street.  Not to mention Rick and his experts can't possibly know everything they talk about right off the top of their head.  They research the items before they come in.  Rebecca the book expert did an AMA on reddit.  She said that she is contacted ahead of time and told what book will be brought in so she can research beforehand.  Not to mention are we supposed to believe that these experts are sitting around with nothing to do or can drop everything and can come over to the pawn shop when Rick calls them.

I still like watching the show though.  And would like to do dirty things to the book expert.
View Quote

Oh the "experts" know well in advance what they are looking at for the episode... so much so, that they are on set waiting to be filmed the whole time the episode is being filmed... and are available for several days as they film that episode, just in case the film crew needs to film them again.

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Another member here had a reality show based in Ak, Devils Canyon.
Gave us the play by play as it aired.  I thought it was good, too bad it didn't get a season 2

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:46:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pawn stars has people call in with items they want to bring in. Then they set up a time for the customer to bring in the item and employees and the producers look at the items and pick what goes on the show. Then the Guys show up for filming.  It is a very small place with a line down the block for people to walk through it. We went there about 5 years ago and I asked a employee about the show and how it comes across staged and told me it was and then told me all about it. While we were there they were getting ready to film a episode and tv crew walks around the store and down the block outside and hand picks the people to be in the background during filming. The wife and I got invited to stay and they hand you a clipboard with a bunch of legal jargon for you to sign.  It was intersting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#45]
What made me stop watching Pawn Stars is that with all the other fakery, I began to wonder if anything brought into the shop was even real.  I have no proof, but it just made me have enough doubts to stop watching it.

I think that was one of the things that stopped me from watching ANY so-called "reality" show.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#46]
So 90Day Fiance is fake?? Wtf
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:54:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
So 90Day Fiance is fake?? Wtf
View Quote

completely fake my man

- Clint
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
My theory with American Pickers were the buys were on the downlow and used that show and their van as an excuse to drive around and bang each other. You've basically got two dudes, one who is defintiely a bear, and another one who is some sort of weird twunk/otter mix driving around looking for antiques? I mean comeon.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#49]
I wonder how fake ice road truckers is.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I wonder how fake ice road truckers is.
View Quote

The ice road is real, the truckers are real... the rest is staged and made up drama.

- Clint
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top